Thread: What kind of battery is in your Z?

Member ID
    CZCC-7489

Default What kind of battery is in your Z?

Hey Folks,

I was curious as to what type/make battery you had in your 'Z'

Right now I have a regular lead acid battery in the 'Z'... after I drive the car and park back in the garage, I pull the battery, put it on the bench and hook up my smart charger to it to keep the battery charged... This get's to be a pain, BUT I'm worried about the acid boiling out, and getting all over the place in the engine bay if the charger goes wonky...

I also have a Red Top Optima that I have another smart charger in the garage, but it doesn't fit the factory battery hold down frame... I would prefer to switch to the sealed Optima that way I think I'm safer from battery acid getting all over the engine bay when it's hook-up to the charger.

I've never had a problem with a leaking battery... I'm I being paranoid??

thanks....
    -Phil

Phil
    71 Series-I
    HLS3010924 - Build 9/70

Member ID
    CZCC-7454

A dead one at the moment!
    Jerry Purcell
    1970 HLS30 00029 Owner since 1976 Now owned by Les Canaday (Classic Datsun Motorsports)
    1972 HLS30 93606 IZCC Registion #105 Original owner back home after full restoration by Classic Datsun Motorsports

Member ID
    CZCC-21454

Autozone Duralast gold 700 CCA. Works well.

Member ID
    CZCC-22303

I have a conventional battery with reversed posts (positive near the engine) and keep a maintainer on it most of the time. I've never had a leakage problem in all the 43+ years I've owned the car but have always had a good tray and drain tube under the battery. If a car is going to be stored/unused for a long period, pull the battery.

Jim Arnett
    HLS30-15320 12/1970, original owner
    L24-020208 (original)
    IZCC Original Owner Registry #53

Member ID
    CZCC-7489

Quote Originally Posted by JLPurcell View Post
    A dead one at the moment!
    Hahaha...... Yeah been there, after I've forgotten (actually just lazy) to put the charger on the battery

Phil
    71 Series-I
    HLS3010924 - Build 9/70

Low Budget/High Value
    Member ID
    CZCC-20342

The charger shouldn't cause any more leakage than the alternator in the car. The alternator can put out 60 amps if it needs to. Subtract out electrical load and you're still probably around 45-50 amps at normal driving speed, but only if the battery is discharged. Most chargers are in the 4 - 5 amp range I think. The voltages are about the same also, maybe higher for some alternator systems.
    1976 280Z, with some minor modifications

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

Lead acid from Auto Zone for last 4 years with reversed terminals. Still working fine.
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-18366

What I discovered is that the charger I had wanted to overcharge causing acid to come out. I bought a battery tender and it doesn't overcharge the battery so it does not release acid. My thinking is that the battery tender has smarter voltage sensing so it does no harm.

Member ID
    CZCC-8342

On the battery itself, I found out that Costco sells their own brand of battery, but it is made by the same company and to the same specs as the Interstate, but at 2/3 the price. Good deal? Yes, I got one for my Subaru daily driver and have been pleased with the result and the savings. Next time the Zed needs a battery that's where I'm going. Currently on my Zed I use a "Battery Tender" on a NAPA brand lead-acid battery and have had no leakage or problems and it sits idle most of the winter. I do start it occasionally and let it warm up before shutting down. Never a problem, always full power.

Cheers, Mike
    '73 240Z, 80,000 original miles, F54, N42 massaged and shaved (10.5-1 comp.), stage 2 cam, ZX ignition, Header, 2 1/2" exhaust w/ magnaflow muffler, 5 spd (Maxima), 4:11 R180 (200SX), 15" Rota RBs 205-60/15 Bridgestone Grid 109s, KYB struts, stock springs, rubber bushings, MSA sway bars and strut bars, HotRod Air hvac system, '90 300ZX seats, upgraded sound system, BRE-type spook and spoiler

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Quote Originally Posted by Pop's Z View Post
    On the battery itself, I found out that Costco sells their own brand of battery, but it is made by the same company and to the same specs as the Interstate, but at 2/3 the price.
    I needed a new battery for my '71 a couple weeks ago and went to Costco for that exact reason. I took my old battery in for a match and asked for a battery for a 1971 Datsun 240Z. First question was, "Who makes Datsun?". That was followed by, "Sorry, we don't carry or have a listing for that size battery, try the Interstate Battery store across the street.".

Instead, I went to Sam's Club and bought one off the rack for a reasonable price with a good warranty.
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Red Top in the White 72 - somewhere in this forum, I believe one person posted a diagram that shows how to build a custom top battery bracket for the Red Tops.

Interstate - in the Blue 72

Interstate Absorbed Glass Mat's {AGM} two of them in the BRE Z

All kept on battery tenders..

Important to note - that all of todays batteries have Posts that are no longer in the exact same position - as batteries from the 70's. The result is that the OEM Battery Hold Downs - now come very very closet to the terminals on the cables. I've had to wrap battery top hold down brackets with electrical tape - to assure that the positive terminals on the battery cables - don't come into contact with the bracket.

I bought a Firestone "FOREVER" battery in 1976… Firestone has been replacing it free of charge since then. They were lasting 3 to 4 years, when not kept on modern battery tenders. The last one lasted 7 years when kept on a battery tender. It was replaced by Firestone with an Interstate, which is what they now carry.

I say "battery tender" rather than "Battery Tender" because mine were made by Guest.. Battery Maintainer/Charger - charges at 3 amp if necessary. Otherwise it is a microprocessor controlled - Float Charger. It kicks on and charges when battery voltage drops to around 12.2 volts, kicks off when the charge is back up to 12.6. These Float Chargers keep your battery fully charged - and won't overcharge like the older Trickle Chargers could. There is no need to take the battery out of the car.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-21075

Optima Red Top
    4 + years
    1977 280z 06/77

Member ID
    CZCC-7489

Hey S30Driver,

How do you have your Red Top secured in the battery tray?

Need to find some sort of diversion from the TV right now... Hawks are getting schooled by the Chargers But it only the 3rd quarter.... still hope
    Last edited by peng155; 09-14-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Phil
    71 Series-I
    HLS3010924 - Build 9/70

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Member ID
    CZCC-7489

thanks Carl

Phil
    71 Series-I
    HLS3010924 - Build 9/70

Member ID
    CZCC-19584

I also use an Optima Red Top with positive and negative terminals reversed from original configuration. Best battery I have ever used. Started with marine applications first and now use them in all of my cars.

Instead of fabricating the bracket that Jeff G designed, I ended up going with a machined billet hold down plate that was specifically made for the Optimas. You can get these from numerous sources as well as eBay. I simply bolted the new Optima plate to the original battery plate that was welded into the Z. I had the back hold down bracket already installed, then slipped the battery in, then installed the front hold down bracket. It was a little tricky getting the bolts tightened and it was a relatively tight fit, but in the end it worked out great.

Here's a few pictures.

Mike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1805.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	74045 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1806.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	74046 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1798.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	74047
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1801.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	74048 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1804.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	74049

Member ID
    CZCC-7489

Hey Mike,

thanks for the suggestion.... I actually did order a billet hold down frame from Summit for the Optima, and was going to do exact the same as you, but the tray for the one I had ordered was physically to big to fit in the factory tray area... ended up sending it back.

I know some metal work guys from work, with the plans that Carl linked to, I'll probably have a bracket made up for me...

Thanks all for your input... it is apprceated
    Last edited by peng155; 09-14-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Phil
    71 Series-I
    HLS3010924 - Build 9/70

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    Red Top in the White 72 - somewhere in this forum, I believe one person posted a diagram that shows how to build a custom top battery bracket for the Red Tops.
    Thanks for linking my bracket drawing Carl. It was easy to make and only needed a few short welds which I had a friend do since I didn't have a welder at the time. I bought the steel at Home Depot.
    Last edited by Jeff G 78; 09-14-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Posted before reading all replies
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285
    '78 280 10:1 CR, Arizona Z Car header, urethane bushings, Tokico springs, Illumina struts, Panasports w/Hankook R-S2 225/50R16 tires, Maxima 105 amp alternator
    http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...00&ppuser=7975
    '74 260Z BRE look-alike crap can for Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series Racing racing
    https://www.facebook.com/Jeff.Grauer

Member ID
    CZCC-7489

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G 78 View Post
    Thanks for linking my bracket drawing Carl. It was easy to make and only needed a few short welds which I had a friend do since I didn't have a welder at the time. I bought the steel at Home Depot.
    Hey Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to come up with the CAD drawing for the bracket... it makes it real easy for me to just hand it to the metal guy's to fab up for me.

Phil

Phil
    71 Series-I
    HLS3010924 - Build 9/70

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

No problem Phil. I took CATIA training at work just before I bought my Optima and it was a good way to practice what I learned. I haven't used it much since then and couldn't possibly make that CAD model now.

Don't forget to have the fabricator swap the cantilevered hole for a piece of small tube. It works better than the simple hole like I put in the CAD model. Using heavy duty Velcro as a cushion has worked well and is still in good shape after many years of use.
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285
    '78 280 10:1 CR, Arizona Z Car header, urethane bushings, Tokico springs, Illumina struts, Panasports w/Hankook R-S2 225/50R16 tires, Maxima 105 amp alternator
    http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...00&ppuser=7975
    '74 260Z BRE look-alike crap can for Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series Racing racing
    https://www.facebook.com/Jeff.Grauer

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Jeff - ZTek has a battery hold down for the OEM Battery. I sent him a copy of your drawing/model - and ask if he had anything like that for the Optima. Must say he makes some very nice pieces.. BLING!

Polished Billet 240Z Logo Battery Hold Down 70 78 Datsun S30 | eBay

Will let you know..

I like Mike W's set up as well. Thanks for Posting that Mike.

Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-7489

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G 78 View Post
    Don't forget to have the fabricator swap the cantilevered hole for a piece of small tube.
    Hey Jeff,

I did see that change in your original post... good idea... I'll make sure I mention that to the fabricator when I see him.

Thanks again.

Phil
    71 Series-I
    HLS3010924 - Build 9/70

Member ID
    CZCC-10665

An Interstate Battery from Costco.

Thread Information