Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 speed knob reproduction?

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

The 5spd. emblem on the reproduction is flat on top - the originals were rounded - spherical in shape.
    The font is OK - but the spacing and color are wrong.
    The emblem on the original uses a creamy white - almost very light gray - the repro is bright white
    The repro is a bit smaller in diameter as is the emblem itself.
    I would say "the chrome piece on the bottom of the original" is missing completely on the repro.{that could be fixed using an older 4spd.knob base}.

Nonetheless for $95.00 if someone steals it - you won't have lost an original.

Yes - I bought one..
    FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    The 5spd. emblem on the reproduction is flat on top - the originals were rounded - spherical in shape.
    The font is OK - but the spacing and color are wrong.
    The emblem on the original uses a creamy white - almost very light gray - the repro is bright white
    The repro is a bit smaller in diameter as is the emblem itself.

Nonetheless for $95.00 if someone steals it - you won't have lost an original.

Yes - I bought one..
    FWIW,
    Carl B.
    Also, the shift pattern emblem is cloisonné (enameled metal), not plastic, as the originals were on the early cars. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it when it arrives. Certainly looks like a viable alternative at a fairly reasonable price.
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Hi Dennis:
    It arrived a week or go ago. My comments were based on looking at it when writing.

As someone else said earlier - most people wouldn't notice it as not being original. Another very nice member here gave me an original - and have to admit that I didn't like leaving it in the BRE Z at shows, when left unattended. Thus my comment about the possibility of someone stealing it. Believe it or not, Mr. Brock gave me a BRE Key Fob/ring for the Z when we were at Amelia Island. I made the mistake of leaving it in the car at another event a few months later - and someone stole it. They were kind enough to leave the ignition key on the seat. {I didn't take the ignition key - as you can't start the car without the key to kill switch, which I always put in my pocket. I also carry a spare kill switch key in the tow truck}.

As they say; "there is always one".

FWIW
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Hi Carl,
    Thanks for responding. I didn't catch that you already had the new knob when I read your post. How's the wood grain/color and feel of the shape of the knob compared to the original?
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Hi Dennis:
    Wood grain and color are very close. The finish is smoother, more highly polished on the original. The shape is pretty much the same - only with a slightly small diameter on the repro.. The original 5spd. knob is a little larger diameter than most of the early 4spd.knobs. If I had to guess, I'd guess they used an early 4spd. knob as the example/model. The size difference really isn't much - but of course your hand/fingers can feel it.
    Carl

Member ID
    CZCC-22920

Hi Carl,

I bought one as well. I am thinking about getting a watch glass or jewellery "cameo dome" to put over the shift pattern to replicate the domed shape of the original. Hopefully one with a diameter of 1 inch (25.4mm) will be a friction fit to avoid signs of glue. Any thoughts?

Thread Information