Thread: only 1 set of 240Z LED Tail lights for sale!!

240Z Elec. Upgrade guy Zs-ondabrain's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Default only 1 set of 240Z LED Tail lights for sale!!

I have made only one set of 240Z LED tail lights for the sole purpose of selling on this site only. If you have seen my "posi burn out" video and noticed them there or even seen my gallery, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Here's what the lucky winner will get...

One set of 240Z tail lights (Left & Right) They have been torn apart, cleaned, polished, refitted with Super Brite L.E.D.'s (14,000 mcd) and wired to run the same as most tail lights are (parking lights on upper half and brake lights are both upper and lower sections.

I polished the plastic as best as I could. I removed the inner reflective plates and reworked one of them for each of the Reverse lights. they're much brighter now.

The parking lights consist of 12 red LED's
    The brake lights are all 50 LED's
    The upper plate has 32 and the lower plate has 18 led's

I polished the chrome and repainted the inner black of the center trim pieces.
    I also inserted new felt into the lower drain holes. There is one screw in the middle of the center trim but it's barely noticable. This was neccesary because it's nearly impossible to seperate the two halves withouth snapping the center holding pin. The small screw is much stronger than the original plactic piece anyways.

I have put a lot of thought and hard work into these, not only because it's what I do, but because I know that a few of you had stated your interest in a set. I did a better job on this set than the ones that I put into my own car.

I am asking for $225 and a decent set of tail lights in return (a kinda core charge-so I can build another set in the near future.)

Keep in mind that these are (100,000 hour LED's) This means that they can stay on for over 11 years straight (24/7) 365 days a year for 11.41? years. That means that they'll probably outlast the car.

For a better idea of how they look, check out My gallery

Or check out the posi-burn out video, even in the daylight, they are brite enough to easily be seen through the smoke.

Or the video I made just for this thread LED taillight video on "putfile.com" it takes a little while to load up but at least you'll see what I mean.

E-mail me and I'll get back to the first person who can get the Money order and spare lights into the mail first.

I WILL make more at a later date but I'd like to see how this sale goes first.
    And remember that the lights you send me will most likely be rebuilt for the next set I make, so make sure they are at least rebuildable for the next guy.

Thanks for reading,
    Dave.
    Rate my Z at Car Domain.com
    My 70' 240Z, Daily Driver

My Parking Light and Headlight Upgrade Harness's at MotorSport Auto
    HLH - PLH - SCP - ZXP's at MSA *They accept PayPal!!*
    Headlight Upgrade Harness info here at ClassicZCar Club
    HLH info at CZCC Do a search for info on the other upgrades I offer.

Member ID
    CZCC-7395

Will these fit a really early Z without mods ? Are these '' plug and play " ?
    I'm interested, can you pm me ?

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

P.M. sent and yes. they are out of a 71 240Z and as far as I know, they will fit all 240Z's.

The only thing different about these tail lights is the internal light source.
    The other thing that I forgot to mention earlier is the fact that they will probably have only 1/4 of the current draw that the regular bulb lit tail lights have.

I have been offered cash on the spot by some local Z owners, but told them that the next set I make is for the guys at classicZcars.

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I don't know where the split is, but the taillight harness connectors are different between early and late 240Zs. I know because the wiring that came with my spare set of taillights (out of a '73) is different than what is in my early '71 (10/70). The early car uses the full-size 1/4" blade terminals, the '73 lights use the small mini-blades. I also noted that in the '73 wiring, the inner top bulb in the red is only wired as a tail light, not as a brake/turn. This is different from my Series I where all three bulbs in the red are used as brake/turn, and both upper bulbs are used as tail lights as well.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Very true, but the housings are identical. The only change is in the light socket wiring.

I think.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

The actual connectors and terminals from the socket wiring to the rear harness are different as well. Not interchangeable, I'm sorry to say.

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

Default Lightning Strikes!!!

Whom ever buys these lights WILL NOT BE DISSATISFIED! i've seen them first hand...bright.....very bright,and they look cool too.Hay dave my birthday is coming up. [in december ]..

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

DUH. I did'nt forget this year did I? nope!

I just got done explaining to someone that I am ONLY selling the reworked housings that have the LED's inside them. There is no harness other than the one you already have in your Zcar.

After installing the new housings,
    You only need to "T"-tap 3 wires on each side (ground (black), parking light wire(green/white) and the brake light wire (solid Green) then connect the wires to the t-taps. remove the 3 brake and parking light bulbs on each side, clean the reverse light and re-insert all the sockets to cover up the holes.

Thats it and thats all
    Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Ahhh! So you are reusing the existing bulb harness that is in the car! Then the differences I was talking about are immaterial. Your LED housings will in fact work in any year 240Z.

Member ID
    CZCC-7395

Not trying to flame you, can you then explain the cost of $225.00 ?
    And that's with a ''core'' exchange ?
    Holy crap , am I missing something ?

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-5874

i'm not meaning to flame either of you..........

I've seen sets of 240Z taillight housing/lens that have just been polished up go for around $400 on ebay.

these have a one or two of a kind (so far) upgrade to the l.e.d.'s imagine that dave spent a lot of time to carefully disassemble, clean etc the "cores" and then design and build the upgrade into them, then polish and re-assemble.

Additionally, with LED's instead of incandescent bulbs burning, the current draw through the T/S switch will probably drop quite a bit, thus it will most likely last a lot longer.

probably a lot of time and effort invested in them & can't make more without cores to start with. JMO
    Last edited by montoya_fan01; 03-24-2006 at 12:07 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-6441

Thumbs up Very impressive!

The Putfile video shows 'em off well. Labour intensive upgrade as far as building the lights go I'd imagine. Sooo much faster and brighter than your standard incandecant globes. I've built these as an extra (centre) brake light in years gone by, but seeing that, I might have a go at doing the same for the Skyline, particularly the indicators, as the C10 has no amber flash, simply flashes the brakes on one side or t'other!...nearly come to grief because of it too.
    Nice job!

Jim.
    Regards,
    Jim.

1972 Skyline GT-X (GT-R copy)KGC10

Prince & Skyline spoken here

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by Unkle
    Not trying to flame you, can you then explain the cost of $225.00 ?
    And that's with a ''core'' exchange ?
    Holy crap , am I missing something ?
    Easily,
    1) My experience and knowledge of the 12 volt field along with Datsun's need for constant attention in the area of electrical and Lighting issues Makes me some what of an authority in this area.

2) By reading ANY of the replies reguarding my products for the 240Z, you'll find that I don't "skimp" in the area of Quality Workmanship. My harness's and other Zcar products are a direct reflection of my own need to "do it right the first time" as well as customer satisfaction.

3) I am always in constant contact with customers and suppliers, trying to find a "better way" or better price. This is the only thing I really do. I make Headlight and Parking light Upgrade harness's, ZX adaptor Plugs, LED tail lights, LED side markers, custom spare tire well Sub-woofer enclosures and Custom Kick panel enclosures for speakers. I work at home and If the bills don't get paid, I don't Have a home to work out of.

4) The L.E.D. Tail lights and side markers will most likely last longer than the car itself. They severely reduce the current flow through the fuse box and combo switches, as well as the 33 year old wiring. And we all know how expensive those 3 items can get. The brightness of the LED tail lights will most likely allow you to finally be seen as well as call B.S. on the drunk who hits your rearend then says "hey man, I did'nt see your brake lights"

5) Without the core exchange, I would not likely be able to keep up with reguests if I decide to make them full time. Every tail light assembly has to be torn apart, cleaned, polished, painted, fitted with the LED's that I custom make panels for, refurbished and updated the best I can with a 33+ year old peice, and then finally be put back together, tested, and shipped.

The ultimate question here is.. "What is YOUR time and hard labor worth to you?" Every time I put a price on new a product, people almost immediately write or E-mail me and ask me why I'm short changing myself.

One other thing, once these are in, you'll not only have brighter, less current consuming lights, but also brighter reverse lights as well.

Sincerely, not flamed nor disrespected,

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I know how much I spent making a set similar to these, and in terms of time alone, these are a bargan.
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-3591

Dave,
    Check your PM
    Russell A. Buckwalter
    SFC US Army
    Aviation

She now lives on a showroom floor.....I WILL BUILD ANOTHER ONE

If Nissan Motorsports is NISMO, is Honda Motorsports HOMO?

Member ID
    CZCC-7395

You've now fully explained what's involved - I was STILL not sure if
    you supplied the actual red lenses , or just the plug in lights . The
    description got convoluted in my brain I think . Please give me the
    mailing particulars . Also, a stand alone ebay style pic would have
    nipped this whole 'half flame' in the bud , no ? Do you take paypal ?
    Regards, dummy from up North.

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

Default Hot Headed Lights!

The first set of lights took dave about a month to complete [maybe longer].
    tear down,cleaning,inspecting and reassembly.is one thing I know dave is good at [beleave me].when I want somthing done [that he does] for myself or one of my Z car customers I CAN COUNT ON DAVE TO DO MORE THAN HIS BEST.I've never had a dissatisfied cusomer from any of daves work.he has proven time and time again to be the best at what he does.he takes his time and does his projects/work right.That in itself is reason enough for daves high[but low] cost for his products.not that anybody was questioning it.

JZM..
    Last edited by JZM; 03-24-2006 at 09:28 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4

Quote Originally Posted by Unkle
    Not trying to flame you, can you then explain the cost of $225.00 ? And that's with a ''core'' exchange ? Holy crap , am I missing something ?
    Yea, it's called profit. I'm sure he doesn't want to take a loss on these. Have you seen the cost of tail-lights like these for the 350z ? At least twice that.
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4

This is an excellent idea. Can you post some pictures of the internal components? I'd like to see how you put this together.
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Here's a few pics I took while making this set.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Heres some before pics
    The second picture in of the inner casing is BEFORE the work was done.
    I remove the reflector plates and rework one of them for the reverse light to make it even brighter than stock. There's nothing worse than NOT knowing whats behind you when you're backing up.

Truthfully, I wish I had done that to the first set I built.

The rest of the finished product can be seen in the links on the first post of this thread.
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 03-24-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

The person that I thought was going to buy them, had an emergency come up and no longer can buy them

THEY ARE STILL FOR SALE AT $225 PLUS YOUR TAIL LIGHTS (cores)!! I DON'T NEED THE HARNESS, YOU NEED THEM FOR THE INSTAL.

Please contact me with questions. I can even get your tail light assemblies AFTER you put in these new LED tail lights.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-2300

Hi Dave, if I sent you a pair of 260 lenses, could you make me up a set like the 240 lenses?

thanks - joel
    ~joel

True OEM HID Retrofit

Click for^^ rb26dettZ pics

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I could, but it'll take a while. I have to order the LED's from Hong Kong, and that takes two weeks to get here (Marysville, WA)

If you don't mind waiting for about 3 weeks after I finally get the taillights from ya. Same price though. It's a lot of work.

Just sticky note what you want as brakes and where you want the parking lights, before you send them and the Money Order.

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

^^ Your project really intrigues me. I'm a mechanical engineering major, and I don't yet have the knowledge to fabricate such a cool piece, but next year I will be taking circuits, and I'll know how you made them hehe.

I like the way they look, the only thing left I think is some sort of lens which diffuses all the light into a more uniform pattern before being seen through the tail lens.

Other than that.....what a fine looking tailight!

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Any takers?

These will most likely out last your car or even you for that matter, They're brighter, cleaner and consume 80% less power thru the fusebox and switches.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

So after all the camotion about people wanting LED tail lights that look stock, use a lot less power, and are brighter than stock, Not 1 person here is interested????

I guess I'll just bring them to MSA and sell them there. Once someone sees them in action, they'll be all over it for $225

I just figured that some one here wanted to have them in their Z before they went to the MSA event.

Last chance guys,

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Any takers? I built them for you guys, whats up?

If they don't sell before MSA, I'll bring them with me to the event, I know someone there will snag 'em up.

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

One concern I have is the quality of the lenses themselves (not your work). If mine are nicer than yours I'd be taking a step backwards. If not, the next guy will be. I couldn't really tell from your pictures how they look. As you know, most 240Z tail lights degrade over time, mainly on the left side above the exhaust. The "chrome" plated plastic part tends to get eaten away. I replaced my left side with a used unit that was in better shape than my original but I'd like something even better. I've seen people talking about repro lenses but those don't seem to come with the above-mentioned plastic part.
    -Mike
    Add your Z to my online spreadsheet registry

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

The lenses were torn apart, WET-SANDED with 1000 grit, polished w/ plastic polish. The chrome trim was the best of all that I had to choose from. They have minimal deteriation like you commonly see on the left side tail light.

The chrome was buffed out, the inner part was repainted the stock black, and the tabs were drilled out and tapped for screws instead of rusty holding clips.

I would Proudly put these on my own Z in a heartbeat, if I did'nt already have a set. After being told by more than 10 members that they wanted a set, and whatever price I chose would still be a great deal, I made a set. Just for one of those 10 people. Now everybody is being sceptical about it.

What's not to like, They're brighter, more power efficiant, the reverse light is even brighter and the lenses have been polished to a like new appearance.

I'll just take them to the MSA event, and there they will sell in a flash. I just figured that someone here would want first crack at 'em.

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

If I had a modified/moderized Z, I'd probably scoop these up. I'm just not sure how they would look on a stock/classic looking Z, or if I'd like that look. I bet they would sell very quickly over on hybridz.org.
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

My name is Adam and I'm a Zeeoholic!

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

At least Zs-ondabrain's units are better suited to the Z than these.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?...1#reply_647213

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Quote Originally Posted by Zs-ondabrain
    I would Proudly put these on my own Z in a heartbeat, if I did'nt already have a set. After being told by more than 10 members that they wanted a set, and whatever price I chose would still be a great deal, I made a set.
    I didn't mean to sound skeptical. In fact, now that you've described them more clearly I think I'd like them. However, I'd also like to make sure that my set is good enough for you in return. If you're interested I can take some pictures and send them to you.
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Yeah, that's one of the issues that I have - I know for a fact that none of the 4 taillights I have are good enough for Dave to reuse for the next set.

That plus the fact that I still have LOTS of things to spend money on that are much more critical than LED lights.

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-5874

Quote Originally Posted by moonpup
    At least Zs-ondabrain's units are better suited to the Z than these.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?...1#reply_647213
    IMO, Fit and finish of those (from Zcar.com) look good, but IMO the style still reeks of Homebuilt D.I.Y. and is quite unattractive.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW
    I didn't mean to sound skeptical. In fact, now that you've described them more clearly I think I'd like them. However, I'd also like to make sure that my set is good enough for you in return. If you're interested I can take some pictures and send them to you.
    Just the opposite Mike, I trust that you'll send a decent pair. If I was a customer of mine, I'd be picky as all hell. Thats how I run this home based business, by only making and selling things that even I would consider buying.

The chrome is NOT perfect but it did shine up pretty good. Besides, you'll be so blind from looking at the new lights that you won't be able to notice any imperfections in the chrome.

Mike, are you going to the MSA event? If you are, I can sell them to you then. After you get a good look at them. If that works better for ya, let me know.

If you think that your best chrome trim is better than whats on the LED lights, I can instal your trim onto the new lights, if that works for ya. I'm all about Customer satisfaction and making the customer happy with his/her purchase.

Send me your best set of lights with trim and the money order , I'll determine the best of each assembly and send you the final product. I need some extra cash due to gas prices, so I'll do what ever it takes to make it worth your while. If I don't take a vacation real soon, I'm apt to lose my mind.

Let me know,
    Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-8422

Does this cause any problem with the flasher relay(or whatever it is called)? I have heard that when switching to LED tail lights you need to run an electronic flasher relay so that you blinkers will still blink. By electronic I mean one that has a power lead going to it.
    73 240Z
    78 CB750F

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Mike, are you going to the MSA event? If you are, I can sell them to you then. After you get a good look at them. If that works better for ya, let me know.

If you think that your best chrome trim is better than whats on the LED lights, I can instal your trim onto the new lights, if that works for ya. I'm all about Customer satisfaction and making the customer happy with his/her purchase.

Send me your best set of lights with trim and the money order , I'll determine the best of each assembly and send you the final product.
    No, I'm not going to the MSA event. I am, however, planning on going to the Walter Mitty event at Road Atlanta which is the same weekend (two weeks from today, in fact). Unfortunately I only have the pair of lights that are currently on the car so I can't go without for very long and certainly need them for the event. It would work better for me if I sent you a money order, you sent me the lights, and then I sent you mine as soon as yours arrived. That way if there's a delay in the mail I not out of luck for the event. Let me know either here or via PM what you think.
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I still have the original stock flasher in the Z. I also have L.E.D. sidemarkers as well as the LED tail lights. Every thing still works like normal.

I truthfully thought the same as you (VaGuS510) when it came to the flasher and was more than ready to swap the flash unit, but so far it has not been neccesary. Most likely because of the front bulbs still being there. I'm guessing that the bulbs give just the right amount of resistance to keep the stock flasher working correctly.

Mike, P.M. sent, but you probably already knew that.
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 04-15-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8422

good point i forgot about the front lights
    73 240Z
    78 CB750F

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I finally got my LED's in from Hong Kong. I am ready for orders if any one is interestedin having LED tail lights like Me and MikeW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MikeWs LEDTaillights.jpg 
Views:	2232 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	12432  
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 05-22-2006 at 10:16 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2300

Quote Originally Posted by 74260zt
    Hi Dave, if I sent you a pair of 260 lenses, could you make me up a set like the 240 lenses?

thanks - joel
    I could, but it'll take a while. I have to order the LED's from Hong Kong, and that takes two weeks to get here (Marysville, WA)

If you don't mind waiting for about 3 weeks after I finally get the taillights from ya. Same price though. It's a lot of work.

Just sticky note what you want as brakes and where you want the parking lights, before you send them and the Money Order.

Dave.

Dave, I'm ready to send you a set of Euro Spec 76 280z housings. Can you hook me up now that you have the bits...?
    ~joel

True OEM HID Retrofit

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I have yet to find the AMBER LED's that the Euro-spec lights require. If you want to send the tail lightsand the check to me, I can start looking a lot harder. Having them on the shelf gives me a lot more MOTIVATION to get my ass in gear and get them back out the door. Money helps the process also.

I have been buying parts using my own money but that will only go so far if I don't get orders. You know what I mean.

E'mail me with the order so I can put the order into the correct file. It helps me with specifics when it comes to building. (ie: address, style (U.S. or Euro), year, brake and parking light locations per customer. etc. etc.)

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-2300

Don't OEM use white bulbs in them anyway? What, would the white LEDs wash out the lens color or sumthin? Just asking...
    ~joel

True OEM HID Retrofit

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

The pure white LED's Do wash out the color and look like ass. Because the LED's are so brite, they dominate the color and thats why I use the same color as the lense itself. I tried using the white ones and hated it.

I'll start looking harder. I ordered 50 AMBER (4K mcd) and they liked to flicker and blow up. For some reason, the 14 to 18K mcd LED's work much better and are much brighter. I ordered the amber ones for my front markers and turn signals and never got to finish them because of the meltdown problem.

If I don't like the results, I sure as hell won't sell them to the public with my name (reputation) on the line. I'm funny that way.

Member ID
    CZCC-2300

OK, I will email you to discuss further when I get home... thank you - joel
    ~joel

True OEM HID Retrofit

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I am in the process of building up the 70' Z for a car show but I'll try to check my E-mail every once in a while.

Member ID
    CZCC-2300

Dave, can you please give me a clue as to when I can expect to get back my tail lights finished from you.... I'n in need of them asap...

Thank You buddy... - joel
    ~joel

True OEM HID Retrofit

Member ID
    CZCC-2300

Bump.... still waiting
    ~joel

True OEM HID Retrofit

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Bump.... still waiting
    Most likely tomorrow, I got the LED's in today and started assembling the plates. I'm not ignoring you, I promiss. It's been real busy around here and Trust me when I say that your e-mail is only 1 of about 50 that I've had to respond to.

I need to finish soldering them and they're out the door. I am truly sorry for the loooooong delay but I order my LED's from www.besthongkong.com and they decided to take their sweet fricken time about getting my order to me. (about 1 month)

Look for them in the mail soon. I ship USPS Express Mail. 2-3 day and they're going out on thur.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

David, would you mind sending me the rest of my tail light parts. You removed the metal reflectors from the reverse lights, and I'm now missing one of my reverse light bulb sockets also. The whole socket is missing, and was just cut off leaving the two wires just dangling there.... whats up with that?

I can't believe I send you a perfect pair of housings, with all the sockets/ wires in great cond., then I get this back in return. By the reflectors missing out of the reverse lights, tells me what I thought... you just didn't complete the job by not doing the reverse lights also with LEDs, but left out the reflectors.

So now, I'm left to repair my housings back to the way the were when you got them... but I can't because you did not return the parts you removed.
    Please send me the parts.

Joel.

Are you mental or something? YOU CUT the reverse light socket off, not me. I NEVER removed ANY reflectors nor did I cut your wires. As a matter of fact, both me AND my wife were wondering why YOU would cut off the socket to a bulb housing that normally gets refurbished.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to blame me for your shortcomings when the ONLY thing that you paid me to do was make L.E.D. plates for your 260Z tail light housings.
    I Made the plates, loaded them with LED's, Mounted them and even threw in the bulb adaptors that I Normally charge more for. You're welcome. I'd be happy to send you a socket and some reflective plates for a 260Z IF I had some around, but I don't!!

This is the part of the letter where I would normally thank you for your business, but after your beautiful letter, you can bite me.

I don't know where you got the housings, but I would start looking there for your missing items.

Dave.

P.S.
    Ask any one who has recieved tail lights or harness's from me, I DON'T **** up orders. I FIX THEM!! I IMPROVE ON THEM!! I DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO MAKE MY CUSTOMERS HAPPY!

Next time you order a repair or ANY upgrade from ANYONE, TAKE PICTURES FIRST. Not only will it help prove your case, but you'll also see exactly what the improvement was.

Have a nice day,
    Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

Oh my........ This doesn't sound like something Dave is even capable of. To date, I have been more then happy with every aspect of his workmanship as well as his dedication to customer service. I'm sure you guys will get it figured out.
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by =Enigma=
    Oh my........ This doesn't sound like something Dave is even capable of. To date, I have been more then happy with every aspect of his workmanship as well as his dedication to customer service. I'm sure you guys will get it figured out.
    I'd love to post the next letter I just got from him but the software on here would "bleep out" all the language.

Here is the picture he sent me before the taillights were sent. It clearly shows NO reflector in the reverse light housing.

In the second picture of the finished housing. you'll also see that the reflector is STILL not there.

Who's full of crap now? Thanks =Enigma=

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-2300

My first email to you wasn't all that out of line. All you had to do was email me back with a reply that I was mistaken, but NO... you had to ratch it up a bit and piss me off to where I said things I should'n have.

After me walking out to my shop, I discovered I was the A$$ for sending that email before looking.. I was mistaken.

Now can we leave this as is, or keep on with it? I was wrong, you were right.
    ~joel

True OEM HID Retrofit

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

My first email to you wasn't all that out of line. All you had to do was email me back with a reply that I was mistaken, but NO... you had to ratch it up a bit and piss me off to where I said things I should'n have.

After me walking out to my shop, I discovered I was the A$$ for sending that email before looking.. I was mistaken.

Now can we leave this as is, or keep on with it? I was wrong, you were right.
    NO problem Joel, I'm glad we cleared this up. I accept and please read the next E-mail That I just sent you.

Sincerely,
    Dave.

P.S.
    Enigma was right again, how does he do it?

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

See, I knew you guys would work it out. Now hug and make nice k?
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

Member ID
    CZCC-2300

Question

Hi Dave, lights look great. I finally got to putting them on the car after all this time (due to a complete RB motor swap) and I have a question I hope you or any one can help me with...

I plugged the lighting harness into each, right and left tail lights, but all I get is a real dim display of the rear lights.
    They barely can be seen, and have a very slight flicker to them. The running lights do the same as the brake lights.

When I look at all the other lights (side marker lights) they are bright as can be... There is only one way the rear tail lights can be plugged into the harness, so I'm stumped as to what would be causing just the rear pair of lights to be extremely dim, and flickering.... any ideas please?

thanks again - joel
    ~joel

True OEM HID Retrofit

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I got an idea of what the problem is. Just remember that the 260Z did'nt have that much better wiring than the 240Z.. At the present time, you can have 12-13 volts in the battery with the car not running, but by the time that power goes thru all the old wiring, fusebox, switches and connectors, You've had a few volts drop off the circuit.

Incandescent bulbs (stock glass filiment) use what ever power there is to light themselves.

LED's use only the power given to them, if the set-up that I built for you does not get at least a good solid 12 volts, they will look weak.

Solution,
    When the car is running at an idle or higher, the LED's will light up like a Chrismas tree on crack. I wired them the same as all the taillights that I convert. They can see as much as 15 volts before you harm them. I did that on purpose to keep them from blowing up and you having to send them back for a repair.

So what I need to know is........

1) how many volts is your battery putting out while the car is NOT running?

2) unplug the tail lights and measure the voltage going to the taillights at that plug. You should find a significant drop. Don't worry, it's typical of almost all Z cars.

3) start the car and run the same tests again. you'll find the voltage higher.

4) plug the lights back in and start the car. when the engine is off the idle, the lights should get pretty brite.

Let me know the results as soon as you get them,

Dave.
    P.S. you can test the tail lights by hard wiring them to the battery directly.
    Black is ground, red is brakes, and white is parking lights.

E-mail me for some other info you'll need. wolfin32z@yahoo.com

Member ID
    CZCC-2300

Thanks Dave.... I'll give my wiring a good going over tomorrow.

thanks again - joel
    ~joel

True OEM HID Retrofit

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Just a quick update to all who are interested..

I Still do the LED Tail Light Conversion for ALL 240Z's. The conversion is still $250. You send me your 240Z taillights and I convert them to LED. They are brighter, use less than 1/4 of the amperage and bring your Z into the 21st Century.

I have 3 HLH's (headlight upgrade harness's) for the 240Z, in stock and ready to be shipped.

The HLH's are still $125 and are universal for ALL 240Z's

The PLH's (parking light upgrade harness) Are now $40. My supplier doubled the price of my supplies. They work on all 240Z's UP TO 3/73'

The ZXP's (280ZX alternator adaptor plug) are still $15 each and work on all 240Z's

I also do the Combo/Turn signal Switch service. For $40, you send me your Combo and T/S switches and I rebuild them as a set. I clean up each switch, clean the contacts, fix any wiring issues, regrease them and send them back. ($75 for 2 sets)

I STILL don't take PayPal but I do take Money Orders, Casheirs Checks and Cash. Email me for shipping and Payment info at wolfin32z@yahoo.com

Dave.
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 06-17-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20776

Hi Dave. This is an old thread. Are you still making the LED's? I'd be interested in them for my '77 280Z.

Thanks!
    Jim

1977 280Z HLS30 371558 production date 1/77

Member ID
    CZCC-15469

He still is. You should check out his thread My 260Z build (Brake upgrades and mods) for updated pics.
    ***PREVIOUSLY OWNED***
    1970 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-01704
    71,000 Original Miles

- Jon

Member ID
    CZCC-20776

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyRock View Post
    He still is. You should check out his thread My 260Z build (Brake upgrades and mods) for updated pics.
    Thanks Jon. Looks like Dave has his hands FULL.
    Jim

1977 280Z HLS30 371558 production date 1/77

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Yup, Jonny's right. Still doing the LED Taillight conversions. $275 for the 240Z's and $300 for the 260Z's and 280Z's. Prices did go up a little because the LED's I use are pricey and shipping keeps being bumped up by the post office and everyone else.

If, after seeing the price, you're still interested, email me at wolfin32z@yahoo.com

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I was told by many folks here to keep this up to date.

Still selling the Headlight and parking light upgrade harnesses thru MSA.
    Still selling the ZX alternator upgrade plug and Sidemarker conversion plugs thru MSA

Still personally doing the LED taillight, front marker and sidemarker conversions, personally. $80 for the sidemarker inserts, $125 for the front marker light conversion and $275 for the 240Z taillight conversion. ($300 for the 260 and 280Z taillights.

Thanks again to all my current and past customers and a big welcome to new customers in the new year.

Happy New Year everyone,
    Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-26258

Have you ever thought of casting clear tails it would probably jack the price up to high but its just a thought I'm building a silver Z and have been bouncing around the idea of having everything clear with LED's. We would probably have to cast them ourselves or have it done then send it to you right.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Exactly, I only convert complete units. I wish I could find a set of All Clear lenses. That would be sweet. Or even a slight tint would be great too.

Member ID
    CZCC-26258

The more I think about it the more I want to try it I stumbled across this site searching http://www.alumilite.com/howtos/Tail...gEquipment.cfm. It looks pretty straight forward I've never casted before but I'm down for a challenge
    Last edited by JGREEZY; 09-29-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

The molds are easy-they are no problem-The resins they use all(even the water clear chalks up, it gradually grays but did not yellow in my testing) suffer badly from UV damage. Between yellowing and chalking up with prolonged exterior use. I tried all of the readily available resins from 11 manufacturers(not re-marketers)-not one made it through one Savannah summer unscathed-for a trailer queen that sees sunlight only on rare occasion, or for parts that are swapped in for shows and swapped out afterward those are good answers, for a driver their long term stability leaves much to be desired. There is a reason most current replacement headlight covers can be had for $50 a pair or so-they are considered disposable because of their materials, three years and they are having undeniable issues and that is with the high grade stuff Manufacturers use-the stuff available to us is not nearly as good. My though in not producing them was that people would expect a longer life from an expensive new set of lights-I know I would.
    Will
    Last edited by hls30.com; 09-29-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-26258

That's a great point I did'nt think of that I'm glad I asked around first before making the investment on materials. Thanx for your input. I am however interested in your LED treatment once I get my Z back

Thread Information