Thread: Signed by Mr. K and its only $275

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

Default Signed by Mr. K and its only $275

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...em370037236103

A no reserve auction, looks like a bargain price for now anyway.
    1977 280Z
    I'm great at taking my Z apart, putting it back together has been a whole different story.

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I don't know, I think I'd leave that one where it is unless I needed a parts car.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Looking at the pictures and comparing it to my yellow 240Z, I'd buy it on the assumption that it's a parts car, and place my bid accordingly. If it turns out to be worth saving, fine. But I wouldn't bid on it that way.

Does appear to have some good parts, though.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

You West coast people are so picky...
    '71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

'72 240Z(G) 3.2L
    Member ID
    CZCC-7328

Default FairnessLady

I have to say that the presentation of this car up for sale was one of the most honest ones I've seen on ebay.

They provided a ton of pictures and didn't avoid taking shots of potential or real problem areas.

Back here on the East Coast that is a $2,000. car. To me it would make a great "break glass in case of crashing your other 240" car. If I had room for another one I'd buy it and put it away.
    if a little knowledge can make you dangerous, I'm a little dangerous

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Talking

Boy o boy, that must have been the toughest 18,018 miles ever driven.
    Last edited by bpilati; 03-29-2008 at 06:12 AM.
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-5718

Quote Originally Posted by gnosez View Post
    I have to say that the presentation of this car up for sale was one of the most honest ones I've seen on ebay.

They provided a ton of pictures and didn't avoid taking shots of potential or real problem areas.

Back here on the East Coast that is a $2,000. car. To me it would make a great "break glass in case of crashing your other 240" car. If I had room for another one I'd buy it and put it away.
    i like that they showed pics of the undercarridge. very few sellers make this effort.
    to be or not to be- shakespeare
    do be do be do- sinatra
    vehicles owned
    72 240z
    2009 honda civic exl
    1973 triumph tr6
    wife's
    2002 vw jetta
    68 390 mustang coup

Go Fast, Don't Crash 280~Master's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-9867

If I was on the west coast I would buy it for a grand. Here on the east side of the US cars in that condition are very hard to find for a low price. Plus I have a 280 and want a 240.
    John Thomas Bertrand
    Model: HLS30 STD CPE 2DR
    Color: 305 LIGHT BLUE
    Serial: HLS30-298085
    Engine: L28-081399
    Port of Entry: 34 JACKSONVILLE
    Method of Transport: TRUCK
    Dealer to whom delivered:
    Brown Datsun INC
    213 E Liberty ST
    Lyons, GA 30436

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Moore View Post
    You West coast people are so picky...
    Yeah, I'll admit to that. We're lucky to live where there is still a reasonable selection of 240Zs left.

Quote Originally Posted by gnosez View Post
    Back here on the East Coast that is a $2,000. car.
    Quote Originally Posted by 280~Master View Post
    Here on the east side of the US cars in that condition are very hard to find for a low price.
    So here's a question that puzzles me a bit. Why don't more Easterners buy these affordable West Coast cars and ship them back East? Sure, shipping would add $800-1000, but you might still come out ahead.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-4320

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    So here's a question that puzzles me a bit. Why don't more Easterners buy these affordable West Coast cars and ship them back East? Sure, shipping would add $800-1000, but you might still come out ahead.

There's still the travel factor involved that'll easily tack on an extra $1000 or so. I've read too many stories about people from the eastern US buying sight unseen & not getting what they felt was a fair description.

Then there's the time issue if you're going to look at a specific car. I wouldn't hold mine for three weeks just so a Californian could get a good deal on a plane ticket to fly over & potentially buy mine. If I bought a ticket, ATL-LAX today so I could fly out Monday to look at a car is going to run $753.00 The car rental is another $100 total because you'd have to plan on staying out there a couple of days.

There's a bigger selection out there. Surely you'd go look at more than one car. Then there's finding the one you want & buying it. There's a couple of days there.

After all that, I wish I'd have went to PHX & LAX fora week & done it that way. I got in deeper than I expected & kinda pulled a Forrest Gump. I'd gone this far & just kept on running.

Member ID
    CZCC-16058

I'm in the northeast and I can relate to this. I would never buy a car sight unseen so the only car I would get on a plane to see was one I planned to buy unless it was misrepresented.

I am in the works to buy a nice one now but I have emailed a couple of people about their cars out of state and I've gotten mixed reaction to sending pictures, details, etc. I think when you have something for sale you never know who's a tire kicker and who's the real deal. Unless a seller was willing to send me bunches of detailed pictures I wouldn't be interested and I'm sure for every serious buyer he sends pictures to there are ten window shoppers so I can understand the seller's lack of interest in a way.

Don't forget to add the hotel room to your travel bill with the air fare and rental car.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Wasn't there a bid on this car already? The seller ended the auction because of an error in the listing.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I think you will see a number of signed items from Mr K. for sale at the ZCCA convention next fall.

thxZ
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Arne,
    I live in Ohio and the rust consumed 99% of the early Z's around here 20 years ago I decided to go on ebay and get one from the west. After looking for a few months, I ran across this one in my price range. Described as a rust free, unmolested original Z. Runs great, needs seats replaced and with a paint job, it would be a show car. I emailed back and forth a few times to the seller, he answered all my questions. He said he found no rust or bondo on the car and looked more carefully now than back when he bought the car. Claimed the original owner used a "paint of not high quality" years before and while it looked good from 10 feet away it was evident it could use a new paint job. Claimed everything but the clock worked.

To make a long story short, I bought it. Had it shipped from Salem, Oregon to Cincinnati, Ohio for $986. Needless to say it was far from the description.

1977 280Z
    I'm great at taking my Z apart, putting it back together has been a whole different story.

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

I screwed up and timed out on my edit. (I got so stressed out I needed a cigarette break ) Here are a few more pics.

This is what a rust free, o bondo, no body damaged car looks like

This is what a car that "used a paint of not high quality" looks like.

Now keep in mind this car was claimed to be a rust free, unmolested original car. With a paint job, "it would be a show car". "Runs perfect, no smoke, no leaks, just a great example of a great Z car" "Everything works but the clock"

I get the car, it looks like it was painted with rattle cans, overspray everywhere, the engine bay, interior, windshield, tires, bumpers, weatherstripping.
    The radio, blower motor, tach are inoperable. The thing sounds like a yellow school bus when I brake. The suspension is shot. Obvious rust and bondo. Took 3 months to get the title and only after I got Ebays fraud dept involved and threatended to sue the idiot. In that process, I find out he bought the car 4 weeks before listing it and not from "the original owner, an old retired guy" as claimed. He listed it for $2250 more than he paid for it on his reserve price and the only thing he did between buying it and listing it to enhance its value was to lie about it. He didnt so much as clean the windows, vaucum it or do an oil change (the oil filter had silver paint all over it as well).
    Then after everyhing, the guy leaves me feedback on ebay calling me a "piece of dog feces"

Phots can be misleading, words even more so. Needless to say, I will never buy another sight unseen
    Last edited by MEZZZ; 03-30-2008 at 06:47 AM.
    1977 280Z

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

Wow MEZZ. Needless to say you must have been upset. Did you get pics of all this while you were talking to him?

I also passed on a few good cars I probably should have bought because they were so far away. Plane ticket to Texas for a weekend, then gotta ship it back to the border or trailer it back. Thats alot of cost and time. It was much easier convincing myself to take a local car thats worse off because I could actually see it and get it done in a day.

I admit I should have made the extra effort, but thats why I settled.
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

Quote Originally Posted by Zak's Z View Post
    Wow MEZZ. Needless to say you must have been upset. Did you get pics of all this while you were talking to him?

I also passed on a few good cars I probably should have bought because they were so far away. Plane ticket to Texas for a weekend, then gotta ship it back to the border or trailer it back. Thats alot of cost and time. It was much easier convincing myself to take a local car thats worse off because I could actually see it and get it done in a day.

I admit I should have made the extra effort, but thats why I settled.
    The photos in the ad were taken from a few feet away on the engine bay and didnt show all the overspray, neither did any of the photos taken of the body. Like I said, photos can be very misleading, especially if retouched
    Obviously, had he sent me photos like this, I would have passed on it. I actually wrestled on buying it to the final day and like you, thought this might be the one that got away. I wish I would have let it go

Now, I really have no choice but to move forward with it, throw good money after bad. Lessons learned
    1977 280Z

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

On the bright side, you'll get to know every inch of the car and you're going to learn a whole new set of metal-working skills!
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-6600

Looks like the seller pulled the subject car off Ebay due to a mistake in the listing. I would assume it will be relisted. I think the car is a good candidate for restoration and shouldn't be parted out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9488.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	22444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9523.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	22445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9489.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	22446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9491.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	22447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9492.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	22448  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9493.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	22449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9500.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	22450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9428.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	22451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9430.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	22452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9504.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	22453  

Steve

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

Quote Originally Posted by lonetreesteve View Post
    Looks like the seller pulled the subject car off Ebay due to a mistake in the listing. I would assume it will be relisted. I think the car is a good candidate for restoration and shouldn't be parted out.
    I agree, especially at the no reserve price of $275 when I ran across it. It would take some $$ to get back to where it needs to be for sure, but hey, dont they all
    1977 280Z

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

Quote Originally Posted by Zak's Z View Post
    On the bright side, you'll get to know every inch of the car and you're going to learn a whole new set of metal-working skills!
    , I knew there was a silver lining somewhere in all of this!
    I actually spent a few days with goof off cleaning up the engine bay, windshield and weatherstripping, the paint was everywhere. I have the interior gutted right now and work a bit here and there on it. I am stripping the paint off the floors and hatch area and bought por-15 and dynamat. I already redid the seats with new foam and upholstery. I got a used set of guages and the speedhut faces, new stereo, 4 speakers and fully automatic antenna, shifter rubber boot and leather shift boot and e-brake boot, also new carpeting. So with a little time, the interior will be finished soon.
    You are correct though, I will know every inch when finished. I am just going to buy a hatch and front fender instead of trying to repair it, but I will learn some metal skills on the inner fender that is shown, as well as a small spot on the pass. footwell, oh yeah, and the pass. framerail
    1977 280Z

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

Good driver.....
    HLS30-217804 6/75 "The Unnatural One"

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

'72 240Z(G) 3.2L
    Member ID
    CZCC-7328

See a car you want on ebay or Craig's List but are unsure as to whether you should buy it sight unseen? Look up as local Z club nearby and ask if they know anything about the vehicle and if it might not be possible for one of them to stop by and inspect it for you.
    if a little knowledge can make you dangerous, I'm a little dangerous

Member ID
    CZCC-7902

It's back and doing well. Sounds like they did a bit of research since the last listing.

It's tough being a West Coast guy on East Coast time.

Thread Information