Thread: 73 240Z build

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Default 73 240Z build

So my car is partially apart, engine bay is clean, working on disassembly and clean, powdercoat of suspension components. My engine is getting there little by little. Should be a nice car when its done. I bought it, drove it a bit with the L28 that was installed with round top SU's. I just don't like it as much so i'm going with an L28ET and i'll keep the good L28 as a spare for when my other Z's L24 finally retires. I've got eibach springs, new struts, poly bushings all around, MSA sway bars ready. Should ride pretty good, this one has a 5 speed tranny too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	notag.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	55465  

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Default this is now

Its going to be awhile

Name:	gettin there.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	55466  

Member ID
    CZCC-22755

Something about your garage looks very familiar! Looks to be a good project, and the car looks really good! Keep us updated!

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

its a mess man. I have tools and parts everywhere and its crowded. But hey its out of the rain i got my compressor hooked up so its on. I have all the parts sourced it should be an exciting ride when its done. The pictures look fish eye but its my new Hero2 GoPro i love it. I'll keep you guys posted, this L28ET was purchased from a guy on the forums, and many odd ball parts i've sourced through the ads too. I love these cars. This past weekend a buddy came down, he's got an LS1 powered Z and its given me even more motivation to go. Thanks for looking. Suspension is underway, i'll post pics of the progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Default got one corner finished

Front passenger side suspension is done, all NEW, should ride good when its all done. Eibachs and just KYB's with stock mounting hats. I have new tie rod ends but i'll put them on when i'm ready to realign the car. I've got a long way to go before that.

Name:	new suspension.jpg 
Views:	799 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	55482  
    Last edited by MotoManMike; 08-06-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Default steering knuckles

I did them in red, not sure if it matters no one will see it but me...well and i guess you guys now. I've got new brakes i'm just not there yet. Those calipers are newer but i want the toyota pick up truck brakes.

Name:	strut housing.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	55484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knuckles.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	55483  

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Default Updates. L28ET is in, MS is wired just playing the waiting game.

Sooooo its been a few weeks since i've posted much of anything on the 240z #2 i've aquired. So here we go.

Suspension up front is complete. Eibach springs and KYB's for now. If I don't like them i'll put them on the other car.
    280z fuel tank installed
    New fuel lines ran
    New pump installed GLS392 Walbro
    L28 turbo clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel installed
    L28ET is in
    Megasquirt relay board is wired.
    240sx TPS installed
    Innovate LC-1 installed and hodge podge A-pillar mount installed
    MSA downpipe installed.

I'm waiting on my Megasquirt II to get back to me. I had an issue with it initially and the injector bank 1 was constantly grounded. I got an email today that said it will be on its way to me tomorrow so maybe i'll see it by Saturday if i'm really lucky but looks more like Monday. Either way Matt has been very good about everything and appears it was covered by warranty so i'm very thankful for that because this build has gone WAAAY over budget as usual.

Things left to do

Finish exhaust
    Do something with the really worn looking valve cover
    tuck and loom wiring(waiting until I have my car started and idling on MS)
    Figure out my fuel tank filler neck lenght/fitment issue
    plug the EGR bottom tube
    I'm sure i forgot 3 things

Pics to come shortly. I'm working on shrinking them.

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	56841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	56840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1289.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	56843  
    Last edited by MotoManMike; 10-03-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Mike, lots of progress my friend, keep the wrenching and good luck...............wana race me

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

At this point, i'd race a kid on a tri-cycle if I could. I want to get this car going, its been way too long for me.

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q051qr9wzBE

Getting even closer to driving. Its running again Exhaust is getting welded up today. Now just to tune and button up a few things. The pictures above show where I had buttoned up the wiring and tucked it nice. Bad mistake, I had to end up unwrapping everything to change a few things around but its back together now. Wiring is all over the place in the video.
    Last edited by MotoManMike; 11-16-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Default chipping away at a nice fun machine

ACT heavy duty clutch is on its way. Bought another MS. I bought a PCB3.0 so I can do it start to finish a second time. I'm just sick in the head sometimes. Either way i'm exited. Merry Christmas to me. I can't wait to put this T-5 in.

Name:	T-5 Trans.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	58617  

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

WOW, your in deep-I love it. You better get deeper and put the STI diff in there now so you have traction for that beast. Also, a trick T-5 shifter on that trans and you'll love shifting that car all day long. I have a Pro-Tower-I think that's the name-and I am really impressed about the positive shifting.
    Are the springs slightly shorter?
    Forget the truck brakes, get some Wildwoods for the front and don't look back. Just leave the stock drums on the rear.
    I love spending someone elses money-
    Steve
    71 240z,bw-5sp 2.4-40 over,balanced,e-88,big valves,ported&polished, stage2,header, triple Mikuni's 40's
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

HAHAHA you are right. I'm in pretty deep. Willwoods are on the list. Just don't know if I can swallow the 200 extra for red. Come on really? $200 extra. Thats just not right. The springs are just the eibach kit. They say they don't lower the height on the 240 but it does sit lower in the front now. I havn't started with the rear yet. I'm installing an R200 so i'll do it while i'm changing the rear diff. Here is what I was entertaining myself with today. Looks pretty good. I'm in the midst of re doing some wiring with shielded so wiring is a mess. This car will be pretty nice when its done. I don't know how the T5 will feel but shifting it just out of the car it feels amazing. I can't wait to see. Thats a really nice Z madkaw. I noticed you say you are running the subi LSD. What axles and companion flanges did you use?

Name:	valve cover.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	58627  
    Last edited by MotoManMike; 12-09-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Mike that engine bay looks ZWEET, it deserves a personal visit ,,,,, hint, hint

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

. The real work hasn't started yet. I'm not looking forward to changing this rear end and suspension. 40 year old bolts never play nice. I've got to come pay you a visit. I need to get that rear end, unless you can pick it up for me. I need to find a turbo manual pinion flange for an R200. Thats the only unicorn at the moment. If you see a listing for one let me know. I know you look around quite a bit on the net at parts and cars.
    Last edited by MotoManMike; 12-09-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

When complete, your car will be an excellent "specimen". More work than I was willing to do, and I applaud you for it!
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

200.00 $ for red paint? If you are saying that it's all bling, I will strongly disagree. But I can understand money!!

As far as the subi rear, the adapters are the expensive units. John Coffey sells them over at hybridz for about 500$. Very nice pieces and John does good business. The good part is that Subi-LSD units are avialable and at a reasonable price. Weigh it against a 35 year old r200 that sell for 750.00$ and it sounds much better.
    Steve
    71 240z,bw-5sp 2.4-40 over,balanced,e-88,big valves,ported&polished, stage2,header, triple Mikuni's 40's
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

yeah, same brakes, $200 more for red paint. Its a joke. They brake just the same being black so its an obvious choice for me. I want that set up because other upgrades i've seen might have fitment issues due to my wheel size. I don't want to have to go to a 16 or 17 inch wheel. I'm way off on that project though. I put new stock calipers on it and the rear drums do work so it brakes pretty well for what it is. I just noticed as soon as I got it running halfway right, once it got into boost the speeds went up pretty quickly and the stock brake set up isn't up to snuff with the power. So it will be upgraded at some point in the future. My main goals are to get this rear end set up so I can put in this T-5 and finish the rear suspension. The T-5 all came from an S30 so the drive shaft was already shortened and the hanger adjusted. I've got the rear sway bar set up with brackets and all but i want to see how it handles first after the suspension is fresh. I've read alot on the topic of rear sways on the 240 and many don't like them installed. Some do. I won't know until I see for myself I guess. I'll keep posting as it goes on. Thanks for looking guys.

I'll check out the rear set up they sell. I've sourced most of the parts I need for under $500 to do a rear R200 so I'm going to try it for awhile. It can't be any worse than what it is. This thing sounds terrible. Whines at speed and has some play.

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Default Rear end is coming along

I've got my R200 up. New diff front mount. New rear T3 rear arms. Eibachs and kyb's. I have to relocate the fuel pump because the R200 mustache bar sits further back than the R180 hanger. Coming along. Transmission and clutch will be next.

Name:	rear.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	61404  

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

I never kept up on this thread however an update. This car is still running great. MS is sorted and the car is a blast to drive. It ran a 13.90 the first pass at the drag strip and handles great on the street. Fun fun fun. I'm working on number 2 now. She's a rusty one....

Thread Information