Thread: Quarter window replacement...

Still Z 1
    Member ID
    CZCC-23596

Default Quarter window replacement...

I'll be honest, Guys, the thought of undertaking this job scares the hell out of me. It looks pretty straightforward, but if anyone can mess it up... I'm that guy. Advice please. I have the new glass/trim assembly. I guess it's the thought of screwing up the interior panel that has me freaked out. If anyone else out there has done this and can talk me down, that would be great. Thanks in advance. Cheers, Scott

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Scott, I was going to replace the seals on my quarter windows. I removed the passenger quarter window. The process was VERY easy -- no risk to any of the parts. Upon removing it and seeing how the whole assembly went together, I was satisfied the area was perfectly tight, so I simply put it back together.

On a scale of 1-10 in difficulty, it was about a 2 or 3. Spark plug wires and the air filter might be a 1.

BTW, the interior panels are very easy to remove. You'll need to pull out your dome light, then remove the panel that fits into, and then remove the quarter window trim. To release a plastic rivet, simply push the little black rod through the rivet with a small nail or paperclip. It will fall harmlessly into the body cavity. Then you can pull the rivet out. If you're lucky, you can find the little rod again, so that you can reuse it. Otherwise you can order new rivets.
    Last edited by FastWoman; 02-24-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

Scott, just wet the gasket well with windex or soap and everything will slide right in. Mine was a tight fit. The only caution that I have is that the frame is fragile so be careful. The ends are spot welded together and can separate easily. I found that out. Don't ask. I used my old ones one set was slightly rusted and they separated .
    Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

This car is 40 years old?
    Member ID
    CZCC-16464

Good info! I will be going through this soon enough! I have the new weatherstripping, just need to get everything cleaned up and put together.

If anybody needs them, I have 2-3 extra sets of these windows. Just shoot me a PM if interested.

Tim
    Tim Reinhardt - Colorado Springs, CO.

71' 240Z.
    Build date = 2/71
    VIN# = HLS30-21505
    Rebuilding from the bottom up. Very cool project!

96' Impala SS - Full custom build from top to bottom. This is my weekend toy!

Member ID
    CZCC-17660

What the others have sad. Take you're time though, I had to use really soapy water and had to push pretty hard rearwards while threading the little bolts on. Most of those tiny bolts were rusted and snapped on mine, I replace all 4 per side with ss bolts and washers.

Still Z 1
    Member ID
    CZCC-23596

I think I can, I think I can... I know I can. Thank you Lady and gentlemen. FastWoman nailed it for me. I couldn't figure out how to remove those bloody rivets without snapping them. As soon as it warms up a little (it's about 19 degrees in the shop at the moment) I'm gonna dive into this project. Thanks for your input Guys. Cheers, Scott

Thread Information