Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Datsun 240Z

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Blue, thanks for the tip

I checked and 1 wheel seems the holes are worn out, when I put it on the hub, and put the bolts on and then loosen up a bit, I can move it up and down,left and right a little bit, while the other 3 didn't.

I changed wheels front to back, and it did help a little. The steering wheel and the car is steady to about 50 mph, after that the steering wheel starts to shake and vibrate, also I can feel it through the car. Must be a tire/rim problem...

I will take the car to a shop that's specialized in rim repair and also let them put new tires on right away, these ones are from 2002 to old.. and they might help with the problem.

The plugs fooled again today, I will try to get stock needles.
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Did you try swapping front and back wheels?

How do the wheels align with the hub? Are the centre holes in the wheel "hubcentric"?

FYI my car was "snakey" at high rpms due to a failed strut insert in the back.
    Different to explain in English, but they are not self centered bolts.

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Default Hubcentric

The centre hole in the rim is the same diameter as the hub in "hubcentric" systems. This helps with centering the wheel to the hub.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hub_centric_wheel.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	62977

If you do not have this match of wheel center diameter to hub protrusion diameter then carefully and evenly tighten all lug nuts slowly and try to turn all in a few threads at a time while going side to side and also rocking the wheel when first tightening by hand to make the nuts fit best.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

The centre hole in the rim is the same diameter as the hub in "hubcentric" systems. This helps with centering the wheel to the hub.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hub_centric_wheel.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	62977

If you do not have this match of wheel center diameter to hub protrusion diameter then carefully and evenly tighten all lug nuts slowly and try to turn all in a few threads at a time while going side to side and also rocking the wheel when first tightening by hand to make the nuts fit best.
    Also, non-hub centric wheels (i.e. lug centric) typically require a shanked lug nut.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

It doesn't center on the hub, but on the bolts, but the problem must be in the wheels, I swopped front to back, and it did alot towards the vibration..it's alot less. So will try take it to a specialized shop this week if possible. New tires for sure, can't take the risk.

I got some stock needles for the carbs from a friend, and put them in, also turned the mixture screws more lean, so will see what it does overtime.

Also RF brake caliper was leaking, and used a rebuild kit to fix it. 2 small things done today

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Still had no time to get new tires. I did found out the wheel seems to center itself on the conical ring, that's on the nut. But it's not a flat ring, that falls into a groove, like the 3rd in the picture below. I can feel a small conical edge in the rim to. But not sure if this is centering the wheel correctly.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Made an appointment for monday for new tires, and they will check the wheel alignment to.

Member ID
    CZCC-22755

You can get inserts, so the wheel centers on the hub. Anyway, you could ask the shop to do a test on the wheels themselves before mounting the tires. Good luck, and hope you get it sorted.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Got the new tires on Dunlop Streetresponse. Made a big difference, now it only has some small vibrations. I will change schoks and all rubber bushings/moutings, and joints over time. Also ordered 16 new bolts for the wheels, the old ones are tired.
    Pics to follow.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Here's some pictures, I also refurbished the steering wheel and gear knob, and put the seatbelts in

Member ID
    CZCC-24552

Default tire balancing

If you can't get a perfectly smooth ride even after replacing rubber suspension bushings,
    try getting the tires balanced while the tires are on the car.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by hr369 View Post
    If you can't get a perfectly smooth ride even after replacing rubber suspension bushings,
    try getting the tires balanced while the tires are on the car.
    You mean road force balancing? There's only companies in the west who do that.
    Anyhow I don't think it's that. I will try 4 new shocks first.. ordered a set of KYB from Ebay, will have them next week. Will see what it does. I did read they have a critical function with McPherson suspensions...

Member ID
    CZCC-21096

Bart,

Glad to see more progress on the Z! I've been too busy with other stuff to work on my car.

Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks Robert. I know what you mean...I also work on the Z when I have some time between work or after work.

I have taken the old exhaust from under the car, including the downpipe, and will bring it to a shop that will make a stock replica.

The seats had new covers, but the foam underneath is mostly all gone, this week, I will bring the seats away, to be refurbed with new foam.

And also waiting for my KYB schoks that are underway from the states, and will arrive this week.
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 05-27-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Quick delivery. UPS is generally very fast, but can be expansive.
    I have used FedEx a lot through MSA and RockAuto. They take a couple of days longer via Paris, but are cheaper.
    Hope the shocks help with your vibration issues.
    Chas
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I hope so Chas..
    Today I managed to finish the front.. the old shocks where " dead "...
    Lot of work, also because I had to clean everything up, it was all sticky with grease and dirt. And sprayed it black with some paint.

Somebody damaged the left front fender..as you can see in picture, it's not much, but (#@$&# ! I will get it fixed.

I hope to do the back tomorrow. Exhaust shop called that he exhaust is ready wednesday. And the seats also hopefully this week.

I saw a compelete set of urethane bushing on ebay, anybody experience with this? Or are they to stiff, and will make my ride a hell ?

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

The PU bushings make the ride harder. They improved the handling, but that is not a truly fare judgement because the original bushes were old and worn.
    If you have things that rattle in the car, they will rattle alot more. I was on a rattle hunt for awhile after changing over.
    IMO it depends what you want most: better handling or comfort.
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by bartsscooterservice View Post
    I checked and 1 wheel seems the holes are worn out, when I put it on the hub, and put the bolts on and then loosen up a bit, I can move it up and down,left and right a little bit, while the other 3 didn't.
    All of the slotted mag.'s that I have had - use a shanked lug nut {as LeonV mentioned}. With all four shanked lug nuts in place - but loosened a couple of threads on the STUD - you should not be able to move the wheel up/down nor side to side. If you can - that wheel is shot, and needs to be replaced. OR the lug nuts themselves are worn and do not fit tightly in the holes. Or the shank is way too short for the wheel.

You want to make sure that the shanked lug nuts you are using - are slightly shorter than the thickness of the material in the center of the wheel. That is to say they should not protrude past the back or inside surface of the wheel.

Still had no time to get new tires. I did found out the wheel seems to center itself on the conical ring, that's on the nut. But it's not a flat ring, that falls into a groove, like the 3rd in the picture below. I can feel a small conical edge in the rim to. But not sure if this is centering the wheel correctly.

The slotted mags do not use any of these types of lug nuts nor bolts. There may be an exception for "Uni-Lug" type wheels - but I don't see that in your case.

If you have a Stock Spare Tire/Wheel - look at the holes for the Studs in that wheel, and look at the set of stock lug nuts if you have them. That is an example of the Conical / Tapered arrangement shown in the diagram. By the way - because the spare tire/wheel are usually the "stock" type - you need to be sure to carry a stock set of lug nuts in the Z - if you need to use the spare.

Your lug nuts should look like theses - Yes/No? The washer used with these is not counter sank in the surface of the wheel like the "Flat Type" you show.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Hi Bart,

What Carl says is right. I have the same wheels and lug nuts on my Z. I can take a photo of the lug nut and wheel if you want?

Cheers
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

@ Carl and Eurodat: the problem is solved with new lug nuts and washers, but don't know how to explain in English.

Update:

The exhaust is on, also the new kyb schoks! Still waiting for the seats, wanted to drive this weekend, but will be next week. Tomorrow the seats are done.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

The seats where deliverd monday and it's quite a difference ! But sadly still the vibration issue ( less though ). New engine and gearbox mounts are on the way, also t/c rods, Original spark plug cable set, original Hitachi oil filled coil, a new set of market lights front and rear from Thailand. Also on the way new tie rods. Hope it will help a little more

I need your guys advice on this:

Datsun 240Z Total Polyurethane Bushing Kit Black | eBay

Would it be worth it ? Or should I go for stock rubber bushings? But where do I order these ?

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Hi Bart,

My Z has Hyperflex PU bushings from Energysuspension and I am happy with the results. The ride is a little harder, but it handles better.
    If you order from them, you will need to tell them the size of your sway bar for the two chassis insulators. They are not in the kit. $47.00 shipping and €36.00 dutch duties & taxes.
    Energy Suspension 7.18101 HyperFlex Master Kit

Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Okay new problems today...

I went driving, on the highway suddenly a bang, and the temp gauge went to the far right, also the car was going all ways besides straight... I put it to a stop alongside the road quicky. Opened the hood and saw coolant fluid leaking from the pump : waterpump shot. Anyhow got the car back home on a truck. And had a look:

Bearings from the waterpump shot : need new waterpump
    Front wheel bearings shot: I think this was the problem of vibration :O ?
    Anyhow will change all the wheel bearings now...

Bad luck, but at least it a sign of things I need to replace

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Thats a bumer, at least you found the source of your vibration.
    When I did my suspension rebuild 2 years ago I change out all the wear parts. New wheelberaings + seals, caliper seals and pistons, ball joints, tie-rod ends, top strut nsulators and shocks along with all the PU bushings. The rear wheel bearings and spindle pins are a pain in the butt to change.
    Theses cars are old and require more attention to keepthem going, but thats part of the fun IMO.

If you have not found a water pump yet, you can order one here: Z Parts Centre :: 240-260-280-280ZX water pump

Goodluck with the repairs
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Hi Chas,

Do you know all the bearings numbers by chance? Front and rear including the conical bearings. I have an adress here in NL for all kinds of bearings.

Thnx, Bart.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

The front bearings are easy to get local
    Front inner: ID:31.75 OD:59.131 T:15.875mm
    SKF P/N: LM 67048/010/Q €12.75
    Front outer: ID:19.05. OD:45.237. T:15.494mm
    SKF P/N: LM 11949/910/Q €9.75
    Seal 48/62x6mm
    Nissan part 40232-A0101 €6.49

The rear are special? I have seen then in kits for around $70.00 on ebay, but then you have the shipping to deal with. Best price I can find is Z Parts centre from Jan Rozendaal here in Nederland. See link: Z Parts Centre :: 240-260-280Z rear wheel bearing kit

Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

You know the bearing codes by chance? I saw you gave the inner and outer diameter ?

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

I dont have the old bearings anymore. It was about two years back when I did them, but these part numbers where the same part numbers that was on the bearings that came out.

Front inner: LM 67048/010/Q
    Front outer: LM 11949/910/Q

Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks for the info. I got the numbers from the old bearings and will get them locally:

2 x Klein tonlager: NTN 4T-LM11949 YF
    2 x Groot tonlager: NTN 4T-LM67048 YE
    2 x Keering: 40232A0101 SWO 48 62 6-1 C8

New goodies arrived from the US and Thailand ! Pics to follow...

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Did some small things, while waiting for other parts... the T/C rods something went wrong on delivery , I called PostNL. It's now heading back to the US, so the seller has to ship again.. Don't know how can it be, because other packages did arrive with the correct adress.

Prothane sway bar bushings including bracket

Throttle boot

Spark plug cable set

Logo for hatch
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 06-19-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Had some time left, so installed the new marker lights front and rear.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

While waiting, re polished and waxed the car today, and the steering wheel is now done in a thicker clear coat ( for boats ) with a brush, much better, will do 2 coats.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Okay, so today I got some more things done again. Currently only thing I'm waiting for is the T/C rods.

I got the old steering rack rubbers replaced with polythurane ones, from the kit from Prothane ( Z-partshouse ).

I got the new waterpump in, new v-belt, and also did a rebuild on the alternator and gave it some new bearings ( the old ones where noisy ), cleaned everything up etc..

New washer tank with new motor from Mitsuba, new oil filled coil from Hitachi, etc.

Hope to get it back on it's wheels coming 2 weeks.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

One side done, torqued the wheel bearings down the factory specs according to the FSM. Will torque all the bolts from the suspension down when the car is under load on the ground, now they are just hand tight. The other side I can't finish, because the outer wheel bearing is molted to the damn axle ! I need to get a new axle first

The horror:

Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 07-06-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-23125

Do you have a source for the axle?
    C

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

nope, haven't found one yet, can you help?

Member ID
    CZCC-23125

Maybe, what side and how much do you need? What is the best option for shipping?
    Charles

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Driver side front ( left ) as you can see on the pic. standard shipping I guess? I'll send you a pm

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by Patcon View Post
    Do you have a source for the axle?
    C
    I sent you pm, a friend can help, he ships from San Francisco..
    @ LeonV: also pm'ed you about the diff !

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Before I attempted to replace the front strut and axle...

I would take a cut off wheel - on a die grinder - and cut the bearing's metal shell in half. It should then peel off the axle. You might need to then use a wire brush to clean up the bearing seat on the axle.

The metal used in the bearing shell is not near as hard, nor strong as that used in the axle. Chances are good that the axle is fine - you just need to remove the old bearing metal.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-23125

Bart,
    Let me know if you still need me to pull the part. I think I would try cutting the race off first. You have nothing to lose from salvaging the existing spindle and Carl is right they are very hard.
    Charles

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I tried what Carl said, cut in half, but still won't come off, I tried everything.. torches... hammers...pullers.. grinders.. f_cking thing is welded to the damn axle !

Charles I send you PM .. if you can send it to there would be nice ! I will pay you for the costs don't worry.

@ Carl: allready pulled everything from under the car... so it's easier to replace with a good axle now..

Member ID
    CZCC-23125

I will pull one out and send you some info
    Charles

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Update today: currently will be waiting for the parts to arrive from Charles and Leon ( thanks ! ) , can take a few weeks more...

Member ID
    CZCC-23125

When do you expect the parts?
    C

Member ID
    CZCC-23125

When do you expect the parts?
    C

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I'll have to see, the person responsible for sending the parts isn't very fast

The diff from LeonV isn't even picked up yet, that should have been done previous week on a monday...

Hope everything works out.. or the next time I'm going back to air shipment !

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I have managed to find another axle closer to home, but I still need the differential from Leon, those are just to expensive here ! I'll wait and see when it's here. Charles I will use your part for spare !

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

So far things I need to do are torque everything on the front end down now it's on the wheels, and bleed the front brakes again. Then it can drive again. Engine runs fine now with the new waterpump. Alternator is giving a maximum of 15 volts @ the battery, is this okay or to high ? I am not sure. The condensator on the alternator is broken, I need to get a new one, or can I leave it out ?

At least I can drive, but it would be nice if the diff from LeonV makes it to here.. and the part from Charles. W'll see.

Meantime I managed to fix all the locks. The situation was I only got 1 key with the car from Stolze, and it didn't fit the other locks, now I took my rear hatch lock to a professional company in security and locks, and they made 2 new keys for the lock, and it now also works on the doors.. so the ignition lock must have been changed somewhere.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by pressedsteel View Post
    Hi Bart -

Alan VanGundy here - previous owner of your '71 before it crossed the pond! It's great to have found you and hear these updates on "my" 240!

As a couple other members noted, I had the car for sale locally but ended up selling it to Stolze on Ebay. When the car left on an auto transport to the Netherlands, I figured it was the last time I would see it or hear of it. Small world indeed! I had found pictures of it on Stolze's website but I'm glad to learn it has found a permenant home.

I was on these forums regularly when I owned the Z but haven't been around much since selling it. Imagine my surprise today when I found your comment on the Youtube video and finding this thread on Classic Z. I imagine it might have equaled your surprise when you found YOUR 240 on Youtube!

Anyway, I have owned several "classic" cars and always appreciated knowing their history so I'm glad you received the paperwork I sent along with the car. I'll be happy to chat with you more and share comments on the car.

Alan V.
    Alan,

I think I found out the rear bumper must have been damaged during shipment!

Gr Bart

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Okay.. it's back on the road again. LeonV managed to drop off the diff, so let's see if it makes it to Stolze. I also changed the engine and gearbox mounts, the ride is pretty good now.

29 september the 240z will join a local classic car rally..

Betuwse Rally voor oldtimers, Bemmel on Wheels

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Cool to see a grease reservoir!

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I got the rebuild ztherapy carbs from Chris ( Grannyknot ) today, and mounted them this evening. ( pics to follow tomorrow ). But she doesn't want to start, if I use starterfluid into the air filter there's a reaction from the engine. So I believe it's not getting enough fuel. I did crank for quite a while with the choke on, but only little reaction from the engine. Any advice ? I'll look tomorrow again.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

okay, itˊs not the fuel delivery, the carbs are great by the way thanks chris! Ignition problems again . My brother is helping, wˊll continue tomorrow. We managed to get it running, but something is very wrong with the ignition timing, also the crankshaft pulley key was missing ! ( so the timing marks on the pulley are wrong ) Updates to follow. I want to have it ready for next week, because of the classic car rally on sunday.
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 09-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

the crankshaft pulley key was missing !

Wow that is crazy!!! Make sure the seat belts are bolted all the way in! Who knows what the PO or their mechanic has done!!!!

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Wow that is crazy!!! Make sure the seat belts are bolted all the way in! Who knows what the PO or their mechanic has done!!!!
    Yep ! My brother and I are going to take of the timing cover today, we just want to be sure !

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Okay so finally we managed to get the engine running again yesterday around 24.00. It was an ignition problem again, partly coil hooked up wrong, and timing.
    Also placed a few new gaskets, and found a spacer that's on top of the valve, in the oil pan.. that was missing from the beginning when I got it.

More to follow on this, we have to get it running for the sunday event.

Anybody can confirm the distributor vacuum advance hose is in the right place ?

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Finally got it running right... I had to turn the carburetor mixture screws richer, because it wouldn't idle properly, I wouldn't have thought, because Chris had them on a 2.8 engine ! Timing is also correct, and it idles fine now.

I have to admit, the gas pedal problem is GONE ! It's so much smoother now :O Feels like driving a new car.. maybe it's a bit to over sensitive and I have to get used to it now.

Anyhow it's ready for tomorrow's classic car rally

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

Have fun tomorrow.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Bart, Enjoy it while you can. I have a feeling winter will hit us shortly. Have fun in the rally.
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-7454

Finally got it running right... I had to turn the carburetor mixture screws richer, because it wouldn't idle properly, I wouldn't have thought, because Chris had them on a 2.8 engine ! Timing is also correct, and it idles fine now.

I have to admit, the gas pedal problem is GONE ! It's so much smoother now :O Feels like driving a new car.. maybe it's a bit to over sensitive and I have to get used to it now.

Anyhow it's ready for tomorrow's classic car rally
    Have fun tomorrow Bart!
    Jerry Purcell
    1970 HLS30 00029 Owner since 1976 Now owned by Les Canaday (Classic Datsun Motorsports)
    1972 HLS30 93606 IZCC Registion #105 Original owner back home after full restoration by Classic Datsun Motorsports

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks everyone !

Well yesterday was fun, the weather was pretty nice and sunny I don't know where to find pictures of the event yet, but I guess they will show up later this week. Although this was the first time they held this event, it went pretty good.

A lot of people where looking at the car, don't see an old Z that often here !

I made a picture of the car this morning as it sits

Blue likes this.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Couldn't find any pictures of the event, but found a local newspaper article about it this week.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

And the latest part from the US.. chrome bumper guard, was stored since the late 70's or something, but in perfect condition !

Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 10-10-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Beautiful! That diff better be on the next shipment to Stolze...
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks Leon !

If the weather is nice tomorrow, I will head to Stolze, and talk about the diff... it's taking to long really...

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Thanks Leon !

If the weather is nice tomorrow, I will head to Stolze, and talk about the diff... it's taking to long really...
    Yeah, the whole ordeal is kind of ridiculous... Good luck!
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Went to Stolze, but still no diff Leon... I'll have to wait. But I'm sceptic about it... maybe I have to look for another one somewhere.

Meanwhile I sandblasted the rear panels and painted them gloss black with a few clear coats.

Yesterday I found the floors of the car covered with water under the mats.. only to be finding the stupid sunroof leaking again . It's inside the garage now, going to decide what to do with the stupid roof, either fix for now or remove the damn thing.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

@ Carl and Eurodat: the problem is solved with new lug nuts and washers, but don't know how to explain in English.

Update:

The exhaust is on, also the new kyb schoks! Still waiting for the seats, wanted to drive this weekend, but will be next week. Tomorrow the seats are done.

Where did you get your exhaust system, and what kind is it?
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

It's a replica of the original one. A shop in Utrecht ( That's a city here ) that makes custom exhausts made it, using measurements of my old exhaust.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Here's a video of a cold start. I hope it works.

View My Video

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Here's a video of a cold start. I hope it works.

View My Video
    Flashplayer Me and my iPad. Ill have a look later on the pc.

Goodluck with your diff. I understand your situation and frustration. Been through it with a inlet manifold from the US. Been waiting 14 months. I gave up waiting and found another one. The first one nether came.
    Chas
    Last edited by EuroDat; 10-29-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Got tired of my mom driving a Fiat...so I helped her getting this...Z3

Funny I read it's been designed by a Japanese guy working for BMW. It's imported from Swiss, one of the 15.000 made in 1996 ( the first year ). It needs work, but overall all maintenance reports are with the car, it never missed a dealer service, which is a good thing.

Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 11-02-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by EuroDat View Post

Goodluck with your diff. I understand your situation and frustration. Been through it with a inlet manifold from the US. Been waiting 14 months. I gave up waiting and found another one. The first one nether came.
    Chas
    It's still in San Francisco with the shipping company..

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Man, He must be waiting for the Titanic to pick it up on the return trip. Hope he sends it soon.

Nice Z you found for your mum.
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Man, He must be waiting for the Titanic to pick it up on the return trip. Hope he sends it soon.

Nice Z you found for your mum.
    Chas
    They said to me they didn't ship any containers to Joop Stolze yet... , so have to wait till they do...

That's why I don't like sea shipping much, but airfreighting a diff is costly lol
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 11-02-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-23125

I have started dealing in BMW Z3's at my dealership. I have a 2001 BMW M roadster that has front end damage. We will be repairing it soon. I am looking forward to driving that one. 315 HP M3 motor only available in the USA for 2 years. Aught to scoot...
    C

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

^ that's a rocket !! This is just the 1.8 4 cylinder, fast enough for my mother

By the way I joined a local Japanese classic car club

I saw this guy in De Telegraaf newspaper with his Datsun 1200, and found out he lives close by, so why not send him an e-mail to join...

Below is the confirmation letter and a membership card.

Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 11-09-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Just arrived today, full weather stripping for the car from datsunparts llc

So now I have all the things for re-paint. Hopefully somewhere spring.

Member ID
    CZCC-29282

As for the vibration, take a look at how many wheel weights are on your wheels. If there appears to be an excessive amount of weight required to balance a wheel/tire, you might have problem with a tire being a bit out of balance. If the wheel is out of balance a bit and the tire is out a bit and the heavy spots line up, it's noticeable.

I had this problem with a Michelin tire on an Audi -- they broke down the tire, rotated it 180 degrees on the wheel, reseated the tire, and rebalanced. Took fewer weights and the vibration was gone.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post
    As for the vibration, take a look at how many wheel weights are on your wheels. If there appears to be an excessive amount of weight required to balance a wheel/tire, you might have problem with a tire being a bit out of balance. If the wheel is out of balance a bit and the tire is out a bit and the heavy spots line up, it's noticeable.

I had this problem with a Michelin tire on an Audi -- they broke down the tire, rotated it 180 degrees on the wheel, reseated the tire, and rebalanced. Took fewer weights and the vibration was gone.
    The vibration is 95% gone now. I also did what you say, it helped, but most seemed vibration from the front suspesion/steering rack etc, worn out parts, which I replaced. I think when a better diff is placed, it's all gone.

Member ID
    CZCC-29863

Nice ride you got there

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

@ filletsunruly: thanks man

A few more things I needed arrived.

Datsun 240z Heater Hoses & Firewall Grommets - NOS
    Datsun 240z,260z,280z,280zx Engine Oil Filter - NOS ( short version )
    Datsun 240z,260z 3 - Way Water Pipe / Connector - NOS
    Datsun 240z Lower Radiator Hose - NOS
    Datsun 240z Air Fliter 1970- 6/72 - NOS
    Datsun 240z Braided Pcv Hose 1/71- 6/72 - NOS
    Datsun 240z,260z,280z,280zx Accelerator Pedal Pad - NOS
    Datsun 240z,260z,280z,280zx Radiator Drain Tap - NOS
    Datsun 240z,260z,280z Foot Rest Pad NOS

And 2 second hand interior strut caps. I cleaned them and gave it some black paint, semi gloss.

Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 12-03-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

It's still in San Francisco with the shipping company..
    I forgot, I got a message from IGL Shipping that they diff was under way that was on 17 November... So hopefully it will arrive this month.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I bought something interesting from Ebay: Original 1971 ad signed by Mr.K in 2011 in Tokyo.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks. Yeah I believe that's what the original information says also.

Took the 240Z out for a drive partly in Germany again today. The weather was not so good. But it was a nice cruise again

There's a few things on my mind, firstly the whining of the differential. My patience is running dry waiting for the diff from the US. If it will not show up in Januari I will be bringing away my current differential for a rebuild.

Secondly I'd really like the have a 5 speed for both overdrive/lesser fuel consumption and more speed on highway, since I feel the engine has power enough on the light car. But I don't like to modd it with later era parts...

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Yesterday I re-polished my mag wheels again...lot's of elbow grease
    First wet sand to max 1000 grit, then polished it by hand with Autosol. Took me about 6 hours for all 4.

Blue likes this.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Chas

Good news... seems the diff finally arrived...
    I'm going to pick it up next saturday, let's wait and see

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Hey Bart,

Thats good news. I was wondering if you woulg ever get the thing. Hope its an improvement on what your now using after all that hassle getting it.
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

.Good progress Bart. The wheels look fantastic.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

A small update, the differential from LeonV finally arrived. I will try to mount it this week. Also I bought a classic Datsun Clarion ( JDM ? ) radio, and everything still works

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Got some time to install the radio..

And a small video

View My Video

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Got late last night..but the differential from Leon is on ! I'd say the whine is gone.. there's some noise left, but I think that's because there's almost no sound insulation on the inside. But I can hear the radio again !

Also there's no more clunk when going in reverse
    EuroDat and LeonV like this.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Very much thanks to club members here for your support !

I noticed the differential was leaking a bit, so yesterday morning I checked the gasket from the cover, and it was almost gone ( from age ) , so I put some Winss black gasket maker ( liquid gasket ) on it, and now it's dry Don't want it to be leaking and killing this differential as well..

For other people who want to change the gasket without removing the differential: take out the 2 studs that hold the differential to the mustache bar. ( support the diff ) Release the mustache bar from the mounts and drop it a bit.. now you can take off the cover.

Coming Tuesday I will be going to a wheel repair shop and have them check the vibration issue..
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 02-01-2014 at 02:35 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Hi Bart,

Thats great news that you finally got the diff. Bit of a bummer that you still have that vibration issue.

The front of my diff has a counterweight and the PO welded extra weights on it. I took it off because his welding was pretty raged to say the least. I soon discovered why it was on there. It had a vibration around 80km/hr. Put it back on and it was gone.
    We have done this on centrifuges where I work.
    Thats the thing with vibrations. If you play with weights you can change the zone of the frequency which causes the vibration. It won't stop vibrations, but it can more them to a zone where you won't have any problems.

If you can't stop the leak, you can order a new Diff cover gasket at your local Nissan dealer for €2.85. The gasket and breather are still available.

Goodluck and sucess hunting.
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks for that info Chas, if it will leak I'll order that gasket. So far I haven't seen anything leaking.

Now 2 days ago I went to that wheel repair shop, and they made spacers for the front wheels, the rear wheels they couldn't do, but said they center enough on the bolts.. Okay anyhow I went back home, and the vibration issue was alot less..maybe 50% less. So again an improvement.. but now I could feel other issues.

When driving 50 mph in 4th gear if I go easy on the throttle there's no vibration, but when I hit the throttle there it is.. So again I checked at home and found the rear wheel bearings to have play. So I'm going to replace these aswell then since they are old.. Also to be sure I ordered the driveshaft and the two half shafts with the u-joints rebuilded from Ebay, so I can swap them out aswell ( and rebuild the current ones later on as a spare set ), these must be tired also.

If those 2 things are done, I must have changed everything on the undercarriage and driveline as far as I know. Hope it's going to help with the small vibration that's left.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Hi Bart,

Sent you a PM, but thought it might be handy for others to post the wheel bearings info here as well.

When I did mine two years back, I ordered the bearings from Nissan and they sent SKF bearings in Nissan packaging.

Bearings:
    Inner: Nissan p/n: 43215-E4100 (Nachi RLS10-C4) --> SKF GRW116
    Outer: Nissan p/n: 43210-E4100 (NSK B31Z-16C4) --> SKF GRW117
    In brackets is what came out of my car.

Oil seal Nissan p/n: 43232-E4100 (€5,45/ea)

There is not many manufacturers making the outer bearing these days.
    Warning: Only use the C4 tolerance bearings. The C3 bearings (smaller tolerances) will run much hotter and wear out quickly.

See attachment for SKF catalog. You can search the PDF. Just use the first numbers, eg: 43232 and keep searching till you find the Nissan part number you want. With the SKF number you can find other manufacture of you choice.
    The raer wheel bearings are on page 315 (screen shot).

Succes
    Chas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SKF_WheelBearings.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	69659   SKF_Catalog.pdf  
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I replaced the old and tired steering coupler today. ( old vs new ).

Thread Information