Thread: At The Crossroads of Color - Paint or Sell?

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

Default At The Crossroads of Color - Paint or Sell?

I am continue to work on my '72 lime green 240z and about to embark on the rear suspension rebuild. You can see my on going resto thread here - http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread47863.html The car is an original lime green car, I have already done a lot of good work to it but to be honest I would love for it to be silver. To do it right I know it would mean pulling the engine and stripping the car down to a rolling shell, all of which I can do. The floor pans needs to be replaced and even though I have a good MIG welder it may be something best left to a pro, still deciding this. Once I complete the rear suspension rebuild the car will be drivable again and probably a pretty good driver at that given everything I am doing. However knowing that if I strip the car down between minor body work, floor pans, paint, weather stripping, re-chroming the bumpers, putting it back together, on and on and on I will quickly hit $10K+ in the car. I know no one makes money with a restoration project, I am just wanting to gauge weather I should get the car back to reliable driver status and sell it to someone who really wants and loves a lime green Z or move forward with it and paint it the color I want. The car is not matching numbers so there is no real collector value here.
    08/1970 240z Series-1 #8011 - Silver, black int., 2.4L I-6, 5spd, 90% restored.
    06/1973 VW Karmann Ghia - Black convertible, 4spd, 1600cc air-cooled engine.
    11/2013 Scion FR-S - Silver, 6spd, a car with the soul of a Z for the modern times.
    Restoration thread of my old '72 240z -> http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/o...1972-240z.html

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I'm 50/50 on this. Selling the Lime car to buy a similar car in the color you prefer would probably be the best path. That is assuming that you can find a silver car that is as good as (or better than) your current car for no more than what you sell the Lime car for. Frankly, shopping for a solid 240Z these days is tough enough w/o being locked in on a single color.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-22303

If Lime Green is no longer your preference then wrap up your work on this car and move it along to a new owner. Take the proceeds from the sale and some of the money you might have rolled into the green car and find a car more to your liking without the penalty of a color change.

Jim Arnett
    HLS30-15320 12/1970, original owner
    L24-020208 (original)
    IZCC Original Owner Registry #53

Member ID
    CZCC-23182

You will never get the money out of the car if you sell it to justify all the parts you have put on in your thread. So it'd be a huge financial loss without even considering all of the hours of hard work. That car's going to be about perfect mechanically when your done. Finish the job. Get it back road worthy, drive it for a while then strip it down and paint it. For what it's worth, I like the color, and I have been enjoying the resto-thread.

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Finish it and drive it. Worry about color later, once you're satiated with driving the car. Who knows, maybe you'll grow to like the color more, or at the very least you'll get to drive it for a year or two before making it undriveable again.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-22274

I agree with keeping it. You have a nice 240z with a little work needed to get it road worthy. I personally would just avoid putting off the inevitable and tear the entire thing down right now. That's what I did with mine. Yes, the time and money kinda suck, but you're going to do it in the end with another 240, so why not start now? Besides, as Arne pointed out, the chance of finding a good 240z in the color you want without having to repaint it anyway is... Err... Not likely. And I disagree with Arne in the fact that I doubt you could sell your car, buy a 240z in the same condition in silver, and STILL come out ahead. Maybe... But unlikely unless you find a shell in good condition, which is also unlikely.

Just my $0.02.

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

Put two wide silver stripes down the center outlined in black.
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

My, dos centavos.....1, you have done tons of mechanical work so the next step is the body work and to paint her in your choice color. 2, sell her and make me an offer and I will deliver my Silver Z to you.......
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 12-10-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

Everyone makes really good points about the decisions in front of me. I can definitely see both sides of the coin. Once thing I have determined is items like replacing the fuel tank vent lines is not on very many peoples to-do list as it is now something I ask about on every 240z I call on. After 40 years even a car kept in the best conditions will need this done and I know first hand how big of a PITB it is to do. The rear suspension bushings need to be replaced on my car regardless if I keep it or not so I will move forward on that over the next few weeks as I get time. Like you guys said, maybe getting some seat time once it is running again will help me make the final decision.

I appreciate your offer OJ but I have seen the pics of your LS1 Z and it is beautiful and very likely out of my price range.
    11/2013 Scion FR-S - Silver, 6spd, a car with the soul of a Z for the modern times.
    Restoration thread of my old '72 240z -> http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/o...1972-240z.html

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

Quote Originally Posted by 72 OJ View Post
    My, dos centavos.....1, you have done tons of mechanical work so the next step is the body work and to paint her in your choice color. 2, sell her and make me an offer and I will deliver my Silver Z to you.......
    OJ, after all your writeups I find it hard to believe you'd part with that car.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Quote Originally Posted by tlorber View Post
    OJ, after all your writeups I find it hard to believe you'd part with that car.
    Hardway-- excuse the thread sabotage............tlorber , not in my plans ,but if someone comes with a genuine attractive cash offer or cash plus a nice clean vintage Datsun(510 two door ) trade I might let her go
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 12-11-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-19498
    308 Palmetto Avenue Melbourne Florida 32901

I agree with keeping it. The money you might NOT make in a sale can be used to forge ahead with what you are doing. In it's current shape a potential buyer will just try to wear you down on the selling price and you may not have enough money to buy one in the shape you HOPE for. Project 3/72 is a rolling shell and probably needs more work than "Mr. Limey", no intense offended. You are further along than you think although I know you are just itching to drive and stop restoring. Trust me I know the feeling. Since you have the welder do the repairs yourself. In the end all the thanks will go to you.
    "HAPPINESS"....isn't just around the corner......"HAPPINESS"....is the CORNER"

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Pay it all up front now or slowly pay for what you want. Let's face it, to find the right color, and the paint to be nice, and nothing else to do to the car= $$$$$$ right now
    Or, plug along and change the color to what you want as you fix up the car and KNOW what you have.

Done the color change thing myself(ironically I got rid of the silver-BUT I do love silver), it's a lot of work, but not much more than a quality paint job.

Those days you are waiting on parts or saving up for something, get some sandpaper(cheap) and start sanding those tough areas-door jambs and such. Primer bare spots and keep plugging along.Are you decent at body work? It's worth big bucks to yourself.

Hell. drive it and sand it too! Get all the bugs out before you spray some pretty color on there.

The other point of view is that you can take advantage of someones else's investment. Let you said, noone makes money on these deals, and you might be money ahead( not to speak of time) to spend the money up front and buy a real nice silver car. We all know what it's worth to have a solid body and good paint on a car.
    Steve
    71 240z,bw-5sp 2.4-40 over,balanced,e-88,big valves,ported&polished, stage2,header, triple Mikuni's 40's
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-21301

Keep the lime green Z and finish the work you've started, no you'll never get out of it what have in it, but you will have great satisfaction in completing the work. Mine was red with purple flames on the hood and fenders, I did a all of the work myself with little experience at welding and painting, but good experience with mechanical stuff. The car is now Daytona yellow and I have about 11K in it, but in the long run it was well worth the $ and effort to me. Drive it for while and then paint it the color you want then drive it some more.
    75 280Z almost done
    49 Chevy 3100 p/u next project
    96 Dodge 2500 4X4 tows my 5th wheel

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

I appreciate the thoughts and comments guys. You are right, finding a really good silver car will cost really good money and chances of it being within driving distance is slim to none. I like MadKaw's suggestion of sanding and priming one area or panel at a time and still be able to drive it. That is very do-able and makes progress too. You guys are right, any buyer that came to look at it would beat me up on everything that was not done regardless of what I was asking for the car. For now I think my real issue is a lack of patience. I am ready to drive the car and ready for it to look good. I guess it will all come in due time.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

After all the work you have done Id keep it. If you want to paint it silver, why not. Its your car and if you didnt do the work you have done, it would probably be in th junk yard by now. Once you finish the rear end, you can drive it a while and enjoy the results.
    My car was originally light blue and the PO painted it red and not very good either. I like white but itsa big job stripping done to do a colour change. What ever I do, the red is going. If it doesnt flake off first

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Sounds a little like "mid project remorse" that happens when you start to overthink the plan you started with and you see how far you still have to go. I'm with those who say finish it, have a little fun with it, get some positive feedback from friends, and then decide if you prefer a silver Z.
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

My 2 cents, keep it original color and enjoy the car.

But it's your car, so do what you want. It's going to be a beauty either way!
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-15588

keep it and enjoy it . Dennis nailed it , '' mid project remorse '' happens because of the dreaded '' while I'm there scenario '' . Get a can of chalkboard paint and paint out a wall or cabinet and make a list of all you need to do and then prioritize what is really important to get done , do it and wipe your chalkboard clean . You will feel satisfaction watching the list grow smaller . I did a mostly complete rolling resto and was able to enjoy my z without feeling like I was getting lost in the project . I taught myself how to stitchweld from the miller site and body and paint were as well from online tutorials . As my dad says '' I didn't know much when I was young , but I sure learned a lot along the way . By the way I like the green , it stands out , as a z should !
    Chris
    71-z , great for me , awesome for the parts store , hey I'm helping the local economy !

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

fuzze,

I like the quote: "I didn't know much when I was young , but I sure learned a lot along the way". I've always felt it was good to try learning / doing things myself._ Those that "can do", will survive the coming zombie apocolypes...

I'm impressed! Stitch welding sheet metal well is an art. I suck at welding and wouldn't trust my welds for anything important... -Similar for bodywork. I'm slow, but I have done it before with acceptable results.
    I'm a living example of the following statement: "Good Judgement comes from Experience, and Experience often comes from Bad Judgement" _
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-15588

Thank you Julio for the compliment . I have had the good fortune of having a few careers that have allowed me to be creative . I lived in Whistler 30 years ago where I worked as a Chef and I have done Industrial work in the Mills and refinery's which taught me about mechanics , I painted the old style satellite dishes with electro-static powder coating and my current creative flow is sculpting stone into fine works of art . My point is that in this one life that we have to live , we should at least give things a try . My neighbor paints cars for a living and he advised me throughout my project . My former co-worker is a incredible welder and he as well advised me when the going was a bit tough and of course this site for all the help and encouragement that it has to offer .
    I hope that you are following your thread Hardway and you feel a little less stressed with the support that you have around you .
    Z ya ltr
    Chris
    71-z , great for me , awesome for the parts store , hey I'm helping the local economy !

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

I appreciate all the comments guys. The term "mid project remorse" hit the nail on the head. At this point I am going to keep it and press on. I have been following my thread and everyone's support of my project. On the Z, I just got in too deep off the bat but felt a lot of it was necessary since I seemed to uncover one safety hazard after another as I made repairs. This car has certainly proved to be a good learning platform as I have taught myself to weld on it. I have done big projects on other cars in the past, suspension rebuilds, engine swaps, interior restorations, but never cutting out metal and welding in new. As far as the paint goes, given my budget it will be sticking around for awhile. Once I reach the point where I want to paint it I will see if I can partner with a local body and paint shop to do as much work as I can based on their guidance that will help produce a high quality finished product.

Member ID
    CZCC-21253

{apologies in advance to those with silver 240Z}

A silver 240Z gets lost in a sea of silver cars. Everywhere you look...another silver friggin' car. While Lime Green my not be your style, it is an original color for a Z, screams early 70's, and gets noticed by those who love it and hate it alike. It's a polarizing and that's why I think it is cool on a Z.

Yeah, you could get out from under your project and buy a silver Z, but the reality is this; any 40 year old car is a project car. Stuff wears out, breaks, or simply starts misbehaving. You can deal with this crap in a car that you invested $10k into, or a car that you paid $10k for. There's no free lunch with a 40 year old car.

You have sweat equity in the Lime Green car and have real "ownership". That is something that just can't be purchased.
    Gary
    Guardian of HLS30-91415
    Previous Owner of a 10/70 240Z ('83-'85)

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Yeah, those silver cars... Geeze..
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

You are a true Z addict , me 2..............I WILL NOT SELL MY Z..........she is my money pit ,,,,so who cares

Member ID
    CZCC-21264

Heart broken

Member ID
    CZCC-26040

Hardway,
    Having restored the same 240Z twice (the second time due to 2' of salt water flooding) and spending $10K the first time and probably $5K the second time, my opinion is that if the paint is still good, leave it the color it is, unless you are willing to just have the outer skin painted (just tapping over the trim and glass). As far as new floors, since this is not a structural area, I would recommend you weld them your self. My first street/race Z developed stress cracks behind the rear windows due to a large floor rust pan (i.e. no floors) issue. Also, not only the cost of the restoration you want to do, the time also. To rebuild my running Z after it was flooded has taken four years. I also had to weld in new back up supports for the T/C mounts. Though not a "pro" job, the work came out well.
    Jim
    71 240 Z

Thread Information