Thread: Some Scarab pics

Member ID
    CZCC-1003

Default Some Scarab pics

Hey everybody, haven't been around here in a while. Here are some pics of Scarab #154. I completed the suspension rebuild back in the spring. I also located and restored an original set of Scarab valve covers and ran across an original unused radiator. All the brakes received attention too. I rebuilt the original front 4 piston FIA calipers with a NOS seal kit, one piston had to be replaced due to pitting that could not be polished out.

Please PM me with any questions you may have.

Enjoy!!!

Reason suspension needed rebuilding...

Suspension before:

Suspension parts soaking in EZ off.

After:

Valve covers before and after:

Close up

Exhaust cleaned up

Exhaust coated with POR-15 HIGH HEAT BLACK. Great stuff!!!

Midwest Zfest Omaha, NE Track Mid America Motorplex

Member ID
    CZCC-14925

The improvements you show in your photos are mind-boggling. What is EZ off, and is it safe to use on any 240Z?
    Love the Z
    Ours is a 1971 240z with a 260z engine for sale (California native) VIN HLS3028499 Asta

Member ID
    CZCC-1003

Quote Originally Posted by RolfSis View Post
    What is EZ off, and is it safe to use on any 240Z?
    EZ off oven cleaner. If it can clean tough baked on food it'll clean off grease and grime, just use chem glove or similar rubber gloves, it's nasty stuff. I also like laquer thinner for wiping down surfaces just before you paint them, it gets any remaining dirt, grease and grime off your parts.

Biafra for President e_racer1999's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-6883

EZ off, what a great idea!

i wish i could see the pics but i'm at work and the websense nazis are at it again
    Jason King
    6/72 240Z / HLS30 89646 (Yellow)
    1996 Infiniti I30 *I finally have all Nissans again!*
    1971 510 4door (wife's car)
    IZCC Member #14186

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    As unfortunate as it may be, if you want to vintage race, go Euro....If you want to race for real, stick with the Z!

Member ID
    CZCC-15376

great work
    King of Datsun

Member ID
    CZCC-14925

Thanks for the GREAT idea! The before/after pictures are absolutely awesome! WOW! Things really look like new!
    Love the Z
    Ours is a 1971 240z with a 260z engine for sale (California native) VIN HLS3028499 Asta

Member ID
    CZCC-16646

pardon me i am new to the Z cars but what is a scarab conversion maybe some one could explaine it

Member ID
    CZCC-4106
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-1003

Here is more info per a member request.

The cars suspension is full poly kit (Energy Suspension) with front LCA spacers to correct geometry. Tokico springs and adjustable Illumina struts. The ride is reasonablly stiff. On a recent drive around the freeways around Tulsa, it was not a pleasant experience because the roads around there are really rough. On better maintained roads the cars ride is very predictable and stable. At higher speed the car settles into its grove and loves to run fast, very fast.

HSDE are blast if I don't split hoses and throw belts (my bad).

The car is lowered via the Tokico springs. The front tires do not rub. Tire size is 225-50-16. Rears are 225-50-16. They do rub due to this being a series one car which placed the wheel in the more forward position in the wheel well. This was a known issue and Datsun changed the rear end configuration in 1973. To eliminate or lessen the rubbing issue I took a grinder and shaved the inner fender to the spot welds then gently massaged the inner fender with a hammer with out distorting the metal. Although this helped it did not eliminate the problem. I am going to attack the issue again after I resolve a wiring problem this weekend.

Wheels are Panasports from Motor Sports purchased by the prior owner. 16X7"

The car has a few items that make it look "different" from other 240's you'll notice the bumpers are smooth, no over rider bars or bumperettes. These are commonly refered to as California bumbers or euro bumpers. They take a standard thin bumper fill the holes with metal then rechrome the bumpers and do not add any bump strips etc. Next the car has a louvered hood and inspection lids. These were Scarab options but also avaliable from Motor Sports at one time (may still be avaliabe).

Next the car has clear side markers and clear front turn signals (avaliable from Too Intense Restorations). Next all the window trim is blacked out as well as the door handles and key locks these little touches give the car a clean fresh look.

The red stripes on the car are called "rookie stripes" which I kept when I sold my Factory Five roadster (Shelby Cobra) they are removeable and let cars on the track during HSDE know that you are not familiar with the track. The vintage Castrol decals also came from my roadster and are removeable. By the way I work for Castrol Lubricants so it's a natural fit on the car for me.

The Original "Datsun" fender logos have been replaced by the "Scarab" logos in black and of course the original Scarab medallion is affixed on the sail panel.

This is a pretty good idea of how low the car sits

Last edited by nwa240z; 10-17-2008 at 10:33 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-16049

awesome job...

Member ID
    CZCC-19024

Beautiful Z!

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

Great looking car and excellent details. Thanks for sharing!!
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

You did a geat job on this car. A superb Scarab in full glory.
    Anyone konws where i can find a set of removeable "rookie stripes" ?

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

Quote Originally Posted by nwa240z View Post
    The front tires do not rub. Tire size is 225-50-16. Rears are 225-50-16. They do rub due to this being a series one car which placed the wheel in the more forward position in the wheel well. This was a known issue and Datsun changed the rear end configuration in 1973.
    Nice job. Thanks for sharing the pics of your car and your work.

FYI, I have never heard that the position of the rear wheels was moved back, but rather that the diff was moved back 35mm to eliminate vibration caused by the half-shafts being angled forward. According to Nissan this was done beginning with series 3 (1972) cars in starting in 10/71 and forward through the replacement of the front diff isolator, rear diff member (moustace bar) and transverse link member. However by looking at the part numbers it appears that this change may have first been made as early as 7/71. You easily tell the difference by looking at the shape of the transverse link member to see if it's straight/flat as in the pre-series 3 cars, or curved rearward like the series 3-5 240Zs.

Also note that the series 1-5 cars all used the same part number for the rear transverse links through 7/71 which would include all 70-73 cars. Based on this I see no way that the wheels could have been moved forward. If you are aware of some information to the contrary, please share what you know. Cheers!
    Last edited by =Enigma=; 04-01-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added further detail
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

My name is Adam and I'm a Zeeoholic!

Thread Information