Thread: Support your local tire shop... it pays off

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285
    Blog Entries

Default Support your local tire shop... it pays off

I am a long time autocrosser and Tire rack supporter. However, a new local tire shop, A Firestone opened up near me. So I brought the Z in for a new set of shoes, since mine were over 10 years old, and I just do not trust them. I installed a set of Bridgestone G019 grips. Not bad by any means, but not nearly sporty enough for my tastes. After talking with the owner he agreed to let me return them for something more sporty that would fit. All I have to pay is mounting and balancing (35 bucks). I cannot tell you how thrilled I am with the ability to talk and negotiate a deal that makes me happy. Its a little strange to get that kind of customer service. Tire rack may be 10% cheaper, (in my case it was a dead heat), but the service after the sale CAN ONLY be accomplished by a local shop.

I will be outfitting all three of my vehicles this year with new tires, and I will give this place my business for all of them.

What you say is true Arne, you should establish a good relationship with your tire shop, just like you would your butcher, your mailman, or your doctor. It pays dividends.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I won't say it...
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Bitten by the Z bug hard bigoak's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-8037

Never thought about returning meat to a butcher for a sportier cut...hmmm...
    Bigoak

'71 240Z
    '77 280Z
    '87 300ZX

Member ID
    CZCC-20840

Quote Originally Posted by bigoak View Post
    Never thought about returning meat to a butcher for a sportier cut...hmmm...
    what if it just wasn't your taste of meat?

Member ID
    CZCC-10665
    Blog Entries

Back to the message of the thread, I agree kenobi on this one. I have a great realionship with the Manager of my local Discount Tire. Mike always gives me the best deal and uncompromised customer service. He knows my cars and he knows what I want in a tire when I arrive. Just today I got new shoes for my daughter's Sentra SE/R, he knew I wanted Yokohama's and that I am not a fan of the new S-drives that replaced the ES100. Why discontinue the ES100s?...I will never know but that is getting off subject. I knew right away to move to Bridgestone Potenzas which have a real nice tread and sidewall disign. $714 later which is only $20 than I paid for the ES100s 33,000 miles ago or 2 years ago. Not a bad day. The local Tire Guy is your friend.

Member ID
    CZCC-20840

Ultimately, I will agree. I have had many a bushing pressed in for free, picked up lug nuts and washers, cotter pins and several other small parts over the years by being "cool" to the folks at the tire shop. Every once in a while I will drop off a 18 pack or two at the end of the work day..

Member ID
    CZCC-6791
    Sierra Foothills outside of SACRAMENTO, CA

I'd always have the Firestone tire (Re: Ford exploders) debachle in the back of my mind. No thanks no matter what the service.
    Mat
    AKA MatMan
    MatM@M2Differentials.com

m2differentials.com

01/71 HLS30-19724 original 918, 4 speed, ready for the 5 spd swap, and R200 diff from the '81ZX
    08/71 HLS30-41979 multicolored auto, but under the knife - SOLD!!
    81 ZX Grey/blue 5-speed donor car, runs! - SOLD!!
    82 ZX Black auto T-top - motor/3.90 R200 donor car - MOST excellent PAPER WASP condo. - SOLD!!

Member ID
    CZCC-6558

unfortunately finding a good tire shop can be like finding a good doctor. $600 later you find out one more shop to cross off the list. Cross threaded lug nuts or wheels scraped up or a hour and a half wait for the 30-40 minute install or wheels that are pretty close to ballanced.
    I don't need them to sit on a slightly used set of tires for who knows how long, just don't mess everything else up.
    New Site in the works!
    http://www.240Z.me

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

I have had good luck with a Goodyear store near me. The manager knows that I have a tire sponsor and she is happy to M&B the Tire Rack Tires for me as long as I buy my 4Runner tires from her and I also have the 4Runner oil changed there. I could do it but for the time it takes to take off the rock guard and the splash pan $30.00 is well worth my time.
    Rob
    2000 BMW R1100 RT-SE (for sale)
    1999 Toyota 4Runner Supercharged
    1975 Porsche 914 stroker motor autoX car
    1973 Datsun 240Z Restoration project. New paint in original white. E31 head on 2.4 block. Nissan Motorsports header. R200 with Nissan motorsports LSD.

Member ID
    CZCC-13982

Quote Originally Posted by Mat M View Post
    I'd always have the Firestone tire (Re: Ford exploders) debachle in the back of my mind. No thanks no matter what the service.
    THere was NEVER any problem with the Firestones.Stop listening to the *^(#ing media.
    Faster than anyone in Oceanside

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

Quote Originally Posted by Montezuma View Post
    Just today I got new shoes for my daughter's Sentra SE/R, he knew I wanted Yokohama's and that I am not a fan of the new S-drives that replaced the ES100. Why discontinue the ES100s?...I will never know but that is getting off subject.
    Just picked up a NEW set of Yokohama AVS ES100's 225-50-15's for $78 per tire!! They are still out there if you can find them. The Tire Kingdom had 5 near my hometown (they have 1 left at this point). If anybody is looking you better get them before they are all gone!! Getting them installed in the morning - I'm really fired up
    Last edited by Arne; 08-06-2010 at 09:08 PM.
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-21253
    Blog Entries

Great tire at a great price Mitch. That's the same size I'm running. How many miles did you get out of yours before needing replacement?

Oh, just to keep this post on topic...

I will only purchase tires from a local dealer. The support from a tire shop far outweighs the price difference.
    Gary
    Guardian of HLS30-91415
    Previous Owner of a 10/70 240Z ('83-'85)

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

By the way - I did try all my local tire shops but none to be found on the Yoko's.........my previous tire was crap - they would follow ruts in the pavement and just a junk tire (PO), they had plenty of tread on them but the quality was what was killing me. It took almost 4 years but a little closer to being finished with this project. Now - September appointment to work on the engine bay with a head and block rebuild - I'm getting close to being finished - hell, there won't be anything left to do! My wife must really love me!! If I ever add up all this stuff I will have a heart attack!!
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-13982

edit.
    Last edited by Z train; 08-07-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    Faster than anyone in Oceanside

Thread Information