Thread: Restoring chromed plastic trim on door panels

Member ID
    CZCC-15707

Default Restoring chromed plastic trim on door panels

Has anyone had any good results replating or otherwise restoring peeling chrome plating on interior door panel plastic trim strips?

Member ID
    CZCC-16889

www.zcarsource.com They do an awsome job for a resonable price!
    1972 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-50836 (10/71)

CZCC # 16889
    Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-16672

I have heard of people using the Chrome tape you can buy. Never tried it myself so not sure how good it would be. I would say it would have that distinctive tape look too it.

Cheers

JC
    Cheers

JC

Current Project: 1971 Datsun 240z Series I - HLS30-14842
    Current drivers:
    1972 Datsun 240z - HLS30-69726
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2010 Mazdaspeed3

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Quote Originally Posted by Garagegoon View Post
    Did they rechrome yours? If so, can you post some before and after pictures and tell us what the pricing was, including shipping? Thanks.

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-15707

Quote Originally Posted by Garagegoon View Post
    How long did it take?

I tried some chrome tape from a hobby store that modelers use for bumpers, etc. on model cars. Did not look right!

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...y.php?cat=3479

Problem is the shipping to and from. That's why it never got priced.

FWIW
    E

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

Next time you're at the wrecker's yard, check out the front and rear bumpers on the wrecks. Some have a "chrome" strip running accross the bumper. It's actually a pliable plastic strip which, when held in place by double sided tape, looks very close to original.

Not sure if there's a pic in my gallery or not.

Rick.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER.
    SINCE IT'S IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER.

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

The blue plastic that is under the chrome matches the exterior color, so I removed all that would come off safely.

Bonzi Lon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bonzi 013.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	26894  
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-5718

what causes the chrome to peel? mine are perfect but i would like to take preventative action if posible.
    to be or not to be- shakespeare
    do be do be do- sinatra
    vehicles owned
    72 240z
    2009 honda civic exl
    1973 triumph tr6
    wife's
    2002 vw jetta
    68 390 mustang coup

Member ID
    CZCC-16889

Quote Originally Posted by zhead240 View Post
    what causes the chrome to peel? mine are perfect but i would like to take preventative action if posible.
    If the process of plating it was not done properly step by step it can create bad adhesion. No way to prevent sloppy workmanship. I was told that sometimes the parts such as yours will last a long time and others peel like crazy...

The process....

Firstly, all parts are washed in a special bath to remove any impurities on the surface of the plastic from handling. Then the pieces are hand sanded to ensure proper adhesion and to remove small imperfections and scratches.

The parts are then painted with a base coat so the vacuum metalized finish will adhere to the part and then baked to cure the paint. Now the piece is ready for plating.

The pieces are placed on racks that are attached to a large carousel which will be loaded into the vacuum chamber for the plating process.

In the middle of the carousel there are filaments which aluminum canes are loaded onto. After the carousel has been loaded the chamber is pumped down (all the oxygen removed), the filaments are then fired and like magic all the parts come out shiny.

After the parts are plated a top grade urethane clear coat is then applied to protect the finish and then the parts are baked once again to cure the paint.
    1972 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-50836 (10/71)

CZCC # 16889
    Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

David, the process you cite is what gets used for HARD plastic "chroming" and not the vinyl strip on the doors. Vinyl striping with this type of "coating" usually gets it's film covering applied immediately after the vinyl tubing has been extruded.

The door panel vinyl strip is therefore, already "chromed" on it's surface before it gets welded (possibly Ultra High Radio Frequency weld as that doesn't involve a hot press) to the base vinyl and hardboard. This is done with a large machine that presses down on the vinyl strip and the vinyl covered hardboard and "zaps" it into place. Look at your door panel and you'll note a distinctive weld flange at the junction between the door panel vinyl and the tubing.

The vinyl strip can lose the "chrome" film for a number of reasons. Most commonly due to the heat expansion and cold contraction differences between the vinyl tubing and the film.... minute, but present. Add to that the subtle differences in the adhesive coating on the film as the tubing and film were mated and you have the future potential for them to separate. The film is THIN... thin enough to resemble a decal, which it basically is.

Once the film separates ... anywhere... it starts peeling. The difference in the strength of the adhesive (after 30+ years) and the film's strength is what keeps part of it from peeling, while other areas don't.

While the typical tubing on the door panels after the chrome film peels off is a nice semi-transparent blue, I have seen pale amber and even a "green" tint.

The repair or replacement of that vinyl chorme strip depends on it's condition. I have been able to re-film the strip with what I consider acceptable results. The link I gave above shows panels 3+ years AFTER they were re-installed on the car. The car, while not the exclusive Daily Driver, is the preferred vehicle of choice by the owner of that car. As a result it has seen sufficient traffic to "pass" a "beta" test.

The problem in offering this "service" is in the shipping both to and from. However, with "used" panels at $185 each (making it $370 for a pair), it might be an alternative. Especially if your door panels are in good shape and acceptable ... except for the chrome vinyl strip.

FWIW
    E

P.S. The process I use also allows for "custom" color matching to an extent. Meaning, you pick the color from a color sheet. Colors can be metallic, pearlescent, and all one tone.

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

I'm sure environment and weather had lots to do with the strip peeling off. I placed my door panels on the garage wall in 1980. When I pulled them down 28 years later, the strips on both had come off and was just hanging on the last 3 inches closest to the dash. They were never moved or touched so I imagine the constant hot and cold over the years had something to do with it.

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-18209

I'll probably end up peeling the rest of the chrome off of mine, and then painting the strips black. Eventually, I'll recover the whole panels and do away with the strip altogether. I don't understand why Nissan put a single wooden trim strip on the doors, and nooooowhere else in the car. haha, sorta looks out of place.

Member ID
    CZCC-12939

I have heard that some people have touched them up with chrome fingernail polish with decent results. Probably a good option if they are just starting to peel.

Member ID
    CZCC-16976

I've been thinking of painting mine with modeling paint. If it sticks to a Tamiya, it should stick to a Datsun

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Chrome fingernail polish!!???

Well, if it looks OK.... Can you spray that with an airbrush?
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
    I've been thinking of painting mine with modeling paint. If it sticks to a Tamiya, it should stick to a Datsun
    I don't think the problem is a matter of getting paint to stick, but to get something that closely resembles the factory chrome coating.

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

Tamiya/modeling paint will not stand up to the elements. I know from experience

Member ID
    CZCC-13931

I tried the chrome pin stripe tape on mine and it looks pretty decent, but the main problem is getting the tape to lay down/stick to the curved molding on the door panels. I also tried applying contact cement to the chrome tape hoping it might form to the curved molding. The contact cement worked, but was a messy job and I was affraid of getting the cement on the door panels. I'm also not sure how well the tape would hold up in summer heat. Mine hasn't come loose and unless you get close you don't notice it is not comformed to the curve of the molding.

Thread Information