Thread: Pricing 240z Rally Clock w/ Fully Functioning Oscillator?

Member ID
    CZCC-19951

Default Pricing 240z Rally Clock w/ Fully Functioning Oscillator?

Yes I know it is rare, what is it worth, generally speaking?

If you have an opinion, by all means please share it!

Thanks, Daniel P.

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

Do you have a functioning one you are selling - if you do let me know - I do have an interest in purchasing one.
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-8478

Daniel,

The last one I saw on Ebay went for about $300.00 But in this market Who knows!

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

OK.
    Since I have gone through all 9 yards on rally clocks, this info might be helpful.
    The rally clock is worth around $150-350 by itself with "knob" The knobs are somewhat like 280ZX with analog clock, but different. (If you put a smallest washer and mechine screw from jewelry store, it can be used) The lenses are often cracked and it can be rusty inside even though the dial looks Ok. The most important thing is the working oscillator. I fould out that tt can be repaired at one or 2 places in Japan. (It conists of many resister and it can be repaired if you are lucky for $250-600. You also have to send it in with the clock. (The clock itself has only a motor and gears, but no timing components.)

Now before anything else, please know the following fact about the clock.
    It looks good and everthing, but it also makes a awful laud noise. (I have a NOS rally clock on mine, and still makes a big motor noise) And it also consumes battery energy while it is parked. So I have my car's battery disconnected while it is parked. (If it is parked for a week to 10 days, it could kill your battery)
    If you wish to have them repaired, I will be more than happy to get it fixed in Japan.
    By the way, the callender clock is a good alternative for those of you who want "Rally clock look" on your car. It is traded at farely reasonable price in Japan and they have less issues. Please note that there are 2 versions (early one and late one) buy either one can be fitted as long as you change the connector at the back.
    See my clock here
    http://shop.jdm-car-parts.com/index....&keyword=clock
    Last edited by esprist; 07-03-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    Esprist
    Visit my blog & rare parts from Japan at
    www.jdm-car-parts.com

Member ID
    CZCC-19951

Thank you Esprist, your website was one of the top Google searches so I read your info and thanks for the additional info.

I was wondering about the excess clock motor noise but was expecting the power drain as I had been previously warned about it.

I have a complete clock and oscillator and when they are done being tested and cleaned they are going on eBAY.
    Last edited by dhp123166; 07-03-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8478

Daniel,

Check with Ron Bradley at Zclocks.com.
    He can rebuild them. It's no cheap but he work is outstanding.

Dave Ruiz

Member ID
    CZCC-19951

Quote Originally Posted by Powderkeg View Post
    Daniel,

Check with Ron Bradley at Zclocks.com.
    He can rebuild them. It's no cheap but he work is outstanding.

Dave Ruiz
    I know Ron, we do business together and I agree his work is topnotch. Thus far my clock and oscillator are working since 5:30 PM yesterday. I am not worried about selling it, it is so rare it will sell in pretty much any state unless it is an abject lump of caca (which it most definitely is not).

If the clock ends up not working it makes no sense to have Ron refurbish it and then for me to sell it because like most service people his warranties do not transfer and on a high priced fragile and rare item such as a Z Rally Clock I am assuming a prospective customer would benefit from a warranty in which case it would be more sensible for them to pay for the refurbishing service themselves. And in which case I would most definitely point them in Ron's direction.

Cleaning and polishing I do myself.

Thanks Dave! Happy 4th of July!,

Best Regards,

Daniel P.

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

I do not believe Ron has any replacement parts for the oscillator. I spoke with him last year about that, too.
    What is your price anyway?
    Esprist
    Visit my blog & rare parts from Japan at
    www.jdm-car-parts.com

Member ID
    CZCC-21253

In post number 2 above, Mitchell expressed a desire to purchase the clock directly. Perhaps you should send him a PM before putting the clock on eBay.

Members helping members.
    Gary
    Guardian of HLS30-91415
    Previous Owner of a 10/70 240Z ('83-'85)

Member ID
    CZCC-19951

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    In post number 2 above, Mitchell expressed a desire to purchase the clock directly. Perhaps you should send him a PM before putting the clock on eBay.

Members helping members.
    I pretty much only sell on eBAY now, and with that particular member, I have had issues, involving another for sale item and as they have been rectified, I will not go into them here. Needless to say if he wants it he can bid on it like everyone else. That is fair and equitable.

This clock is going on eBAY shortly in an auction and I am pretty sure the starting auction price will not be the price it sells for.

I will probably never see one of these clocks in this condition again in my lifetime

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

fyi there is a good article HERE on refreshing the standard clocks... change a few caps and transistor then voila.

KEEP THE ARTICLES SECTION GROWING!
    Last edited by Blue; 07-04-2011 at 06:59 AM.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by dhp123166 View Post
    I pretty much only sell on eBAY now, and with that particular member, I have had issues, involving another for sale item and as they have been rectified, I will not go into them here.
    Then why bring it up?
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-19951

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01 View Post
    Then why bring it up?
    I didn't bring it up.

I was answering the person who did.

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I didn't bring it up.

I was answering the person who did.
    Your quote:
    ......and with that particular member, I have had issues......
    Gary didn't say that......
    Last edited by sblake01; 07-04-2011 at 07:43 AM.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-19951

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01 View Post
    Your quote:

Gary didn't say that......
    Most definitely not getting into an online argument, have a safe and sane 4th of July!

Bye!

Blue,
    Thanks for that link but I will not be attempting any kind of repair if the clock needs it.

Goodbye rare and valuable Z Rally Clock! Hello useless pile of microscopic clock guts and sick feeling of failure in pit of stomach!

Thanks, Daniel P.

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Most definitely not getting into an online argument, have a safe and sane 4th of July!

Bye!
    Not trying to argue; just an observation. You do the same!!
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-7349

Default rally clock parts

I couldn't help but chime in with my 2C.
    Contrary to public opinion I do have 99% of the parts for the oscillator, including the ckt bd . As soon as I perfect the last two parts I can build a complete oscillator from scratch. Also, I have lens, those hard to find knobs and knob screws . I'm not into selling parts but use these to refurbish clocks.

The Oscillator is a lot more than just resistors which usually don't go bad. This is 40+ year old TTL /discrete technology and usually needs a lot of TLC, especially as fragile as this clock is. Another problem is TIN whiskers, look this up as to lengthy to describe here, which is a anomaly of component leads that were not SOLDER coated. This is a bigger problem than anything else in my mind. As my wife says "you can improve a princess a lot easier than a beater".

One of the misnomers of the two knob rally clock is that it draws excess battery current. This shouldn't be a problem as the standard clock draws only 12-15mA and the 2- knob rally 30-33mA. If your drawing a lot more than this then you have another problem.

I have a 2-knob rally in my car and the car is lucky if it gets started once a month. I've never had a low battery problem and the car has other devices that draw a lot more than the clock.

Also, excessive motor noise is coming from a worn gear/bearings in the housing. This part is not available anywhere, here or Japan. This is unique to this clock and no substitutions are allowed. Only the original material used is acceptable or you will ruin the mating gears. I make the bearings and working on making the gears.
    Just my 2C worth.
    Ron

Member ID
    CZCC-19951

Ron,
    2c of someone who knows is worth about $10.00 of someone whom does not.

I did revise my eBAY listing to contain some of the key points in your post above.

Thanks, Daniel P.

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

Seeing how Daniel brought all this up................it appears that Daniel is using our site as a platform to generate hype on his ebay item - due to our "issues" in the past with a previous bid that was a misleading description at best - I believe I will pass on this item and ebayer.

I did ask Daniel to respond to me in a PM dealing with this conversation...........no response at all.

Gary - I do agree with you 100% - normally our members do put members first.

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-19951

Quote Originally Posted by Travel'n Man View Post
    Seeing how Daniel brought all this up................it appears that Daniel is using our site as a platform to generate hype on his ebay item - due to our "issues" in the past with a previous bid that was a misleading description at best - I believe I will pass on this item and ebayer.

I did ask Daniel to respond to me in a PM dealing with this conversation...........no response at all.

Gary - I do agree with you 100% - normally our members do put members first.
    You're absolutely right that I am hyping the item I have for sale. I've seen others hype their items here as well so I was under the assumption that it is okay.

You asked me to respond to you concerning a clock sale before anything was ironed out and I was still testing the item and gleaning all possible data to make sure I had all my facts in place to the best of my ability.

It is your prerogative to ignore this item and eBAYer.

And it is my prerogative to not want to be burdened by the subjective expectations of a group.

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

And it is my prerogative to not want to be burdened by the subjective expectations of a group.
    No one is forcing you. As we have the choice, so do you......
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-19516

who ever got it paid ridiculous amount for it

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

So does that mean that he won't have to be 'burdened' by us until he needs to put out feelers for another eBay sale?
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Congrats Daniel! I was watching your auction with interest and am pleased that there is such interest in these clocks. To me they are a unique trinket when displayed in our HLS30s that if nothing else are worthy of conversation. It wouldn't surprize me to see more of them listed in the near future.

Member ID
    CZCC-19516

$1,133 was the magic number. i could call the buyer stupid for sure.

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by theguppies View Post
    $1,133 was the magic number. i could call the buyer stupid for sure.
    Why? It took more than one person to drive the auction up to the final price. The underbidder was only a few Dollars short. That $US price converts to something perhaps a little more reasonable in other currencies, and if you convert it into JPY you get a little over 90,000 Yen. They tend to change hands for more than that in Japan.....

If you can find a regular supply of good, working 'Rally' clock and Oscillator sets for a lot less than the finishing price of this auction, then you can make a nice little business for yourself can't you?

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

I totally agree with theguppies - this is a total waste IMO - I know the clock is rare but how could any of us justify spending over $1000 on a clock - maybe a Rolex but not for a car by any stretch.

Whats your thoughts on spending $1000 of your money on a clock for your car?

Mitchell

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Quote Originally Posted by Travel'n Man View Post
    I totally agree with theguppies - this is a total waste IMO - I know the clock is rare but how could any of us justify spending over $1000 on a clock - maybe a Rolex but not for a car by any stretch.

Whats your thoughts on spending $1000 of your money on a clock for your car?
    A $1,000 clock is probably no more a case of "wasted money" than a $10,000 paint job, IMHO. At least with the clock you know what time it is

BTW, let me know where to find that $1000 Rolex you mentioned. I paid 4K for mine. Sometimes we all spend waaaay too much for silly things that make us feel good.
    Dennis
    Last edited by psdenno; 07-13-2011 at 06:03 AM.
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

Wow... I have two Rally clocks and two oscillators waiting to be repaired by ZClocks. Did not know the market was so strong for them.
    '72 Fairlady 240Z-L - HS30-10052, Imported in 1973 from Yokota Airbase
    '70 240Z - HLS30-19927, History in SCCA CP & Trans-Am, ICSCC CIP, IMSA GTU
    '77 Porsche 930 Turbo Carrera - Black on black
    '13 Subaru BRZ Limited - Daily Driver

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

It won't be, not for long. After seeing the price that one pulled, they will all come out of the cupboards and closets for a while, and the excess supply will bring the price down. This happened with D hubcaps last time a set pulled $1200 - there were so many available for a while that the price for really nice sets dropped to around $500.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-19516

Quote Originally Posted by spitz17 View Post
    Wow... I have two Rally clocks and two oscillators waiting to be repaired by ZClocks. Did not know the market was so strong for them.
    and you giving me one right glenn?

Thread Information