Thread: kenmeri v8 and 9inch swap

Member ID
    CZCC-12978

Default kenmeri v8 and 9inch swap

im contemplating on swaping a v8 and a 9inch ford rear end into my 74 kenmeri. has anyone here done this?? if so i would love to see pics..

Member ID
    CZCC-10015

A V8 makes sense, but why a 1950's design live rear axle when you can use an R200 and stay independent?
    For that matter why even use a V8 when engines like RB25DET & RB30ET are available?

Member ID
    CZCC-1278

He's in the USA i think, so RB30 arent available, apart form the guy on hybridz that imported some of them to the USA.

Also ford must have an IRS diff by now? What do all the irs V8 falcons use for a diff?

I've read about somone that converted a live axle ford 9 inch into an irs unit and stuck it in a 240z.
    www.nostalgictrio.com Skyline - Silvia - Fairlady Z
    www.ozdat.com The Australian Datsun site.
    www.cafepress.com/vintagedatsun

Member ID
    CZCC-8975

pros: i think it's a neat idea, but use a ford smallblock with the dizzy in the front

cons: realize that you'll probably be shunned by hotrodders as well as other datsun enthusiasts. you may tell yourself that you don't care, but you will care

also, plan on selling it mid project or right after you're completed as this inevitably happens to every one whom i've heard about

the exception may be the hybridz v8 enthusiasts, but they have a network, peer and support network

Member ID
    CZCC-12978

i already have a v8 240z, and the reason im thinking about going with a 9 inch in the skyline is becouse i keep breaking my diff in the z, sure its only the r180 but its a low compression 350sbc, and im thinking about a turbocharged 383 in the skyline. im in the process of putting my turbo l28 engine in the skyline but it is slow go with all the snow and cold weather in colorado. it should be done in a month or two, but im just thinking about what to do with it for next summer. as far as the datsun purists go , i respect their opinions, but this is a beautiful car that im going to be putting alot of time and money into so i want it how i want it,,,,FAST! !!
    thanks guys

Member ID
    CZCC-10015

An R180 is a 7" diff so not surprising you're breaking them!

Unfortunately Ford Oz use a BW diff in all the 'coons so that is no use (p*** poor ratio selection for one, poor quality control for another).

There WAS an engineering firm in southern NSW making aluminium housings etc to create an independent rear suspension 9" diff for Cobra's but haven't heard of them for a while.

Do a search in the Cobra kitcar line, someone must still do one!

Failing that, try Hollinger Engineering and Harrop Engineering, both in Victoria Oz but be prepared for a sticker shock.

Don't overlook the R230 diff out of late Nissan Patrol. If you can bust THAT then you need a Dana 60, not a Ford!!!

On choice of engine, why even bother with where the dizzy is? Convert the engine to use a MegaJolt Lite Junior with EDIS so NO dizzy.
    Last edited by aarc240; 01-15-2007 at 07:28 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Big Hat View Post
    also, plan on selling it mid project or right after you're completed as this inevitably happens to every one whom i've heard about
    O ye of little faith or maybe your still reeling from the effects of Lachlan selling his beauty.

I can honestly say that everyone on this site will support you 100% as I'm sorta doing the same thing as you and everyone has been more than great to me.

I'm putting the whole assembly from a 300zx LSD IRS into mine, I've been told it's a R230 diff (1.4mm bigger than a 9inch) but I cannot verify this as I know nothing about them. I've attached photos of the IRS assembly, I bought it deliverd to my house for $450 AUD including 6 month warranty.

With rough measurements it appears I will have to pump the rear guards 7cm each side
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sup098.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	347.9 KB 
ID:	15991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sup096.jpg 
Views:	1031 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	15992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sup097.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	293.5 KB 
ID:	15993  

Biafra for President e_racer1999's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-6883

why not a quick-change?
    Jason King
    6/72 240Z / HLS30 89646 (Yellow)
    1996 Infiniti I30 *I finally have all Nissans again!*
    1971 510 4door (wife's car)
    IZCC Member #14186

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    As unfortunate as it may be, if you want to vintage race, go Euro....If you want to race for real, stick with the Z!

Member ID
    CZCC-8975

240kconv, i look forward to you proving me wrong a few years from now. btw, i hope everybody still got their k's in a few years

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Camouflage View Post
    He's in the USA i think, so RB30 arent available, apart form the guy on hybridz that imported some of them to the USA.

Also ford must have an IRS diff by now? What do all the irs V8 falcons use for a diff?

I've read about somone that converted a live axle ford 9 inch into an irs unit and stuck it in a 240z.
    Ford might have independent rear suspension in OZ, but here in the U.S. all (both?) of their rear-drive cars are still live axle, except perhaps for the GT40...

At least the Mustang and Crown Victoria/Marquis are still live rear axle. I don't think that they have any others... Just the two refugees from that 70's show.
    '71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

Member ID
    CZCC-4696

Here in the U.S. the only Fords with IRS are the Explorer/Expedition S.U.V.s, and the '00-'04 (I believe these are the years) Mustang Cobra. An R200 should be able to handle the power of just about anything really. I know that Jun used the R200 in both of their HyperLemon Silvias. Each were putting down about 700hp. And then again you could go a step further with the R230 from the Z32TT. These are short nose cases and would need some work to get it in. I am just going to use an R200 LSD in mine. And this will be with the RB30dett I'm building. The real trick to the R200 is to find a later 12mm bolt version. These were from the '86 and later cars. These are typically considered stronger than the early 10mm bolt ones.

Brian
    If it's not a Nissan, it's not worth owning.

Member ID
    CZCC-1278

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Moore View Post
    Ford might have independent rear suspension in OZ, but here in the U.S. all (both?) of their rear-drive cars are still live axle, except perhaps for the GT40...

At least the Mustang and Crown Victoria/Marquis are still live rear axle. I don't think that they have any others... Just the two refugees from that 70's show.
    Here in Aus theres a Ford v's Holden rivalry. There's a touring car race series thats Ford Falcon v's the Holden Commodore.

I think Holden went IRS first, so Ford had to go IRS too.
    Here's the ford:
    http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...Page&c=DFYPage

Looks like GM is going to export the Commodore Sedan to the USA (They previously sent the 2 door over as the GTO ) I hear they had on at the Detroit(?) motor show recently.
    http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...w?modelid=4006

Biafra for President e_racer1999's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-6883

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Camouflage View Post
    HAHA check out pic 6!!

anyway, that car is HOT
    Jason King
    6/72 240Z / HLS30 89646 (Yellow)
    1996 Infiniti I30 *I finally have all Nissans again!*
    1971 510 4door (wife's car)
    IZCC Member #14186

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    As unfortunate as it may be, if you want to vintage race, go Euro....If you want to race for real, stick with the Z!

Member ID
    CZCC-12978

akwikz, are you doing that in a kenmeri?? does the r200 pretty much bolt on or are there mods to make it work? also those are out of 280zx turbos right??

Member ID
    CZCC-4696

Yes, this is going into my Kenmeri. They are not a direct bolt in. You need to modify the rear mount some. It is not all that difficult though. The 280ZX turbo does have an R200 that would work, but it is one of those early 10mm bolt versions. The ones from the later Z31 300ZX and 200SX are 12mm bolt R200s. You will need the inner stub axles from an R200 out of a 280Z if you do not use C.V. joints on these later diffs. The inner stubs from your R180 are not compatible with the R200 so you can't just reuse those. Now, one other option you might have is a rare diff called an R190. These are a direct bolt in replacement of the R180, are substantially stronger than the R180, and will also bolt to your axles and the driveshaft. There are a few around, I may be able to help you source one if you'd like to go that route.

Brian
    If it's not a Nissan, it's not worth owning.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

240kconv, i look forward to you proving me wrong a few years from now. btw, i hope everybody still got their k's in a few years
    I too look forward to proving you wrong (fingers crossed) , it's sad how many pride and joys get sold as unfinished project, even if they are finished they sell for sweet F A. That Anaconda Torana that was on the front cover of Street Machine is up for sale for $40k in Unique Cars. What a waste of money, must have cost at least $100k to build.

I have the poster up in my garage with the words "what not to do" written on it.

Sorry for the thread highjack.

Member ID
    CZCC-1278

Quote Originally Posted by akwikz View Post
    Yes, this is going into my Kenmeri. They are not a direct bolt in. You need to modify the rear mount some. It is not all that difficult though. The 280ZX turbo does have an R200 that would work, but it is one of those early 10mm bolt versions. The ones from the later Z31 300ZX and 200SX are 12mm bolt R200s. You will need the inner stub axles from an R200 out of a 280Z if you do not use C.V. joints on these later diffs. The inner stubs from your R180 are not compatible with the R200 so you can't just reuse those. Now, one other option you might have is a rare diff called an R190. These are a direct bolt in replacement of the R180, are substantially stronger than the R180, and will also bolt to your axles and the driveshaft. There are a few around, I may be able to help you source one if you'd like to go that route.

Brian
    If you find a R190 open diff, there was a R190 LSD center for sale on ebay Australia recently. Didn't sell. Seller might be open to offers.

Member ID
    CZCC-10015

I thought that only the TT version of the Z32 had the R230 and that all others had an R200.

Since the Z32 in Aus was never available TT then wouldn't it be an R200, with a revised rear cover for extra oil capacity and possibly a little extra heat dissipation?

Anyone know for sure?

btw, that rear cover is apparently the exact same part that NISMO was selling at some ridiculously inflated price!

Member ID
    CZCC-10015

Re the 10mm vs 12mm bolts in R200's.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that the later Z31 and 200SX units are 12mm versions - a some Z31's delivered in Aus have 10mm bolts.

I've seen the occasional 12mm version in '83 280ZX 2+2 non-turbo cars in Aus so Nissan must have been upgrading a bit earlier than the intro of the Z31. Presumably they then used up whatever was in stock with the earlier Z31's.

Anyway, it is not as critical these days. ARP make some really nice 10mm bolts that can provide MORE clamping pressure than the 12mm bolts from Nissan.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

Did Schwiplarkin ever get started on his project?

a lot of people seem to come up with ideas but few ever act on them.

Member ID
    CZCC-12978

sorry i havent posted here in a long time , but to answer 240kconvertible i have done two different projects and about to start my third. first i put a l28t motor in the skyline, the block cracked so i the did the v8 conversion with a four speed muncie tranny. it all turned out pretty good after a ton of work , i had to cut out 3 inches if the fire wall, use a front mount engine plate and made some mounting brackets off of the frame rails. i decided to use the stock rear end due to money and replace it when it breaks. ... well,, the first time to the track i blew it up right at the line. so now im starting the backhalf project. im putting a ford 9 inch with a four link setup. does anyone here know the gear ratio on the stock rear end? i will try to post some pics in the near future.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

Post some photos of your projects!

Member ID
    CZCC-12978

sorry i forgot to update you guys but you might find this interesting,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6NlfTdyv84

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

heh heh

Consider yourself proved wrong Mat Big Hat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWQZhh9h480

Two V8 K's completed lol. . . . . . poor Datsun purists

Awesome Car schwiplarkin, was it down the 1/8th or 1/4tr mile? also what was all the smoke right at the end of the clip.

Really glad to see your car completed.

Member ID
    CZCC-12978

That's 1/4 mile,,, I melted a piston,, but I'm doin more work to her over the winter,, should be in the 8s pretty easy,,,,,, thanks

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

This car is fkn awesome.

At a guess I'd say you have the quickest C110 in the world Can you post some photos of the engine and the car please.

What chassis strengthening/roll cage have you added?

Member ID
    CZCC-12978

Well i got Her running alittle better this year,, the best so far is a 8.78 ,,, check it out...http://www.youtube.com/user/schwipla.../3/5oba6LommHY

Member ID
    CZCC-12978

She got a little faster over the winter,, check it out..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAtyD...olz&playnext=1

Member ID
    CZCC-12978

Did some racing in Vegas in November,, best of the weekend was 7.26@198mph

Member ID
    CZCC-12978

Power wheelie 300 ft out!

Member ID
    CZCC-11978

Holy ****

Shannons 2014 Skyline Nationals :https://tinyurl.com/mcrtqux (ClassicZcars Thread)

Member ID
    CZCC-28810

What the f$&k!!!! That's awesome!!!
    Adam

1975 HGC110 "YONMERI" Datsun 240K GL Sedan
    1976 KHGC110 "KENMERI" Datsun 240K GL Coupe

1978 MGC210 "Japan" Datsun 240K sedan (sold)

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/foru...hp?f=7&t=24596

Contact Jason at info@jdmfactory.com.au for all your YJ / JDM needs !!

Thread Information