Thread: 73 240Z manual transmission swap to T5

Member ID
    CZCC-28247

Default 73 240Z manual transmission swap to T5

I have a rebuilt T5 from a 1983 280ZX Turbo that I want to put into my 73 240 Z. I have read many of the threads and have a good idea of what I need to do. All I need now is the correct bellhousing and driveline. I have searched for a couple of weeks now and have not found any. Any help finding a source for these would be greatly appreciated.

Member ID
    CZCC-12190

First welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to change the bell housing at all. All the ZX trannies fit the early Z's without modification (as far as bolting to the block goes). The bell housing switch thing involves using the later 240sx "C" type transmissions.

The rear crossmember won't bolt in nor will the driveshaft. You need the T5 driveshaft for its front yoke, and your old drive shaft for the diff end flange and a driveline shop to merge thoese two and make something the right length. The rear cross member will need a bit of a welding job to make it bolt to the trans tunnel mounts.

Be sure you take the throwout bearing collar from the T5, and make sure to get a clutch pressure plate and disk for the T5.

Common wisdom here (no personal experience, just parroting) suggests that T5 ain't the best 5 speed choice of all the available options. Reliability and gear ratio's seem to sited in most of the discussions that I read. The Nissan trannies tend to come out on top in most surveys. All that said, if you know where it came from and trust stories of its past life (like mileage), then it will work just fine and likely go forever on a stock 73 engine.
    -----------------------------------------
    Jim
    73 240Z HLS30 149331
    69 510 PL510 77603

www.zKars.com
    www.calgaryzclub.ca
    Reference materials
    www.xenonS30.com

Member ID
    CZCC-21075

You can also get a turbo car (not the 2+2) driveshaft and then the rear flange off the turbo car diff. The bolt pattern is slightly different on the turbo shaft and flange. Then have that driveshaft shortened.

The crossmember can work if it is turned around and modified for width. (cutting & welding)
    1977 280z 06/77

Member ID
    CZCC-28247

Thanks for the good advice zKars and S30Driver. I failed to mention that the T5 I have came without the bell housing and of course will not match up to my existing 1973 4 speed bell housing. I have a shop that has the correct crossmember that can be used. I also failed to mention that I am bolting it to an engine that is non-stock. Dyno reading at the rear wheels is 195 hp with existing 4 speed and R180 differential. Just having a hard time finding a bell housing and drive line. I have checked all the regional junkyards and Z sources (between North Idaho, Washington, and Oregon), Craigslist, e-bay, etc. Just thought a post to this site might prove useful.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Quote Originally Posted by zKars View Post
    Be sure you take the throwout bearing collar from the T5, and make sure to get a clutch pressure plate and disk for the T5.
    Just to add to Jims post. You will also need the flywheel to do this swap. It has a 240mm contact surface instead of the 225mm in the coupes. The 2+2 version also use the 240mm flywheel.
    If you go with the coupe clutch remember to use that throwout bearing collar.

Im with Jim on the T5 versus the 71C. Specially if you get the 240SX (S14) with the reverse synchro. Yea there is a number of different versions of the 71C out there.

Seeing you don't have the bell housing, the 71C might be your best option. If you are technically minded, the swap looks more complicated than it is. Using a series 1 driveshaft or shortening yours is a lot easier then getting the turbo one to fit. The turbo driveshaft is not easy to shorten because is diameter reduces just before the yokes.

Tamo3 is swapping a 71C into his 280Z now. You might want to check out his thread.

Goodluck
    Chas
    Last edited by EuroDat; 08-03-2014 at 05:50 AM.
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

Thread Information