Thread: My Vintage Rallies Texas 1000 Thread

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Default My Vintage Rallies Texas 1000 Thread

My deadline is November 11. That is when my Z will hit the road on something of a personal dream. I have been wanting to attend a first class vintage rally for years, hell, decades. When I first bought my Z back in 2008, I had this in mind as the main reason for getting a classic car. Sure car shows are fun and the occasional cruise to work is a joy. But getting them out on the road seeing beautiful scenery is what I think these cars are made for. Enter the TEXAS 1000.

http://vintagerallies.com/texas/

I first saw this rally 2 years ago and thought it was spectacular. The cars, the sights, the experience is just what I was thinking my Z was made for. It was pretty expensive, but if I saved up for many months I could probably swing it. AS time went on and I worked on the Z when life allowed me to. I had many things delaying this dream. My wife had a pituitary tumor that had to be taken care of. My fathers fight with Renal Cancer took almost a year. But things are settling, and life has a way of moving on. After many sun rises and sun sets, My Z is about to go under its biggest transformation since new. Up to this point it has been to build the best stock 71 Z that I could. I tinkered with a mod here or there, but for the most part, it has been OEM as much as I could afford.

But now, the chips have been played. I have been wanting to start a rally build thread for the longest time. But since the rally was not until November I figured I would wait. But then I figured you guys have been with me through dozens of mods (not to mention the dreaded year of the SU's part throttle popping fiasco). I figured I would take you along through my modification of a mostly bone stock 71 Z as it turns into a vintage rally driver that will do all of us classic Z guys proud when it is parked next to the Ferraris and Porsches.

My list of things to do was LONG. Not that my car was in any way in bad shape. On the contrary, it was a great driving car, but some things I have not had a chance to get to.

First lets talk about what has been done:

1) All new rubber in the car, every mount, hose, bushing, and seal (except for that exterior rubber that touches the window at the base)
    2) All new brakes on all 4 corners, with a more aggressive street pad/shoe, and DOT 4 fluid, new power brake booster
    3) New wheel bearings all around
    4) Stainless brake lines installed
    5) Newly cleaned and redone fuel system with shiny new evaporator tank and OEM plumbing
    6) Poly Bushings on the steering rack, coupler and front sway bar
    7) New retrosound audio system and 2 ken wood 5" speakers in the back.
    8) Fixed rear power antenna so it works
    9) Fixed all push cables in the heating system
    10) Newly rebuilt clock and new Amp gage.
    11) New wheels an tires (VTO with Bridgestone Potenza RE960)
    12) New wipers
    13) Daves headlight mod and a 60 amp alternator
    14) Triple Weber Install (makes the car a joy to drive at any speed and throttle application! )
    15) New U joints in the driveshaft and half shafts
    16) Other odds and ins like a recurved rebuilt OEM dizzy, coil, wires, etc...You get the drift.

Second lets talk about what I have planned.

1) I plan upping the HP in the gal.
    2) I plan on fitting a newly rebuilt transmission in her since my 3 gear has been whining for 2 years and it is a good time to fix that.
    3) I want to totally redo the front steering components, for safety sake as I think they are original to the car
    4) I want to get some wider tires for the rally, and preferably some Summer tires, in a 205/55/15 (currently have 195/60/15) which I can use as track day tires as well.

So far I have put into motion three of the four.

On the engine front... Eiji at Datsun spirit is building me a sweet L28, more on that baby to come, right now it is getting a cam ground to fit with my ROSS pistons.

On the transmission. I have a newly rebuilt Type B 4 speed that I purchased from Z car source sitting in my garage with a new 240Z clutch, fork, throwout bearing, sleeve, install tool, and bushing waiting to be mated to the engine when it comes in. To accompany that, I have ordered a new dust boot for a 72 and up Z and a short shifter that MSA sells that looks like the OEM comp shift lever designed to work when fitting a Type B into a car that came with a Type A. It may work, it may not. Who knows. We will all find out together.

On the front suspension front, since I have tokiko shocks and struts, I am leaving those alone, as I have no reason to doubt them. But my ball joints, and tie rod ends are old, I mean original old. They have got to go, as will my poly bushings on my TC rods. I ordered the Delrin ball kit. So I am going to do all of that at once.

Pics are about to start coming in on the front end. The car is in the garage with the nose in the air. So the transformation is under way. This is going to consume my entire summer, but in the end, I really hope to have a beauty of a rally ready Z.
    Last edited by Zedyone_kenobi; 05-27-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Good luck on this well deserve adventure , I am also on the same type of adventure but in a lesser scale.After attending a meet with the 510 East Coast ''Gang''at the Jefferson 500 Historic Race 2.5 Trans-Am series this past weekend the bug of doing track day at the Summit Point Racetrack in WV has bitten me .

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Best of Luck to you. Actual racing is quite the undertaking. Go get 'em
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Track Day is an intro to high speed driving, you bring your own street car and enjoy fast driving w/out the fear of blue/red lights in your rear-view mirror. For a fee you receive classroom instructions, a demo drive with instructor plus solo fast pace driving on the track. And yes the car has to be in proper condition to be abuse
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 05-28-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

Stephen, whatever you do to your car, just make sure you complete it early enough so that you can put a lot of hard miles on the car before the rally. It is definitely better to make adjustments and repairs near your house than on a trip far from home. Also, if you want I can post a list of tools and supplies I bring just case of road emergencies (which NEVER happen, of course).

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Of course, I think that would be great in this thread, so others can get the benefit of your wisdom
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

Ok, keeping in mind that you want to economize on weight and volume, and assuming that your car has a jack, lug wrench and pressurized spare tire (remember that the lug nuts for the spare may be different from those on your other wheels) I pack the following;

Tools
    Sockets 10mm-17mm +ratchet + extension
    Wrenches 8mm-14mm
    Adjustable (crescent) wrench +channel lock pliers+ lineman's pliers with wire cutter
    Standard and Phillips screwdrivers
    Utility knife
    2" length of 1.5" dia. copper pipe + 2 hose clamps (for splicing ruptured radiator hose).
    Hammer
    Flashlight and/or headband light

Supplies

Duct tape and electrical tape
    Rags and paper towels
    Thin rubber gloves
    1 gallon water and 1 qt oil
    Small bottle of brake fluid
    Bailing wire (yes, I have had to use it)
    Appx. 4' length of tubing suitable for fuel
    Small length (appx. 12") of 2x4
    Old Sheet in case you need to lay on the ground

I generally pack the tools in a small flexible cooler I have. That way I don't have to hear them rattle around. I pack the tools liquids and wood behind the passenger's seat, you do NOT want this stuff lying in the back because it WILL slide when you are throwing the car through turns.

Hopefully you won't have to use any of this, but there will be someone on the run that will if you are driving hard. If you have space there are other things you may want to take (I have a spare slave cylinder in the glovebox) but you have to draw the line somewhere.
    Last edited by tlorber; 05-29-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Thanks Tlorber!

That is great advice. I will take heed on most if not all of that.

I started my front end work officially, instead of just picture plastering here, I will just post links to my other threads that cover the work.

Front end Refresh
    http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread46265.html
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

UPDATE: I would rather have updated the first post to save some clicking, but My L28 is ready to ship! Eiji is the MAN You can follow the details of its build in this thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...947#post400947
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

The next chapter in this saga continues, as the engine is on a pallet set to arrive tomorrow!

I went to northern tools and picked up a 2 ton hydraulic hoist which has a large reach. I will assemble that tonight after everybody goes to sleep.

I think it is time to get the car up on jack stands and start unbolting things. The OEM L24 has been a great engine, does not smoke, and has run strong for 71000 miles. IT will be pulled and stored in a climate controlled storage unit until its services are needed again.

I have decided to pull the engine/transmission together. I will remove the radiator and engine accessories first. Then look into getting it boiled out and cleaned. OR just replace it with a new 3 core aluminum one. NOt sure which I will do. I have time to decide I guess. Definitely do not want my new engine running hot.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-15137

Don't forget to cap the tranny where the driveshaft plugs in! You'll have a large mess if you don't.
    First & Third owner of HLS30-00721
    B. 01/70 D. 03/12

New owner of HLS30-15653
    B. 12/70 D.

Frank in Houston, Texas

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

That is getting drained my friend. With the engine oil and radiator as well. Plan to keep the whole system empty.

the only thing I am not sure of is how high off the ground does the car need to be to pull the engine/tranny as a unit.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-15137

Let the air out of the front tires . Seriously, you shouldn't have to worry too much about that.
    B. 01/70 D. 03/12

New owner of HLS30-15653
    B. 12/70 D.

Frank in Houston, Texas

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Trying to keep things consistent. I wanted to update my progress on my Rally preparations. I got my Datsun Spirit engine installed and the new tranny. I also got the Webers tuned in on this thread...

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread45968.html

Further I installed new tires to make the most of the L28 power...

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread47086.html

With the new tires, I have completed every single thing on this checklist!

I feel a great sense of accomplishment to be honest. This car has made me experience every emotion from elation to depression and many stops in between. This rally will be a simply fantastic thing, and I have nothing left to do to prepare but to put miles on the car and get the engine completely broken in... More on that later, with videos to come...
    Last edited by Zedyone_kenobi; 08-24-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Excellent, gotta love that feeling!
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Just an update. Today after tweaking the timing I wanted to go for a drive, but the clouds opened up. So after the car cooled down completely I decided to take off the valve cover to see how the cam was doing. Well there were no discernible wear marks, so that is good. Eiji said I should check the valve lash after the first start up and 10 to 20 miles, and then again after it has about 1000 miles on it. Well I checked it stone cold and most of the valves were pretty lose. Which makes sense since I had a bit more valve noise than I was use to. Nothing really alarming, but more than my L24 had. So I set all of them to factory cold specs.

Intake: 0.008"
    Exhaust: 0.010"

I had two dedicated shims at those thicknesses, and two more no-go gages set at 0.009 for intake, and 0.011 for exhaust. I got all of them exactly spot on, which makes the OCD mechanic in me very happy. Some people hate even thinking of doing the valves. But I find it strangely therapeutic. Anyway, Still waiting to treat you guys to a video of the webers on the Datsun Spirit L28
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

FWIW, you should be seeing your valves tighten up as you go, as the valves wear into their seats. That wear is high in the first few thousand miles, hence the need to check them often on a fresh engine.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

I will keep that in mind, and periodically check them. The car runs so much quieter now. All the clickty clack that probably hurts absolutely nothing, is muffled to a calm even noise of a smooth running valve train. I figure I will check it again after the 1000 mile rally in November.

I took her out for a 50 mile blast to Galveston Texas. Car ran so perfectly smooth it was stunning. The sound of the exhaust hum is intoxicating, and the 'go anywhere' torque is just addictive as heck. Steady state cruise at 60 mph AFR is 13.5:1. I could not ask for a better summer AFR.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

BRING A TRAILER??

Well I sent in my last payment for my TEXAS 1000 rally. The new engine is well under way to being broken in. I have one more oil change left. I have fitted 205/55/15 yokohama S drives on my old Panasports which I wholeheartedly love. I have started a packing list and a tool bag that I can stash inside my tool box in back.

I contacted the rally folks and they are prepared.

I have a few more things I would like to ask?

Has anybody used a UHAUL car transporter before? I wonder if my front spook will have issues going on and off the ramps.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-12190

I've hauled a Z or two on a U-haul trailer. None had spooks, but the approach angle seemed pretty low. Jack up the trailer hitch as much as you can to lower the tail.

In the worst case, nothing says you can't back it on the trailer! Might be best from the prevent rock spray on the pretty front end point of view.

Happy hauling!
    -----------------------------------------
    Jim
    73 240Z HLS30 149331
    69 510 PL510 77603

www.zKars.com
    www.calgaryzclub.ca
    Reference materials
    www.xenonS30.com

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

Why are you transporting the car instead of driving it?

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Quote Originally Posted by zKars View Post
    I've hauled a Z or two on a U-haul trailer. None had spooks, but the approach angle seemed pretty low. Jack up the trailer hitch as much as you can to lower the tail.

In the worst case, nothing says you can't back it on the trailer! Might be best from the prevent rock spray on the pretty front end point of view.

Happy hauling!
    You can also stick a couple 0f 2x10's, about three feet long under the ramps, to help cut down the angle even more.

Marty

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Quote Originally Posted by tlorber View Post
    Why are you transporting the car instead of driving it?
    My thoughts exactly!
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Driving it would be fun but having a means of getting it home in case Murphy strikes is priceless. Plus towing it means I can bring almost limitless spares, camera equipment, etc.

I have gone back and forth on driving it or towing it. Both have advantages
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

That's what roadside assistance is for! I always keep my AAA card with me, I figure the 100 free miles of towing will either get me home or someplace where I can fix the issue.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

Quote Originally Posted by Zedyone_kenobi View Post
    I have gone back and forth on driving it or towing it. Both have advantages
    You are treading on some dangerous ground here, my friend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer queen.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	56174

And who the deuce is Murphy? Never heard of him.

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

BRING A TRAILER??

Well I sent in my last payment for my TEXAS 1000 rally. The new engine is well under way to being broken in. I have one more oil change left. I have fitted 205/55/15 yokohama S drives on my old Panasports which I wholeheartedly love. I have started a packing list and a tool bag that I can stash inside my tool box in back.

I contacted the rally folks and they are prepared.

I have a few more things I would like to ask?

Has anybody used a UHAUL car transporter before? I wonder if my front spook will have issues going on and off the ramps.
    Buddy, I gotta believe it will based off of my experience.
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Do you know where my Grandpa's 240z is? He sold it around 1994. I think it was a 72. It was orange with black interior and some sort of scissors style aftermarket crank up sunroof. I think it was sold to a fellow pharmacist and I think he was from Egg Harbor Wisconsin. At the time the car had between 32-36k original miles. He sold it for the lowly sum of $3000-$3500. My grandpa passed away a few years ago and I would like to know its whereabouts.

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

While your at... renew your registration... 7/12 you rebel you!
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Do you know where my Grandpa's 240z is? He sold it around 1994. I think it was a 72. It was orange with black interior and some sort of scissors style aftermarket crank up sunroof. I think it was sold to a fellow pharmacist and I think he was from Egg Harbor Wisconsin. At the time the car had between 32-36k original miles. He sold it for the lowly sum of $3000-$3500. My grandpa passed away a few years ago and I would like to know its whereabouts.

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Yeah, that registration has to be done, she has been in my garage for so long getting going I just have not had a chance...

'break'n the law... break'n the law... break'n the law..."

tlorber, I am sorry, have you not heard of Murphys Law....

Do a google search.

AS for being a trailer queen, not ever going to happen.
    But your warning is not unheard by my ears my friend!
    Last edited by Zedyone_kenobi; 09-06-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

tlorber, I am sorry, have you not heard of Murphys Law....

Do a google search.
    I was being facetious about Murphy. I've met him, I know him, and I really don't like him.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Munched Car.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	56179

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

tlorber,

you and me,

we gotta work on our communication!

that picture physically makes me ill. Is there a story behind this poor injured Z?
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-15137

As for the U-Haul car trailer.... Just jack up the hitch end a bit. That'll lower the ramp end and you can drive right on without scraping anything. I did that with 721 once and it went without a hitch (no pun intended).
    B. 01/70 D. 03/12

New owner of HLS30-15653
    B. 12/70 D.

Frank in Houston, Texas

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

55 days and counting to the Texas 1000. I am finishing off the fine tuning, adjusting, cleaning and prepping the car. I am making a mental list of everything I need to check out. I have the car on four jack stands once again, and I am starting to get ready for the last round of fixes.

Yesterday I replaced the passenger outer tie rod which split its boot 2 months ago when I put it on. I found out why. I filled it with grease prior to installation and it was very full already. If anything I overfilled it. So when you put the 40-55 ft lbs on it you compress the rubber boot even more. Combined with age, this is what made the boot fail. So, note to self, never overpack a rubber seal with grease.

As you know, the engine and transmission are new. The gear oil in the diff has less than 2000 miles on it. (royal purple) So fluids should be okay.
    I installed new brakes on all four corners within the past 700 miles. Wheel bearings have all been replaced within the past 2 years. New brake fluid.

I have redone the fuel system. I have redone the cooling system. I have brand new tires. So I am okay on that end.

This is my first 1000 mile rally. And I want to be sure that the car makes it the distance. I DO NOT want to be the only japanese car there among german, italian and british cars and have a mechanical breakdown. That would be unthinkable!!

I feel like I am representing the classic japanese car folks here.

Can I get you guys to throw some things out there I should double check now that the car is up in the air on jackstands?

No suggestion is too small. I have this sinking feeling that while I have the major components in great shape, I am forgetting something small that can sideline me.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

My suggestion is to drive the car...HARD! Then drive it some more. Break whatever you are going to break now, while you are close to home, and then repair whatever breaks.

There is no substitution for actual mileage on the car. You also need to get used to the limits of adhesion so that you'll be more comfortable on the rally.

Its like Dirty Harry said (before talking to the empty chair) "A man has got to know his limitations."

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

I have been taking your advice to heart. Every time I take her out I push her harder and harder.
    Great advice...may seem like common sense, but those are wise words!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

I just did about a 1000 miles on the Z over the weekend. Only thing that went bad was a slave cylinder (which was new a year ago), and my Z has not been gone through like your car! Just have some key tools on hand (wrench set, screwdriver set, flashlight, duct tape, etc) and at least a spare water pump/alt belt and you should be good to go. I'll second the drive-the-piss-out-of-it comment!
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Default And she is done!!

After months of prep, I think I have reached a point of readiness. Everything I can think of has been gone over. Somethings are not perfect but are in good working order. I finally pulled her out to wash her after so many weeks covered in dust and greasy finger prints. Everything seems to be where it needs to be. Everything feels right when she revs, starts, brakes, shifts, etc. No weird noises come from anywhere other than the usual creaks a 42 year old cars has.

With such humble beginnings she came to me in 2008. Members here helped me graciously as ever to pick the right car. Not the perfect car, but the right car. My car, like most older car has issues. Yes, it was wrecked in the front end, but it was competently repaired. Just like individuals, all cars have character flaws. They are not new. They have baggage when you buy them. You have to accept what you cannot change and move on. I love my Z. It feels like an old friend now.

You guys have been with me for every single one of my mods, fixes, complaints, dumb questions, etc. I could not have done this kind of work without the help of ALL of you here! So this is my official THANK you to all of you. You are all a bunch of fantastic guys and gals.

On to the pictures!

Hello there world! I am ready for my close up.

This my REEEEEEALLY BAD attempt a dramatic video shot...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdamico...5883/lightbox/

Post Wash video (please do not mind my hand squeaking on the vinyl seat headrest... It makes me crack up at the noise of vinyl on bare skin!)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdamico...83/?likes_hd=1

Words cannot explain how pleased I am with the results.
    These cars take on a life of their own, and through this site I have been able to share the whole adventure with you guys

Next up soon will be the loading and towing pictures to the rally!
    I contacted the organizers at the TEXAS 1000, and they still have some slots left for the 50 car field.
    It would be great if we could get another Japanese car in there.

The organizer said she looks forward to seeing us in our 240Z. It will be the first one to make the rally. It would be epic of I could complete it with no mechanical breakdowns. I am going to do my best to show her how a Japanese inline 6 sounds!!!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Default Fixed the image that would not load.

1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-4

Quote Originally Posted by tlorber View Post
    You are treading on some dangerous ground here, my friend.
    Tlorber, jeeze now that's funny. I can't stop chuckling.

Zedyone, that car looks beautiful. Not sure if I'd drive it either.
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-23233

Absolutely beautiful Zedy.
    Keith
    1970 240z - Stock - HLS30-04642

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

your ride is art in motion,pure Z porn....................

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

You guys are too kind and do not forget, if this car represents any quality at all, you can give yourself a pat on the back, as the collective knowledge from the members on this board is what made it possible.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

48 days to the rally. Time is getting close and in preparation, every chance I get to get in the car and drive I am! Every chance I get to stress out the parts, I am. Today was a different kind of day. All my chores were done, and the wife and kid were happily occupied. I took the chance to take the car out for a short 40 minute drive around town in traffic and on the free way. It was the kind of day where as a driver I was not diagnosing anything. The car simply wanted to be driven.

Every overpass was a concert.
    Every curb was a resonate echo of a perfectly running L28.
    Every gear noise and every shift felt perfect.

It was one of those days where you leave the AFR gage in the glove box with the door closed. You fill her up with gas until she is full, and then with a heavy belly you let her slowly stretch her legs and just go. It was more like playing an instrument than driving a car. Every turn, every merge, every application of the throttle produced immediate and smile inducing physical reactions. The brakes felt strong and the car was simply wanting to never come home.

The more I drive this engine, the smoother it runs, the more OEM like it feels. With every mile that ticks the sublime magical feeling of bonding between man and machine becomes a reality. You start to look at the new engine less like a stranger under the hood and more like a new lifelong friend. Confidence replaces doubt. Trust replaces caution. The engine starts to become one with the car. The rock steady tack at every stop light and stop sign seem to dare me to drive harder. The needle unwavering at 1000 rpm at idle after a vicious romp on the throttle through all the gears indicates that all is well and with a stiff look says, "thank you sir, can I have another"

In short the car was not a project today. The car was not in diagnosis mode, the car was just a car, that was ready to be enjoyed.

And that is exactly what we did. WE just drove! And she ran flawlessly.

The next stop is the TEXAS 1000.

48 days until the automotive adventure of my lifetime fills my memories and this very thread! Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Zedyone_kenobi; 09-23-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

You took off the new VTO LeMans wheels and went back to your old Panasports?

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

For now, yes. I wanted to run summer tires on the rally. I currently have AS tires on the VTO. They look great. But those are 195/60 all season bridgestones, and they are good tires. But no all season no matter how good, is as good to drive as a dedicated summer tire. So I found some 205/55 yokohama's and needed to put them on a set of rims. I had the panasports unmounted and available, so I put them on those. I will run my VTO as my daily driving wheel, and use the panasports for track and rally duty.

I would love to see how the VTO's would look with 205/55's. They are substantially wider than the 195 visually. I think the VTO needs a lot of meat to look just right. While the 195's are an easy tire to live with day to day, the added grip of the 205's is nothing to sneeze at.

If I could sell my 195/60/15's I would. I would put some yokohama S drives on the VTO as well. I love how they look without the centercaps. Very much like the John Morton 240Z, which is what I really want my car to pay homage to.

I have not abandoned the VTO's, They are stored in a climate controlled storage building for after the rally.

I love them both to be honest. I could not depart with the panasports, and as soon as they were on, I started missing the VTO LeMans.

They are both wonderful wheels.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

41 days and the Rally gets closer. Did more tuning with the timing last night, but will have to start over when I get my Mallory hooked up correctly at last.

I asked about the entry list, and this is the reply I got from Rich Taylor, one of the organizers putting on the rally...

We're looking forward to seeing you and Greg. We'll have a final entry list later on, but right now it has some cool cars, including a real C-type Jaguar, Maserati A6GCS, a bunch of Corvettes, Ferraris and Porsches, etc. And two Datsuns, your 240Z and a 260Z, plus a TR-6 and BMW 3.0 CSI.
    You'll have a lot of fun, we promise!

So the entry list looks fun, but my question is

WHO IS THE OTHER Z CAR!?

It will be great to represent the Z guys out there! 2 Z's among some very pricey sheet metal. That makes me very happy. November will take forever to get here no doubt.

I googled the Maserati, and it is just stunning! As is that C type Jag! I will make sure not to touch them! I cannot afford to touch the oil leaking from those cars!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Great Tid Bit from the Organizer Rich. He asked me for pictures and when I sent him pictures of my Z he replied with this...

Hi Stephen,
    Got it. Pretty car. I like the color and the Minilite/Panasport wheels. Very cool. FYI, I was Managing Editor of Car & Driver in 1971 when we built the 240Z Omega project car. I have lots of stories about that car. I'm also having lunch with my friend Bob Sharp the week before the rally to talk about doing a book on Bob Sharp Racing vs Group 44.
    Thank you!
    Never Lift!
    Rich

Neat book that will be worth the reading!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-26191

sounds like a lot of fun, great looking car btw!
    Please just send all your extra parts to me.

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

25 days and counting

Tasks left are to assemble spares parts list, travel tools needed.

Perform one last valve lash check and carb sync.

Reservations are confirmed and the clock is ticking
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

Towin' er? or Drivin'er?

25 days and counting

Tasks left are to assemble spares parts list, travel tools needed.

Perform one last valve lash check and carb sync.

Reservations are confirmed and the clock is ticking
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

towing her.

I am bringing a bunch of spares with me, including an entire set of VTO rims and new tires. No way I do not finish this rally!!!!

This is what I am bringing

Timing light
    my entire assortment of Weber Jets and tools
    My valve lash adjustment go/no go feeler gauges
    An extra distributor, and an extra pertronix for that distributor.
    2 sets of spark plugs
    An extra belt
    An extra radiator hose
    Octane booster in case I cannot get 93 octane gas
    complete set of metric wrenches and standard wrenches needed for my AN fittings
    complete set of screwdrivers
    complete set of sockets
    wire ties
    duct tape
    extra wire
    slave cylinder
    DOT4 brake fluid
    4 VTO LeMans wheels/tires
    all my personal clothing and supplies
    video camera, DSLR and go pro
    Lap top
    phone charger and computer charger
    extra fuel pump

and the list goes on and on.

So yeah, I am bringing the truck for one last run. THen I will sell the truck and get back into a fun car, but that is a thread for elsewhere.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

Don't forget water and oil, a utility knife, channel locks, a sheet or blanket In case you need to get under the car, and some rubber gloves-just because.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Extra fuses, ........................

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

7 more days
    I am going to be worthless this week at work
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

I was right I have been worth less this week.

3 more days and then I am off! I pick up the trailer in 2 days. HUZZAH.

Have most of the car related stuff packed. Put on new windshield wipers as there is a good chance of rain on at least one of the days. Should make for an interesting rally.

Many pictures are on the way. My silver bullet is running so darn well, and cannot wait to go mix it up with some jags and Porsches.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

I look forward to your narrative... And, I'm jealous!
    Rob
    2000 BMW R1100 RT-SE (for sale)
    1999 Toyota 4Runner Supercharged
    1975 Porsche 914 stroker motor autoX car
    1973 Datsun 240Z Restoration project. New paint in original white. E31 head on 2.4 block. Nissan Motorsports header. R200 with Nissan motorsports LSD.

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

Stephen, I hope you have a good, Safe trip. I think you'll be Jonesing for another run soon afterward. A couple hours ago I spoke with he guy that organizes the Targa California. The rally is set for mid April and it would be great to see you there. I just found this montage that was put together from the run earlier this year.

http://www.petrolicious.com/articles/targa-california

Hope more Z's can make it.

Thought I'd throw this link too, since it applies to us.

http://www.petrolicious.com/articles/jiro-s-datsun-240z
    Last edited by tlorber; 11-08-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

I would LOVE to go, but I will have an addition to the family in February, and leaving my wife with a newborn is what Captain Hook would say is 'BAD FORM'
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-19498
    308 Palmetto Avenue Melbourne Florida 32901

Zedyone
    I have been monitoring this post somewhat losely but between now and the end of the year I will sit on the end of my seat wondering how it all went. People like yourself and me are the reason cars were built. We see beyond their use as status symbols or the mundane daily commute to give our lump of coal. We see them as vehicles that let you escape to that dimension we all dream about as we tweak and tune. We watch sunset after sunset wondering what it would be like to be belted in at that very moment with no destination. I too my friend have been there. The amount of work that you have put in only inspires me to keep pushing with my machine. I do have one piece of advice. RELAX. Act as if you have been here before. Have as much fun as is possible within the limits of the law. Don't worry about anything. If you have a mechanical issue it will be a part of the adventure but I am positive you won't. You have put true workmanship into a fine piece of machinery so go out and enjoy. Keep us updated.
    "HAPPINESS"....isn't just around the corner......"HAPPINESS"....is the CORNER"

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Guys, I am happy to report I am actually in San Antonio and have been enjoying the hospitality of the Texas 1000 folks!
    Pics to come!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Well it is 6 am and my bother, navigator is taking a shower. We are packed up and ready to hit the 3 stages they have planned for us today. Looks like they have us running 3 stages about 80 miles or so miles, not too bad. Car is running well, but with the last few tweaks I made I am a touch on the rich side. I may make a few tweaks. My inexperience is showing through as we forgot several things we will need. But again, as this is my first TSD style rally, I fully plan to soak up the sights and sounds of ever corner and just have fun. There are some hardcore rally folks here that have a long history of Zero'ing every single stage. I figure I will let them bang it out for first, and we will just try to carry as many smiles through every corner we can.

After the tow in yesterday we got settled in to the hotel. This place was nice. I started to meet some of the Rally participants,and they varied from CEO's to entrepreneurs, to doctors, etc. But EVERYBODY was friendly and loved to talk cars. It was great. I got to sit in a 330 Ferrari GTB, that a guy drove from New Jersy! (He was the CEO of SportClips) . That night as a welcome we got to go see a private WWII plane collection and eat some snacks and drink some wine in his hanger. It was pretty special. WE got a tour around the Glacier Gal, a P38 lightning that was rescued from 235 feet below the ice in a glacier in Greenland. Amazing stuff.

Here are some pics from the day we came in. I left my camera in the car last night, so the airplane pics are out of reach this morning, but they are coming...

1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

You got some expensive company there...
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Member ID
    CZCC-19498

That looks SOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

We are starting day three of the rally today. Since I do not have access to any form of Internet other than my smartphone I will have to give you the day 1 and day 2 reviews tonight when we get in to the hotel back near San Antonio. But here we are in the middle of day 2 with our good Z friends Mike and Alex Wodopain whose presence haas made this rally more enjoyable than any car or road could ever hope to! Big updates to come tonight!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	57990   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	75 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	57991   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	78 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	57992  
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Okay we are at the Eilan hotel now and finally have internet again. So lets talk about Day one....
    A vintage rally, in essence it seems to be the thing that our cars are made for. Driving at an elevated pace through some of the best roads in the country. We prepare for these things by building our cars into seemingly unbreakable machines with no detail overlooked. We check and recheck all manner of things and then one day we make the call and give a stranger our credit car number for rights to be part of something special. So how did it go?

Well day one. I arrived at the La Cantera Hotel with the Datsun in tow behind me. I wish I could say I towed it with out any issues. But let me be clear, it was totally not a fun experience. I was nervous every mile I was towing it. And for many a mile I wished I had driven it. (insert the 'I told you so' comments right now) But it was a learning experience. So I have that.

I unloaded my car and parked it next to the rest of the rally cars. I was among some very nice company. Vintage and new Ferrais and Porsches. An Aston Martin Vantage V8, a classic mustang, a very cool Triumph TR6, and other exotica of notable heritage. Before I go on let me be perfectly clear about the TEXAS 1000. It is every bit as much about driving cars as it is about people and food. The way the rally is organized is as follows. Every day, the cars are slated to leave between 8 and 9 am. This gives you time to wake your tired aging bodies out of bed and get a shower and then head to breakfast. Now the way Rich and Jean have this rally organized is that all meals, drinks, and alcohol are included. The only thing that needs to come out of your pocket is gratuities and gasoline (which I will speak about in great detail later). So you almost feel obligated to eat every mean whether you would normally eat that much food or not, because, well, its 'free'.

So having said that, now back to the rally. We leave between 8 and 9 am every morning and get our times. You take out on the roads with a VERY detailed route book describing how far to go and where to turn. The goal of these rallies is to arrive at EXACTLY the right time. Penalty points will be awarded if you are early or late.

Lets star the first day. I was ready to drive and my brother, Greg, who came over from Louisiana to help me was navigating on the first stage. The very first direction was to take a right out of the hotel. Well our first move after being released from the gate was to go, you guessed it, RIGHT! I had to get a few things out of the truck that I towed it with the day before. So we were off to a great start. Now these routes are designed to be completed going legal speed limits for legal and safety reasons of course. Well we were already 12 minutes in the hole. How did it end up. Well lets say we drove quickly. As did most of the other folks. We arrived about 21 minutes ahead of schedule accruing the maximum amount of penalty points you can amass for a single stage. We seemed to favor this approach to leave on time but finish ludicrously early everyday and a game was made for how many early penalty points we could amass. THe roads in the hill country are nothing short of spectacular. They offer a wide range of driving excitement. From 20 mile stretches of abandoned roads with 70-80 mile per hour sweepers one after the other, to 10 mile per hour switchback mountain roads inches from guardrails and/or rocks. These things are exciting by themselves. But add to that chasing a vintage Ferrari 330 GTO or being followed by a 993 Porsche Turbo and things get, well, competitive, quickly. What do you expect to happen with 20 guys in sports cars on deserted roads. HAHA.

We had a few days where my brother and I stayed close to Team Wodopain and their STUNNING 260Z on the road, and these two Z's were streaking across texas very quickly. What a sight it must have been. Team Wodopain's father and son were locked in a Herculean dual for the fasted recorded stop speed of the day. Those speeds will of course go unmentioned in the public domain! But those guys had a ball, and like us were enjoying every waking second of the TEXAS 1000. It was truly epic on scope.

I am going to save myself a lot of time and just post my link to the flickr site for all the pics that are loaded and all those that will be coming. I have hundreds of photos and literally 32 gigs of video I need to wade through, and we still have one more day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdamico...7631968396523/

We finished up day one with an amount of penalty points that my brother and I were quite proud of. It should be noted that Mikes 260Z with team Wodopain at the helm has zero'ed every single stage and is doing VERY well. It just goes to show you that this rally is enjoyed by the serious rally enthusiast, the guy out to just drive or any combination of the two. The rally organizers just want you to be safe and have fun, and are there to promote the joy of driving great cars, with great people, on great roads! More pics and video to Come!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-19498

That looks Soooooooo CooooooooooooooL!

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

I have done a number of TSD Rally events over the years and never done well... But I always enjoyed the drive. Looks like you're doing the same.
    Rob
    1973 Datsun 240Z Restoration project. New paint in original white. E31 head on 2.4 block. Nissan Motorsports header. R200 with Nissan motorsports LSD.

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

With regards to the towing, I am by no means an expert, but I think you might find better results by favoring the Z to the back of the trailer a little more. You got all that engine weight way out over the tongue. Combine that with U Haul trailer tongue weight to begin with and that is a lot of weight on the rear of that Tundra. I'd almost have the rear wheels of the Z at the end of the trailer. Looks like one hell of a time.
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Well the rally is over and it seems that all participants took something away with them.
    When I came into this rally I had so many expectations. Mostly I wanted to enjoy good roads, good cars, driving fast, and decent food. Over the course of a thousand plus miles many things seemed clear to me. These events are about so much more than just driving fast on country roads. As the days went by and we reunited several times a day the cars started to take a back seat to the people who were driving them. The friendships and bonds that are made are priceless and the people seem like long lost relatives more than strangers. I think cars bring people together like this.

How did our little Z cars do? That to me is the real interesting story of the Texas 1000. We had about 20 automobiles with many many veteran teams with some very valuable hardware. Some cars were probably worth in the mid 6 digits, others were just run of the mill Porsches if there is such a thing. The vast majority of the participants we met have been doing these rallies for over 5, 10, 15 years, and they use them as get togethers to see old friends that they only see on rallies. Mike W's 260Z and my 240Z were first time participants, and we may have been the only first timers. There may have been perhaps 1 or 2 more at most. Immediately, like starting at a new school, we got all the attention of the New kid. Not only were the Z's drivers first timers in an organized rally, we had brought into the fold two cars that were neither German, British, Italian, or American. Perhaps we were viewed as oddities more than outsiders. Some were curious, but I have to be honest, the majority of people had fond memories of these little Z cars. And when they came and talked to us about them, always seems to treat us as friends. We blended and among the majority of the teams I would say were were treated as equals, and we deserved there. We had Datsun sitting next to cars costing exponentially more. And just like that, we went from Japanese outsiders, to fellow rally cars, that had the heritage and the look to stand toe to toe with any other car there. The DATSUNS had officially arrived.

One such example of this welcoming attitude was on the morning of the first day. I was prepping the car i the parking lot and a gentlemen walked up and asked about the car and said how he just adored these little cars and that I am going to have a ball driving this car on the roads ahead. He had done the rally a dozen times or so. He was the driver of the 330 Ferrari pictured above. This V12 concours quality car is one of his rally cars he uses for these such events. He drove it down from New Jersey for this rally! No trailers for him. (I felt immediately a bit silly for trailering mine for 223 miles from one city away!) He was generally excited to see and hear what the little Datsuns could do! Such enthusiasm for the Datsun cars started to grow day by day, as our roaring straight 6's never left us without enough power to leave pricer hardware wondering how the hell we could be this fast.

Mike W and I were doing our best to represent the Japanese invasion. We brought our Datsuns that we have both poured love and time and money into in non inconsequential amounts. At first we wondered how they would be viewed by the veteran rallyist who were use to seeing vintage Italian, German, British, and American iron on these events. Immediately the results were positive. They all remembered these cars and knew how wonderful they were to drive. All we had left to do was show them what we could do.

The turning point really happened at a motorcycle museum up in the hills of texas. Somebody inquired about our engines and when the hoods of Mike and I's Datsuns opened up, the crowd just swarmed. In my head, i thought, BEHOLD THE POWER of TRIPLES. There is something about having multiple carburetors that seems to get you instant credibility. When the their shock faded the questions poured in. The shock was reaffirmed when they learned that Mike and I do our own work and tuning. I think the term used is 'street cred'. Yea, we now had it. The Datsuns racing victories and ghosts of cars dominating in the SCCA were now starting to be understood. This of course was cemented when they saw the out right pace these cars could carry through the extremely twisty bits. I truely believe in my heart some of these guys with very expensive collections will find there way to an early Z soon. Out of all the cars, Mike and his sone Alex and my brother and I were having the most fun in our DEAD SOLID reliable Japanese cars. Thats right, as some other cars failed, others did not finish, both the Datsuns were beat on and driving hard for well over a 1000 miles, and each morning woke up and say, 'thank you sir, may I have another'! If you thought you loved your Z before, take her on a 1000 mile rally and the bond will soon be far more than sheet metal deep. It was the greatest automotive event I have ever participated in. I met so many wonderful people with great stories about great cars. The cars are wonderful, the roads were epic, the food was continuous and delicious, but its the people that ended up making this a very special event!

Sadly this 3.0 CSi did not finish the race, but it was one of my all time favorite cars there. So beautiful and yet so aggressive, classy, comfortable, and fast. It was just a near perfect car for the enthusiast. He ended up bowing out after day 2 with a failed slave cylinder.

Mike and Alex, father and son, who in their first rally, ZERO'ed every stage! Kudos guys for a great result!

My brother and I (I have the hat) who could not stop smiling and laughing for 4 darn days. We figured we would screw up at least half of the stages navigation, so we never really attempted to zero anything and just concentrated primarily on having a good time. It apparently worked as at the end of the Awards ceremony, My silver team piloted by my brother and I were awarded the Spirit of the Rally commendation.

I was extremely proud and left feeling like between Mike and I, we may have really legitimized the Datsun Z in these guys minds. This was a car to be taken seriously and when driven hard, man can they fly!
    Last edited by Zedyone_kenobi; 11-16-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

Perfect...
    Rob

Member ID
    CZCC-19498

That looks Soooooooooooooooooooo CooooooooooooooooooL!

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

So the million dollar question? With the Ferrari driving from New Jersey... Did you DRIVE the the Z home?
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Member ID
    CZCC-23517

Looks you had a great time. Some great shots you took as I browsed your album. So jealous.
    1978 280Z 5sp

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

If I did, I would have had to leave my truck in San Antonio.
    So, nope, I had to tow it back as well.

But Learned my lesson on this one. You bring everything but the kitchen sink but you never need it. The only thing I took out of the truck was a can of window cleaner. Thats it. Everything else I packed was just dead weight. I will drive my car next time, I promise you.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

I'm like you. I have the trailer, packed with stuff.

Your experience reminds me that the harder you drive these little cars, the more likely you are to expose any weakness. Once those weaknesses are exposed and repaired, the less likely they are to break. Then, all you need is window cleaner, tires and brake pads.

I'm glad you had fun...
    Rob

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

If I did, I would have had to leave my truck in San Antonio.
    So, nope, I had to tow it back as well.

But Learned my lesson on this one. You bring everything but the kitchen sink but you never need it. The only thing I took out of the truck was a can of window cleaner. Thats it. Everything else I packed was just dead weight. I will drive my car next time, I promise you.
    An understanding brother would have volunteered to drive the truck and stare at the 240's posterior across I-10!
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Your right, an understanding brother would have...

I do not have such a brother!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Truth be told, my brother lives in Louisiana, and he flew to San Antonio to meet me there. Which was not easy for him since he has an iffy back at times.

But we had a great time and I could not have done this without him!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Organizers sent out a DVD full of pics, found the ones with my Zed on it. It wraps up the thread nicely for future research...

Happy Motoring..
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

Now come on out and do the Targa California with me. 1000 miles in three days!
    Rob

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

That does sound AWESOME!!!

You better post lots of pictures buddy!

Sadly I will have to pass. I have new baby due in less than 30 days!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

That does sound AWESOME!!!

You better post lots of pictures buddy!

Sadly I will have to pass. I have new baby due in less than 30 days!
    Sounds like you'll be busy taking pictures of your own... Congratulations!
    Rob

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

That was a neat adventure, the pictures say it all.................

Thread Information