View Poll Results: I would only consider a pair of chrome stips if:

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Priced between $20-30 (before shipping & handling)

9 28.13%
  • Priced between $30-40 (before shipping & handling)

6 18.75%
  • Priced between $40-50 (before shipping & handling)

8 25.00%
  • Less than $90 (before shipping & handling)

9 28.13%

Thread: 240Z chrome taillamp strips

Member ID
    CZCC-7301

Default 240Z chrome taillamp strips

Does anyone have a closeup photo of left and right chrome strips, removed from the housing?

There is a local Metro parts supplier (Kip Motor Co http://www.kipmotor.com/) who will custom fabricate parts. Their craftsmanship is fantastic, priced accordingly.

I offer to contact them to determine the feasibility of making the strips.

Please vote in the poll if you are interested in a pair. I want to get an ideal of the level of interest before I spend Kip's or my time on the project.

Keith

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

Can you please post a pic of the part you are talking about?

Member ID
    CZCC-14126

Sign me up for 4 pair.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7600346077563/

70, 71, 2 72's, and a 73 240z....
    90 300zx and a 1996 Acura NSX.....but who's counting?

Member ID
    CZCC-23726

Hmmm yeah I dont know what your talking about either. if youve got pictures that would help.
    --1977 Datsun 280z--

Member ID
    CZCC-8151

Thumbs up This has potential on many fronts---

Thanks for this post Keith!
    After cruising through their website using your link, it is readily apparent that these people know what they are doing and could assuredly produce just about anything we, in the Z community, could throw their way.
    The real question is affordablity. Group purchase is the only way this will fly and Diseazd is leading the way.

I'll commit to 4 pair as well.

Who's next!

If this happens,I can think of many heretofor "unobtainum" that might have a chance at resurrection into existance. Fingers crossed I am,

Jim D.
    "Zup"

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

I'd like to commit to 2 pair
    '72 Fairlady 240Z-L - HS30-10052, Imported in 1973 from Yokota Airbase
    '70 240Z - HLS30-19927, History in SCCA CP & Trans-Am, ICSCC CIP, IMSA GTU
    '77 Porsche 930 Turbo Carrera - Black on black
    '13 Subaru BRZ Limited - Daily Driver

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Are you talking about the "chrome" plated plastic bezel around each tail light? If this will also fit a 280, I'm in. I'd spend $90 for a pair, sure.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-7301

I have been to their shop on several occasions. (I have had to purchase parts for my 520 truck motor from them.) Very knowledgeable people. They have some examples of their metal fabrication on display; gas caps, hood ornaments, vent pulls, emblems, door handles, the list is endless.

I have no idea the time frame or cost related to the parts they fabricate. Here is the direct link to their processes: http://www.kipmotor.com/Parts/Metal_castings.htm
    Keith

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Are we talking metal or plastic?

I'd be up for 2 pair of plastic, one to use soon (need to disassemble and clean my car's lights), and one pair as spares. If the replacements were metal, probably only need a single pair.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-8151

Arrow Here's some pics Keith---

Not the best, but will give a pretty good idea of where the original sproules were located. They served as injection points into the mold and as attachment points for installing the finished trim on the lense. The trim is held in place by a steel spring pushnut which fits over the center sproule.
    The originals were vaccuum chrome plated plastic and the stripe is a flat black paint applied to the chrome, apparently by brush.

HTH

Jim D.

"Zup"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tailight.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	41419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrome strip profile.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	41420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strip backside.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	41421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closeup of sproules-attachment points.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	41422  

Member ID
    CZCC-7301

I hadn't thought of plastic, since then we would have to include a plastic chrome plate facility in the process.
    I would only pursue this project if I could find one fabricator who can manufacture the finished project, ie. a turn-key solution.
    Does anyone know the production dates (or model years) of the metal and plastic variations?
    Keith

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

There were no metal versions, to the best of my knowledge. All 240Z lights used the plastic trim. My question above was based on the assumption that the repros might not be the same material as original.

Member ID
    CZCC-8151

Default There is no "metal variation"---

All 240Z years used the same tailight (69-73) and are completly interchangable.
    I am more interested in plastic (or more likely a plateable modern resin formulation) than metal for authenticity, but if the group differs I am still game. Discussion with Kipmotor.com should resolve quickly the pros and cons for either approach with consideration given to cost and durability.

My 2c---

Jim D.
    "Zup"

You're quicker than this bunny Arne!
    Last edited by Zup; 03-25-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by Zup View Post
    All 240Z years used the same tailight (69-73) and are completly interchangable.
    I am more interested in plastic (or more likely a plateable modern resin formulation) than metal for authenticity, but if the group differs I am still game. Discussion with Kipmotor.com should resolve quickly the pros and cons for either approach with consideration given to cost and durability.

My 2c---

Jim D.
    "Zup"

You're quicker than this bunny Arne!
    Quick is as quick does....

Actually, while the chrome trim strips were all the same, there was a difference between the Series 1 North American tail lights and the later 240Z lights. The early lights had a different part number and the red plastic was a bit deeper in color. That doesn't affect a possible trim repro project, but it should be noted here for accuracy.

I'm torn between metal or plastic on these. Plastic (or resin) would be more authentic, but plated metal would be more durable. In fact, it might be nice if (regardless of material) a replacement could have threaded posts for mounting, rather than smooth for spring clips. Considering the constant issue of discoloration inside the lights from exhaust gases, the ability to disassemble them for cleaning inside would be a big plus.
    Last edited by Arne; 03-25-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    I'm torn between metal or plastic on these. Plastic (or resin) would be more authentic, but plated metal would be more durable. In fact, it might be nice if (regardless of material) a replacement could have threaded posts for mounting, rather than smooth for spring clips. Considering the constant issue of discoloration inside the lights from exhaust gases, the ability to disassemble them for cleaning inside would be a big plus.
    Id want plastic the mounting stems are thin. To mold it in metal it would need to be a pot metal so it wouldn't be any stronger, and you would have more weight since it's metal is heavier. Metal would have a better finish and would less likely warp. However a more modern plastic will less likely warp, stronger and plastic chrome seems to have gotten better. I agree a stud and nut would be nice touch, however I'd stick with the old method

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

I had four sets of the trim strips rechromed a couple years ago, so I don't need any more. I can't recall exactly what they cost but I think it was more than $100 per pair, so if you can get reproductions made for less than $90 it would be cheaper than having them rechromed. Also, if you rechrome originals the fine horizontal lines in the middle need to be in good shape or they will loose their detail after the chroming.

Eprist had complete reproduction taillight sets made. I mentioned to him that people would be interested in just buying the chrome strips if he sold them separately, but he never addressed that for some reason. It's too bad, since they looked like they were really good quality (in the pictures he posted).

As for mounting the trim strips, I just used "Automotive Goop" (yes that is the what it is called). That stuff will hold them forever. I just reused the putty-like original material that holds the lens to the housing, since mine was still in really good shape. Since I don't have the clips in the back I can take the lens off and clean it again if I ever need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Actually, while the chrome trim strips were all the same, there was a difference between the Series 1 North American tail lights and the later 240Z lights. The early lights had a different part number and the red plastic was a bit deeper in color. That doesn't affect a possible trim repro project, but it should be noted here for accuracy.
    Arne I agree the chrome strips are all the same (none were ever metal). The early lens may be slightly darker, but it is hard to tell and I am not sure that the part number is a good identifier. Early North American market lights are all marked 220-24152 (L or R depending on the side) and most of the later lights are marked 220-24166 (L or R depending on the side). However, I have also seen some later lights marked 220-24152 that are not darker like the early ones. My 5/72 production car has a 220-24152 on the left side and 220-24166 on the right and they both look the same to me (see pictures of the red car below). There is a way to differentiate the early North American market lights though. On all three of my 1969 production cars the only markings are the ones on the bottom of the lens (220-24152 Koito Japan SAE STIR 69) and the markings on the left and right side of the flat rectangular piece in the upper part of the lens. Later lenses have other markings on the outboard side of the lenses (left side on the left lens and right side on the right lens) and some more markings on the flat rectangular piece. I've also attached some pictures of the early lenses from HLS30-00032 after I installed the rechromed trim strips.

-Mike

Name:	DSCN3988.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	41423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3994.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	41424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3993.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	41425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3171.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	41426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3175.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	41428  

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

I'd take at least 4 sets - metal would be better. In any case accurate fit would be most important.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-23509

Quote Originally Posted by Zup View Post
    Not the best, but will give a pretty good idea of where the original sproules were located. They served as injection points into the mold and as attachment points for installing the finished trim on the lense. The trim is held in place by a steel spring pushnut which fits over the center sproule.
    The originals were vaccuum chrome plated plastic and the stripe is a flat black paint applied to the chrome, apparently by brush.

HTH

Jim D.

"Zup"
    I commenting with the best intention.
    For clarification: "sprue"
    I only offer the correct spelling to help with accurate searches in the future, even though the word, sprue, may not come often, if ever.

I found this elsewhere (don't remember..)
    The restore/repair and plate plastic AND potmetal-
    http://www.customcoatings.net/index.html

HLS30 371-239 (1/77)
    Every time he touched her, she told him that places where she wanted to be more beautiful!
    Mr.Tamura said it is like an old craftsman of Buddha statue,he did not creat it, Buddha itself...
    Kats

FSM: http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html
    EFI "bible" : http://www.4moores.com/280z/files/280zfuelinjectionbook.pdf

Member ID
    CZCC-10997

I'd take a set if they can be posted to Australia.

Member ID
    CZCC-12190

I'de take two pair without question. Should be a winner.
    -----------------------------------------
    Jim
    73 240Z HLS30 149331
    69 510 PL510 77603

www.zKars.com
    www.calgaryzclub.ca
    Reference materials
    www.xenonS30.com

240 Z Owner/Nut Case dhoneycutt's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4557

I'd like 2 pair also! I prefer metal just do to what was said before about durability etc... I'm not going for concourse restoration (oops did I say the "R" word?)
    David A. Honeycutt
    United States Air Force, Retired

1972 Datsun 240Z HLS3079961
    A Work in Progress

2004 Mazda 6s
    2009 BMW 535xi

The Only Difference Between Men & Boys... Is The Price Of Their Toys!

Member ID
    CZCC-3986

Put my name on 4 pairs I am still thinking about the Metal versus Plastic but i am leaning toward Plastic .

I would guess Esprit didn't sell the strips separate because it would eliminate a lot of sales of the complete light sets . The Chrome strips are all my lights need to look new .

Member ID
    CZCC-17783

I'd take a pair as well.

Member ID
    CZCC-23233

I'm in for one pair.
    Keith
    1970 240z - Stock - HLS30-04642

Member ID
    CZCC-3356

Do we have an idea as to the pricing yet? I would not commit to too many if the price were to be $90.
    '70 240Z - HLS30-08215 - Production Date 8/70
    '70 240Z - HLS30-06293 - Rusty and has Identity Crisis (must have been wrecked and the back 1/2 sectioned in from a later car maybe even a 280Z)...PARTS CAR!
    '71 240Z - HLS30-018482 - Production Date 1/71,Corvette Yellow, driven under a 4Runner, bought for parts, hit lotto with parts on car, may fix and put back on road

My Photo Gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-7301

I plan to vist with Kipmotors after April 15th. (Unfortunately, my business commitments don't allow me to get over to see Kip before then.)

Member ID
    CZCC-7301

Dropped of a pair of taillamp strips at Kip Motors for their examination. I whould have a proposal in the next week or so on the cost of reproduction.

Member ID
    CZCC-7454

Will be waiting to hear from you on this.
    JLP
    Jerry Purcell
    1970 HLS30 00029 Owner since 1976 Now owned by Les Canaday (Classic Datsun Motorsports)
    1972 HLS30 93606 IZCC Registion #105 Original owner back home after full restoration by Classic Datsun Motorsports

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

Quote Originally Posted by JLPurcell View Post
    Will be waiting to hear from you on this.
    JLP
    I think we all will be. I don't know a Z that couldn't use a new set.
    Last edited by ajmcforester; 05-07-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-7454

I have four sets of near perfect taillights, the only fault being that these strips need a refresh. I had some re-chromed it was expensive and not of quality. I was going to send them out again but will wait to see if this comes to fruition.
    JLP
    Jerry Purcell
    1970 HLS30 00029 Owner since 1976 Now owned by Les Canaday (Classic Datsun Motorsports)
    1972 HLS30 93606 IZCC Registion #105 Original owner back home after full restoration by Classic Datsun Motorsports

Member ID
    CZCC-17819

I'd take 2 sets.

Member ID
    CZCC-16944

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'd be interested in a pair if under $60.

Also, a minor mystery solved! A couple of years ago I bought a pair of tail lamps from a Z being parted out. Oddly, I bought them because I thought the the chrome was in better shape. Turned out, half and half. I replaced the right side with a "new" light but retained my existing left side light. Stepping back to admire my handiwork, I thought the the color was a little different on the "new" light. Even after using a clear plastic conditioner the 'new' one seemed, well, a darker red. Reading the thread I decided to go out and check and found that the right. darker red light is a 220-24152R and the markings (or rather, lack thereof) match up with Mike B.'s pictures of his 1969's light while all my other lights (two not installed) are the later 220-24166 series.

If nothing else, at least I know that I've not gone crazy.

Chris

Member ID
    CZCC-1901

Mike

I have a 6/72 car and went through chroming the strips a couple of years ago. I bought a spare set of tail lights and had the strips chromed. I believe the left and right chrome strips are different and not interchangeable. The shop had problems plating the old strips because the plastic was degrading and they came out looking like he chromed over a rusted piece. Apparently he tried several times to fill the voids before chroming but the problem does not show up until the process is finished. I would be interested in a set of chrome strips as well

Bob M

Member ID
    CZCC-7301

I visited with Kip today. Here is his assessment; Manufacturing strips out of metal would cost the same as plastic (as original). The metal strips could be chemically dipped chromed as opposed to the method used for the plastic which we all know deteriorates. To create the mold and manufacture the strips w/chroming would be $150 pair; minimum 10 pairs. There is no shelf life to the mold, so presumably another batch could be produced at a later date.
    Based on this cost plus shipping, the interest level at the $90 poll results, and the time to coordinate the project, I think that the project isn't feasible at this time.
    Keith

Member ID
    CZCC-14126

Keith.....How many pair are needed to get the price down to $100.00 a pair? I'll take one pair at $150.00 if that helps get the ball rolling. Anyone else? If the next batch is cheaper, I'll take more. Guy

Member ID
    CZCC-7301

Guy,
    I do not think making more than 10 in a batch will lower the price. Kip Motors does excellent work, however it is all hand labor, so there are no economies of scale to be achieved with larger batches.
    Keith

HL S30 151764
    Member ID
    CZCC-19963

Zed2, thanks for taking the time to research this issue for everyone. To be honest, for some time I've been contemplating doing exactly what you proposed. During my thought process, however, I realized that remanufacturing them in plastic was only putting the same problem back on, plus, a more expensive plastic chrome process is required for exterior pieces than for interior ones. The ideal solution would be to make these parts out of metal, but cutting them out of solid stock using a CNC machine would be pretty costly. Low cost casting using aluminum, or pot metal would be a nice compromise, but chrome doesn't always adhere well to those materials either and they can become affected by exhaust gases and corrode too.

Here's my latest evolution on this. The goal is to replace the lost metalization from the plastic substrate in the most cost effective and durable manner. I believe it would be much easier to use a press to stamp a metal "appliqué" between two dies to replicate the surface and textures of the strip. This appliqué would then be adhesively affixed to the tail lamp strips still mounted on the car. In this way no disassembly of the lens is required and the cosmetic issue is addressed, permanently. The appliqués can be stamped out of thin stainless steel stock to resist corrosion and shipped in pairs to owners along with adhesive and installation instructions.
    Criticisms are welcome.

Member ID
    CZCC-7454

Keith,
    If the part is indistinguishable from the original I would still possibly be interested. jlp
    Jerry Purcell

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Quote Originally Posted by pwd View Post
    The appliqués can be stamped out of thin stainless steel stock to resist corrosion and shipped in pairs to owners along with adhesive and installation instructions.
    Criticisms are welcome.
    Sounds sort of like the dash cap solution, but stamped instead of vacuum formed. I'm guessing the labor, dies, and stamping press will bring the price near the $150 price mentioned in the other solution mentioned above.

The vendor for replica early Z lenses that are currently available could probably provide a more cost effective solution if willing to sell just the chrome strips. Certainly, this is a part many of us would buy if the quality and price were right.
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-7454

Quote Originally Posted by zed2 View Post
    I visited with Kip today. Here is his assessment; Manufacturing strips out of metal would cost the same as plastic (as original). The metal strips could be chemically dipped chromed as opposed to the method used for the plastic which we all know deteriorates. To create the mold and manufacture the strips w/chroming would be $150 pair; minimum 10 pairs. There is no shelf life to the mold, so presumably another batch could be produced at a later date.
    Based on this cost plus shipping, the interest level at the $90 poll results, and the time to coordinate the project, I think that the project isn't feasible at this time.
    Keith
    Keith,
    If the part is indistinguishable from the original I would still possibly be interested. jlp
    Jerry Purcell

Member ID
    CZCC-7454

The biggest problem with restoration parts is willingness of the needy parties to pay what a part is worth. With a limited market proper custom made reproduction parts are going to be pricy. I was quite surprised at the poll results. I don't know how one could expect a proper reproduction part to sell for so little. That is why the parts are not reproduced. JLP
    Jerry Purcell

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Well, our US reproduction tail lights are still on the way.
    Restoroing old lamps are not very productive unless your tail lamp lenses are in great shape with perfect reflectors and backing housing as well.
    We invested over $100K for this project.
    So hold on to your wallet.
    Esprist
    Visit my blog & rare parts from Japan at
    www.jdm-car-parts.com

Member ID
    CZCC-7454

Lightbulb Reproduction Tail Lights

Quote Originally Posted by esprist View Post
    Well, our US reproduction tail lights are still on the way.
    Restoroing old lamps are not very productive unless your tail lamp lenses are in great shape with perfect reflectors and backing housing as well.
    We invested over $100K for this project.
    So hold on to your wallet.
    Holding on!
    A new pair just sold on ebay. Two separate auctions, right sides are still available but it is rare to find a NOS left, and yes I know why the lefts are all gone. I was going to bid on them but I could not get conformation from one of the sellers on the markings on the lens. Collectively they sold for just over $700.00
    I would purchase a set of new for my 72 but I would still want to finish the restoration of the sets I have. I have 3 or 4 sets of near perfect lenses, reflectors and backs needing either refinished strips or replacement strips.
    When the reproduction taillights are available do you think it will be possible to purchase the strips and rubber plugs separately?
    Jerry Purcell

Member ID
    CZCC-7301

Now available:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220-24166Lx800.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	66086

Name:	220-24166Rx800.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	66087

The chrome strips are also available individually.

Link to Kip Motor Company web site:
    Category - Datsun
    Keith
    1970 - 240Z
    1990 - 300ZX (sold Oct 2013)
    1966 - PL520 Truck
    1969 - Patrol L60
    Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/53116286@N07/

Member ID
    CZCC-23207

can anyone confirm the quality of the reproduction in these trim strips?
    ~Chris Tazelaar

05/72 HLS30-081275 L24-102597
    Owner since 07/05

Member ID
    CZCC-12190

Just tried to buy a pair from Kip. $85 each. Got the message "We're sorry, the item you have requested is not currently in stock" when I attempted to add either strip to the basket.

Keith, can you maybe find out what's going on? Or did they all sell out in the last 2 weeks since you posted them as being available?
    Last edited by zKars; 10-10-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Jim
    73 240Z HLS30 149331
    69 510 PL510 77603

www.zKars.com
    www.calgaryzclub.ca
    Reference materials
    www.xenonS30.com

Member ID
    CZCC-18952

I’ve been following this thread for some time, watching to see if someone would reproduce 240Z tail light bars, what the quality would be like and what the cost would be. Several here have promised to make them available, but to date no one has parts in any quantity to sell.

My name is Randy Lewis. I’ve owned many, many early Z’s, 510’s and Roadsters and have been part of the Datsun community for over 20 years. I drive and show my cars frequently. I’m regularly accused of being anal about quality and I’m always complimented on how my cars show. In February, I was encouraged to reproduce 240Z tail lamp bars by local club members. I can personally attest to the cost to reproduce complex parts to OEM quality standards. The cost of the tooling alone is thousands of dollars. This is not a venture for the weak of heart. Never the less, I made the decision to proceed seven months ago.

I determined I would only do this if I could offer OEM or better quality. I’ve forwarded my production samples to several well-known and respected individuals in the Z community (including MotorSport Auto in Orange, CA) to validate production quality. I’ve received a volume of pre-orders based on their assessment. My parts are triple chrome plated and have all the proper mold marks on them, as the tooling was produced from OEM parts I provided my supplier. The black paint fill in the center of the bar is identical to the originals. Each set of bars (left and right) will be shipped in poly bags, complete with the correct push-on fasteners and installation instructions. I guarantee the quality of the parts you receive. If you’re unhappy, you can return them for a full refund within 30 days, less the cost of postage.

• Tail lamp bars sold as a pair (right and left sides)
    • $175 for the pair plus postage
    • $15 flat rate postage anywhere in the U.S. (except bulk orders)
    • Package sent Priority Mail (insured)
    • Orders for 20 or more pair discounted 10%
    • PayPal accepted for payment.
    • Orders accepted immediately
    • Shipping to begin within 10 days

I don’t know how long my initial run will last but I’d encourage you to act fairly quickly as these parts have been in demand for some time and I’ve already committed some of my initial production run. Orders will be received via e-mail at: parallax.randy.lewis@gmail.com

You’ll be advised via e-mail when your order is ready to ship. Order will ship as soon as I receive payment notification from PayPal.

Member ID
    CZCC-12190

E-mail sent!

Fantastic at the price. I suspect you're going to get a few orders....
    Jim
    73 240Z HLS30 149331
    69 510 PL510 77603

www.zKars.com
    www.calgaryzclub.ca
    Reference materials
    www.xenonS30.com

Member ID
    CZCC-18952

Have picture that I will be uploading soon. Currently having some issues but count on them later today.

Member ID
    CZCC-9965

I can attest that the quality is top notch! Randalla has put much time and effort into producing quality tail lamp bars!
    Last edited by duffman; 10-18-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    January 1970 240Z
    HLS3001399

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

This reproduction is already on the market with one of our members from Japan.

12-J4217 Datsun 240Z Tail lamp Center Molding Set - $149.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
    Last edited by Travel'n Man; 10-18-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-14126

I ordered 2 sets from JDM .......they are perfect....I mean perfect.....Beautiful. I also ordered one set from Kip....will report on those when I get them.

Member ID
    CZCC-18952

Default Chrome tail lamp strip photos

Below are the photos I promised earlier.

Name:	20131016_104052.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	66735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131016_104027.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	66736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131016_104257.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	66737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131016_120531.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	66738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131016_104239.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	66739  

Member ID
    CZCC-8151

I too have ordered and received a set from JDM. They are as Guy said "perfect". I am very happy with them. They are now a realization we have been wanting and waiting on for YEARS!

That being said, there are important difference which can be pointed out between these offerings.
    The photos above illustrate the extreme authenticity Randalla has provided. The JDM version does not have the elongated center post, does not have the L and R mold markings as original and does not come ready to install with push nuts as original, nor are there installation instructions provided.
    While I am very happy with my purchase from JDM I will certainly be ordering from Randella as well.
    They simply could not be done better, IMHO!

Thank You JDM and Thank You Randalla for such great work on this important restoration piece you have made available!

Jim D.
    "Zup"
    Last edited by Zup; 10-18-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-24403

Jim,

You are right regarding the "extreme authenticity" that Randy has achieved with his tail light strips. I have had his prototypes in my possession for a few days and can attest to the exact replication of the OEM parts, as well as the detail and finish on his product. As you may know, I, too, have been working on reproducing tail light strips for the 240z. However, I have since abandoned that particular project as my supplier's interpretation of "exact replication" resulted in a product that just didn't meet the standards of authenticity that Randy has achieved with his offering. (who would ever thought that the word "exact" is a relative term???? lol)

Anyway, kudos to Randy for producing such a high quality reproduction of a part that so many of us have been needing for years

Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-18952

Zup, small point, but wanted to let you know how painstakingly my focus on quality was. You may or may not know that the three fastening pins for each bar are two different sizes and as a result so are the push nuts which are included. The two nut sizes are just 1/16" different but I wanted to be sure they were right. Thanks for recognizing the subtleties.

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

If they fit as well as they look, I'm in for a pair. Nice job on a long needed part!
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Debating patina or nice new shine Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00681.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	66775 on my Z
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 10-19-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-18952

Just a reminder that I will begin shipping 240Z tail lamp bars this coming week. If you are interested in ordering, e-mail me at parallax.randy.lewis@gmail.com letting me know how many sets you'd like me to set aside.

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR MAILING ADDRESS.

Before shipping I will send you a PayPal invoice. As soon as I receive payment confirmation from PayPal, your shipment will be in the mail. Thanks guys.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Hi Randy:
    E-Mail sent..
    thanks,
    Carl

Member ID
    CZCC-18952

Thanks for your order Carl. Will get them off to you this week.

Member ID
    CZCC-14126

Received my set of taillight strips from Kip......the strips are molded fine, but the chrome is more like a shiney paint......JDM strips have nice original looking chrome....looks like Randy's are nice too, but haven't seen them in person yet.
    Last edited by Diseazd; 10-23-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-18952

Dennis,

If you're interested, I am beginning to ship parts tomorrow. E-mail me at parallax.randy.lewis@gmail.com

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Thank you very much for your compliment!

Esprist
    Esprist
    www.jdm-car-parts.com

Member ID
    CZCC-14126

Esprist......No problem....you did a beautiful restoration and you shipped immediately....postage paid. I'm thrilled...couldn't be happier....we appreciate everyone's efforts....our cups runneth over!

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Diseazd View Post
    Received my set of taillight strips from Kip......the strips are molded fine, but the chrome is more like a shiney paint......JDM strips have nice original looking chrome....looks like Randy's are nice too, but haven't seen them in person yet.

Our chrome strip is triple chrome, Not vacuum metalizing.
    Triple chrome over plastic is desired for exterior parts!
    Esprist
    www.jdm-car-parts.com

Member ID
    CZCC-18952

If you’re looking for “restoration quality” tail lamp bars for your 240Z, I’m confident these are the best you’ll find. Molds were created from a set of perfect OEM parts. I wanted to be sure all the appropriate mold marks were there (L and R for left and right) and that each part was dimensionally perfect, right down to the length and diameter of the mounting pins. Each part has been triple chrome plated to assure they will standup to the elements. My supplier produces parts for the OEM auto market, so you can be assured of their quality.
    Here are a few pictures of the tail lamp bars ready to ship. Parts are shipped in a poly bag, the fastening hardware loosely attached to the appropriate mounting posts and an instruction sheet is inserted to help with disassembly and reassembly. I carefully inspect and test fit each set with a set of tail lamps, prior to shipping. Poly bags are packed in slightly oversized boxes stuffed with packing material to assure damage free delivery.
    Tail lamp bars are $190 a pair, which includes everything you’ll need to install them. The price also includes shipping anywhere in the U.S. or Canada. E-mail me at: parallax.randy.lewis@gmail.com to order or should you have any questions. I’m offering quantity discounts to retailers or for individual orders over 20 units.

Name:	tail lamp bars 005.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	66981

Member ID
    CZCC-28265

Hi,

My order has arrived (Maine) already. It was promptly shipped and the bars were well packed.

The bars look beautiful and if they fit as well as they look, I'll be delighted.

I should note that a very easy to follow instruction sheet accompanied the bars.

Hats off to Randy!!
    Original Registration and Warranty Card

Original owner of: HLS3018859 (Jan./71) ZCOOR Member # 178

'Storms Never Last'

Member ID
    CZCC-24528

Does anyone make chrome strips for a 260-280. The strips on my left taillight needs replacing.
    Ray
    1974 Datson 260Z
    RLS30-27748 Matching #'s
    L26 Stock w/72 Round Tops
    Interpart Front Spoiler
    Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars
    My Very First Car
    Purchased 5/23/1974

Member ID
    CZCC-24403

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter260Z View Post
    Does anyone make chrome strips for a 260-280. The strips on my left taillight needs replacing.
    Ray,

I'm not aware of anyone reproducing the 260/280 tail light bezels, but I do re-chrome them and do have a few sets of finished bezels available for sale. Feel free to PM me for details and pricing info.

Mike

Thread Information