Thread: Car Warriors

Member ID
    CZCC-1730

Angry Car Warriors

Watching this travesty. I am getting physically ill. These clowns have absolutely NO RESPECT for the Z. They should have used a K-car. I just wonder what they do with all the parts they stripped off.
    72 240-- stock motor and drivetrain, 50,500 orig. miles

Member ID
    CZCC-3706

It was "interesting".

Did you see Greg from Motorsport at the end?

Member ID
    CZCC-11460

Well that's why the Z is not taken seriously. I think they called it a piece of junk. Those were both jokes. Gee never heard of a "G" nose. If they wanted to stick something out of the hood then how about 4 webers on there SBC. Whats with those fender mirrors and that thing they called a grill. What a sham of a show. Made me feel like my Z is on par with an Astro van.
    HLS30-143697 1973 110 ORANGE
    Period correct performance restoration
    Sanyo Sport kit induction, Datsun Comp exhaust. Datsun Comp internals. "C" grind cam
    Mallory DP ignition W/ Pertronix kit. Koni struts, Koni RallySport springs. Euro rear sway bar
    Who said they don't build em like they use to.

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

What do you expect when one of judges is from "Pimp my Ride" and another is George Barris, the guy that "built" the Sony and Cher mustangs in the 60's. Some of his great work on those cars were the paint trays stuck to the hood, the plastic florescent light screens for grills and the fantasy fur interiors.

The sad part was to have Greg from MSA come on at the end and say the winning car (which was the biggest POS) was "nothing short of remarkable"

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4964

Was it me or was the left front wheel on the red one bent?
    Dave C, Putnam, NY
    NYZCC - Membership Director

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Quote Originally Posted by cygnusx1 View Post
    Was it me or was the left front wheel on the red one bent?
    Something was definitely wrong with it, but more likely the clowns didn't install the suspension correctly than a bent new wheel though.

Here are some pictures of the "winner" (white), the 2nd place car (red), and the two losers (the clean 73's that got butchered).

-Mike
    Last edited by Mike B; 03-16-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-18530

well, i think that if there is anything we can learn from this, its that a decent car can't be done in 72 hours... at least in their hands. On the bright side, at least nothing was done to the red car that cant be undone..
    Resto in progress:
    1972 HLS30-73872

Member ID
    CZCC-23428

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    What do you expect when one of judges is from "Pimp my Ride" and another is George Barris, the guy that "built" the Sony and Cher mustangs in the 60's.

-Mike
    You don't like Sonny and Cher?

Seriously, it's reality TV. Did anyone expect an actual car show?
    Dean

Formerly known as Koalia Reverend's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-20168

Ugh.. i think i feel sick after i saw picture of 2 beautiful Z's destroyed..
    -72 240Z "Goldie"

Member ID
    CZCC-10092

Is it just me, or does the winner look like Speed Racer's car? I was also pretty disappointed in the show and the results. My wife's nephew met George Barris at some car show several years ago. He mentioned to Barris that I had a 240Z that I raced in the SCCA. Barris told him that he had always liked the 240Z, that it had really nice lines. Apparently, time and TV dollars have changed his tune.

Member ID
    CZCC-16744

Hey cut George a little slack for the great customs he and his brother Sam did in the 40s and early 50s . Here is a link to the early history of the Barris brothers. Take the time to read the story. its really quite interesting.

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Barris

Sam was the real talent. Unfortunately he died in the mid 50s . You can tell when just by looking at the changes in the cars produced by the Barris shop. George will be George ever the promoter. Age is taking its toll on him and I'm surprised he keeps the schedule he does.
    Larry

www.picasaweb.google.com/wgmauto

www.wgmauto.com

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

The Speed Racer car won?! Geesh, it looks utterly stupid.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-19498
    308 Palmetto Avenue Melbourne Florida 32901

Thumbs down

Well I began watching it not expecting much, as a matter of fact I was flipping back and forth between the basketball game. I believe it took more than 72 hours personally but they try to make the audience believe it was 72 hours. At least the challengers car still looked like a Z. Overall I considered it a GROSS waste of time ,money,effort, and TV time.
    "HAPPINESS"....isn't just around the corner......"HAPPINESS"....is the CORNER"

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285
    Blog Entries

I could not watch this. did you guys happen to see the faces of the people after they showed them it was a Datsun. They were like, 'what the hell a datsun'. These are musclehead guys only, and they only know V motors. The only real talent on either team is the painters. The rest are just bolt on monkeys. The only thing they showcase is the talents of the painters, the interior guys an the body work folks. The engines are plug and play. In essence this is just a build your own lego car show.

It would have been better if they had a V8 and an L6 to choose from.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

Member ID
    CZCC-22023

I missed the beginning when they did the engines...what were they?

Barris had a comment I didn't much like after his test drive: " It's still a Datsun"! ouch!

they both looked like crap... " I like the carbon fiber..." he said. it looked pretty garrish to me...those round brake lights....

the white z had completely become a fantasy car....had no Z value to me.....

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

I DVR'd it but have not watched it yet. I think I will pretend it never happened and erase it.
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285
    '78 280 10:1 CR, Arizona Z Car header, urethane bushings, Tokico springs, Illumina struts, Panasports w/Hankook R-S2 225/50R16 tires, Maxima 105 amp alternator
    http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...00&ppuser=7975
    '74 260Z BRE look-alike crap can for Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series Racing racing
    https://www.facebook.com/Jeff.Grauer

Member ID
    CZCC-17660

UTTER CRAP. I could have bondoed an air dam smooth, filled in marker light holes and screwed up the interior just as fast when I was 16 years old.

Member ID
    CZCC-16335

It is a travesty to see two perfectly nice 240z go through that butchery!

This and other car shows like it are all crap. I am constantly disappointed by the fact that they make it about the people drama. I have yet to see a car show where I am actually pleased with the results. All these shows are about extremes and showing the worst in people. None of which I am interested in; otherwise, I would watch Days of our Lives or Survivor or any other show that showcases the stereotypical stupidity!

HD Theater started nicely, but recently is getting more and more of these useless shows.

Shows like West Coast Customs, Unique Whips, Battle of the Supercars, Pinks, etc. are an insult to true car enthusiast. I understand why they have these shows since Speed became a NASCAR only channel and I imagine they’re targeted for NASCAR fans.

I only watch Goodwood festival, Top Gear (UK of course), Wheeler Dealer & What’s my car worth from time to time… I used to watch the Canadian show (can’t remember name) and that was rather ok.
    Last edited by Marco69; 03-17-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-14933

I too watched the show and was very dissapointed in how they modified the two cars. Having watched this show once before I had prepared myself that they were going to do some sort of extreme builds. So I guess I set my expectations pretty low before the show started. Having done that, it was worse that what I expected. I agree the opening comments when they revealed the cars were 240Z's were disturbing to me.

We should start an email campaign to the shows producers and let them know how we felt about this particular episode and the disservice they did to a great car.

Off topic, but Chasing Classic Cars on HD channel is a great car show. It is a genuine car enthusiast show and the host Wayne Carrini is a great down to earth guy. The show airs at 10:00 PM EST on Tuesdays.
    Last edited by mgmoreau; 03-17-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

Havn't seen this ,but I hope I do, if it ever comes down here.

Brian.

Member ID
    CZCC-22617

It gave me an idea on how to create my next project: 1958 Ferrari 500 Testa Rossa replica.

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Quote Originally Posted by TriDawgn View Post
    On the bright side, at least nothing was done to the red car that cant be undone..
    The only reason they didn't screw up the red car more is the group (I won't call them a team) that worked on it was so inept they didn't have any time to modify the exterior much. They wanted to do some widebody modifications to it. Scared to guess what that would have turned out like .

Quote Originally Posted by 240zdave View Post
    Is it just me, or does the winner look like Speed Racer's car?
    I think that was their design plan. They said they wanted to turn it into a cartoon race car.

To do the "body work" on the white car they used expandable foam over a couple of metal rods, and then shaped it and fiberglassed it. Top notch work.

Shows like this only make it that much harder to get respect for the 240Z and Datsuns in general.

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

I deleted it of the DVR. After reading this thread, I couldn't force myself to watch it.
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285
    '78 280 10:1 CR, Arizona Z Car header, urethane bushings, Tokico springs, Illumina struts, Panasports w/Hankook R-S2 225/50R16 tires, Maxima 105 amp alternator
    http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...00&ppuser=7975
    '74 260Z BRE look-alike crap can for Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series Racing racing
    https://www.facebook.com/Jeff.Grauer

Member ID
    CZCC-8500

Quote Originally Posted by george71z View Post
    Watching this travesty. I am getting physically ill. These clowns have absolutely NO RESPECT for the Z. They should have used a K-car. I just wonder what they do with all the parts they stripped off.
    Okay, since no one else is going to say it than I will. Nothing will change my mind about this either since I have observed this too many times over the years. There is a general disliking and/or jealousy (dare I say "prejudice") against Japanese and/or most foreign cars in North America. Owners of domestic "muscle cars" tend to express this feeling more than others. They tend to think they have a hierarchy in the automotive world that no one else can penetrate. This is what drew me to the Z in the first place and its beautiful lines, of course.

Member ID
    CZCC-1730

johnnyt, I agree, but have an amusing story for you. Back in the early '70s, when the Japanese cars were still in their infancy in America, so to speak, a big boss where I worked was a retired Marine, WW II vet, and had plastered his rear bumper with Semper Fie, and various other U.S.M.C. bumper stickers. His car, ? A Toyota sedan. Seemed just a bit ironic.
    72 240-- stock motor and drivetrain, 50,500 orig. miles

Member ID
    CZCC-16986

I made it to the point where Ryan Templeton referred to the 240Z as "junk" and got so mad that I had to turn it off. I've never really been into muscle cars but I would never refer to a 69 Mustang fastback or a 69 Camaro RS/SS as "junk", as a car guy I can appreciate the form of these cars and their place in automotive history.
    Indy Z Car Club

2004 350Z Roadster
    1983 280ZXT
    1981 280ZXT
    1970 240Z HLS30-4587

We are the people our parents warned us about!

Member ID
    CZCC-14933

Quote Originally Posted by signal34 View Post
    I made it to the point where Ryan Templeton referred to the 240Z as "junk" and got so mad that I had to turn it off. I've never really been into muscle cars but I would never refer to a 69 Mustang fastback or a 69 Camaro RS/SS as "junk", as a car guy I can appreciate the form of these cars and their place in automotive history.
    Amen to that signal!

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I will have to say I was speechless when I saw the finished white car, only because i was busy filling up my trash can with BARF. I wasn't too crazy about the red car either. If the red car team was bunch of "pros" who work on megabuck imports all day long, it sort of explains how they didn't do so well putting in the V8, and I really think the interior person wasn't even part of the real team, just somebody they grabbed at the last minute.

I saw Car Warriors a week or so ago, when the TV guide said it was the 240Z but all I saw was a couple newer Monte Carlos, which looked kinda nice with only a new engine and some fresh paint and interior. they looked like they were almost new.

OTOH, I was chatting with the Hybrids guys while the show was on the other night, and we all agreed that the show was "fixed." I could never believe some wrench monkeys could have drawn that car design so easily, or done the body work that well.

If you want to see a vehicle show where everybody gets along and they build nice vehicles, try Truck-U, chop-Cut-Rebuild, or some of those Sunday morning shows.

If someone wants to start an email campaign to end or fix up the show, I'm in.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 03-18-2011 at 01:10 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Member ID
    CZCC-15937

Well said folks, let's just remember that this has very little to do with the cars and more to do with the manufactured "drama" that is the bait for the audience. Don't get sucked in to it and get all emotional about it.

I was initially very excited to see what these "pros" would do to a couple of zs in 72 hrs. Sadly, I got carried away with the fantasy and was promptly grounded (should I say "floored") with the reality of the show's 72-hour limitation.

They are not out to convert anyone, least of all fans of the z, they are simply playing to their target audience...

Member ID
    CZCC-17660

Ever heard the horror stories about "what the P.O. did to the car" before you got a hold of it?. Well the people on that show are the P.O.s They suck, period.

Member ID
    CZCC-8500

Quote Originally Posted by george71z View Post
    johnnyt, I agree, but have an amusing story for you. Back in the early '70s, when the Japanese cars were still in their infancy in America, so to speak, a big boss where I worked was a retired Marine, WW II vet, and had plastered his rear bumper with Semper Fie, and various other U.S.M.C. bumper stickers. His car, ? A Toyota sedan. Seemed just a bit ironic.
    Good story, the thing that I have difficulty understanding is this. Just about anyone who sees my car thinks it is gorgeous and I often get people salivating when they see it. Many even mistake it for a domestic muscle car as mentioned by others as well on this site. It all leads to the fact that it is "not domestic" which is creating the idiotic hate from some of these so called "car people". I also find that some people get so fixated with a particular make that they lose focus. Although I love my Z, I also like the look of Mustangs, Corvettes and several exotics and will comment in a positive way when a vehicle deserves it. In conclusion, I have found Z owners to be the most friendly and open minded of any other car owner(s).

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

I was browsing last night and caught the last 30 seconds of this show, nver even heard of the Speed channel before last night. I caught a glimpse of the red car and thought, cool a Z. I set the DVR to catch the 1 am showing and got home tonight to watch it.

Needless to say I was dissapointed. Both builds were crap, the white one for obvious reasons, the red one not as much. The finish on both were terrible, orange peel, gaps, etc. The best part of the show was the unveiling of the 2 donor cars, they looked nice in primer gray!

I will go back to watching other car shows. I do enjoy Chasing Classic Cars, Mecums Auction, Motor Week and that english show mentioned in an earlier post.
    1977 280Z
    I'm great at taking my Z apart, putting it back together has been a whole different story.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

The new show starts tomorrow night (Wed, Mar 23) on the Discovery channel. From the previews, it looks like a better show than car warriors, but we will see for sure.

I kinda miss Junkyard Wars, where they built interesting stuff that actually works from what you find in the junkyard.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

Since the days of Rome. 'What can we do to entertain the masses for profit?' lol

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

I forgot to put down the one "reality" car show that I really do enjoy watching, Overhaulin' with Chip Foose. Great storylines and awesome builds, the guy is fantastic.

I dream of the day I come home to find my "project" stolen for the TV Show...
    Chip, you reading this??

Its either that, or when my 10 yr old becomes a major league ball player he told me he will pay Mr. Foose to rebuild my car..

Like I said before, Chip, you reading this?
    1977 280Z
    I'm great at taking my Z apart, putting it back together has been a whole different story.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I would never let that guy even touch my car. My car would look really ugly with 23 inch wheels and pink pastel paint. After arresting those guys as accessories to a felony theft, I would have to have it overhauled back to normal. Yeesh.

BTW- Speed is showing the 240Z show AGAIN. To add insult to injury, I'll bet, I just heard the one guy say "EVERY RACE CAR HAS TWO STRIPES DOWN THE CENTER!"

After this is the next Car Warriors- '79 Cadillac! Maybe they'll put Semi-tractor exhaust stacks and a fifth-wheel on that?
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-21059

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G 78 View Post
    I deleted it of the DVR. After reading this thread, I couldn't force myself to watch it.
    Jeff, you saved yourself an hour of grief. Watching the "all stars" saying bad things of a 240z was almost as sickening as watching them hack away at it and make a mockery of it. Let's turn it into a cartoon? I guess the Z didn't have enough curves... At least the challengers didn't deviate too far from a hybrid Z, although I don't understand why they must always use V-8s.

I woke up to watch it at 5 am here on the west coast to watch it, and let's just say its not good to start your day PO'd. This was the first time I saw this "Car Warriors" (more like monsters) and the last time!
    Last edited by Decoy12; 03-24-2011 at 04:30 PM.
    -Michael

HLS30-58745

Member ID
    CZCC-20373

Default show fixed

There is no way the clowns with the white car could do that much structure and fabrication to support that stupid body in the time allowed. If you watch the time frame when it went into the paint both they must have had super fast dry paint cus the paint job alone would have taken to long. We need someone like Chip Foose to do his rendition of a zedd.
    bob

Member ID
    CZCC-1420

What a bunch of hacks.......I started to get dry heeves. Where do they find these people....at the unemployment office!!? Shows like this are a sign of the times, a sad time.

Tom

Member ID
    CZCC-18153

I am with the group, what a waste of time energy and two pretty rust free cars. Made me throw up a little in my mouth, and that was the red car. The white one is too many speed racer cartoons but too many people.

Pimp my ride guy as a judge WTF?, Barris is a has been and has been for years. I think Jimmy Shine has talent but it is wasted on this show.

Overhaulin is ok, Rides was way better. Thank goodness we get F1 back this weekend. JMHO, YMMV, Richard.

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

I agree with the Chip Foose rendering of a Z. While some of his stuff is a bit over the top, I have seen a few episodes where the Overhaul was a bit more laid back. He always ask the "victims" significant other what the plans were for the car, color, etc.

I will say no matter if you like his taste or not, you would have to agree that he does some great work. The detail is great, fit and finish superb.

Chip, come steal my car, I will be sure to tell my wife what color I wanted it, leather, engine, top of the line suspension...forget the 23 inch rims, 16 will do just fine : )
    1977 280Z

Member ID
    CZCC-20373

the supposed "all stars" just proved you can take the Billy out of the hill but you cannot take the hill out of the billy ( no insult intended to my friends in the southern states)
    bob

Still Z 1
    Member ID
    CZCC-23596

As was previously mentioned in this thread, I wanna know what happened to all of the perfectly good parts that these clowns stripped off... Absolutely sickening. I'm confident that Speed's demographic i.e. Larry the Cable Guy and his cousins positively loved this horrific display. "Yeah Boys, chop up them there ferrin cars!!! YEEHAAAW! cheers, Scott

Member ID
    CZCC-23312

after reading this im glad i opted out from watching the garbage
    Luke - '71 240Z - '90 S13 - '01 GroceryGetter AKA IS300

Member ID
    CZCC-19940

I was going to watch this until I saw some pictures. What a joke. It's really an example of stick with what you know. The guys that built the white car are tallented but not tallented enough to move away from muscle cars. That would have been fine as a prop for a Dr Seuss movie... seriously what were they thinking?
    "Rachel" - 1972 Datsun 240Z
    "Kayla II" - 1983 Datsun 280ZX
    "Unnamed" - 1983 Datsun 280ZX Turbo
    "Unnamed" - 1993 Nissan 300ZX Convertible
    "Zathina" - 2009 Nissan 370Z 6MT PB Touring Sport

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

There is a new Car Warriors coming up on Wednesday night. Despite the recent lawsuit by SKJ customs ( from the '79 Lincoln show) it looks like the All-Stars are still in the show...
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-26742

What was the thing the all stars (red team) used for making the final body of their car. As in which substance did they use?

Member ID
    CZCC-16773

There were a few other car shows mentioned here. If you really want to see a bad rebuilding show, check the "Desert Car Kings" out. I am a hotrod classic nut case - I have a 67 Camaro, every time this show is up, I feel the pain for the person who is about to purchase one of their 'rebuilds' at the auction.

The idea of the show is to portray the owners of the car junk yard picking a project to quickly rebuild it and make some quick cash using their junk yard engines, frames etc. In addition they own a towing business.

The paint prep is horrible, I remember seeing the remainder of the rust on the surface before they sprayed it. As long as the engine's oil dip stick shows clean oil, they re-use the engine. I would be really afraid to drive a car with such poor craftsmanship.

I do agree with Chip's dedication and honest work that goes into his projects during the 'Overhaulin' shows. If the frame shows rust, they bead blast it, cut out the worst pieces etc. I did try to convince my wife to contact the show producers and suggest my 67 for an overhaul :-) The taxes owed past the show scared both of us.
    - 1976 280Z
    - 1967 Camaro RS

Member ID
    CZCC-22534

Default Not just cars

Motor City Casino Foose design the renowned designer behind some of the most famous vehicles of the past
    decade and the star of the popular TLC series "Overhaulin'," has joined MotorCity Casino's (MCC)
    expansion project as a design consultant.

Foose will bring his award-winning design talent to Detroit to help make the permanent MCC a unique
    and cutting-edge entertainment, conference and resort venue.

"We are thrilled that Foose has agreed to partner with MCC on our expansion project," said Gregg
    Solomon, chief executive officer, MCC. "His auto design roots bring an energetic and distinctive artistic
    perspective to the project that will illustrate America's - and specifically Detroit's - infatuation with the
    automobile."

As evidenced by his numerous awards and distinctions, Foose has consistently defied design norms.
    His role in the design of the MotorCity Casino and hotel will continue this tradition. "The expanded
    MotorCity Casino property will definitely offer 'must see' design elements for all visitors to the area,"
    said Rhonda Cohen, chief operating officer, MCC. "Our goal is to effectively capture the very best of
    Detroit's automotive history, coupled with a vision of the best that is yet to be realized."

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Would you expect to see the 15-foot wheels on that, or the 25-foot wheels?
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-21059

Does anyone want a car warrior souvenir?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...853341758.html
    -Michael

HLS30-58745

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

It even had headers. Maybe they should've kept the original engine and just painted the car?
    Drive Responsibly.

Thread Information