Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlight Upgrade Harness's For Sale (again!)

240Z Elec. Upgrade guy Zs-ondabrain's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Default Headlight Upgrade Harness's For Sale (again!)

After much deliberation and pleading from members who either want more or never had a chance the last time, I am making the popular "Headlight Relay Upgrade Harness's again.

There is only one catch. It's not as cheap as it used to be. Due to suppliers costs, fuel prices, my wifes sanity, and the fact that I no longer wish to work for my current employer (long story), the new price for the headlight harness is $125.00 inside the U.S. Outside the U.S. needs to contact me first be fore making a payment

I appologize for those of you who think that this is too much but I'm sure that if you ask any one who bought one before, They'll tell you that this is a more than fair price for the work that I put into these. It in no way harms the 240Z and as a matter of fact,
    1) It stops the fuses from overheating
    2) Increases the voltage to the headlight to almost full battery voltage.
    3) Saves your headlight and turnsignal switch from future damage due to over heating.
    4) completely integrates into your 240Z without any cutting or drilling of any kind.
    5) Your headlights will be brighter and allow you to upgrade to H4 headlights.

I only take money orders for the $125.00 and they can be sent to me at ....

David W. Irwin
    6421 105th St. N.E.
    Marysville, WA. 98270

You can e-mail me at wolfin32z@yahoo.com or P.M. me at any time. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Dave.
    Rate my Z at Car Domain.com
    My 70' 240Z, Daily Driver

My Parking Light and Headlight Upgrade Harness's at MotorSport Auto
    HLH - PLH - SCP - ZXP's at MSA *They accept PayPal!!*
    Headlight Upgrade Harness info here at ClassicZCar Club
    HLH info at CZCC Do a search for info on the other upgrades I offer.

Go Fast, Don't Crash 280~Master's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-9867

Default 240??

If I had a 240 I would buy one in a heartbeat. At least faster then my wife could say no.
    If you ever get to making ones for the 280 I would be more than happy to get one or two of them.

John
    John Thomas Bertrand
    Model: HLS30 STD CPE 2DR
    Color: 305 LIGHT BLUE
    Serial: HLS30-298085
    Engine: L28-081399
    Port of Entry: 34 JACKSONVILLE
    Method of Transport: TRUCK
    Dealer to whom delivered:
    Brown Datsun INC
    213 E Liberty ST
    Lyons, GA 30436

Member ID
    CZCC-7601

Dave,
    Does it work for an early 74 260 Z ?
    "Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least"

74 260 Z (Frame up Resto/Mod)

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

That all depends on the plugs you have for the headlights in front of the radiator.
    Are they white square 3-pin 240Z style?

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

Man, I wish I could afford this right now. Any chance you'll still be making them in a couple months?
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

My name is Adam and I'm a Zeeoholic!

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Chances are pretty good.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

If it's possible, I'm going to make a big order today,and I'll start prep on what ever I already have to fill these orders that are going to come in.

Member ID
    CZCC-7275

Quote Originally Posted by Zs-ondabrain
    ...the new price for the headlight harness is $125.00 inside the U.S.

I apologize for those of you who think that this is too much...
    Dave.
    Well I for one don't think your new price is too much. Let me be the first to say that my payment is on it's way to you. I was disappointed when you said you would no longer make this harness. I commend you for providing detailed plans for all to see as your gift to the Z community. Even with the plans, however, I found that locating and paying for the parts was much more than I had anticipated.

The parts alone, if you only want to make one or two harnesses runs you $40 or more. That is not even including tax and shipping. The copper in the wires is heavy, and shipping adds up quickly. If you buy small quantities of wire locally, the price per foot is much more than Dave can buy in quantity. I spent countless hours trying to find the 3-prong sockets you need to make this harness plug and play, and to avoid cutting into the stock harness. I even spent over $20 with autosparks in the UK for some sockets that looked like they would work but it turned out that the pins and plugs inside the sockets did not match up to the OEM wiring harness. This was an expensive mistake on my part. You can avoid all of my sorrows by just buying Dave's harness already assembled.

So the $125 is more than what Dave offered this harness for in the past. But get real people. When you take into consideration his cost of materials, and the cost to ship the harness to your door, he was essentially doing the assembly work for free. While that was very generous of him, he now wants a fair price for his design, testing and assembly of this harness. So why not help out a fellow Z enthusiast and send your money in today. You will thank yourself when you can see so much better driving your Z home on that dark and stormy night.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

WOW! that was impressive. Thank you for that and i'd have to say that you hit it right on the button when you spoke of suppliers, shipping, research, design, manufacturing and everything else.

They are hard to make (3 hours) and it took me two weeks of searching to find all the right parts, suppliers and shipping methods. But thats where I figured that If I wanted one so bad, then everyone else must need the same thing, being as how most of us here have a 240Z or something similar.

I really wish I could fing the black 260Z plugs and the white 280Z plugs. Those are my "needles in a haystack" I can't stand the thought of butchering some ones harness or even an OEM harness out of a wrecked Z. I'd prefer new for a new product. It's like putting Pinto Wheels on your brand new Mustang. it's just ugly.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-10327

Dave,

Since I am the owner of a 280z and would like to be able to run the bright new headlights I just bought when I put everything back together, would you recommend using old OEM wiring from another 280Z to put a headlight harness toghether or to use a pre-fabed kit like the one from VB.

http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/ws/0085.html

It's sorta plug and play, but not quite like yours from what I can tell.

I have an extra complete engine wiring harness I could take the plugs for the headlights off of to use, but it's in nice shape and I kinda want to keep it incase I run into problems later ...

I'm way to busy to help locate the wire plugs for the 260 or 280z cars at the moment (closing on a house, moving and planning wedding stuff all this month )
    -Gregg Germer -

1975 280z - HLS30-210542
    My 280z's Webpage - http://www.gregggermer.com/280z.htm - a chronicle of it's transformation

Member ID
    CZCC-7275

Quote Originally Posted by 280z1975
    Dave,

would you recommend using old OEM wiring from another 280Z to put a headlight harness toghether or to use a pre-fabed kit like the one from VB.
    From what I've read on this board about the VB harness, is that it is not plug and play. The wires are too short, you have to cut it to get the connectors inside the headlight bucket, and the wire is so thin the thing heats up once you finally get it in. That is why there is so much interest in Dave's harness.

350Z
    Member ID
    CZCC-6975

I installed Dave's headlight harness a few months ago with H4 headlights. It is top quality, plug and play and only takes a half hour to install. lights are now very bright.

Miles

Torch Wielding Villager gogriz91's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-2233

Not to shoot Dave's business in the foot but if you can't have the harness you might consider the 105 amp alternator. I don't know if 260's and 280's have the same problem power wise that 240's seem to but an alternator that pumps out more juice might make up for what you're dealing with now.

I may replug my lights back in to the old system after I get the 105 amp alternator put on the car to see what if any difference there is.
    '73 HLS30 129806 ; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, 3.90 R200 LSD

Heavily medicated for your protection

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by gogriz91
    Not to shoot Dave's business in the foot but if you can't have the harness you might consider the 105 amp alternator. I don't know if 260's and 280's have the same problem power wise that 240's seem to but an alternator that pumps out more juice might make up for what you're dealing with now.
    Bigger alternators can be good, but lack of amps isn't the big problem with the headlights. Running all the amps that the headlights draw through a 35 year old headlight switch and fusebox is. A different alternator doesn't address that at all, but the relay harness does.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Once again, Arne took the words right out of my mouth.

Even with a 200 amp alternator, you'll still be using 35 year old wiring and the power will still be going thru the old fusebox, switch and umteen feet of old wire.

But actually, please do the comparison so we can hear about the results. I'd personally like to hear them, Good or bad.

Dave.

P.S. Will, I finally got your M.O. today (Saturday) I'll try to get that out to you on monday.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-7275

Even with a 200 amp alternator, you'll still be using 35 year old wiring and the power will still be going thru the old fusebox, switch and umteen feet of old wire.

But actually, please do the comparison so we can hear about the results. I'd personally like to hear them, Good or bad.

Dave.
    I just got the 105 amp alternator from Z Specialties, and will probably install it before the headlight harness gets here. I can't say I will make a technical study of it, but I can give you my impressions of before/ after alternator alone, and alternator + harness.

Member ID
    CZCC-8431

while I wired my own, I must say, your price is more than reasonable for what you are providing.
    Mike
    www.thepowdercoater.com
    '73 Track Prepped 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by SJGREEN71
    I just got the 105 amp alternator from Z Specialties, and will probably install it before the headlight harness gets here. I can't say I will make a technical study of it, but I can give you my impressions of before/ after alternator alone, and alternator + harness.
    Just keep us posted. when did you send the M.O. again? I like to keep track of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003Z
    while I wired my own, I must say, your price is more than reasonable for what you are providing..
    thank you very much.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-2233

I had read previous posts that said the 105 amp alternator provides some improvement to the headlights and before I knew about Dave's harness that was my solution to my weak headlight problem. When I found out about the harness, I jumped on it because it was a quicker solution. I'm still getting the alternator but, in part, because it has an internal voltage regulator which will free up space on my wheel well to properly mount the headlight harness. I hated the idea of having to drive flat out on the old system to get mediocre performance out of the headlights. Thankfully Dave's harness solved that problem.
    Last edited by gogriz91; 02-12-2006 at 05:23 AM.
    '73 HLS30 129806 ; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, 3.90 R200 LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

If you've read the posts about the 105 amp Alternator, then you SURELY couldn't have missed the even MORE posts about melting fuseboxes, wiring and combination switches.

The problem as Arne stated is that the original wiring has problems inherent in it's design when age and regular wiring resistance creep into the system. Resistance steps up not only at the connections but also in the wiring itself, and ultimately this causes the wiring and connections to heat up which ultimately cause failure.....i.e. melted wiring, fuseboxes, switches.

If you compare the electrical system to a plumbing system (and don't laugh, the analogy gets used in College when discussing circuitry), then you can understand that when the system has a bunch of clogs and leaks you don't add a bigger pump! Sure, for the first few times things would ~seem~ to flow better.....until it explodes!

Maybe the reason you don't see much about the 105 amp alternator is that most people understand that concept. More juice making CAPABILITY isn't going to help if you don't have the capacity to transport it around the car without melting the whole car.

Dave's system allows the original wiring to handle an even LOWER current than it was designed for, to actuate a secondary system that then feeds the power hungry headlamps. Think of it as Bypass Surgery around a clot / clogged artery.

E

Member ID
    CZCC-7275

Just keep us posted. when did you send the M.O. again? I like to keep track of these things.
    Dave, It went in the mail yesterday. You should have it by Tuesday.

Peter

Member ID
    CZCC-7045

Talking

I was wondering if both the headlight harness and the parking light harness can be installed in tandom. I will order these when I have the money, in 2 months. I am going on a road trip and i am getting body work done to fix the huge gash in the side of my s13. I am also wondering if you are willing to give a break on price, if I buy both H/L and parking/L harnesses at the same time?

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I can consider it. Just e-mail me with the request and we'll go from there.

Orders are on a two day delay at the moment (waiting for my relays to come in.) If I buy then at the store, they cost about $4-$5 each. If I wait a few days, They're only $1.25 each. Potter/Brumfeild relays aren't cheap but I prefer them.

Biafra for President e_racer1999's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-6883

as soon as i start making more $$ i will def get another harness. 100% satisfied with the one i have now! i would def still buy one even though the price is up
    Jason King
    6/72 240Z / HLS30 89646 (Yellow)
    1996 Infiniti I30 *I finally have all Nissans again!*
    1971 510 4door (wife's car)
    IZCC Member #14186

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    As unfortunate as it may be, if you want to vintage race, go Euro....If you want to race for real, stick with the Z!

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Dave, in case you missed it on other threads and mailing lists, I finally got my headlight harness installed. Your product is nothing less than first class. Very well engineered, Dave. I have noticed a good increase in headlight intensity.
    You might want to note that there are TWO ground connectors in your instructions. The instructions only mention cleaning the surface once. I also recommend adding an instruction to put a little dielectric grease on the end of the new female connector. The other connectors will already have a little in them, but the new female connector on the right side will not. Thanks.
    Oh, also would you recommend covering the new female connector on the right side that ends up not having the OEM plastic weather cover? I'm sure they were put there to keep water from spraying into the connector assemblies.
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-7130

Dave,

I would like to say, after having used your headlight relay harness on my 240z's for the past several months, it is one of the best engineered OEM 'replacement/upgrade' parts I've come across in the automotive aftermarket world outside of heavy industry components like heads, manifolds, etc.

I'm glad to see you're 'Back in Business' and I think your current pricing is in line with time and cost of materials.

I hope things go well for you which ever way your life turns.

Cheers,
    LWW

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Wink

SSHHHHHH, LLW! We don't want to encourage him too much on that pricing.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by bpilati
    SSHHHHHH, LLW! We don't want to encourage him too much on that pricing.
    Actually, yes we do. If he can't make enough profit on them to make it worth his time, they won't be available at any price.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Thanks a lot guys!! That means alot to me. Hey, who knew that being a pick S.O.B. would come in handy one day? But if you think about it, Being picky is what got me a beautiful wife, a pretty cool car and terrific friends.

Yes your right, the harness does seem a little pricey but in condideration of parts, labor, the fact that nobody else makes it and all the positive feedback I've recieved, it seems fair to me and all others who have bought the harness and written about it.

I'm working on a way to mass produce them for less but it's harder than you think. It's the prep work that slows me down. I have actually decreased the build time by over an hour but it still takes a while to build each one by hand.

The only problem with mass production and price reduction is it does'nt seem fare to those who just paid the current asking price of about $125. I'd like to reduce it to $100 or less but I would also have to be sure of orders before going that far. It has been suggested by another party to mass produce about 30 or so and sell them at a seriously reduced price to a Nissan dealer if they would take the deal. I'm still researching that and it's a tough one...

Thanks for all your support and praise, it's what keeps me going.

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Arne
    Actually, yes we do. If he can't make enough profit on them to make it worth his time, they won't be available at any price.
    I'm just kidding, you know that.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

...snip...
    The only problem with mass production and price reduction is it does'nt seem fare to those who just paid the current asking price of about $125. I'd like to reduce it to $100 or less ...snip....
    Dave;
    Are you saying it WOULD be fair to charge $125, even though your costs/labor MIGHT HAVE gone down with "mass" production? Or that you should reduce your price because as you improve your productivity, it isn't as costly?

Both premises are fair.

That's just plain old capitalism at work. It's also a direct result of the "Supply - Demand" curve, and it's derivative functions of production and consumption.

You've established that at $125 you CAN sell SOME units. If you raised the price you'd probably sell LESS, and if you lowered the price you'd probably sell MORE. (Supply and Demand) But then you have to consider productivity....could you produce MORE - - FASTER; or would you then have a backlog of back-orders? Would your customer's wait? That there aren't any others producing a similar/like/identical item is a bonus to you. Don't confuse that with security. If your price remains high, and someone else determines that they can produce something that would be competitive for less, then...... That's when the real competition begins.

For now, any improvements in production, reductions in costs that accrue from that or from larger quantity purchases are .....profits. If you choose to lower your price to, in essence, make it more difficult for someone else to produce something for the same money, then that begins to secure your sales and production.

But don't forget that you are selling to a closed market. That is, it's not growing (no new 240 Z's are being produced), and once you've sold a harness to a customer their need is satisfied. (Let's not get into planned obsolescense).

So, if I were to toss in 2 of advice, use the extra time and money you profit and investigate how to provide a harness for the 260 and 280's. That's called R&D.

E

Member ID
    CZCC-1628

Thumbs up

Before the H/L harness was installed the left H/L was dim (including the
    high beam). Why? Over heating H/L and T/L fuses have melted away the right side of the fuse box. Down to the point that installing a fuse will cause
    the metal plate underneath to move (grounding a big problem). Years ago
    before Dave was into Zs I had a major meltdown caused by the P/L
    wiring/fuse. Wires melted from the switch to the fuse box. I had to rewire
    the P/L wires to an aftermarket fuse box for a temporary fix. Parking Lights
    work fine now no hot fuse. But the H/L fuses were always overheating till
    one of them went dim. The Z is my daily driver and before I joined a vanpool
    was driven over 100 miles daily. Think the vanpool saved my electrical
    system. Good thing Dave came around to save us.
    My Z had a kiss in the Stone Age when someone installed an after market flat H/L plugs. Dave was able to provide a half harness with butt connectors. This allowed me to remove (aftermarket plugs) and attached harness plugs. Only took me 30 minutes to install this. Now I was able to install Dave's H/L harness in only 15 minutes. Results are day and night difference.
    To install all you do is disconnect and connect the plugs. Hang the relays like Dave's example.The ground wires are the correct length to attach them to the center valance OUTER MOUNTING BOLT (make sure you have good
    ground I found that out). Reinstall the fuse (if removed like Dave recommends) and connect the power wire.
    Zip tie or use what ever you like to hold the harness. The P/L harness is next.
    Is the price for the harness just? Yes, I was or am looking at rewiring the whole Zed. Dave eased my worries on when is the car going to shut down on my way to or from work. With this being my only transportation I could not afford the down time to redo the wiring. Now I don't smell the plastic burning and can install another fuse box in better condition and not worry about it melting also. Do you think you will get a quote of $100.00 from an auto electric shop when asked to fix your dim H/L? Will they come up with an easy fix like Dave's?
    Again great product and you are the man Dave. Wish I meet you when I lived in Marysville.
    PearlBlueZ
    5/70

Member ID
    CZCC-1760

Dave's relay harnesses are designed to perfection and the quality of the product is top shelf. He is doing the Z-community a favor by putting them on the market. His time is valuable and he deserves to make a profit for the time and skills invested in each harness.

With all the positive feedback on his product he is in a position to raise the price on future orders. I have purchased both the headlight and the parking light harness and will be one of his first customers to buy his next electrical invention / improvement for the 240Z's.

Keep up the outstanding work Dave! Your products sell themselves without advertising.
    Ron
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    VIN: HLS30-16483
    Mfg Date: Dec, 1970

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

One more point to emphasize how compelling the relay harness is: the stock headlamp fuses are 10A. We all know that these fuses can get hot and cause the fusebox to melt. After installing the upgrade I switched to 3A fuses. Just now I went and measured the actual current through one of these fuses. Actually, it looks like only one of the fuses is actually needed now (the fuse that was formerly just for the R lamp).

low beams: 0.13A
    high beams: 0.33A

That's with upgraded Silverstar 55/65W headlamps.
    -Mike
    Add your Z to my online spreadsheet registry

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by EScanlon
    Dave;
    Are you saying it WOULD be fair to charge $125, even though your costs/labor MIGHT HAVE gone down with "mass" production? Or that you should reduce your price because as you improve your productivity, it isn't as costly?

E
    When I said "The only problem with mass production and price reduction is it does'nt seem fare to those who just paid the current asking price of about $125."
    What I was saying is this; "If you just paid me $125 for a harness, then found out that you could have held out and only paid $100, You would most likely tell me that I was being unfair or unjust in my business practices."

PLEASE understand that I personally DON'T like charging the $125 for the headlight harness but with all the stress that they caused me last time, I promissed my wife that I would'nt consider doing it again for anything less.

Now that I have new suppliers, new process's of manufacturing, and a little more time on my hands, I then and only then decided to start making them again. I personally can not think of one single person who likes to work for pretty much nothing. And thats how I felt when I was charging $45 then $75 for the harness's.

Now that I might be able to "mass produce them" on a small scale of lets say "ten at a time", It would be easier to bring the price down closer to what it was before I stopped making them.

So my initial statement of "it doesn't seem fare" roughly meant that I feel bad offering it at a lower price to the new customers, when it was the recent customers that helped me get to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW
    Just now I went and measured the actual current through one of these fuses. Actually, it looks like only one of the fuses is actually needed now (the fuse that was formerly just for the R lamp).

low beams: 0.13A
    high beams: 0.33A

That's with upgraded Silverstar 55/65W headlamps.
    Thank you so much!! I've been waiting for these numbers for a long time.
    To go from 10+ amps thru 2 fuses, down to ..13A and .33A on just one fuse is exactly what I was trying to accomplish. Just imagine or better yet, do the math, If your headlight switches contacts are supposed to last for 20 years at 10 amps for five hours a day (Thats really over over doing it but you get my meaning) Imagine how long they'll last at only .33amps max current.

By my math, at 10A for five hours is 50 amp hours (for example only
    and .33A max flow (with high beams) at 5 hours is only 1.65 amp hours!!!
    That's over 30 times less current flow thru your fuses and headlight switch.

Juan, glad to hear that the custom pigtails I made for you, worked out for ya.

This will obviously not last forever Enrique, I know this to be fact. and thats one of the reasons I was making per order. Cause you never know when it'll all come to a screaching halt.

Thanks alot guys, I deeply appreciate all the good things you have to say,

Much respect,
    Dave.
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 02-16-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Thank you so much!! I've been waiting for these numbers for a long time.
    To go from 10+ amps thru 2 fuses, down to ..13A and .33A on just one fuse is exactly what I was trying to accomplish. Just imagine or better yet, do the math, If your headlight switches contacts are supposed to last for 20 years at 10 amps for five hours a day (Thats really over over doing it but you get my meaning) Imagine how long they'll last at only .33amps max current.

By my math, at 10A for five hours is 50 amp hours (for example only
    and .33A max flow (with high beams) at 5 hours is only 1.65 amp hours!!!
    That's over 30 times less current flow thru your fuses and headlight switch.
    I think there are two separate issues here. The reduced amperage through the fusebox and original wiring is the main benefit of using the relays - no question. This is turn gives you brighter lights due to less resistance and therefore higher voltage - another big advantage.

As far as the combination switch goes - and I ended up repairing my own - it's the actual switching on and off that's the problem, not the duration that the lights are on. With DC current, there's always a small arc when the switch is opened or closed and over time it damages the switch. Presumably the contacts would get damaged faster with higher amperage so using the relays should help there as well but once your lights are on leaving them on for hours should not cause the switch problems. My understanding is that this is the main reason that automotive manufacturers have not gone to 24V or higher systems. The big reason to do that would be to use smaller gauge wires for everything - saving weight and money - but the increased voltage would kill the switches faster.
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-7130

Dave,

It's often difficult for people that have always been 'employees' to get their minds around being self-employed and what implications that has for their financial planning.

You found out that you were donating your time with the previous runs and that's not fair to you or your family. At the current price, your still spending about 3 hours to manufacture each harness. I think with the cost of your parts and supplies, you're still only getting about $20/hour for your labor. I'd say that's more reasonable than any other company out there. Think about an auto mechanic that charges $80, $90 and even $100/hour. They do this to cover their material costs, building space lease/mortgage and their employees labor. Even at these rates, there's still not much left for 'profit'.

You should in no way feel guilty about providing a valuable product at a very reasonable price. Especially after you provided the detailed instructions to the public domain. Anyone that wants to save a few bucks can use your directions to do it themselves. Anyone that doesn't have the time, energy or aptitude and has $125, will buy one pre-built from you.

It is VERY common for people to pay a premium for a brand new service or product when it first comes on the market. The fact that you started with the price too low is a common mistake for a new business. You think you've corrected it. Maybe, maybe not. But don't feel guilty, I would have bought my harness from you at $125 too. When MSA is charging $200 for a replacement blade style fuse box, that doesn't really solve the original design deficiencies inherint in the Z cars wiring, you can put your conscience at ease knowing you ARE solving the problem.

I see your relay harness as an investment in the longevity of my Z car's original wiring and safety of my Z from possible electrical fire.

Once production ramps up, initial 'start-up' costs have been recovered and economies of scale start to kick in, the production price is reduced. In some cases, the manufacturer will pass that cost savings on to the public and reduce the retail price of the product.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but as a small independant business owner, I'll chime in with my opinion. As has been mentioned previously, your target market is dwindling with the 240z's and it would be a bad business move to cut your prices before you've expanded your market.

Find a way to produce the product for the 260/280z's and then, if your wife can stomach it, you can lower your price on the relay harness for the 240z.

Cheers,
    LWW

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

And not to mention the price of a fuse box and headlight switch can push you over $300 for a good set.

And a replacement relay (which you can get at almost ANY auto parts store) is only going to cost you between $3 and $6 dollars. not hundreds.

Thanks for all the input,
    Dave.

of the Silver Shield Soc. dogma420's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3789

A large 105 or 120 zspecialties alternator will probably make no difference in light brightness without Dave's harness (IMO, if someone else knows otherwise please reply).

Also, per Dave (can you vouch for this) I was talking to him about how everthing is working perfect (after the harness install), but was wondering why I still had problems with wiper speed and turn signal blinking speed under 1500 rpms...both items slowed down even with the harness installed. He mentioned that the stock alternator doesn't start pumping out adequate amps until it hits 1500rpm. Thus, this is why I am going to get the 120 amp alternator.

I am also planning on upgrading my stereo; I'm getting one of those Pioneer decks from Walmart that play mp3s (I have a sony cd changer controlling deck with cd changer right now) and by putting the mp3 one in, I can play 10 discs like on my cd changer on ONE cd by using mp3s. Plus I save all the space my cd changer takes up. Yeah!

Anyways, I'm not an audio freak, but I like nice clean sound, with a little bass to back it up. I plan on putting 5.25" in custom enclosures in the area right above the footrest on each side in the front, and use the 6x9 enclosure that MSA sells. Then I'm getting the best money can buy 5.25's and 6x9s and getting a nice 100watt to 250 watt mosfet amp, not sure which one.

I don't listen too loud, but I do want it to sound clear with good bass when I turn it up.

Enough off subject!

The 105 amp would be great for the 'slowness' of the wipers and turn signal blinking under 1500 rpm's but it isn't going to do a thing about making the headlights 'brighter' like Dave's harness. (if I'm wrong please tell me so and explain!).

Dave-- possibly a suggestion would be to make an alternative wiring harness with no ends for 260 and 280 folks, with the price cheaper. I know this probably flies in the face of your policies (it probably would mine) but I'm pretty biased being a 240 owner only.

The 260/280 people should have some kind of access to your harness. It's definitely worth $125 and then they could go find connectors at the junkyard from a junker to make it plug and play...or they might not even care about modifying the wiring...

But if you were to take off the price/labor of connecting those connectors that are only on the 240z, that would make the harness much cheaper? I think it might be something to consider for the 260/280 people, as these cars I feel have pretty much the same rights the 240 does to quality parts. Well, not equal, but close...just kidding.
    Last edited by dogma420; 02-17-2006 at 08:15 PM.
    --Dave aka Dogma420 My Gallery
    Early '72 red 110 / white (10/71)
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-2233

Dave, got the P/L harness yesterday, thanks for the quick turnaround. Will let you know how the install goes.

Todays project is the 105 amp alternator install. The reason I posted that your headlights might work better with it was based on this thread. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...hlight=105+amp

I'm not planning on disconnecting/re-connecting my old wiring to test the new alternator so it's a moot point providing everything goes ok getting the alternator put on.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Question

Okay question. What will the parking light harness do for me?
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

The other problem I have found is that the ZX alternator only puts out a higher amperage but still has the same downfall as the 240 alternator, It does not put out a decent charge at idle. This is thru experiance and the word of 3 different sources.

So yes, the ZX alternator does have a higher output than the 240Z's alternator but does the same damn thing that the 240Z's alternator does at idle.

I'm gonna do a little work on the Z today, being as how U.P.S. completely
    F%$#@!ed me AGAIN. They gauranteed me a delivery on the 17th, They even told me that they have untill 11:59pm to deliver it on the 17th. GUESS WHAT?
    NO PACKAGE!!! Which means no harness's can even be finished untill MONDAY and not be delivered until TUESDAY!!

Needless to say, I'm F$#@in pissed off!!! I sit here an tell you guys when I'll deliver your harness's and then end up looking like a liar cause a Proffesional company like U.P.S. can't get there **** together.

Sorry, just venting,
    Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Bryan,
    At the risk of sounding like an asshole, do you ever read the forums or just hop on and ask off the wall questions?

After two years of threads on the headlight harness, you still asked what it was and what it would do for your car. After explaining it um-teen times to other people, you still ask the same questions.

I'm sorry for ripping on ya but come on. take five minutes and read the forums. There is a link on the bottom of my signature to both subjects.

Having a bad day and taking it out on who-ever gets in the way,
    Dave.
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 02-18-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

Default Baaad Daaay!

Oh Did The Poor Baby Get Up In The Wrong Zip Code?
    ...................fed-x................................................. .

Jzm.

P.s.ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

P.s.s. Are We Still On For The Z Drive Tomorrow?

Member ID
    CZCC-2233

I'm getting all three to hedge my bets against God knows what. Is that a good answer?

Member ID
    CZCC-8004

Hey Dave, I'm glad to hear you're "back in the business" again, so to speak! I only hope you'll hang with the offer for a little longer. I'm definitely interested but the funds are unavailable at the moment. Hurricane, bank, insurance companie and lawyers... you fill in the blanks

I HOPE it all gets settled by summertime so work on the Z can resume.
    1973 240Z - Red/4 Spd w A/C - HLS30-134739
    1990 Alfa Romeo Spider - Black

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by JZM
    Oh Did The Poor Baby Get Up In The Wrong Zip Code?
    ...................fed-x................................................. .

Jzm.

P.s.ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

P.s.s. Are We Still On For The Z Drive Tomorrow?

OF COARSE WE ARE!!! I gotta get the hell out of this house. I'll call ya later on this evening. I'm just giddy, thinking about how ape-sh!t I'm gonna go on the Yellow Z when I get a chance and the extra funds.

Anybody in the area wanna meet us in Anacortes, WA. tomorrow (2/19/06) around noonish (Washington Park) ??????

Member ID
    CZCC-2233

I do!...but I'm in Middle GA right now....I guess I'll have to wait until I retire.
    Last edited by gogriz91; 02-19-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

Oh my god....................
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Guess who finally called me. That's right UPS called me three days after I was supposed to get my package to finish these orders.

Then they have the nerve to tell me "it won't be to your house till 6pm this evening". I reamed the hell out of her and demanded delivery of my package NOW. She's going to call the driver and find out where he is at this very moment, Then I'LL GO MEET HIM AND GET IT MYSELF.

I could have driven to southern California (from northern Washington) and picked the order up and got home by thursday MYSELF. Screw U.P.S. I'll never be using them again, ever!!

Sorry guys, Just venting again, the orders should be in the mail by Tuesday morning. Unless I get hit by a fricken truck or something
    Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-7275

I could have driven to southern California (from northern Washington) and picked the order up and got home by thursday MYSELF. Screw U.P.S. I'll never be using them again, ever!!
    Dave.
    Now take a deep breath and calm down Dave. I've seen those UPS drivers out there past dinner time trying to get those deliveries made. My overall impression is that they are a pretty hard working lot. I know I look forward to getting my headlight harness, but it's not like I have to have it right away.

The delivery company that bugs me is FedEx. They won't leave the package unless it's signed for. Since I never seem to be home when they come by, it ends up taking half a week before I get my stuff. And that's after it is already in my city.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

The delivery company that bugs me is FedEx. They won't leave the package unless it's signed for. Since I never seem to be home when they come by, it ends up taking half a week before I get my stuff. And that's after it is already in my city.
    I frequently have that problem with FedEx here, also. And DHL in my area contracts with a local temp agency who pays the drivers miniumum wage. The poor people are pushed hard but paid squat. So you can guess how motivated they are.

So around here, UPS is the best of a poor lot.

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

The delivery company that bugs me is FedEx. They won't leave the package unless it's signed for.
    With FedEx you can fill out a form instructing them that it's Ok to leave the package unsigned.

https://www.fedex.com/ca_english/signaturerelease/
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

So anyways, UPS finally showed up and the driver did'nt look very happy with me, WAAAAH!

Here are the harness's that I finished and delivered today...

Cliff Wood, 1-PLH & 1-HLH
    Mike Gard, 1-PLH & 1-HLH
    Dave Cherry, 1-PLH
    Sam Starr, 1-PLH
    Ruben Whittemore, 1-PLH
    Peter Van Der Pas, 1-HLH
    Kenneth C. Lewis, 1-PLP & 1-HLH

Thanks for your orders and tell your friends!

Mike Wang, got your PLP order and will ship asap
    Richard Ecker, got your order for 1-PLP and 1-HLH and will ship asap
    Brad Proudfoot, Your Canadian order will take a little longer, but you probably already knew that. Thanks man!.

Thanks again guys, let us know when you get 'em and put em in.
    Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Mike Wang, got your PLH order and will ship asap

Richard Ecker, got your order for 1-PLH and 1-HLH and will ship asap

Brad Proudfoot, Your Canadian order will take a little longer, but you probably already knew that. Thanks man!.

Dave.

I kicked butt all day and finished 'em all. All 3 will be delivered tomorrow (2/23/06) They'll go out Priority Mail thru USPS and should only take 2-3 days. Some of you should have your package before the week-end is up.

Brad, I checked with the Post office and they said 4 to 7 days to your location. don't worry, $15 value on the box. I got ya covered. I hate taxes as much as the next guy.

Thanks guys, tell your friends and let us know when ya get 'em and put them in. I love to hear the results.

I'm trying to make a small surplus of harness's, so if you're thinking of buying one of the 2 ( or both) harness's that I make, Now's the time.

Thanks again guys,
    Dave.
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 02-23-2006 at 12:01 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Things have slowed down a bit, so if your thinking about ordering either harness's from me, I've got time on my hands.

By the way, I DO combine shipping on multiple orders now. If you know of a 240Z in need of a harness, or thinking of a gift for your friends in a Z-car club, brighter lights may be just what they're looking for.

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

With all this talk of alternator swaps, it sounds like a good time to remind people of the Headlight and Parking light upgrade harness's. Read the post above this one and the links to the forums is also above this one and on the bottom of this post.

Summer times coming but the nights are still dark. And remember that some idiot is least likely to hit your beautiful Zcar if he can actually see all your lights. Make 'em all brighter with both of my harness.

just a reminder.

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-7739

Thumbs up Thank You Dave!

I got my wiring harness in on Saturday. I was expected good quality, but I was not expecting a harness that looks bulletproof. The overall quality and fit and finish is Top Rate! All of the wires are larger guage, and all of the connections are heat-shrinked. it all looks very professional. I am Extremely Immpressed. I look forward to installing it.
    It is definately worth every penny.
    Thanks Again Dave!

~Richard
    ~Richard Ecker

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

Dave, I have a quick question--

I just bought a new stereo, and i want it to have wiring straight from the battery and I'm about to install the parking light harness, so I bought a 4 into 1 bracket, that allows me to have 1 wire coming from the battery positive to this connector and splitting it up...I'm going to have 3 items on it, the headlight harness, the parking light harness, and my car stereo, and this is only going to have the stereo's power, its a $130 Pioneer 50w x 4 deck, nothing special.

Anyways, the car stereo place (where I got this setup) gave me some 8 guage wire to use between the battery and the connection. Do you think this is adequate? or should I go with a regular battery cable size guage wire?

Thanks in advance,
    HLS30 56895

240 Z Owner/Nut Case dhoneycutt's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4557

I tend to caution on the side of overkill when it comes to stuff like this. I would scrap the 8 gauge and go with 4 gauge. You may decide to add to the stereo later on which would require more. Just my $.02 worth of advice.
    David A. Honeycutt
    United States Air Force, Retired

1972 Datsun 240Z HLS3079961
    A Work in Progress

2004 Mazda 6s
    2009 BMW 535xi

The Only Difference Between Men & Boys... Is The Price Of Their Toys!

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

so is 4 guage the same size as the normal battery cable? If so, I should probably look into getting a 2 output post for this...anybody have any suggestions? This is one area where I'm not very knowledgeable, but I do always 'redo' my connections each year at least one on my posts, with a cleaner, and spray some of that red stuff every time on them--has always worked good for me.
    Attached is a photo of a dual wire connector, one connects at 6 oclock and one connects at 3 oclock...what does everyone think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BatteryTerminal.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	11256  
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

...or napa must make one where it looks stock at the terminal, with 2 4 guage wires come out of it (both red)....what do you all think?
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I'm guessing that it a remote style splitter (chunk of brass with 1 big input and four outputs that sits somewhere other than the battery)?

If that's the case, 8 gauge should be adiquit but I also agree with Dhoneycutt. 4 gauge would be better if that distribution block allows an input of that size.

Think of wiring as plumbing. The more flow you need, the bigger the pipe. If you run small pipe, and try to get it to feed too many things, the line could burst or fail. Now if your talking about wiring- that would mean that the wire would over heat from too much current flow (just like water) and go into meltdown. which means fire.

So to answer your question simply, yes it will work but why take a chance, go with something a little bigger (4-gauge). That Pioneer will not draw that much power and there is technichly no possible way for it to TRULY make the 200 watts that it says it makes. Even with a lightning strike!! I've worked with stereos for over 20 years now, so trust me on that one. If it could, there would be a lot bigger wire one the stereo and it would be fused with at least a 20Amp fuse.

When I worked at Car-Toys in Everett WA, we hooked that yellow wire up to the stock wiring all the time and never had a problem.

Heres some more info for all of you in need of the know......
    On almost every stereo made nowadays, the wires are this...

Yellow=battery power(+)
    Red=Ignition or switched power (+)
    Black=any good chassis ground (-)
    Blue=amp turn on lead(+)
    Blue/white=power antenna lead (+)
    orange=Illumination (radio dimmer)

White= left front speaker (+)
    white/black=left front speaker(-)

Grey=right frontspeaker (+)
    Grey/black=right front speaker (-)

Green=left rear speaker (+)
    Green/black= left rear speaker (-)

Purple= right rear speaker (+)
    Purple/black=right rear speaker (-)

Hope that helps,
    Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-7417

Dave, Quick question. What is the difference between your driving light harness and that sold by VB?

George
    George

73-240Z, Original Owner
    Triple Mikuni Carbs
    5-Speed
    3.90 Diffy
    2:58 inch Exhaust
    Tokico Shocks/Springs
    105 Amp Alt
    MSD 6A ignition/coil/wires
    4 Core Radiator
    McIntosh Audio

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Quote Originally Posted by ZIII
    Dave, Quick question. What is the difference between your driving light harness and that sold by VB?
    Dave answered this previously:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...9&postcount=42
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Thanks Mike. The VB Harness, In my opinion, is a P.I.T.A. (Pain In The A$$)

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-9354

Dave, in case you missed it on other threads and mailing lists, I finally got my headlight harness installed. Your product is nothing less than first class. Very well engineered, Dave. I have noticed a good increase in headlight intensity.
    You might want to note that there are TWO ground connectors in your instructions. The instructions only mention cleaning the surface once. I also recommend adding an instruction to put a little dielectric grease on the end of the new female connector. The other connectors will already have a little in them, but the new female connector on the right side will not. Thanks.
    Oh, also would you recommend covering the new female connector on the right side that ends up not having the OEM plastic weather cover? I'm sure they were put there to keep water from spraying into the connector assemblies.
    Hello Dave,
    I will loudly echo everyone's praises regarding the headlight harness. Great design, top-notch fabrication and superb in application. I was having a hot fuse and headlight switch problem, exacerbated by the previous owner's installtation of H-4's, and only slightly mitigated by my disassembly and cleaning of the switch. Dave's harness in - problem solved. Great job!

Here are some observations from my experience that might make the whole transaction even better.

1. PayPal payment option. You mentioned somewhere your reluctance to incorporate this because they charge a fee. I suggest that you offer buyers the option of paying 2 or 3 dollars more per item to cover the Paypal fee if they would like to pay instantly in this fashion. Since my credit union charged me $2.00 for the cashier's check / money order, I would gladly have paid the extra $2.00 to you for a PayPal option.

2. I would suggest rewriting instruction 10, which says

"Remove the bolt that holds the center valance to the inner frame (fig.2)"

so that it says

"10) Remove 2 bolts which hold the lower valance to the inner frame on each side of the lower radiator support(fig.2)"

In conjunction with this, I would suggest posting the photographs in your instructions to your classiczcars gallery, where they can be viewed in color and with greater clarity.

Why? Because the phrase "center valance" had me looking at a bolt in the center of the car, and fig.#2 photo was not clear enough to straighten me out. Also, by adding the phrase "on each side of the radiator", it would clarify that there are two bolts that should be prepped for grounding. You see, as I passed the harness through the lower radiator support hole (step 6), I failed to pass the ground wire for the right side connector through the hole. I was able to make all the other connections, and mistakenly assumed that the installation was complete after grounding the left side headlight connector (until I powered up and threw the switch!). Upon reviewing this thread, I found bpilati's post and the reference to two grounds, and found the error of my ways. In suggesting that the instructions be changed to reflect two grounding points, I agree with bpilati's earlier assertion.

3. If refining the design is your desire, again I would agree with bpilati's suggestion to place a rubber sheath on the female connector to protect that connection as is done with the others.

4. As a general regard for privacy, I'll suggest you could inform people of the progress of their orders by using their first name, last initial or user name as opposed to first and last name. Personally, I have no objection to you informing me by using my full name, but others may prefer the anonymity.

5. Lastly, I would suggest that you arrange to promote your products on Zselect.com, linked here:http://www.hammondsplains.com/z/. This site is described as "Products for Z Enthusiasts by Z Enthusiasts", which certainly describes you and your products. At the bottom of the page is a clickee with contact information to ad your products. I found this site linked in a post on zcar.com, where you could also advertise in their classifieds. And I would definitely offer your harnesses on ebay.

I hope these suggestions are of some value to you, and that they are received in the spirit which they are intended, that is, constructively - not critically.

As Carl Beck's signature says,
    FWIW,
    Gary S.

Member ID
    CZCC-7417

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW

Thanks Mike.... that says it all.....
    George

73-240Z, Original Owner
    Triple Mikuni Carbs
    5-Speed
    3.90 Diffy
    2:58 inch Exhaust
    Tokico Shocks/Springs
    105 Amp Alt
    MSD 6A ignition/coil/wires
    4 Core Radiator
    McIntosh Audio

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by 7T1240
    Hello Dave,
    I will loudly echo everyone's praises regarding the headlight harness. Great design, top-notch fabrication and superb in application. Dave's harness in - problem solved. Great job!
    Thank you very much!!

1. PayPal payment option. You mentioned somewhere your reluctance to incorporate this because they charge a fee.
    As I said in a post a while ago, but it most likely got burried somewhere " I don't Have a bank account of my own at the moment, U.S. Bank screwed me six ways from Sunday and put the ass cream a little too far out of reach"
    I will however work on something easier, But I have also mentioned that almost every 7-11 and most conveniant stores in almost every town in the U.S. has money orders for about 0.79 cents each.

2. I would suggest rewriting instruction 10,
    I'll work on that, thanks for pointing it out.

3. If refining the design is your desire, again I would agree with bpilati's suggestion to place a rubber sheath on the female connector to protect that connection as is done with the others.
    I have actually looked for those boots with no luck thus far. However, With as much Di-electric grease as I put in each plug, I don't really think moisture will be the issue. I have found that those boots are not only useless (in keeping moisture out) but make great homes for bugs to live in.

4. As a general regard for privacy, I'll suggest you could inform people of the progress of their orders by using their first name, last initial or user name as opposed to first and last name.
    I totally agree, with the exception that no one has ever mentioned it being a problem. Also, I have mentioned many times that an E-mail address or Screen name inside the order would be much appreciated. Yet I've only gotten 3 screen names and 2 E-mails so far (in a year and a half of making these harness's) I'm usually to busy to compare and find e-mails and match them to orders out of the mailbox.

5. Lastly, I would suggest that you arrange to promote your products on Zselect.com, linked here:http://www.hammondsplains.com/z/. This site is described as "Products for Z Enthusiasts by Z Enthusiasts", which certainly describes you and your products. And I would definitely offer your harnesses on ebay.
    Once again, I totaly agree! I'll keep these in mind as well. But I'm gonna pass on the whole e-bay thing for quite a while. It runs along side the whole Pay-pal issue and I'm not at a stage where I can make an e-bay store or take a loss on too low of a bid. I realize that a buy-it-now button is there for the taking but because of my situation which I'll explain on the next paragraph, my schedule does'nt allow it.

My situation is this....I have 5 kids and a beautiful wife who has severe Epilepsy. It's on both sides of her brain and inoperable till new technology comes around. Even if they had an operation ready right now, we won't do it till the kids are mature enough and have moved out and are able to handle their mother not making it thru the surgery (worst case scenario)
    I wake up at 6:30 and help her get the kids off to school after feeding and practically dressing them. I check my e-mails then start calling in orders and making harness's. But I also have to schedule around multiple Dr's apointments and school functions. My mother has M.S., My brother has a new baby and a girlfriend with a drug problem. I make multiple runs to her bank and help my best friend with his espresso stand on top of working on cars as another source of income.

Needless to say, My days are pretty damn full and I barely have enough time to write this and get to bed so I can get up in the morning and do it all over again.

I hope these suggestions are of some value to you, and that they are received in the spirit which they are intended, that is, constructively - not critically
    Constructive critisism is the backbone of every small business and is deffinately welcome here. Without it, my harness's would'nt be what they are today.

Thanks again,
    Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-9354

Dave,
    I had no idea what your personal situation is, and I appreciate you enlightening me. This makes me respect your work even more. Given these circumstances, it pains me to see you replying to my post at 12:55 a.m. I think we need to establish an internet curfew for you, say, no posting after midnight!
    Best wishes,
    Gary S.

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

Dave,

I'm not sure what the big deal is with paypal...you just increase your shipping and handling figure to offset the cost of using it...on ebay, its the way to go, having sold lots of stuff on there....the cost of paypal transactions shouldn't effect anything you do on there, imo. You don't get screwed by people sending checks either...once the money is in your paypal account, nobody's touching it but you, and you don't ship til its there.
    HLS30 56895

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-5874

Quote Originally Posted by dogma420
    Dave,

I'm not sure what the big deal is with paypal....

As I said in a post a while ago, but it most likely got burried somewhere "I don't Have a bank account of my own at the moment, U.S. Bank screwed me six ways from Sunday and put the ass cream a little too far out of reach"
    I will however work on something easier, But I have also mentioned that almost every 7-11 and most conveniant stores in almost every town in the U.S. has money orders for about 0.79 cents each.
    Thanks again,
    Dave.
    Guys,

Sure PayPal might be a little more convenient for us, but Dave has plenty on his plate, and has done and is doing a great service for us and our cars. Even where I live (boonies) money orders aren't too tough or expensive to purchase. Let's let him run his business the way he wants and/or needs to.

$.02

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Ya, I almost fell asleep writing that, last night.

And to add to todays "gotta do" list, My S.U.'s have gone to the crapper and need to be swapped today. It won't idle for sh1t and it's a b_tch to start in the mornings, or any time that it's not warm.

Luckily I still have that triple S.U. set up form late last year.

Guess it's tear apart time,
    Dave.
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 03-02-2006 at 01:03 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

It won't idle for sh1t and it's a b_tch to start in the mornings, or any time that it's not warm.
    Are you sure it's not just a choke cable adjustment problem?
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

They've never been cleaned or rebuilt (in 35 years). Choke cable is for from being the problem, But thanks for the advice.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

wasn't in the loop back year on the 3 su setup, have you tried that yet,
    Dave?
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Kinda boggy under full throttle but fired up great, idled great and damn hard to tune.

You want to but the intake manifold? It comes with the extra goodies to make the linkage work. Any takers?

Dave.

P.S. Aren't we a little off subject? Does everybody have a harness yet?

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I'll have parts in by wed or thursday for those of you who are waiting for a good time to order your harness'(s)

Don't forget that I am also offering the foglight attachment for an extra $25.
    It's integrated into the headlight harness so you only see an additional relay and two wires for the foglights and 1 little input wire that goes to stock fog light wire near the healight plug.

Use the links below to email me or find more info,

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-3591

Dave,
    Sent you an e-mail today requesting a total for both harnesses. BTW a good way to get the power from the battery is to put another ring connector and wire on the starter post and run it into the cockpit. Then install a PDB (power distribution block). I Already have one installed to power my MSD, Stereo, iPod Adapter, and soon, your relay kits.
    Russell A. Buckwalter
    SFC US Army
    Aviation

She now lives on a showroom floor.....I WILL BUILD ANOTHER ONE

If Nissan Motorsports is NISMO, is Honda Motorsports HOMO?

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

I agree with Dtsnlvrs....

Having 2 attachments to the positive terminal, AND wanting to have my new stereo cd player head unit connected directly to the battery would have me jamming 3 extra wires!

So I went to a stereo shop (got my stereo at Walmart, I'm a cheap ass--but it is a nice 50w x 4 mosfet mp3 compatible Pioneer head I paid only $130!!!) and the stereo shop sold me a 1 into 3 gold plated attachment...all have a screw that you tighten to secure each wire into the block, it looks great. Waterproof with a plastic shielding cover. They were quite helpful, and said that this block is normally placed inside the cabin and used for amplifiers only. They said it would have no problems with the configuration I wanted--just that I need to use 4 gauge wiring instead of their normal 8 gauge they use for the live feed for amplifiers. The hole that the live cable goes into fits a 4 gauge wire perfectly as well.

The live wire feed is big enough for 4 guage wire, so I bought a 2 foot length of wire so I'll only have 1 extra 4 guage wire. So what I'm going to do is mount this little contraption next to the battery on the firewall where there is a nice little space with enough room for wires on both sides...

4 gauge wire goes into block on battery side; on the other side, I have a live feed for the stereo head (still have presets, etc. hooked up to cigarette lighter)...the other 2 holes are used for Dave's headlight relay and the parking light relay.

I'll post pictures as soon as I have it assembled.

PS. I just ordered a brand new 92 Honda Civic blower fan, from www.drivewire.com, an online auto parts supplier.

Direct Link:

http://www.drivewire.com/hondaparts/...owermotor.html

The total cost with free shipping was $85. I thought this was a good deal, considering that this is a major everyday item that I use quite frequently with Oregon's chilly wet winter weather. Can't wait to see the difference!!! (apologies right now if you didn't want me to change subjects...I thought with the electrical improvements being the major subject of this thread everyone would be interested.)

Everyone have a good week,
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I totaly agree with ya'll. I have a "Pheonix Gold 100 amp Circuit Breaker" located on the support bracket, near the battery. I have a few things attached to the input side of it and a few more to the output side of the breaker.

I can break the circuit at any time in order to work on the car without having to disconnect the battery.

Just hit the little red button and the swing arm opens. slide it back into place to reset it. They cost about 10-40 dollars all depends on the brand and amperage.
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 03-15-2006 at 01:15 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

Default Here's some pictures of the block I bought...

David,

Check out the pictures of the block I bought; it's for amplifiers at a car stereo shop, but should do the trick.

I'm mounting it near the battery on the firewall in the engine compartment.

On the big hole side, a 4 guage wire from the battery is going; on the other side your headlight harness and your parking light hardness are going to get their electricity. I'm also hooking up my stereo (just a head unit, low wattage).

Tell me what you think; also, I know, the holes might be too small; if they are, I'm just going to drill them a little bigger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Block1.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	11470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Block2.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	11471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Block3.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	11472  
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

that'll work great! It looks like a 1-4 gauge in and 4-8 gauge out. The biggest wire I have on a harness is 8 gauge on the HLH w/ foglight attachment.

You can even put both harness's power wires into one of the four holes if you want.

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

Yeah, I think it will work great....I'll have 4 guage on one side from the battery, and 8 guage on the other side for your headlight harness, the parking light harness, and a live feed for my stereo decks power.

I don't have a garage however, and I'm going to wait until this Portland, Oregon weather gets better....its been rainy and pretty cold outside....not the kind of weather I like to be out in for a few hours doing a dexterious task like wiring on my car....supposed to warm up next week so we'll see.
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Are ya going to the MSA event with us?

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...460#post166460

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

David,

If you're talking to me...if not, here goes anyways....;-)

Having got laid-off a month ago, and fighting my previous company and Oregon Unemployment insurance over $$$ has pretty much tapped me out...plus I'm spending approx $1,000 today or Monday on various parts at VB and MSA.

My car doesn't stack up to just about anybody's car that looks nice on this site...due to not having a garage, I've kept the outside looking like crap on purpose. I plan on putting new oem fenders, door skins, doglegs, rockers, lower half of quarter panels...just about everything after I take a few welding classes at PCC.

I'm NOT whining about my car, but a year from this summer coming up, I'll have a garage (Hopefully) and I can trick my car out...and it will be a good representation of what I think of Zs...right now, I just don't want it getting stolen, and I also use it as a daily driver while my van sits with a dead starter...(uh....i sure have been lazy picking up that new starter...I think I've put at least 6,000 miles on my Z since I put your headlight harness in...man, I've got to tell you, that is one of the best things I've ever done to my car....THANK YOU ...you can't know how much this upgrade has improved my happiness about my beloved Z...

CA (Los Angeles) is just too far to go on my budget coming up in April....I do have a hidden card in my deck for next summer however.....my lady wants to take her 2 kids (and one of mine) down to Disneyland next summer (not this one) so it looks like I could push them to go to the 2007 msa event and push up the disneyland trip earlier than summer....sounds like fun....

I'd take my conversion van, with a dolly behind it, towing my z...I'd just drive the Z, but the whole family will go...

But my lady would cut me off (you know what I mean) if I took off for MSA with my money issues right now AND her not having that time to take off right now (like taking the Thurs/Fri off from work)....to me it wouldn't make sense unless you took most of the week off, and visited Disneyland, Knots Berry Farm, and that new Disney attraction, what's it called? California Adventure? and Magic Mountain just north of course--love that place, and my Taz tank top is worn out, so I got to go back soon!!!!

Anyways, that's my sad excuse for not going this year, but I can promise you that I will attend in 2007....it would be my first year and I'm telling you, I'm already excited.

David--be sure to take a LOT of pictures (anyone else too!) Mike will more than likely as usual in the past make a place to post all pictures from everybody.
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-7846

Dave-

Received the harness on Saturday. Felt like a kid at Christmas.
    Outstanding workmanship.
    Now all I need is the time to install it, as job #3 started this weekend.
    Haven't had time to source the other plug yet, but working on that too.

Thanks again for providing an excellent product.
    Allen

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by Chefling
    Dave-

Received the harness on Saturday. Felt like a kid at Christmas.
    Outstanding workmanship.
    Now all I need is the time to install it, as job #3 started this weekend.
    Haven't had time to source the other plug yet, but working on that too.

Thanks again for providing an excellent product.
    Allen
    Just keep an eye out for it and thank you!

P.S. HO-HO-HO Merwy cwismas!

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-3591

Dave,
    I put a money order in the mail on Friday. I cannot wait to see your craftsmanship. If it is anything as close to what everyone else says, I will be in Heaven. BTW I bought a new pair of headlight assemblies...anybody want some OEM KOITO headlamps...I am gonna replace them with Cibie lamps.
    Russell A. Buckwalter
    SFC US Army
    Aviation

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I've got parts on order and should get them by mid week. I'll watch the mail for it.

Thanks again.

Member ID
    CZCC-7009

Just to add to the long list of satisfied customers....

Received the harnesses (HLH with fog, PLH) couple days ago. Excellent service and turnaround time! They appear well-constructed and made of solid materials. Instructions provided are in plain language, easy to follow, and should be simple to install. Very pleased with the product!

Can't say how well they work, simply because my car is deconstructed for paint and bodywork. I'll update that aspect when appropriate.

Thanks again, Dave. You've got a great product.
    Steve
    Steve

HLS30-81167 restored, top to bottom.
    2001 M roadster Gehen sie Schneller!
    1987 SpecE30 Trackster...welcome home!
    Making up for owning a minivan...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/srcartermd

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

I was talking about installing a 88-91 Honda heater motor/fan in my 240z earlier in this thread...here's my new link about the installation....

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...271#post167271
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-8754

hi. i just bought a z and the wiring is a total mess...speaker wire was used to "attempt" to power a headlight and the fusebox is a whole other story. the connector on one side was broken out and then directly wedged into the other connector, apparently this guy didnt couldnt afford fuses. what would i have to do in order to use your harness? what is included with it? i may have to replace the entirety or the electrical system in my car. good thing i dont have to mess with FI/Electrical ignition!
    First Z, First True Love...

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Before you can really take advantage of Dave's harnesses, you will need to correct the issues with your car's existing wiring. You didn't mention what year your car is, but I suspect the simplest solution will be to find replacement harness sections to replace the damaged sections. I recently had to do that to my 240Z. Here is the thread:

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19793

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

Dave, the MO is in the mail for one headlight and one parking light harness. I can't wait to see the quality of your work. It will probably be a while before I do the actual install as I have a lot of other things to complete first, but I wanted to purhcase a set while I had the money and before you changed your mind about making the headlight harness.
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

You'll be happy Enigma! His quality is higher than anything you may buy from just about anybody. Very impressive.

Install with confidence!!!
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-3591

Installed my headlight harness today...what a snap, and WOW my Hellas are bright.....great job Dave
    Russell A. Buckwalter
    SFC US Army
    Aviation

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Thanks man, I'm glad your happy with 'em. It's been a busy week but if any of you are waiting for your harness, please be patient.

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

Enigma--you said:

It will probably be a while before I do the actual install as I have a lot of other things to complete first

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Unless your car is torn apart, I'd install it first thing...it's very quick and easy to install. Use dialetic grease on connections (and I used black electrical tape to seal the outside of each connection as well) but beyond that, it's about a 15 minute upgrade, very fast.

I waited a few days, and I really should've done it the day I got it.

Just my .02 dollars.
    Last edited by dogma420; 04-06-2006 at 04:53 AM.
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

Quote Originally Posted by dogma420
    Enigma--you said:

It will probably be a while before I do the actual install as I have a lot of other things to complete first

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Unless your car is torn apart, I'd install it first thing...it's very quick and easy to install. Use dialetic grease on connections (and I used black electrical tape to seal the outside of each connection as well) but beyond that, it's about a 15 minute upgrade, very fast.

I waited a few days, and I really should've done it the day I got it.

Just my .02 dollars.

Yes, it's torn apart. I have to devote my time to finishing with the suspension refresh and getting this thing back on the road so I can drive it. I'm going nutz! I bought it back in October, drove it 4 times, and then tore out the suspension for complete refinishing and replacement of the struts, spring and bushings. I had hoped to be done by Christmas but work, rain, and family commitments have caused significant delays. At this point my target date for finishing up is somewhere between May 1st-15th. Everything is stripped, treated and painted. Now I just need to put it all back together, lube it all up, and then start on the brake system rebuild(calipers, wheel cylinders, and master cly.) Oh yeah, and get all the fasteners, cataloged and sent off to the plater..........
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

Thread Information