Thread: Bull Run rally

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Default Bull Run rally

Is anybody watching the Bull Run rally on Spike TV? (Tuesdays 10p, re-airs Thursday 11p)

What do you think about the format of this rally; the day part is a 300 - 400 mile run from one city to the next, then an "Extended competition" (obstacle course) in the afternoon or evening, then a night run to the next city.

I like giving the teams a choice of a chosing the highway course, called "highway" or driving on their own routes, called "my way." Picking up a time bonus on the "my way" route seems to be a great thing if you're a little behind in time.

The best thing about the road course part is that they aren't making a big thing about the cars driving 100+ MPH the whole time, because they aren't. It just shows that you can compete at legal speeds.

busting the bulbs in the obstacle course looks like fun, but some of the teams don't really like having to scratch up the paint to do it. I'm not sure I'd like that even with the bumpers on the 280Z. Aren't those bulbs filled with Mercury vapor?

the flag babes are a nice touch, but I think they could rethink their costumes just a little, and they don't smile much. maybe a $10 fine for every time the TV camera catches them not smiling will fix that.

They initially said that the Bull Run rally is for exotic cars? I don't see how a Honda, or a TransAm or W-30 Olds is considered exoytic? And that cars are supposed to be invited to compete, but even that is a strange thing. According to the Sponsor, you need to get your car on CarDomain, and people vote on it to get into the rally.

Any of you west coast guys notice the rally or the TV support crews?

thx
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 03-29-2007 at 08:27 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Don't forget the next show of Bull Run is tomorrow, Tuesday night at 10pm ET on Spike TV.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Wink

Yeha I saw the 1st episode

I was highly impressed with some of the thought that went into this but the elimnation part is pretty Lame.

You figure if someone is allways eliminated every week then pretty soon it will it will be a race between 2 cars.
    Or worse, 3 or 4 cars that are to far apart where no ones close to each other for head to head on the street competion like what you see now when theres 3 cars at a time trying to pass each other in traffic ^_^

As far as paint on the cars go I thought about that too when I saw the F150 crash through wall as part of the competition.
    But you figure if you enter in a race of anykind other than a Street Race or casual Track Meet then you better plan on using the low grade stuff because things such as Guard Rails, Concreat Walls (ouch), and the dude diving in on the inside of your apex is gonna take paint.

Or so I read in a article on selecting paint for either Street, Track or Show use.
    Track is cheap
    Street is whatever
    and Concurs is expensive

So anyone entering Bull Run needs to grab a rattle can
    2 for a buck at the Dollor Store,
    your choice of colors !

~Z~

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

If you win the thing, and you get the $200,000 , then I suppose you can afford some more bodywork, and maybe even refresh the whole car, except for the F-150 and the TransAm, which are fairy new anyway, and would just need some paint on the front.

I'm surprised none of the csars has a bra on the front.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-7207

I was invited to participate in the Fireball Run.

http://fireballrun.com/

I gave it alot of thought too, but it's the same week as the nationals in Daytona Beach. No way am I going to miss the Nats.
    Sure sounds like fun though! But 9 days is a huge commitment.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Does anyone know when the Bull Run rallies actually occured? Like when was Spike TV out there with Carmen Electra & the 'flag babes' & all recording the show? This article is from the Reno, NV stop two years ago (Summer 2005), so maybe that's when they were there, not in March of this year, as I doubt WA has nice weather in March. There was also a statement by the shows organizer/producer, Andrewn Duncan.

They invite feedback on the show, but it's probably too late to suggest anything, unless they have this rally series again sometime.

I'm kinda surprised that there weren't any purpose-built cars more apt to compete & win (with a very good driving team) on the show. That, and an overall map of the sections that were used. I'll have to watch the next 6 weeks ofthe series to see where they went.

thx
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

For you northwest U.S. property owners, this is where the Bull Run rally has been to so far ( 4/17)

Whitefish, MT
    Athol, ID
    Seattle, WA
    Portland,OR
    Winchester Bay, OR
    Redding, CA
    Vallejo, CA
    Alameda,CA
    Reno,NV
    winnemucca,NV
    Elko, NV
    Wendover, UT
    Salt Lake City, UT

Anybody have an idea of how you could map that entire route, and maybe post a picture of the map?

BTW- the Nissan 240SX was eliminated on the first day.

6 more legs to go (6 shows/weeks) SPIKE TV, 10pm ET, Tuesdays

thx
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 04-17-2007 at 08:23 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

FYI, here are the rules ( the ones that were posted to the BullRun forum):

1. No GPS or Satellite Navigation systems can be used.
    2. No cell phones.
    3. No laptop computers.
    4. No radio or CD player.
    5. Speeding = severe penalties. Arrest = disqualification.
    6. Each start of day, cars can only leave when instructed to do so.
    7. Cars must start and finish each day under their own power, or the power of their drivers.
    8. Cars outside the maximum time allowed for each leg get picked up by the ‘reaper’ and towed – they’re then out.
    l
    #1: obviously no help allowed because they want you to navigate so you can get lost!

#4 is an odd rule. Why no music? It could be considered a safety measure, but not allowing the radio, means you'll need teamwork to keep going & to keep your sanity. There may be another reasons ( interferes with the cabin-cam?).

#6 could use some clarification. In the show, it looks like a kind of LeMans start, but if they're timing the cars, they should wait for the starter to tell them when to leave, and the mad dash you see on TV could be for show, or to see who gets to start first, which has some effect on the finish order, because you can employ tricks like blocking the road so a car can't get ahead of you.

Some lamers on the BullRun forum were claimining that the show is lame because they mistakenly think it's a "race." Nope... it's a Rally, so speed isn't exactly the highest priority. They stress the highway-legal speeds constantly, and that's a good thing, IMO. You'll even see the occasional message on the bottom reminding you that "driving while tired is bad" or other stuff (peeing while driving?) So I'll side with the show's producers, who are giving you entertainment without glorifying the illegal stuff. Then they even throw in the extended challenge in the mid-day- checkpoint to help even things out- or mess you up more, depending.

There has only been one incident yet (currently on Day 6) that had one team video another speeding (Rule #5), and things almost got physical at the end of the day. Mr. Goldberg should have reminded the teams they need to police themselves, so if one team messes up, that the breaks, even though there are two camera cars, and a helicopter constantly there with the video going.

IMO, Mr. Goldberg's un-aired comments are very funny! For a big guy with attitude, money, and a repputation, he can really be a sport with the practical jokes on himself.

I would like to see a little documentation about how the show is put on. I figure there are two teams of girls, trucks, and RVs. They're constantly leap-frogging to set up the next day's stop so it's ready when the cars get there in the afternoon for the checkpoint/competition, then in the evening. Too bad the show is long over, so maybe they'll do it the next time.

thx
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2476

Default Bull "walk don't Run"

Quote Originally Posted by TomoHawk View Post
    snip
    BTW- the Nissan 240SX was eliminated on the first day.
    snip
    Negative. The Scion TC was eliminated at the end of day 1... The 240sx went out the end of day 2 due to engine failure. They killed their RB26 with low oil pressure. The F150 is a joke and an insult to the comptetion... the wife and I are hoping the Trans Am wins (although her second fav team is the Lotus... she likes the fellas mohawk). We also joked about putting the Z, with about $12k I think I could build mine into a winner minus a pretty paint job.

Last year Ed and I saw a bunch of "real" Bull Run cars on our way back from the NorthEast Z adventure in Syracuse. Mostly expensive exotics (ie: many Lambos and AMG MB's).

I too have been curious about the flourescent bulb busting. They are charged with Mercury Vapor and Argon or Neon. Heck, even some landfills won't take them.

Nate
    -Nate

1972 Datsun 240Z #HLS30-47945 (aka: Kikka)
    2007 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed SE 4x4 6 spd
    2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8s SE (Wife-Mobile)

Member ID
    CZCC-2476

Default Pics

Here's some photos my buddy snapped at a service station on I-90 when we saw the Bull Run cars... the last one is Ed's ride (sweet!)... He could win it. Come on buddy, enter the Z!!! I'll be your navigator!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1007.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	17873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1008.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	17874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1009.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	17875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1010.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	17876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1011.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	17877  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ed 004.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	17878  
    -Nate

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Were those pics from the BullRun "Race?" The one where they actually drive fast, and no Spike TV/Bill Goldberg? The story on the (police car) must be interesting, and I'm sure it had raised a few eyebrows, even in the U.S.

I'd love to run the rally, or any rally, FTM, but I don't think my car is up to it, mechanically. IMO, the car is limited to 3500 RPM or 70 MPH with the engine & trans combination it has, but the gas mileage is decent (about 300 miles/tank.)

The choice of navigator shouldn't be too hard for me. I'm easy to get along with, and my style of driving is easy to learn ( I just like some lead time before lane changes/exits/turns/etc.) That's why I like my Mapopolis software.

Finding a navigator close to home is tough tho; everybody's busy. I could probably pick one up someplace, like on the way, like you suggest.

thx
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 04-21-2007 at 03:51 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2476

Yup, that was the real deal. We saw a bunch of cars but those were just a few of the cars that stopped for fuel when we did. It was pretty darn cool though!
    -Nate

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Don't forget that Bot BullRun rallies are by invitation. It makes you wonder if you need mega-bux or some serious connections to get in on the open-road rally. For the Televised rally, tho, I've seen an ad for a contest sponsored by CarDomain.com, that is supposed to get you into the rally somehow. Probably next years's rally, if there is one.

thx
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-11908

So there is a Bullrun Marathon on Spike right now, and overall, it's pretty good. While some of it seems staged (if they are in such a hurry, how did the cameras get set up for all the gas station shots?)
    Regardless, it's an interesting concept and I think the variety of cars is great.
    David

Member ID
    CZCC-13926

sigh . im one of those folks that dont have cable.. ah i guess ima have to search on youtube.com
    73' 240z in the works..

currently: On 4 jackstands. interior is out. nearly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

David-

They have a number of chase cars to follow the competitors, one or two helicopters, a Noble (M12 3R) for a 'pace car' and a 2004 SSC for a challenge car. I'll bet there are a few semi's to move the canopies & tents (the HQ) and all the lightbulbs used for the challenges. they must be leapfrogging from one day to the other to have enough time to set up the camps and the challenges. Mr. Goldberg himself has an RV to take him places. I'll bet that he's not always the first guy to get to the next checkpoint, but there are enough support people to take care of things.

thx
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 05-16-2007 at 06:28 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

You can watch thhe episodes via Internet:
    http://www.spiketv.com/shows/bullrun/fullepisodes/
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Smile

Yeah, the Trans AM Won! That was my team

They had an article on them in Pontaic Magizine so I joined the band wagon when I read it.
    The dad bought the car as a Present for his doughter ( I think on here 18th Birthday or graduation (shotty memory over here ))

It was an execllent race.
    Lots of cops

~Z~
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

ウイングゼロ 競争 GangLoadOParts.com

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Dude, not a race! It was a rally & competition.

if Morgen would go to weightwatchers, she could be really hot looking.
    I wonder what they'll do with their winnings.

It would be nice to see them do a follow up with the last few teams.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

BTW- this year's Spike TV BullRun Rally is on (May 11 - 18) The course is from Montreal to Key West. there was one lucky entrant picked from CarDomain, with a totally paid ride.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-13926

You can watch thhe episodes via Internet:
    http://www.spiketv.com/shows/bullrun/fullepisodes/
    thanks haha.
    73' 240z in the works..

currently: On 4 jackstands. interior is out. nearly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

In case you haven't been watching, the last show will be on thursday, 30. April. at 10:00 pm eastern, with a rerun of last week's show at 9pm

thxZ
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-18323

Tony with the Soltice is a friend and is in our autoX club. He did a 41 second best run today and our 240 did a 43!

Torch Wielding Villager gogriz91's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-2233

I've wondered myself what might need to happen to get an S30 bodied Z on BullRun. Get an autocross driver to drive and one hell of a mechanic to navigate.
    '73 HLS30 129806 ; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, 3.90 R200 LSD

Heavily medicated for your protection

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I think the contestant are picked from the CarDomain.com community. At least there was a contest to pick one from there for the current event, but I didn't see which it was. So I'd conclude that one entered not by sending forms to someplace, but by how blingy or popular you car was on some Internet website.

Maybe asking the guy with the Soltice car would tell you how you could enter the event

I think an S30 would be the best car for the event, if you got it to run 100% reliably and didn't mind a few scratches or dings from hitting things during the obstacle course challenges. Maybe a spare gas can in the back.

thxZ
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 04-27-2009 at 04:45 AM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Classic Datsun wins!!!

Yeah, right... We know a classic Datsun is a winner, but in this BulllRun rally event, The Shelby SuperSnake team of Spiro & Mike have been declared the winner.

If you missed it, it will be re-run a few times this weekend

Round 10 Fri 5/1 9:00-10:00am SPEED

Round 10 Mon 5/4 12:00-1:00am SPEED
    Round 10 Thu 5/7 9:00-10:00pm SPEED
    Round 10 Fri 5/8 1:00-2:00am SPEED
    Round 10 Sun 5/10 11:00-12:00am SPEED

thxZ
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 04-30-2009 at 08:17 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

Sorry guys, but if you're talking about the show hosted by Bill Goldberg, I see this as just another lame ass reality show. Way too much personal drama for me. Maybe I'm just too old or something. I don't get the attraction. In the meantime, I'll be over on the Speed channel watching F1, GT, GP, MotoGP or Superbike racing. THESE are worthwhile motorsports events IMHO, but to each his own.
    Last edited by =Enigma=; 05-01-2009 at 12:27 AM.
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

My name is Adam and I'm a Zeeoholic!

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Since it wasn't filmed on some perfect beach or movie scene in CA, it looks like more of reality than a "reality show." Maybe somebody can ask Tony ( from the Solstice team) about the drama...
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 05-01-2009 at 04:39 AM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

TomoHawk, why don't you ask? Since 16 of the 28 previous posts in this thread are yours, obviously you are the one with the most interest.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-18323

Tony said the the drama between the teams was real while some of what we saw was not, like the time the one team went shopping for fireworks, that was because they had a four hour break because of the film crew. He did say that they had a blast but could have no contact with home or use of a computer for three weeks.

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Okay, I guess I'll be able to sleep at night now........
    Last edited by sblake01; 05-01-2009 at 08:54 AM.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Nope, I'm not the person with the most interest, unless I was in the show.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 05-01-2009 at 02:36 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Snappy retort.....but you're the person with the most posts......YAWN!!!
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Some people don't watch TV. They do Internet forums for entertainment.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Some people don't watch TV. They do Internet forums for entertainment.
    I won't even dignify that one with anything other than to say 'some people don't watch crap on TV, critique it, and then make snide remarks what they find that other's don't share their opinion. It must be a strange place....the world of 'Thomas Magnum', 'Tom O. Hawk' or whoever you are. Entertaining is the last thing I'd consider you to be. Annoying would be tops on the list, however. Stick a fork in me, I"m done and you'll be ignored by me from now on!!! I wonder how many ignore lists you're on already.
    Last edited by sblake01; 05-01-2009 at 03:34 PM.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I know for a fact that many people now don't watch TV, and instead rely on a computer to watch movies or even just surf the Internet instead of movies. even.

The Bullrun show is the closest thing to a real rally that you can get on TV lately. It's much better than most, if not all, the other 'reality' shows you can see on TV, which are created just to get people with cheap lives or no taste in quality entertainment to watch. I'll bet the same people have no morals or don't go to church services either. I liked watching it for the entertainment. It's like watching the MASH TV show; you watch it for an hour of peace & relaxation.

It's too bad there isn't a real rally like it, and if there was, you probably couldn't get enough video to make an hours worth, or you'd just the cars flying by.

If I post reminders for the show, it's for those car-fans who don't watch TV, that they are missing something fairly entertaining, in stead of a truly shallow reality show. When it's cold and snowing outside, there's not much to do in the evening, and this show was an acceptable hour of entertainment. That is unless you like ricer shows or the Pimp-My-Ride shows, or Nas-T-car "racing."

Opinions are opinions and everybody's welcome to their own, as long as it's not directed at anyone personally. there is no problem with that. When people read something and don't care to ask for further explanation if the point isn't well understood, then that can lead to problems.

thxZ
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 05-01-2009 at 03:52 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Well, Season 3 of the Bullrun show has been on for 5 weeks now, and basically it's the same as before. The teams start the day's driving, go through a couple checkpoints and to the finish. This year has an additional feature of an 'immunity' card (which is actually a golden wrench) so you will not be in the leg's elimination challenge. The two cars with the largest elapsed times are put into the elimination challenge, along with another that the day's winner picks. If you have immunity, your safe until the next leg, and three teams compete with the loser going home.

There are also live chats, both text and video, that you can get into, during the airing of each show. The show has a forum for discussions, as well as a medium for auditioning your team so the shows casting people will pick you for the next show.

You could say the forum is no better than what people here would say about zcar.com. It's entirely rumor- or hormone- driven, and if you can't tout your car as having 800+ horsepower, or brand-X engine management system, or a top speed of 100+ MPH, the kiddies there will just talk their kiddie stuff. "Responsible driving" or a "classic sportscar" has no meaning to them, unless you drive it via a laptop computer... One person even got angry because he insists my 280Z has a carburettor, because I won't share the programming of the "chip" in my ECU, or even disclose the brand of it.

The kiddies make it difficult for you to share a compliment with the cast members, who are genuinely decent people, who know the value of vigorous, honest competition...

thxZ
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-8658

I watched the show thought it was everything pinks was and could never bring myself to watch it again. Why not cover a targa instead of creating scripted drama.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Most of it is actually real stuff that the cast did. the exact amount is something the cast members can't say, and they like having a little mystery about it. Sometimes they're directed to do certain things in general, but that's it. It's not as scripted as an actor's part in a movie. It's heavily edited, but they start with miles of 'film.'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banner season3 Teams.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	35215  
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 03-23-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Thread Information