Thread: What do Original 240Z Wheels Look Like?

Default What do Original 240Z Wheels Look Like?

I have tried to search for original 240Z wheels to get an idea of what they look like. I have not really found any information that lists this with pictures, names or descriptions. I have seen some of the cars that have hubcaps with a D in them and others with what looks like a four spoke wheel (no hubcaps). What was standard (or at least a factory upgrade) on a '70 240Z? Did it change for '71 or '72?

If I buy a '70 - '71 car that does not have the original wheels, can these be purchased? If so, what do they usually cost?

Thanks,

James

Member ID
    CZCC-5338
    Blog Entries

Their where several different wheel styles
    HLS30-217804 6/75 "The Unnatural One"

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

As far as I know they all came with narrow steel wheels and hubcaps. The early hubcaps had the D as you mention. The later hubcaps had a Z emblem in the center. An eBay search for "240Z hubcaps" shows three sets there right now.

Most of the original wheels were replaced, often at the dealer before the car was even sold. Slotted "Mag" wheels were popular at the time. The fact that so many of the original wheels and hubcaps were tossed out is what is causing people to pay high prices for originals in good condition.
    -Mike
    Add your Z to my online spreadsheet registry

Thanks guys, but does anyone have any specific pictues that shows what was really sold by Datsun/dealer at the time?

Member ID
    CZCC-5338
    Blog Entries

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-5338
    Blog Entries

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-8401

if ur lookin for slotted mags i have a set of 4 in nice shape. can be viewed in my photo gallery.

240Z Elec. Upgrade guy Zs-ondabrain's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I have 5 Z hubcaps that need a little TLC. Debating on selling

not sure
    Rate my Z at Car Domain.com
    My 70' 240Z, Daily Driver

My Parking Light and Headlight Upgrade Harness's at MotorSport Auto
    HLH - PLH - SCP - ZXP's at MSA *They accept PayPal!!*
    Headlight Upgrade Harness info here at ClassicZCar Club
    HLH info at CZCC Do a search for info on the other upgrades I offer.

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Standard wheel and standard D hubcap for American imports up to around 7/71
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	11910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dhubacps.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	11911  
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

And to clarify, here in the US at least, there was no such thing as a "factory" mag wheel option for a 240Z. There were lots of dealer installed mags, but none were offered or approved by the factory, and every dealer had different choices, depending on what they could get the best buy on.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by cloudbaseracer
    I have tried to search for original 240Z wheels to get an idea of what they look like. I have not really found any information that lists this with pictures, names or descriptions. I have seen some of the cars that have hubcaps with a D in them and others with what looks like a four spoke wheel (no hubcaps). What was standard (or at least a factory upgrade) on a '70 240Z? Did it change for '71 or '72?

If I buy a '70 - '71 car that does not have the original wheels, can these be purchased? If so, what do they usually cost?

Thanks,

James
    Hi James:

I'd put it this way... All regular production 240-Z's shipped to North America were equipped with steel wheels and hubcaps. The 70/71 Model Year Z's had 4.5" x 14" steel wheels with the "D" hubcaps and the 72/73 Model Year Z's had 5"x14" steel wheels with the "Z" hubcaps.

See: The Z Car Home Page: http://zhome.com/Classic/Restore/HubCaps.htm

So to answer your question - they (wheels and hubcaps) changed at the 72 Model Year.

However as an interesting side note: - a 5.5"x14" Steel Road Wheel was FMVSS Approved prior to 2 June 1970 for sale by Nissan Motors USA, in the U.S. Part Number 40300-E4600. (priced at $16.20 each). So far, we haven't found anyone that did order them, and receive them. (but I'll bet there is at least one person out there somewhere that did..).

There was also a 5.5"x14" aluminum Road Wheel listed in the early Parts Catalogs, but not FMVSS approved and if put on order - they would always be back-ordered...I tried every year for several years to order a set though our Parts Dept., ... but no luck.

Cost?... depends on the level of perfection you are willing to pay for. In general - a NOS set of "D" hubcaps are now in the $1200.00 to $1400.00 price range. Excellent used... about $175.00 to $200.00 each. Well used - but restorable (not rusted to death and beat up) are usually at least $100.00 each.

The "Z" hubcaps for the 72/73 Z's run about $150.00 each for a set of 4 ($600.00).. used but excellent condition they are around $95.00 to $115.00 each. Of course "restorable" examples are always far less...

Steel wheels - depends on the condition and date stamps. Used 1969 production steel wheels can be $100.00 to $150.00 each (and sometimes you can buy them for ten bucks). The 5" wheels are in the $50.00 to $75.00 range if they are in excellent condition.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Clearwater, FL USA
    http://ZHome.com

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck
    However as an interesting side note: - a 5.5"x14" Steel Road Wheel was FMVSS Approved prior to 2 June 1970 for sale by Nissan Motors USA, in the U.S. Part Number 40300-E4600. (priced at $16.20 each). So far, we haven't found anyone that did order them, and receive them. (but I'll bet there is at least one person out there somewhere that did..).
    See the attached scan from the Road & Track comparison test of the 240Z, MGB GT, Opel GT and Triumph GT6. (About May, 1970, I think. Corrected issue to July '71.)

Name:	Picture 1.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	11920  
    Last edited by Arne; 04-17-2006 at 11:31 AM.

The mags that Fun-In-My-Z has shown look totally different than the ones that 26th-Z has pictured. Are the black ones what you are referring to as the "factory steel" and the Fun-In-My-Z just a dealer installed option?

Thanks,

James

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-5874

Quote Originally Posted by cloudbaseracer
    The mags that Fun-In-My-Z has shown look totally different than the ones that 26th-Z has pictured. Are the black ones what you are referring to as the "factory steel" and the Fun-In-My-Z just a dealer installed option?

Thanks,

James

"Fun In My Z" posted a link to a picture of a car with the black steel wheels which are hidden behind the Hubcaps that you see in that picture.

FWIW, the mags (actually aluminum wheels) on the car in the other picture "Fun in my Z" linked to are in fact on "26th Z"'s car. I don't see that "26th Z" posted any pics of mags.
    Last edited by montoya_fan01; 04-17-2006 at 12:17 AM.

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

There was also a 5.5"x14" aluminum Road Wheel listed in the early Parts Catalogs, but not FMVSS approved and if put on order - they would always be back-ordered...I tried every year for several years to order a set though our Parts Dept., ... but no luck.
    FWIW,
    Carl B.
    Carl, do you have a picture of those? I'd be curious to see what they looked like.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

The wheels on 26th in that picture are Japanese spun aluminum 14x6. They were the wheels originally installed by the dealer and they are commonly referred to as "Slots". The black and silver wheel I posted is the orignal steel wheel from 26th. The 'D' hubcaps I posted are actually the later version of the "D" hubcap. Notice on the back, the many closely spaced tabs for gripping the wheel. Earlier versions of this hub cap had less tabs and they were more widely spaced. They had a tendency to fall off.

And one comment about the slang being used: "Mag" is short for magnesium, a common material used for casting wheels - very light weight - and not the best of terms to use for commonly discssing wheels.

Now, the Japanese cars did not get "D" hubcaps because they were not Datsuns. They got this hubcap. The Japanese option wheel originally available was manufacured for Nissan by Kobe Seiko. Here is a racing version in magnesium. You will commonly see this optional wheel style (in aluminum) on the PS30 / Z432.

Name:	HexHubcap.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	11928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KobeSeikoWheel.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	11929  
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-3738

That Kobe Seiko wheel that you posted a picture of Chris, I believe is of an optional wheel for the "street version" Z432. However, I do believe that those were the narrower wheels used on the Works rally cars. Your picture is of the 14 by 6j and it was magnesium. The standard Z432 wheels were 14 by 5.5j, and they looked slightly different than the picture of the one that you posted. (Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that picture is from an old Yahoo Japan auction. I wonder how much they sold for?)

I don't think you would commonly see aluminum Kobe Seiko reproductions on Z's in Japan, but I could be wrong as I have never been there. The aluminum wheels that you are referring to were reproduced by a company I am sure Alan knows of. I am not sure if Kobe Seiko ever made a wheel for the Z's in aluminum.

When I was talking with Matsuo-san, he told me that Kobe Seiko was an outside company that made wheels for Nissan. I wonder what other manufactures' Kobe Seiko made wheels for? Off the top of my head, I know of quite a few wheels that Kobe Seiko made for the S30 both on the street and track. Someday I would love to get a set for my car, but I am sure that a nice set of 14 by 7j works wheels would be worth more than my car. "I got a 260z for my Kobe Seiko wheels!" I will keep dreaming. Hahaha. Take care everyone. I really would love to learn more about these wheels and Kobe Seiko's history with Nissan and other companies(?). Maybe we should start a new thread.

Please correct any information that I have posted as I am not an authority on this.
    -Ben
    "A real sports car chooses its owner because it has a soul. If you're chosen, you'll love it, and the more it requires care and maintenance the more you love it." -Mr. Morita (Z432 owner)

RLS30-034436
    305 GP Light Blue

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-5874

Quote Originally Posted by 26th-Z
    The wheels on 26th in that picture are Japanese spun aluminum 14x6.

Really? I didn't know that US Datsun dealers sourced aftermarket "add-on" wheels from Japan. I thought that all of them were sourced locally. (in the USA). Which company made those Japanese spun aluminum wheel shown in the picture Bill posted?

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

The Japanese option wheel originally available was manufacured for Nissan by Kobe Seiko. Here is a racing version in magnesium. You will commonly see this optional wheel style (in aluminum) on the PS30 / Z432.
    Hold on, let's get this straightened up before it gets out of hand. The picture that you posted is of a Kobe Seiko 'Maglloy' wheel - which Kobe Seiko manufactured and sold to the general public as their own design from the mid 1970s. This was essentially the same pattern that they manufactured for Nissan ( used as standard equipment on the Fairlady Z432 ) but with some small detail alterations and some added lettering to differentiate it from the OEM Nissan items.

Kobe Seiko made a number of different wheel designs for Nissan to use on the S30-series Z:

*Original 432 wheel. Cast magnesium. Fixing points for a small centre cap. Also quoted as an 'Option' part for the S30 Fairlady Z-L and S30-S Fairlady Z. Manufacturing date was stamped onto each wheel, as magnesium was recognised as having a limited life expectancy for safe road use. Usually painted dull gunmetal colour.
    ( Chief Designer Yoshihiko Matsuo wanted all models of the S30-series Z to have 4-spoke alloy wheels, but this was overruled for reasons of cost - so only the 432 got them in the end ).

*Works 'Rally Mag' wheel. Cast magnesium. No centre cap fixing points, and 'vented' spoke castings. Manufactured in 6jj x 14 and ( more commonly used ) 7jj x 14. No manufacturing date stamps. Never sold to the general public, and supplied only to Nissan for their 'Works' rally cars. Usually painted dull gunmetal colour.

And then in the mid to late 1970s, after the above wheels were no longer being made for Nissan, Kobe Seiko dusted off the original design and made some modifications. They sold these wheels as:

*Kobe Seiko 'Maglloy' wheel. Cast magnesium ( some also later manufactured in aluminium ) and fully tested / licensed for use on road cars. Clip-on centre caps. Usually painted silver.

Private restoration companies have in the past recreated both the '432' mag and the Works 'Rally Mag' in limited editions ( made from aluminium for longer life ). These pop up from time to time to confuse matters - but the fact that they are aluminium and not magnesium usually indicates their status as replicas.

See pictures below for illustrations of the above three 'types' of Kobe Seiko wheel.

Trivia department: Kobe Seiko were active during the Pacific War years, and manufactured all sorts of castings and forging for the Japanese military. One of their specialities was wheel manufacture, and they made many of the magnesium wheels for Japanese army and navy aircraft - including those on the legendary Mitsubishi A6 'Zero Sen' fighter..........

Alan T.

Name:	KS-PZ mag-1.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	11936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KS Works rally mags-88-1.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	11937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KS Maglloy cm-79-1.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	11938  

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by montoya_fan01
    Really? I didn't know that US Datsun dealers sourced aftermarket "add-on" wheels from Japan. I thought that all of them were sourced locally. (in the USA).
    Maybe they were "sourced" locally ( and from USA-based companies ), but I'll bet that more than half of the wheels sold in the USA by American companies during that period were actually manufactured in Japan - and many of them even designed there too. Japan was a wheel manufacturing powerhouse during that period.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by HS30-H
    Maybe they were "sourced" locally ( and from USA-based companies ), but I'll bet that more than half of the wheels sold in the USA by American companies during that period were actually manufactured in Japan - and many of them even designed there too. Japan was a wheel manufacturing powerhouse during that period.
    No, actually I sold custom wheels for a living during part of the '70s, and imported wheels of any kind were VERY uncommon, and the few imports that were on the market here were almost exclusively expensive and European. As a purchasing agent, I visited most of the bigger name companies' production facilities - all here in the states.

You see, the obvious quality and production efficiencies of the Japanese not withstanding, the Japanese wheel makers couldn't compete in the commodity wheel market, because they were more regulated than the US aftermarket was in those days. The US-based companies were not required (at that time) to do much if any testing. So it was very easy to crank out cheap aluminum wheels at prices the Japanese makers could not compete with. Therefore 99% or more of the custom wheels fitted by either the dealers or by new owners were of US manufacture.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by Arne
    See the attached scan from the Road & Track comparison test of the 240Z, MGB GT, Opel GT and Triumph Spitfire. (About May, 1970, I think.)
    Hi Arne:
    Yieks.. how did I forget that!! Road & Track July of 71.

Now all we have to do is track that car down and see if the wheels are still on it!

thanks,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by Arne
    No, actually I sold custom wheels for a living during part of the '70s, and imported wheels of any kind were VERY uncommon, and the few imports that were on the market here were almost exclusively expensive and European. As a purchasing agent, I visited most of the bigger name companies' production facilities - all here in the states.
    I'm surprised to hear this, Arne.

I grew up in the Sixties and Seventies looking over my dad's shoulder whilst he was reading magazines such as Motor Sport, Autosport and Motoring News, as well as very glamorous 'import' magazines such as 'Hot Rod', 'Popular Hot Rodding' and even 'Hop Up'. There was a period when I would have sold my soul for a set of Halibrands to go on my Thames panel truck ( dreaming that it would become a 'Gasser' ), but a set of Appliance 'dish mags' or Superior 'slot mags' were as close as I could get. I used to go to my local - and not so local - speed shops just to stand open-mouthed and watery-eyed in front of their selection of custom wheels. Many of these were from American companies, but even then I noted that a few of these were wearing 'Made In Japan' stickers on the inside rim....... This was so surprising to me that I made a mental note of it at the time. I also noted that the ones wearing those 'Made In Japan' stickers were often the cheaper designs ( and therefore more likely to be within my reach )......

I even remember ( after later getting into old Porsches and VWs ) that some of the early Empi wheels were made by BRM here in the UK, but were then farmed out to Japanese manufacturers who could make them more cheaply for the USA market.

Do you think it is possible that some of the USA wheel manufacturers were having some of their wheels manufactured ( or part-manufactured ) in Japan, and then finishing / re-packaging them as a 'Made In USA' product? I'm talking about the 1970s here.

The wheel aftermarket in Japan became absolutely HUGE through the mid-Seventies and the Eighties. The array of manufacturers, 'design' and 'character' brands and 'tie-ups' with known brands ( such as March for instance ) was mind boggling. Look through a 1970s Japanese car magazine such as Auto Technic or Car Graphic and you would see what seemed like at least half of the magazine consisting of flashy advertisements for aftermarket wheels.

I find it hard to believe that this did not spill over into the USA market.

Alan T.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01
    Carl, do you have a picture of those? I'd be curious to see what they looked like.

Hi Stephen:
    I don't believe I've ever seen a picture of them.

There is a 5.5"x14" Road Wheel- Aluminium listed in the Parts Catalog as:
    40300-N3225 with a drawing of an aluminium wheel, but that drawing shows cars up through 78...

Maybe Chris can check an earlier copy of the parts catalog and see if it's the same..

FWIW
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by HS30-H
    Do you think it is possible that some of the USA wheel manufacturers were having some of their wheels manufactured ( or part-manufactured ) in Japan, and then finishing / re-packaging them as a 'Made In USA' product? I'm talking about the 1970s here.
    It's certainly possible, Alan. Especially for what we would have called the 'export' market. Because the sad truth is that back then very few US-made wheels were of a quality sufficient to meet the standards and testing that was required in pretty much the rest of the civilized world. So if an American wheel company wanted to sell one of their better wheels that might meet standards overseas, they may have needed additional wheels to fill out the line. After all, if Appliance wanted to sell their dish mag (arguably their best product in the day) in the UK, a UK distrbutor may want a more complete line-up before they'd be willing to devote much floor space to them. So an easy way to get a more complete line into that market would be to private label wheels (many Japanese) that already met the standards.

But for us here in the states, we never saw those private-label imports. All we would get would be the cheap US made stuff.

This started changing in the early '80s, partly due to tighter regulation of the aftermarket wheel industry, but primarily due to a So. Cal distributor called Golden Wheel, who started importing Enkei wheels and marketing them as a higher quality premium wheel. (And they were much higher quality than your typical US-made custom wheel.) It didn't take long for all the big US wheel companies to scramble to offer a similar product, in most cases Japanese imports that were re-labeled here in the states.

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-5874

Appliance, Western, Shelby, Anson, and Cragar were large companies in the USA that manufactured wheels (including 5-slots sized for 240z's) IN the USA, mostly in CA, which was where the the aftermarket wheel industy was centered for a variety of reasons back in the 70's. There may have been others that I don't know of.

I'll take Alan at his word since I know nothing of Japans wheel production capabilities. However, in the decade of the 70's, the USA (also?) became an aluminum wheel producing powerhouse.

The above mentioned companies had manufacturing plants in Southern CA, and in addition to their own brands, could be contracted to produce private label wheels for retailers such as "Wholesale Distributors" or "WD" which was a large chain of Tire/Wheel/Speed Equipment Stores throughout the West Coast (USA).
    Last edited by montoya_fan01; 04-17-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Huh?! I'll have to get my slots out and have a look.

Thanks, Alan for jumping in on the KS wheels. I didn't want this wheel thing to stay confined to the American shores (much less Southern California) without at least some mention of what was actually available.

I have that R&T issue. I'll have to go have a look.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Learn something new every day! A friend of mine said he found some "Z" hub centers that fit on the D cap. Check this out. The catalog indicates that the D center excludes Europe. Do you have Ds or Zs over there, Alan?

40300-E4400 Assy-Road Wheel- 5Jx14
    40300-E4600 Assy-Road Wheel- 5-1/2Jx14 (steel) Optional

Oh BTW, where is the background for that KS wheel advertisement?

Name:	Parts_590015.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	11948  
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Learn something new every day! A friend of mine said he found some "Z" hub centers that fit on the D cap. Check this out. The catalog indicates that the D center excludes Europe. Do you have Ds or Zs over there, Alan?
    The situation is a little confusing when it comes to what Nissan called "Europe", and what it called "Exc. Europe" ( which covered the UK market cars ). Both "D" and "Z" emblems were used. See the page scans attached below for descriptions, applcations and part numbers:

Oh BTW, where is the background for that KS wheel advertisement?
    No idea. Could it possibly be the huge gash in the earth caused by the mining of ore to make all the Kobe Seiko wheels? I'm just glad you never asked me about the model and her silver jumpsuit.........

Name:	R-Drive - illus59-1.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	11949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R-Drive - wheels-1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	11950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R-Drive-hubcaps etc-1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	11951  

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

No need to ask about the silver jump suit. I just sent her an e-mail and asked her out. I was just thinking the landscape had a California feel to it. The optional wheel lists as E4200 compared to my version E4600. Huh!
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

While I have the book handy, here's a scan of the Japanese domestic parts catalogue page that depicts the 432 Mag, the steel wheel, and the hubcap for the Fairlady Z-L.

Part numbers:

*40300-E4100 ASS'Y WHEEL, road
    *40315-E4105 ASS'Y COVER, road wheel

*40300-E4200 ASS'Y WHEEL, ( magnesium )

Name:	Domestic parts cat-fig 61-1.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	11952  

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

I was just thinking the landscape had a California feel to it.
    Ha! There must be a secret subtext there. I'll have to try and dig out a few Japanese wheel advertisements that have cherry blossoms and Samurai warriors on them to even up the balance now.

The optional wheel lists as E4200 compared to my version E4600. Huh!
    E42 'Part Type' usually means 432/PZ-specific........

Proves what we keep saying about "looking at the whole family in order to understand each family member".......

Alan T.

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

There is a 5.5"x14" Road Wheel- Aluminium listed in the Parts Catalog as:
    40300-N3225 with a drawing of an aluminium wheel, but that drawing shows cars up through 78...
    40300-N3225 & 40300-N3226 were listed in the Japanese-market parts catalogues for the later cars.

This wheel was also used on some Export market cars; we first saw them here in the UK on the later RS30 '260Z' model.

Scans from Japanese-market parts catalogues and the tenth edition of Nissan's 'Service Shuho' booklets for the S30-series Z are attached below. The 'Service Shuho' page scan illustrating the hubcaps also shows the rather neat 'Nissan'-branded locking wheel nuts:

Name:	PartsCat-Japan-late-wheel-1.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	11953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Service Shuho 324 - p51.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	11954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Service Shuho 324 - p52.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	11955  

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Now that's why I was curious about the "Road wheel-aluminum" that Carl mentioned. The 40300-N3225/26 looks like the same wheel (40300-N3200) used in the US on the 260/280Z. Those are the ones on my car. I'd love to get my hands on a set of those locks.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

The 40300-N3225/26 looks like the same wheel (40300-N3200) used in the US on the 260/280Z. Those are the ones on my car.
    Hi Stephen,
    I wonder why the part numbers are different? It would seem that the part numbers I quoted from the Japanese parts list are later ( or at least a higher number ) than your wheels. Is there a detail difference do you think?

The Nissan 'Service Shuho' booklet where I first see these wheels introduced to the Japanese market is dated July 1976, so I'm wondering if they were introduced earlier elsewhere?

I'd love to get my hands on a set of those locks.
    I've never even seen a set in the metal. Must be pretty rare I'd guess.

Alan T.

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

I didn't realize this was some sort of mystery wheel. I call these "Iron Cross" wheels. 40300-N3225 and N3227

Name:	Parts_J3_p91.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	11956  
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Default KS wheels

I was bidding on this magazine on ebay but it went a bit rich for me especially since it was in US dollars and not AUD.

Anyway pictured is two 432 Zeds.

Name:	d7_3.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	11957  

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

I didn't realize this was some sort of mystery wheel. I call these "Iron Cross" wheels. 40300-N3225 and N3227
    Isn't the "Iron Cross" wheel a different design altogether? ( it actually looks like a German / Maltese cross ). I thought that first came on the S130-series?

Member ID
    CZCC-1303

Yes, This one is the Iron Cross ZX wheel
    DatsunVic CZC1303
    ダットサンビク
    72 HLS30 94071
    72 510
    70 SRL311 13136
    71 PL521
    Los Angeles
    Visit My Other Photo Site

Member ID
    CZCC-1278

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Laury
    Yes, This one is the Iron Cross ZX wheel
    Reminds me of the ebay.com.au auction in which someone was selling a set of these that had been painted red, and the seller swore black and blue that they were standard on the 240z, even though people had sent him messages that they were from a 280zx. He even went as far to say that if you had seen a 280zx these wheels would look too small on in it as its a big car

Anybody else think the Iron Cross wheels design was inspired by the wheels on the 216X concept car?

Name:	concept_1971_216x.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	11964  
    www.nostalgictrio.com Skyline - Silvia - Fairlady Z
    www.ozdat.com The Australian Datsun site.
    www.cafepress.com/vintagedatsun

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Mr. Badmood is struggling today. I said; "I call these..." Thank you for posting a wheel that you call by the same name. Very interesting. Actually, the wheel in question as well as the S130 wheel doesn't have a name other than "road wheel". So there! I'm still correct!
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-5906

The other "Iron Cross" wheel in better picture. thanks daddz

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/a...8&d=1128624144

Name:	wheel.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	11971  
    1973 240Z HLS30-156693

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

All you had to do was look at my avitar. Chris, I've always heard of the S130 wheels referred to as "Iron Cross". I've never heard of the wheels on my car referred to as that although some people wrongly refer to them as "Black Pearl" wheels. Alan, I don't know why the US number would be different. I believe that the became an option here in 1974 when the US 260Z was introduced. As far as I can tell, they are the same wheels. Similar situation with the wheels on my 810. In the US they're 40300-U8925 and in Australia they are 40300-R4671.....same wheel.
    Last edited by sblake01; 04-18-2006 at 04:17 PM.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Yea, the S130 wheels are much more "iron cross" than the "Black Pearl" wheels. I have heard them called that also. Whatever they are, they are pretty.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-1303

Now, That's something we agree on
    I think the "BP"'s would look even better with the round disc in the background cut out. Of, course, It may hurt the wheel strength.
    DatsunVic CZC1303
    ダットサンビク
    72 HLS30 94071
    72 510
    70 SRL311 13136
    71 PL521
    Los Angeles
    Visit My Other Photo Site

Member ID
    CZCC-29230

Default Wheels on my 1970 240z

This is a pic of the rims on my 1970 240z. I think they might have been dealer add on's but I have seen pics of 3 other datsun 240z's online with the same rims.

They are all aluminum rims.

pictures below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original rims restored.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	63011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Original rims shined as aluminum.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	63012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original rims.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	63013

This one is mine:

Name:	IMAG0019.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	63014

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Anthony View Post
    This is a pic of the rims on my 1970 240z. I think they might have been dealer add on's but I have seen pics of 3 other datsun 240z's online with the same rims.

They are all aluminum rims.
    Those are Minilites or copies thereof.

All US 240Zs came with steel wheels+wheel covers from the factory. Yours are aftermarket, whether dealer add-on or not.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-29230

Thanks for the info LeonV.

It turns out they are original aluminum Minilites of the 1970's era. I did some research and discovered they also made them in Magnesium. The problem with the Magnesium rims is that they increasingly become brittle over time. They are also susceptible to lighting on fire due to heat. I am glad mine are the aluminum rims.

Member ID
    CZCC-29853

Quote Originally Posted by HS30-H View Post
    Hold on, let's get this straightened up before it gets out of hand. The picture that you posted is of a Kobe Seiko 'Maglloy' wheel - which Kobe Seiko manufactured and sold to the general public as their own design from the mid 1970s. This was essentially the same pattern that they manufactured for Nissan ( used as standard equipment on the Fairlady Z432 ) but with some small detail alterations and some added lettering to differentiate it from the OEM Nissan items.

Kobe Seiko made a number of different wheel designs for Nissan to use on the S30-series Z:

*Original 432 wheel. Cast magnesium. Fixing points for a small centre cap. Also quoted as an 'Option' part for the S30 Fairlady Z-L and S30-S Fairlady Z. Manufacturing date was stamped onto each wheel, as magnesium was recognised as having a limited life expectancy for safe road use. Usually painted dull gunmetal colour.
    ( Chief Designer Yoshihiko Matsuo wanted all models of the S30-series Z to have 4-spoke alloy wheels, but this was overruled for reasons of cost - so only the 432 got them in the end ).

*Works 'Rally Mag' wheel. Cast magnesium. No centre cap fixing points, and 'vented' spoke castings. Manufactured in 6jj x 14 and ( more commonly used ) 7jj x 14. No manufacturing date stamps. Never sold to the general public, and supplied only to Nissan for their 'Works' rally cars. Usually painted dull gunmetal colour.

And then in the mid to late 1970s, after the above wheels were no longer being made for Nissan, Kobe Seiko dusted off the original design and made some modifications. They sold these wheels as:

*Kobe Seiko 'Maglloy' wheel. Cast magnesium ( some also later manufactured in aluminium ) and fully tested / licensed for use on road cars. Clip-on centre caps. Usually painted silver.

Private restoration companies have in the past recreated both the '432' mag and the Works 'Rally Mag' in limited editions ( made from aluminium for longer life ). These pop up from time to time to confuse matters - but the fact that they are aluminium and not magnesium usually indicates their status as replicas.

See pictures below for illustrations of the above three 'types' of Kobe Seiko wheel.

Trivia department: Kobe Seiko were active during the Pacific War years, and manufactured all sorts of castings and forging for the Japanese military. One of their specialities was wheel manufacture, and they made many of the magnesium wheels for Japanese army and navy aircraft - including those on the legendary Mitsubishi A6 'Zero Sen' fighter..........

Alan T.
    Hi!
    I'm doing some research to return to my 240Z the original wheels used in Portugal market! I have done some research and I've found that there are some variations to the original. So, I present the following photos:
    Photo 1: Originals, just missing the "D" center, 14x5,5 (I believe); magnesium. Used in Z432, too.
    2nd Photo: Used in competition, rallies, with more openings in the rim, without center (14x7); lighter than the original, magnesium, very rare
    3rd and 4th Photo: Very similar to the competition ones, with no center, but without the additional openings (I saw a picture of these wheels on a Bluebird 610 Rally Car, is it possible); what kind of material will be? Used in the 240Z's?
    This 3rd photo is that is causing me doubts. What wheels are these? Anyone know?

I ask for help to experts!

Thanks in advance.

Name:	Z432wheelsdone.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	71853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240Z%20Rare%20Works%20Rally%20Wheels1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	71854Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large_13638815536642431.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	71855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	datsun_bluebird_1971_images_1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	71856

Member ID
    CZCC-30619

Default newby wheel question

I have a set of nisson wheels that came with my 1970 240z with dirt racing tires on them. I think they are magnesium and have the codes 40300 n3200, fz1, nissan and ju (i think) 5 1/2 - J x 14 15 stenciled on. I can send pic via email. Any info appreciated. Clayton

Thread Information