Thread: Scarab Research

Member ID
    CZCC-4
    Blog Entries

Default Scarab Research

Hi all,

I am looking for anything to do with the SCARAB modifications to the Z. They had quite a following in the 70's and I want to collect as much information as possible. A few years ago I saw a very nice Scarab conversion at the Motorsport Nationals. I'll find a link to the images and post them in this thread.

But, if you have collected any data on this please post it. I would like to see original ads for the Scarab cars as well as any parts or specifications. Oh, and pictures!!!
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Vicky (Mrs. ZRush) is also highly interested in these cars. Maybe she has some info to share.

Member ID
    CZCC-7005

thanks to alan and rosanne for a great collection of z info.

scarab stuff here

Scarab

Tom.

Member ID
    CZCC-3356

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo560

scarab stuff here

Scarab

Tom.

You beat me to posting this like. Thank you Tommo.
    '70 240Z - HLS30-08215 - Production Date 8/70
    '70 240Z - HLS30-06293 - Rusty and has Identity Crisis (must have been wrecked and the back 1/2 sectioned in from a later car maybe even a 280Z)...PARTS CAR!
    '71 240Z - HLS30-018482 - Production Date 1/71,Corvette Yellow, driven under a 4Runner, bought for parts, hit lotto with parts on car, may fix and put back on road

My Photo Gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-4
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo560
    Awesome stuff!! Any idea how I can get ahold of them? I'd love to start a section on our club to host this for them... I'd hate to see it get lost over the years like most private web pages ...

-- Mike
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Awesome stuff!! Any idea how I can get ahold of them? I'd love to start a section on our club to host this for them... I'd hate to see it get lost over the years like most private web pages ...

-- Mike
    PM member name "texasz" and you will have gotten ahold of them.

Member ID
    CZCC-4
    Blog Entries

Okay, here's what I've found so far on that website. A list of features commonly provided with a Scarab conversion:

Standard Features:
    Drivetrain:
    Balanced, blueprinted Chevy 350 (300hp) smallblock with electronic ignition
    specially designed cross-flow radiator
    high-performance water pump
    flex fan to cool the 22-quart-capacity system
    Borg Warner Super T-10 4 speed with special Hurst competition shifter linkage
    complete exhaust system with a pair of glasspack mufflers

Suspension:
    Koni adjustable shocks
    front and rear sway bars
    Teflon compression strut bushings
    high-performance rack and pinion mounts
    and springs by Scarab
    torque control arm, it is essentially a quarter-inch-thick piece of steel bent into a U shape, with about 3/8 of rubber laid in the bottom of the U. Scarab installed it from beneath the front differential mount, bolting front and back into holes tapping into the metal framework of the differential insulator. The torque control arm minimized the forces on the mount and on the front end of the differential itself without totally eliminating the cushioning effects of the insulator like a solid mount would.

Brakes:
    Disc/Drum (power) with HP pads/shoes or optional FIA 4 piston calipers
    Later cars could be had with four-wheel discs, and those with drum brakes could have optional finned cast-iron drums

Interior:
    Door panels are soundproofed and covered in glove soft, hand-sewn Scottish leather
    Momo leather steering wheel
    Seats were re-padded and covered in Scottish leather and velour to match the door panels and console lid
    Deep pile carpeting

Exterior:
    Trans-Am front air dam, rear Trans-Am spoiler
    Twin exterior rally mirrors
    louvered hood and access panels
    Scarab logo with associated emblems
    high-speed driving lights
    All exterior Datsun badging was removed from the Scarab factory cars: the low production volume of these vehicles was highlighted by Scarab factory-specific badging that included raised Scarab lettering to replace the Datsun front fender nameplates, and Scarab Performance black-and-gold rectangular decals in the lower left corner of the windshield and the lower right corner of the rear hatch glass
    heavy gold medallions containing the Egyptian Scarab Beetle emblem

Optional Features:
    Drivetrain:
    350 SB (325 or 370hp naturally aspirated)
    Turbo (425hp)
    automatic transmission
    Limited slip differentials in R-180 or R-200

Brakes:
    four-wheel discs
    finned cast-iron drums

Interior:
    Recaro contoured, reclining bucket seats with headrests
    12 coats of hand-rubbed lacquer

Exterior:
    whale tail
    reverse scoop hood with side fender louvers
    rectangular headlights
    flared fender packages
    rear window shade

Wheels:
    Cromodora Turbina wheels
    Campagnolo or Appliance Wheels
    BBS wheels
    Pirelli CN36 tires
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Hey Zrush! You in on this conversation?
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

Yes, I'm watching and reading. Mike, the best person to contact on all things Scarab is Bruce Bladon. He has a link on Carl Becks site. Bruce can provide original and genuine documentation. Remember that alot of the Scarabs people see are after market cars NOT produced by Brian Morrow.

The other engine option was the 327 which is what I would like.

I'm as passionate about the true Scarab as some members here are about Fairladys and early VINs.

Before I die, I will own one!

Vicky
    Zweet

Member ID
    CZCC-3356

Quote Originally Posted by Mike

-- Mike
    Yes Mike I do happen to know how to get ahold of the owner of that site...

Bambi is right, it's my site! I do not have any intention of shutting it down...ever. It is my site, on my server, in my home, so there are no bandwidth limitations nor issues of the hosting company going under or anything like that (I have many pages on my server including my family site, photo gallery, etc so you can see why it's not going anywhere). However, if you see anything there that you want please feel free to take it or if you prefer just ask and you can have copies. ALSO, if anyone on this site has anything that they'd like to add please contact me as I'd love to increase the amount of knowledge and history on that Z page!!!
    '70 240Z - HLS30-06293 - Rusty and has Identity Crisis (must have been wrecked and the back 1/2 sectioned in from a later car maybe even a 280Z)...PARTS CAR!
    '71 240Z - HLS30-018482 - Production Date 1/71,Corvette Yellow, driven under a 4Runner, bought for parts, hit lotto with parts on car, may fix and put back on road

My Photo Gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

Here's a picture of a genuine Scarab
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Zweet

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

Sorry, I was trying to just attach the picture on my post. What did I do wrong?

Vicky
    Zweet

Member ID
    CZCC-4
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zrush
    Sorry, I was trying to just attach the picture on my post. What did I do wrong?
    The attachment shows up just fine. It looks like you attached a MS Word .DOC file with the image inside of that. If you attached a graphic file (.JPG, .GIF, etc) it would have shown up as a little thumbnail.

Anyway, thanks for the image! I like it!!
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-3356

Check out the 3rd, 4th, and 5th pix on this page. This Scarab was at the Austin Z car show a couple years ago, I've seen it in about 4 shows since this one.

http://www.pape.ws/gallery/2003_capi...as_show?page=3

My Photo Gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-4
    Blog Entries

Any idea where I can get one of those Scarab vents?
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-7005

texasz that is one nice looking scarab, i love the kit he's got on it.

Tom.

Member ID
    CZCC-5188

that list of options for the scarab was just that ... options ...

not every scarab built at the shop came with those items.

an old friend of mine's younger brother worked at the shop, wrenching on the scarabs. the shop was in campbell, about 3 miles from my house at the time.

another old friend, worked there for a while and had what looked like a bone stock z, and it had a pumped 350 and 4 speed. i'm wanting to say that Pat's scarab z was a 280.

mine is a scarab kit z ... thus, originally, there were no modifications to the body. looked like any other '72 240z, running 280z hub caps ...

as far as i know, you could get your scarab anyway you wanted, depending on how deep your wallet was.

a basic V8 swap, with auto or 4 speed, 4 core radiator no other mods.

deep wallet, your dreams just might become reality.

i was working on the street where my buddys parents lived back in the early 70's, looks like they've moved. last i heard, my friend was living in livermore ... oddly enough, where JTR is ...

my buddy's bro's name is Jonathan Sievert. his claim to fame, he was test driving a scarab, drove into the shop garage a little on the hot side, supposedly a bad master cylinder, and he racked up at least 3 customer's cars. minor body damage, fenders, bumpers, hoods, think he said he was going about 10 mph at impact. shoved one car into another.
    it's getting better, so much better all the time ! it can't get much worse

Member ID
    CZCC-8371

Greetings all I just purchased a 280Z and want to do a V-8 conversion. I live in the Dallas Texas area. Anybody out there know of any companies that do that now like scarab used to?

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc5
    Greetings all I just purchased a 280Z and want to do a V-8 conversion. I live in the Dallas Texas area. Anybody out there know of any companies that do that now like scarab used to?
    No, I don't know of a place. But, the best place to ask a question like that is at www.Hybridz.org . The guys over there are heavily into engine swaps and major modifications like that.

Member ID
    CZCC-5188

i think the msa kit is closest to the scarab kit.

why would you want to use the scarab style kit ?

it was good in day ... and still works

however, there are now better ways of doing things

if i were to build one from scratch, i'd start with the JTR kit ...

john in texas also makes a decent kit ... though the guys in the know, prefer the jtr kit.

hooker header's kit is almost an exact duplicate of the scarab kit.

http://www.johnscars.com/zcar.htm

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

you can get a V8 into a 240z, the avg price is around 3500. that's using a good junk yard engine and tranny, and modest modifications. i have heard of it being done for under 2 grand, but that was with very good luck gathering parts.

the scarab kit puts the chevy engine distributor about 2 inches out from the fire wall ... the other kits put the engine closer to the firewall.

the reason the engine is set back closer to the firewall, per Mike at JTR, is it allows the shifter for the camaro 5 speed transmission to come out close to where the stock shifter on the 240z came out of the console.

some people claim it changes the front to rear weight bias, and it may. the engine also sets lower, changing the center of gravity, and it may. i know it places the headers and oil pan closer to the road, but no closer than in a stock camaro or corvette. one thing, it does is allow one to use a wider choice of aircleaners and intake manifolds. the hood can close without danger of smacking the rod holding the air cleaner to the carb.

as cousin Carl suggested ... stop by hybridz.org ... they have a wealth of info on this subject. flamers are shoot down as soon as they start something. it's a solid site on topic. jerks are ejected asap.
    it's getting better, so much better all the time ! it can't get much worse

Member ID
    CZCC-844

These are wonderful cars and photos, but you'd think they at least vacuum the floor before taking photos. :| One had a box sitting in the cargo area. It's like sending a model down the ramp with curler in her hair.
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

What ever happened to Brian Morrow?
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

Quote Originally Posted by bpilati
    What ever happened to Brian Morrow?
    I've heard many rumors about him and I really don't know which one to believe. I've heard that after the state of California shut him down, he just disappeared. Heard he was suffering from some sort of degenerative (sp?) disease. The one that's most likely is the gag order that I read about in some performance magazine. I think the gag order was for 20 years and imposed in 1985 so that means if he is still around, this would be the time for him to speak out about how he was railroaded by the air-pollution/emissions board in California.

Many Scarab owners are hoping he pops up somewhere to tell his story. I know I would be interested.

Vicky
    Last edited by Zrush; 08-18-2005 at 02:55 PM.
    Zweet

Member ID
    CZCC-6600

Default Where Have You Gone Brian Morrow?

If he still lives in California, he may be one of the Brian Morrows listed under the first 8, the next 3 under "Public Records" (2 of them might be, but they are probably too young, the 21 year old could be his son) or the others listed under "E-mail" at the link below: (There is also an option to do a nationwide search).

http://www.switchboard.com/bin/cgiQA...=27&image1.y=7
    Steve

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Question

I didn't know he was shut down. What happened? I don't know why there are so many Z business in California. Why would anyone want to put up with California laws?
    Last edited by bpilati; 08-19-2005 at 12:18 PM. Reason: word omission
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

California didn't like the fact that Brian was ripping the smog control Z engines out and putting 65-70's vette engines back in the cars. He had to sell Scarab #1 (his personal car) to defend himself in the first go-around in court. He won that battle by claiming the cars where for "off road use only". California continued to keep an eye on Scarab Performance and I'm sure buyers had to sign a waiver stating that the cars are not street legal.

Brians solution and hope to keep his business alive was to build a 425 hp turbo version of the Scarab or "Super Scarab" as it was known to many back then. I've read the stats on that car and it was a true Street Beast. But a price tag of $35,000 was likely a bit much for people back in the early 80's.

This pricing and the constant eye in the sky from the pollution police was most likely the demise of his company. Until the gag order is lifted and the true story is told, we'll never really know what happened to one of the most elusive hybrid automobiles ever made.

Vicky
    Last edited by Zrush; 08-19-2005 at 06:45 AM.
    Zweet

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Again, I ask my question.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

... Why would anyone want to put up with California laws?
    Is this your question?

Vicky
    Zweet

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Yeah. Sort of rhetorical.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Thanks for this thread, everyone. Really enjoy it.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-9399

Just wanted to keep this thead alive, I'll be taking delivery of a 1971 Scarab from the second owner this weekend. Car is in excellent condition with all documentation. I will share photos & specs this weekend.

Color is white with aftermarket Panasports, Autometer guages, Recaro seats.

David

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

Hi David

Welcome to the club. I'll be quite interested in your Scarab. My husband and I purchased #189 about 3 months ago. We're in touch with a few other genuine Scarab owners and will be happy to link you up with them. Looking forward to seeing your pictures and documentation.

What is the number of your Scarab? The build plate will be mounted on the drivers side, above the door latch, just under or in place of the factory Datsun plate. It will be stamped "Scarab Automobiles", the manufacture date and vehicle #.

Vicky
    Zweet

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Exclamation

http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-Datsun-240Z...QQcmdZViewItem

Better clamp on to this by 17 SEP.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-3356

That price is quite steep! If anyone here gets it and is willing to share a scan of it in pdf format please let me know as I would be glad to host it on my site along with all the other Scarab info I have.

My Photo Gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-7858

Are you guys just interested in the Scarab conversion or how about the JTR conversion. I am putting a v8 in my '72 and everyone I talk to says don't get a scarab conversion, they sit to high and to far forward! just a thought let me know it you need any JTR info..
    [SIZE="4"][B][I]1972 240z (project v8 LS1 twin turbo, t56 6 Speed)

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

Actually the genuine Scarabs are quite balanced at 52/48 which is near neutral. The engine swap results in a weight gain of just 30lbs. Pretty insignificant. Since chevy engines are shorter than the inline 6, the CG moves further back than with a six. As a result, instead of acting heavier, the Scarab has, if anything, even better handling and lighter feel than a Z.
    Remember a real Scarab is not just a V-8 swap. There's a completely engineered car here.

I can go on all day about this but it truly belongs on the hybridz site. I've got tons of literature and track tests to back it up and I have the car in the garage to prove it.

Also, these cars were built in the 70's and were way ahead of their time.

Vicky
    Zweet

Member ID
    CZCC-7027

Although it may belong on the hybridz website, I would say that a scarab also has its place on this website. As a scarab it is historically important in the progression of Z cars, and they are coming of age as well! Im not sure how everybody else views it, but I feel like it follows the creeds of our club Pride, Performance, and preservation. We know you have pride, the performance is undoubtedly there, and you are preserving a vehicle that is important in Z history. Just trying to help make the scarab owners more comfortable

O yeah, and that gain of thirty pounds could be gained by just having a fatter driver!
    '73 240Z - HLS30-171979 *Under Construction*
    88' BMW 325is - E30

"You can get what you want or you can just get old" - Billy Joel

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by texasz
    That price is quite steep! If anyone here gets it and is willing to share a scan of it in pdf format please let me know as I would be glad to host it on my site along with all the other Scarab info I have.
    I've dealt with Walter over the years. He's pretty fair with his prices. He also know the rarity of some items in the auto literature business. This package would surely be classified as rare. Considering what is included, it's still probably a fair price. I don't have any real interest in it but to someone into Scarabs, it seem like a must have.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Lightbulb

Since we have a Scarab forum I think we can safely say that Scarabs belong here. There has been long arguments about JTR and other conversions. Study, study, study BEFORE you do anything. Scarab was not a conversion in the same way as JTR, but a company that converted Z's and sold parts for DIY. The central purpose of the JTR conversion was to get a certain transmission in the proper location in the Z. All else followed.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-9399

Not the best pics (need to take more) but here is Scarab #154 1971 HLS30 12297.

Member ID
    CZCC-3356

Quote Originally Posted by dsommer
    Not the best pics (need to take more) but here is Scarab #154 1971 HLS30 12297.
    Would you mind emailing me those pix and I'll add them to my Scarab file which are published to the web for all to benefit from?

My Photo Gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-4
    Blog Entries

Agreed, that's a nice car. Can you post the pictures to our gallery? The linked pictures work fine, but, they might vanish in 1-2 years when that website changes. If we have them in our gallery, they will always be here.

dsommer, is that your car?
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4
    Blog Entries

Here's a link to our gallery: http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-10720

Default 1971 240z

New to the site. I have owned my 1971 240Z since 1989. 3 years ago
    I had the car professionally painted a porsh red. I haven't driven it for 2 years because the floor boards are starting to rust and don't have the money
    to stick in it at this time. I want to sell it to someone who will appreciate it.
    Not sure if I should part the car out or sell it as is. I need someone to advise me on what to do! Appreciate any response.

Member ID
    CZCC-4
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lh240Z71
    New to the site. I have owned my 1971 240Z since 1989. 3 years ago
    I had the car professionally painted a porsh red. I haven't driven it for 2 years because the floor boards are starting to rust and don't have the money
    to stick in it at this time. I want to sell it to someone who will appreciate it.
    Not sure if I should part the car out or sell it as is. I need someone to advise me on what to do! Appreciate any response.
    Is your car a Scarab conversion?

-- MIke
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-9399

Yes the white Scarab above is mine #154. As far as the pics if somebody would like to copy them to the gallery please feel free. The link to the pics shouldn't go away but yeah you never know.

So far I've replaced the rear suspension with Tokico Illuminas (adjustables) and Tokico springs. The Scarab springs were sprungs, thus the rear tire was rubbing pretty bad.

Since my last post I've aquired the original 14" BBS wheels, gold centers. I'm thinking about refinishing them with out gold though. I can't decide between; black, white or silver. Just not gold ugh, looks u-g-l-y.

The last owner is trying to track down the original owner, seems the original Scarab paperwork has been misplaced (shoot).

The car did not come with the Scarab valve covers or breather, the window stickers are gone, looks as if some of the glass has been replaced when the car was painted.

Still to do is replace the front suspension, ceramic coat the headers and button up an oil leak here and there.

The car has a Bow Tie block (thanks Craig S!!!) angle plug heads. I'm eager to pull the oilpan off and check for a few "tweaks" that may or may not be present according to Craig. (silently praying for that 302 forged crank

I'll try to take some more pictures soon, I got a new camera when the twins (boys!) were born (12-08-05), so you can figure where all my time is currently being spent. Not in the garage working on cars but rather feeding, burping and changing diapers.

The car the twins and the wife will all be attending Branson Zfest next month, I'm really excited to show this piece of Z car history to the folks that will be in attendance.

goto
    bransonzfest.com for more info.

David

Member ID
    CZCC-13346

Default scarab

Hello all. I have heard that Brian Morrow died in a Scarab in the early 80's...might explain why he disappeared. Also, not all factory cars had an id palte in drivers door jam. I owned one with ALL documanetation and it was built without this plate. Also, there is a hacked up Scarab for sale on San Jose Craigs list that was a turbo car originally. They want $3500 for it but it is a mess...plus it was one of the few 2+2 cars built.

Can you find any firm evidence that Brian passed away, obituary etc?

Member ID
    CZCC-844

I remember having a Road & Track magazine with a long article about the Scarab in it. I faintly remember a spec of 0 to 104 and back to 0 in 14 seconds.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Thumbs up Scarab article, Road & Track, Jan 78

Road & Track 01 1978 TEST: Mercedes-Benz 300CD, Plymouth Horizon, Dodge Omni, 78 Toyota Celica GT Liftback, Mazda GLC, Scarab Datsun Z-car V8
    FEAT: Alan Jones, Panther Six prototype, London to Sydney Rally, BMW 328s, 62-71 Datsun Sports roadsters, Donald Healey 3

This issue of Road & Track can be purchased here for $6.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Hmm, my R&T library goes back to '77 or so. I should have that one. I'll have to dig it out.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-844

I threw mine collection away after 10 years (77-87)
    Bryan Pilati

Thread Information