Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Datsun 240Z

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Default My Datsun 240Z

Hello,

My name is Bart, and I've been on this forum before in the past, when I had a 73 240Z. That project never made it to much rust, and I sold it for parts. It's been quiet for a while,and personally I kept thinking of owning another 240Z in the future, but good ones are expensive here in The Netherlands, compared to the US. But since I started my own company, things got better financially, and last year I was able to afford myself another 240Z. This time a 71. -> HLS30 32581

Well I had to share it with you guys offcourse, here are the Z enthousiasts !

Learned from the past on the rust problems, I decided that I didn't want a " that kind of a project " anymore. The old Z cars are almost impossible to find overhere, but oneday thanks to some add on some classic car site, I ended up finding Joop Stolze Classic Cars in the West, and he had about 12 + z's standing there ...

Here's his website: Joop Stolze Classic Cars

This Z is imported from the USA, and I even got the previous owners information with it.

See here:

They where ranged different prices, but all where i quite a good shape. So I decided to take one with a little work to be done for a lower price, it had bad spots on the floor and a bit in the front, but this needed just a little welding. It looked liked the previous owner had jacked the floors up

As it looked then when I picked it up:

Because of my work, I don't have much time to work on the Z, cause I'm busy everyday untill late. I went looking for a classic car repair shop, and eventually found one, not far from my hometown.

The car still needs Dutch license plates, but this will be done soon, when it's goes for the road safety check.
    Things that needed to be done where:

- Engine tune up
    - Welding to the floors and front inside fenders.
    - New underbody coating.
    - Overhaul of brakes and suspension/bushes etc.
    - Rear bumper repair
    - Electrical repair, also alot of meters on the dash did not function.
    - Master brake cylinder replacement
    - small detail things exterior and interior. ( radio, antenna, etc )
    - doors alignment = hell !
    - EU headlights with integrated parking lights.
    - must be forgetting something!

All that's left now, is some piece of the heater/blower towards the central panel, and dovetails ( for the doors ).

Here are some pictures:

ImageShack Album - 14 images

ImageShack(TM) slideshow

And now we are almost done:

Hope you like it.

Bart.
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 01-15-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Nice Z! Welcome to the Group. Always nice to see another '71 getting attention.
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-21096

Hello Bart,

Welcome back to the forum and congratulations on purchasing your 240Z! I immediately noticed the car was previously registered in Iowa. It was located near Des Moines, which is about 2 hours west from where I live in Cedar Rapids, IA. Before finding the 240Z I bought last summer, I used to spend hours online looking at cars for sale and documenting cars that were nearby. When I saw the photos of your Z something looked familiar and then I realized this car was for sale in De Soto, IA last year on Craigslist! Actually, it first went up for sale 2011 and then was relisted in early 2012 (on both Craigslist and Ebay). I've uploaded photos of the car when it was back in the States here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/m...1971-240z.html

It appears to have the normal "midwest" rust, but looks a lot better than most examples I've seen around here. The original ad stated it had interior work, such as new seat covers and carpet. It's also great to see the previous owners kept the original documentation and records.

Congratulations again and keep us posted on your progress!

Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks Robert and Dennis

That information is really cool ! Thank you. I will store those pictures and information with the other paperwork I have.
    Maybe we can even track the first and last owner that would be fun?! As you can see on the pictures, the last owner seemed to be Alan Foster,van Gundy and the first owner Hertel R.E Jr ? As shown on the warranty card.

The bodywork and interior was indeed not bad. But the previous owner did a scrappy even dangerous job on the floorpan repair, as he seemed to have used sheet metal and popnailed it to the floor over the rust....

Member ID
    CZCC-21096

Bart,

It was great meeting you and glad to hear you enjoyed the photos of your car. I still can't believe not long ago it was just a few hours from here and now it's half way around the world! I've talked to all of the previous owners of my car, including the original owner who is now 81. He had some great stories to share about the car and his past experiences. I was hoping to located a photo of the car from the original and second owner, but they didn't seem to take any. Anyway, it looks like Alan VanGundy still lives in Iowa, so he would be easy to contact. Does the paperwork indicate how many previous owners there were? My car came with the maintainence records up to 1988, so I was able to track down the owners. I browsed through your previous rebuild posts and agree this new car is in much better condition than your last Z. I'd guess your previous car had more rust than mine and it spent most of it's life in Illinois. Well, if you'd like help tracking down the previous owners I'd be glad to help!

Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bartsscooterservice View Post
    seemed to have used sheet metal and popnailed it to the floor over the rust....
    Hi Bart, Welcome to the club. I think you mean "pop rivited". Thats a really nice Z you got. Like you said, they are hard to find in Europe. Everthing thats still on the road comes from the states or its never left the garage in the winter or rainy days.
    Goodluck with the restoration and those floorpans.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Hi EuroDat, yes that's the word, '' popnagels '' in our language
    The car is almost done, we allready repaired the floorpans.

This was the best option, going a Euro Z will be fighting rust like madness
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by EhlersRS View Post
    Bart,

It was great meeting you and glad to hear you enjoyed the photos of your car. I still can't believe not long ago it was just a few hours from here and now it's half way around the world! I've talked to all of the previous owners of my car, including the original owner who is now 81. He had some great stories to share about the car and his past experiences. I was hoping to located a photo of the car from the original and second owner, but they didn't seem to take any. Anyway, it looks like Alan VanGundy still lives in Iowa, so he would be easy to contact. Does the paperwork indicate how many previous owners there were? My car came with the maintainence records up to 1988, so I was able to track down the owners. I browsed through your previous rebuild posts and agree this new car is in much better condition than your last Z. I'd guess your previous car had more rust than mine and it spent most of it's life in Illinois. Well, if you'd like help tracking down the previous owners I'd be glad to help!

Robert S.
    Hello Robert,

Isn't it nice to learn some history ? Yeah, it's indeed now on the other side of the atlantic.. It seems Joop Stolze bought the car, and according to your post, it stood there for about 11 months, then I bought it. So lucky, not standing still that long..

I looked at the paperwork, the last owner I can find:

Alan VanGundy
    35754 Nome CT
    De Soto, IA 50069 ( Date on repair bill says 05/24/2010 )

He also seems to have an old adress(es) ?:

VanGundy, Alan Foster
    250 NE Dartmoor Ln 17
    Waukee, IA 50263

Alan VanGundy
    227 Summertree Ln
    Lawrence KS 66049

What I also found in the paperwork:

Steven Campbell
    446 Michigan
    Law, KS 66044 ( date repair bill 4/24/1987, and also a loan check for financing the car I think from 1/3/1987 )

First owner? :

Hertel R E JR
    5244 Foxridge dr
    Shawnee Missionks 66202 ( Date 07/27/1971 )

If you can help that would be very nice

Bart

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I browsed through your previous rebuild posts and agree this new car is in much better condition than your last Z. I'd guess your previous car had more rust than mine and it spent most of it's life in Illinois.
    Yeah that first one, was a total rust bucket, but also a good learner on old Z's... Most parts went okay, I just messed up the floors by cutting it to fast, without looking how it was original, but it could have been okay if it where to be a Hybrid? Anyhow if I had finished to body, alle the other parts where still a drama, so in that time I figured to go for another Z in the future instead. But they are very rare here in the Netherlands, let alone Europe. So it was a nightmare finding a good one, till one day I traced down Joop Stolze by some add. I was like " wow " this place is amazing... like a secret barn find...

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Was searching on Youtube for 240Z vids, suddenly I find my own car up running in 2009 ( looks the same like the pictures Robert S showed ).. now that's cool

Starting the 1971 Datsun 240Z after a couple months sitting. - YouTube

Member ID
    CZCC-6029

Hi Bart -

Alan VanGundy here - previous owner of your '71 before it crossed the pond! It's great to have found you and hear these updates on "my" 240!

As a couple other members noted, I had the car for sale locally but ended up selling it to Stolze on Ebay. When the car left on an auto transport to the Netherlands, I figured it was the last time I would see it or hear of it. Small world indeed! I had found pictures of it on Stolze's website but I'm glad to learn it has found a permenant home.

I was on these forums regularly when I owned the Z but haven't been around much since selling it. Imagine my surprise today when I found your comment on the Youtube video and finding this thread on Classic Z. I imagine it might have equaled your surprise when you found YOUR 240 on Youtube!

Anyway, I have owned several "classic" cars and always appreciated knowing their history so I'm glad you received the paperwork I sent along with the car. I'll be happy to chat with you more and share comments on the car.

Alan V.
    1971 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-21096

Bart: Sorry I haven't responded, the last few weeks have been busy! I'll see what I can found out about the other owners (Steven Campbell and Hertel R E JR). Since Hertel's name is on the warranty card, I'm sure he's the original owner. That was the case with the original owner of my car. I also browsed through Stolze's website and was amazed to see all of those Z's in one place! I hope the progress on your car is coming along.

Alan: Glad to hear from you! After seeing photos of Bart's new Z it looked awfuly familiar. I was still saving to buy a Z when I ran across the ads for your car in Iowa. I was also surprised to see the car show up in the Netherlands. Also, I enjoyed seeing the pohtos of the car on your user profile. Good to meet you and it's nice to meet another Z fan in Iowa!

Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

Member ID
    CZCC-6029

Robert, obviously we have exchanged messages previously since you had additional pictures of the Z. Hopefully you found a great car since we last talked. Sadly, there is no Z car in my garage right now, but you never know what the future holds - I dare say, it might be a 350Z roadster ...

Anyway, I bought Bart's 240 from Steve Campbell in about 2003. Steve lived down the street from me when I lived in Kansas. He had owned her for something like 17 years prior, but it had been sitting in his garage idle for a long time before I bought it and toke it home ... 3 blocks away. I'm betting Steve would like to hear from Bart and find out his Z is in good hands in the Netherlands! I've lost track of Steve but I doubt he would be hard to find. On the other hand, I never had and contact with the original owner and I'm not sure if there was anyone else before Campbell. It will be interesting to hear what develops! I'd be willing to help if needed as well.

Alan V.
    1971 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Hello Alan,

Nice to meet you! By chance I found this youtube video and didn't know if you would respond, but rather quick ! It must be nice for you also to find your Z back! It's in good hands. It needed alot of work to be done, but so far it's roadworthy again, and it will go up for check the 13th of Februari, hope it passes the first time.
    The engine still needs work, but it's running good for now, you got any history on that?

@ Robert and Alan, it would be really cool to track back the other owners, and even the first one! ( if possible ).

Well i'll be posting more pics and maybe a video when the weather will be better.

I really like the color by the way! Will be painting it the same color again when it needs repaint.

Bart.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Bart: Sorry I haven't responded, the last few weeks have been busy! I'll see what I can found out about the other owners (Steven Campbell and Hertel R E JR). Since Hertel's name is on the warranty card, I'm sure he's the original owner. That was the case with the original owner of my car. I also browsed through Stolze's website and was amazed to see all of those Z's in one place! I hope the progress on your car is coming along.

Alan: Glad to hear from you! After seeing photos of Bart's new Z it looked awfuly familiar. I was still saving to buy a Z when I ran across the ads for your car in Iowa. I was also surprised to see the car show up in the Netherlands. Also, I enjoyed seeing the pohtos of the car on your user profile. Good to meet you and it's nice to meet another Z fan in Iowa!

Robert S.
    Plenty of time, no hurries I was also amazed to find so much Datsun Z at Joop Stolze, since they are almost no where to be found here. It's not like his place had a huge billboard or something lol, nothing at all... that was the most amazing thing, like a barn find..

Member ID
    CZCC-21096

Alan,

We never actually met before now. When I ran across cars that interested me, I would save the photos from the sale ads. I remember when yours first went up for sale on Craigslist. Of course living in Iowa, I'm always excited to meet other Z owners in the area. Last June I bought a '71 from Peoria, IL to restore. Your Z didn't have much rust underneath. Mine has the usual Midwest rust because it spent it's life in Peoria. I have been fortunate enough to talk to all of the previous owners, including the original owner who is now 81 years old. He had some good stories to share about the car. I'm still waiting for Spring to really get started on the car.

Hopefully there is another Z in your future. I don't even see many 350ZX's around here. Perhaps you could be one of the first owners of the new Z coming out in 2014?

Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

If failed today on some points for the APK ( road safety check ). I drove the car back to the company that has done the work, and they will repair those points it failed, so next week i'll go back again, and then it should be fine.

Mostly the things I need to do when it's home, are engine (bay ) work. And some more on rust protection.

Member ID
    CZCC-18557

I thought I was having a stroke - until I realized it's in "Netherlandic"!! Good luck getting it back through - you'll be cruizing - and upgrading - soon!!
    E-tek Racing and Restorations

Visit me at : www.E-tekRestorations.com

or check my Blog: www.E-tekRestorations.blogspot.com

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks e-tek

I went back to RDW today, but it still failed on the rear left brake ( dissapointed because I payed to get the job done ) , anyway I have it back home now, and will repair myself. Just checked and the brake cilinder rear left is leaking, so will get that repared tomorrow, and go back again for the final time

Here's some pics from today:

gusz280 likes this.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Hoi Bart, Goodluck with the reapairs and the RDW.
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-21096

Bart,

The car's looking good! Glad she's on the road and hopefully you'll pass the inspection soon!

Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks I hope to get back to the RDW this week. I'm waiting for my brake cilinder to be repaired. Brought them to a specialised company I know, I also let them do both brake shoes with new segments, since there was not much left on them.

There's still many small things to do on the Z, but will do that during the summer months.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Still waiting for brake cilinder and rubber seals, so in the meanwhile I started on the passenger door when I had some time between work, cleaned up the inside of all loose rust, opened up the drain holes in the bottom and spraying tectyl wax inside, then covering the holes with plastic and using double sided tape to keep the doorpanel on.

Member ID
    CZCC-29025

Nice Z and nice Frenchie? (French Bulldog)? I have a black and white Frenchie too Haven't take her for a ride in the Z yet but she is quite a car loving dog and will once I get better at driving it.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Hi ZuZu,

it's a Jack Russel terrier, we got 2 actually

Bart

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

it's a Jack Russel terrier
    Bart
    I hope he is not chewing on the wiring harness in front of the radiator. Otherwise your next RDW inspection will be: Sorry but now your front lights dont work....

Member ID
    CZCC-29025

Holy Cow - what ya feeding that thing! I couldn't see the head so I thought it had to be a bully. That's the fattest Jack Terrier I ever laid eyes on. We had a Patterdale Terrier that just passed at age 14 - Zu Zu She was the best dog ever

Member ID
    CZCC-29025

Quote Originally Posted by EuroDat View Post
    I hope he is not chewing on the wiring harness in front of the radiator. Otherwise your next RDW inspection will be: Sorry but now your front lights dont work....
    "The dog ate my project car"

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

haha , luckely itˊs just sniffing in there, curious dog?

sheˊs a little to heavy, but not much though, now almost 14 years, the other jack, male, is 11 years.

Member ID
    CZCC-29025

Our girl would have been chewing up stuff. She could chew through tires - no kidding - at only 13 pounds. She was a tough old girl. Miss her

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

Yes the passing of a dog can leave a huge hole in our hearts.

We sold a Bichon Frise' puppy to some people, and it chewed up the leather back seat of their Mercedes 350 SLC.
    Should have had him in a traveling crate eh.

Edit. Sorry a bit off topic there.
    Last edited by olzed; 02-21-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Good news: tomorrow I can pick up the new brake shoes for the rear, and repaired brake cilinder for rear left So RDW will be mid next week...

Worked a bit on it again, sprayed half of the inside of the rear fenders and made all the plastic in the back locked again in place with the correct speednuts. ( all where missing ).

The fun part is, I got the radio antenna back working somehow :O, it's still the original one, but the motor was all cooked up inside, it looked like I couldn't repair it, but somehow after some greasing and cleaning it went back to life... made a good solid bracket for it so it won't come loose.

View My Video

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Installed the brake pads with new shoes and the repaired brake cilinder, but now the drums won't come on. ( the cilinder is all adjusted back ) I gave them the maxium drum size which is 2300mm.. mm anyhow, tomorrow I will let a machine shop take some out of the drums, and then it should be fine. So meanwhile I went to work in the engine bay, and one side is done today.

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Nice car!

A bit late here is a later 280z brake drum refresh: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/a...e-refresh.html
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks Blue, the rear drum brakes wasn't difficult, I did notice thanks to the drawing in the manual that the bigger spring was mounted on top, while it should be down at the cilinder. Anyhow I let a shop put new pads on the shoes, but now the drum didn't fit over it, when fully adjusted inwards. So the pads are to thick. The shop is closed this week holiday, so I will go back monday to let them take something of the pads, and then I can put the car back on it's wheels and bleed the brakes. ( I first asked a machine shop about taking something out of the drums, but he also adviced taking something of the pads instead )

Meanwhile while I have to wait, I am working on the engine bay, I sprayed everything back into the blue color of the car, since that was all nasty and grey.. cleaning up the engine and parts a bit, but wil be painting the engine block in summer.

Now the carbs are a problem but a friend can help, he maybe has 2 good ones. ( it are 4 screw )If he has none, I'll prob let a shop rebuild them, or get a set from the US. Anyhow I'm speeding things up a bit, need to be back RDW within 2 max 3 weeks.

There's still a piece of the emission junk on the exhaust manifold, but I will try to take that off in the summer, it's verry corroded, and feared breaking it

Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 02-27-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Okay.. next update ( tomorrow I can go back for the rear brakes ).

Thanks to help here on the forum in the SU section and some friends, and information from the internet I was able to clean ( also the nozzles )and rebuild the Hitachi carburetor. I've done 1 now, and will do the other one tomorrow if I have some time between my work. Everything works smooth again. Any advice on the damper oil? I've got different engine oils forehand and ATF.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Hi Bart, The engine bay is cleaning up very nicly.
    Goodluck with the inspection next week
    Chas
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

Member ID
    CZCC-29072

Nice 240Z and good luck with the inspection, even in my country my car failed in the inspection

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks , yeah it can be a hell..., but thank god it's only once. I must say the RDW folks seem nicer and gentlier to the car then the APK guys ( yearly inspection can be at any garage ), APK they usually check play to suspesion parts with a crow bar or something, but with the RDW they use a special designed plate in the floor or something.

I'm still not finished with the car to get to RDW, although the rear drums fit now, and the car it back on it's wheels, still need to bleed the brake and do some more work in the engine bay.

Bart
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 03-08-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Hi Bart, I dont know how you plan to bleed the brakes but FWIW.
    After rebuiding my the calipers, replacing the wheel cylinders, shoes and pads I used a self made vacuum system with a small tank and a water vacuum cleaner to draw the brake fluid through the system. First apply the handbrake a couple of times to adjust the rear brakes.
    That way I didnt have to push the pedal to the floor and damage the mastercylinder rubber cups. The master cylinder is generally toast after that. The cups get damaged when they go over the corroded bore. If it has not been replaced in the last couple of years, the chances are it will be corroded.
    I did this about 18 months ago and the master cylinder worked good. Im now in the process of rebuilding the brake switch and proportioning valve. Pulled the M/C apart and it was really badly corroded inside. It was so bad, when I pushed it in all the way in it didnt come back. It was stuck. I have ordered a new one from blackdragon, waiting for it to come in.
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

First apply the handbrake a couple of times to adjust the rear brakes.
    FYI, this is not the proper way to adjust the drums, refer to the FSM. You won't have full braking performance unless they are adjusted correctly.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

Thanks , yeah it can be a hell..., but thank god it's only once. I must say the RDW folks seem nicer and gentlier to the car then the APK guys ( yearly inspection can be at any garage ), APK they usually check play to suspesion parts with a crow bar or something,
    Bart
    Here in New Zealand our cars have to go through a check every six months, and they go through everything, and also check suspension and steering components with a bar.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeonV View Post
    FYI, this is not the proper way to adjust the drums, refer to the FSM. You won't have full braking performance unless they are adjusted correctly.
    I thought I was quoting the FSM for the 280Z??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rearbrake.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	61728  
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by olzed View Post
    Here in New Zealand our cars have to go through a check every six months, and they go through everything, and also check suspension and steering components with a bar.
    In the Netherlands we only need a pink slip (APK) every two years for old timers. All cars before 1987 were road tax exempt, but the government saw a chance to earn €€€ and they are starting to change the rules

Bart is right about the inspectors being rough on the cars. The last inspection I had done, the mechanic damaged the ball joint rubber on my left front wheel. Lukily I stayed with him for the inspection, but too late to stop him doing that on the first joint he tested. Told him if he keeps that up Ill use that pinch bar on him. I wont be using him again.
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

I thought I was quoting the FSM for the 280Z??
    I was unclear, sorry. You're correct if the shoes haven't been messed with and the handbrake is correctly adjusted. I think I mixed up the FSM and John Coffey's (I think?) suggestion based on his experiences.

FWIW, a worn/maladjusted handbrake will not allow full adjustment of the rear brakes.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Hi Bart, I dont know how you plan to bleed the brakes but FWIW.
    After rebuiding my the calipers, replacing the wheel cylinders, shoes and pads I used a self made vacuum system with a small tank and a water vacuum cleaner to draw the brake fluid through the system. First apply the handbrake a couple of times to adjust the rear brakes.
    That way I didnt have to push the pedal to the floor and damage the mastercylinder rubber cups. The master cylinder is generally toast after that. The cups get damaged when they go over the corroded bore. If it has not been replaced in the last couple of years, the chances are it will be corroded.
    I did this about 18 months ago and the master cylinder worked good. Im now in the process of rebuilding the brake switch and proportioning valve. Pulled the M/C apart and it was really badly corroded inside. It was so bad, when I pushed it in all the way in it didnt come back. It was stuck. I have ordered a new one from blackdragon, waiting for it to come in.
    Chas
    The mastercylinder is replaced for one which was almost new , I have a special system to bleed the brakes, I also use that for my work on the scooters.. but the same idea as you suggested.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Guys thanks for your help! The car is running again, fired right up after it filled the fuel bowls. Although the " rattling " noise is clearly coming from the valves. Any advice on engine oil? There's 20w50 in it now, but not sure about that oil...maybe it's to thick? Anyhow one step closer again to the RDW

View My Video

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Lukily I stayed with him for the inspection, but too late to stop him doing that on the first joint he tested. Told him if he keeps that up Ill use that pinch bar on him. I wont be using him again.
    Chas
    one has to be afraid when the APK inspection guy is walking under your classic car with a crow bar...

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285
    Blog Entries

I recommend 10w-30 oil with high ZDDP content.
    20w-50 oil is probably overkill. A healthy stock engine, does not need any more than 10/30 oil unless you live in death valley. I always suspected cars with heavy oil were trying to cover up worn bearings. I would take the time to adjust the valves. It is only about an hour job, and you can sleep easy at night knowing that the valves are happy.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Hi Bart, I agree with Zedyone. 10W-30 or 15W-40 in the summer, but 20W-50 is too think IMO.
    I suggest an oil with ZDDP. It not in all the oils these day, but that is what the engines had when they came out.

This is a post fromanother thread:
    http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/e...-interval.html
    When the Z's first came out, oil had ZDDP (zinc). That is greatly reduced in new oils, but still availably in Valvoline VR1 en Mobile 1. The zinc helps protect old engines. They were designed for ZDDP before the EPA cracked down on emmisions in the 80's.
    http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/vr1_racing.pdf
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by BRN_280Z View Post
    Nice 240Z and good luck with the inspection, even in my country my car failed in the inspection
    What's the regulations in your country? Curious..

@ Zedd and Euro: Thanks your advice seems to be correct. I looked up the engine oil with Kroon Oil, and they also recommended 15w40 classic multigrade with additives. Alternatives seems 10w30 and even a single grade 30 weight, I guess they used that back in the old days huh?
    I'm going to get the right oils tomorrow

Valve play was corrected according to the manual with hot motor. But i'll try cold, they must be having to much play
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 03-10-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Hi Bart,
    Try a search on valve clearence. There was a thread just a couple of weeks ago about this same problem

Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I changed the valve clearance on a cold engine. Sound is now less but still rattling also as it goes up in rpm...

I found another thread on a worn rocker arm, but who knows..it might be anything.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

It's still rattling, clearly coming from the valve train, I did find a thread of worn rockers, maybe that's the problem. I'll have a closer look later on.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Brakes are done, will try to go RDW friday.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Finally ! RDW is done, next week it will have Dutch license plates

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

Finally ! RDW is done, next week it will have Dutch license plates
    Well thats good news. Congratulations.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Grats Bart. That great news
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks, I'm happy to it's finally done..

Meanwhile waiting for the paperwork for the plates, I'm working on a few things that need to be done, before I can try it on the road. Got all 3 clocks working again somehow..

Also found out the heater hoses where knacked inside the car, so that will not work offcourse.. will try to get other ones from the scrapyard tomorrow. Operating valve was jammed, but wd40 and patience fixed it.

The 3 slide controls also operate smooth again..wd40 was my friend in all the cases.

By fixing the clock, I removed the front panel, then the 3 nuts on the back and took the clock out together with the faceplate and dials still on it. Then lubed it a bit with wd40 on all components, than attaced a car battery and put the - on and off a few times, untill the motor came loose, and the spring was wind up a bit, then I connected the - and it was working again.

View My Video

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Okay, so I was happy I got the meters and clock on the dash working again.. and replaced the knicked heater hoses with good ones....yesterday faith struck me again.

First RDW called, they made a mistake with some copy of the US ownership paperwork, and they needed the original one.. oke so I brought them.., but this means it will take another week before I can get the plates and put insurance on it.

Second... then in the evening I saw coolant leaking from both sides of the tunnel to the floormats... ~*&^$$!! ... Ripped the floormats out, and luckily not much wet.

First I thought the operating valve, but seemed " dry ", then when I pulled one hose of and looked inside, it was all wet... yup.

Used search function here on the forum on how to get the damn thing out, and it seemed possible without removing the entire dash.

Started on it this morning, and I managed to get it out within 2 hours time ( new record lol? ), it helped by removing the front splitter panel from the heater core, to slide it out easily.

And here we are now...

My dad repaired the radiator before with solder, that worked, but not sure if this is repairable... what do you guys think? If you look at the 2nd picture above connection seems wet, possible leak from there? I will try to have a look at it this evening.

Bart
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 03-21-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I managed to open up the heater core..to get acces to the radiator between work. I will let my dad have a look at it this evening. Here's some pics that might be usefull for other people who want to know how it looks.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I got it repaired, and seems dry now after 4 hours, will check tomorrow again !
    Also got the ownership paperwork finally home! Now I can get the plates and then insurance..

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

The license plate number is an old one, and will be: AR-56-38

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Hey Bart. You going to use the yellow numberplates. Im not sure if its allowed but the oldtimer blue plates look neat on a Z.
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Hey Bart. You going to use the yellow numberplates. Im not sure if its allowed but the oldtimer blue plates look neat on a Z.
    It will be blue ones, before 78 are blue ones ( historic automobile ), after are yellow ones, this was told to me at the RDW.

BTW no more leaks now from the heater core

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

It will be blue ones, before 78 are blue ones ( historic automobile ), after are yellow ones, this was told to me at the RDW.

BTW no more leaks now from the heater core
    They told me that after I got the yellow ones Now I have both.
    Grats on your heater core and piping.
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-21096

Bart,

Thanks for the updates and glad you got everything straightened out with the plates and insurance. I finally got the fenders off my car and can see how extensive the rust damage is. I haven't found any surprises yet, or at least, nothing I didn't expect to find. In a few weeks I'll be ordering new repair panels, floorboards, and frame rails from MSA.

Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

@ EuroDat: yellow ones? What's the year of your Z? When I was at the local autostore yesterday to order plates, they didn't even ask for yellow, the computer said blue right away.

@ RobertS: Thanks. Good luck with repairs on your Z though

Still some work to do, but she's almost there. Took it for a testdrive today and it drives pretty good, but some studder from the engine, I think something with the ignition though, old leads. Will have a look.

I was wondering if we can find back the 2nd or even the 1ste owner ( campbell ) of my Z? That would be cool!

Here's some pics of it with the plates on now. The rear plate barely fitted, the us plates are smaller.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Just looked at the spark plugs, only 3 and 5 are black at the core, 1,2,4 and 6 look normal black outside, dark white in the inside. So I guess I found the problem to be ingition, I think leads

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

@ EuroDat: yellow ones? What's the year of your Z? When I was at the local autostore yesterday to order plates, they didn't even ask for yellow, the computer said blue right away.

Here's some pics of it with the plates on now. The rear plate barely fitted, the us plates are smaller.
    Hi Bart,
    The store didnt say anything and my wife picked them up. The guy was not too bright. "suckel"
    I asked the RDW and it was ok. My Z is 05/77.

I picked up the blue ones. The big square one wouldnt fit the back because of the 280Z bumpers, but Im now converting it to 240Z bumpers.

Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-6029

Hi Bart. Thanks for all the updates and pictures of the 240. I'm glad to hear you'll soon be enjoying her on the road. It looks good with European plates!! I'll check again to see if I can turn up anything on Steve Campbell. Was there anything on the paperwork that indicated his middle name or initial?
    1971 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by pressedsteel View Post
    Hi Bart. Thanks for all the updates and pictures of the 240. I'm glad to hear you'll soon be enjoying her on the road. It looks good with European plates!! I'll check again to see if I can turn up anything on Steve Campbell. Was there anything on the paperwork that indicated his middle name or initial?
    Hi Alan,

Yes, she's back alive made the first trips on the road yesterday. Gotta love the looks from people... not much 240z around here. But the engine was holding back a bit on acceleration, but I fixed that today with some new spark plug cables. Now it's all good

This is what I found about Steve Campbell:

Hertel R E JR
    5244 Foxridge dr
    Shawnee Missionks 66202 ( Date 07/27/1971 )

Bart

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I replaced the B7ES plugs for BPR6ES ( stock ), but this is how they looked like:

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

If I fill up the Z, the meter doesn't go all the way to F. But yesterday I filled it up, and drove about 200 km, and when back the meter was a little away from half a tank. So assuming the meter is partly correct, it will consume 19 miles to the gallon, that's quite alot isn't it? When in neutral and outside the car, I step on the pedal, there's black fumes... so I'm assuming the carbies run rich... or worn out jets?

Member ID
    CZCC-18366
    Blog Entries

My other 240Z 30 years ago blew black smoke for a while and got lousy mileage. It wouldn't pass smog because it was running way to rich because the choke pistons had gotten stuck in the down position (choke always on).

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

The choke is working correctly, and can move freely up and down. If I read the plugs the mixture looks good. I don't need choke to start it, just use the starter motor 2 times and it starts.

Just filled 38 liters of 91 octane again to it in Germany ( cheaper gas ). So I'm assuming it's a little more optimistic, maybe 21 mpg, I will see what the car does on fuel economy when driven more overtime.

Yesterday I let a local tire shop balance the front wheels ( took him 10 minutes to each wheel, and we got a 0 to 0 reading ), and they will do the rear wheels next saturday. In the beginning I had quite a vibration above 70 mph, but after some driving that almost seems gone now, weird?

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Yesterday I let a local tire shop balance the front wheels ( took him 10 minutes to each wheel, and we got a 0 to 0 reading ), and they will do the rear wheels next saturday. In the beginning I had quite a vibration above 70 mph, but after some driving that almost seems gone now, weird?
    Hi Bart,

I had that a couple of years ago when I started driving after the winter. After a week it slowly went away. I wasn't sure if I was getting use to it or what? but then I realised the tyres had flat spots from sitting to long in one spot. Since then its on stands in the winter and havn't had that problem since.
    That could be your problem as well?
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Yeah I think so.. it was standing at least 1 year with Stolze, and I believe it stood in the garage with Alan for a while as well.

Member ID
    CZCC-29084

So cool man!!
    A corvette, a honda and a zx oh my!

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Thanks!

Okay, so today I took the Z for another drive to get alot of new parts.. points,rotor, distributor cap, etc basically all for the ignition ( allready changed the wires which made good difference ). On my way, halfway the Z began sputtering like madness, and was almost unable to drive. I managed to get back home somehow...

I replaced all the ignition parts, and now it runs like a dream, and goes beyond 5 k rpm, which before it didn't

Also put a new oil pressure sender unit on the block, and I finally have oil pressure showing on the dash now !

Next problem for now: it's hard to get into gear and grinds. I have taken the master clutch cylinder off for new cups. And will see what it does. I don't want to wreck the gearbox from this old lady.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

little update:

I took the master cilinder from the clutch off, but decided just as well take the slave cilinder off to. Now both will get cleaned and new seals, brought them away for rebuild.

Member ID
    CZCC-18557

Great progress - bet she's loving all the attention!

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I bet she does :P

Okay, so the auto parts stores couldn't get a rebuild kit for the master clutch cylinder, only the slave cilinder. So with alot of searching, I found a new one:

My brother helped bleeding the clutch, and ...smooth as silk now !

Bart

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Hi Bart, did you get the clutch master cylinder in NL? Just wondering. If I cant get parts from the nissan dealer I generally end up buying in the US at Rock Auto or MSA. They are the ones with the best shipping rates to NL IMO.
    Chas
    Last edited by EuroDat; 04-08-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-13827

Same Clutch master I put on mine.
    Michael 11/75 - 76-280 - HLS30-281,114
    Web site -Click Here and ORIGINAL OWNERS OF THE 280Z (1975-1976 -1977 - 1978 - ONLY) REGISTRATION[

Member ID
    CZCC-18557

New is NICE!

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Yeah, ít works great now

But yesterday I was driving, and the car started sputtering again..

I just replaced the NGK plugs a few days ago for the ones that said in the manual.. BPR6ES.
    Took the plugs out and looked like this ( compare with the picture of the B7ES previous page ):

Weird or what? It ran good again right away when I put the most basic B7ES plugs in. The 6's says made in France, the other one made in Japan, maybe that's it lol.
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 04-10-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Okay, I got a few things to do. First of all my steering wheel is vibrating above 60 mph, and I got a wobble throughout the car at 30 mph.

The tires are pretty old from 2002, and they show a slight height difference on the surface when rotating on the balancing machine ( I don't know if this can cause a wobble ? ). Tires are good, but maybe I do need to put new ones?

I got the car on the bridge, and noticed a play ( only noticable when I put pressure left to right on the wheel with both hands ) in the front right wheel ( passenger side ). Best thing I can examine is that the inner wheel bearing is shot. The outher conical wheel bearing where loose on both sides, but still okay. I torqued them tight again, and that did seem to solve quite a bit vibration through the steering wheel, but still there.

I'm also noticing slight play ( when I pull hard up and down with my hand ), on the tie rods.

So I'll try to order a front wheel bearing kit and maybe tie rods to? What do you guys think? Can the old tires also cause problems, excessive stress to the steering column?

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Running rich.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.

Member ID
    CZCC-6029

Bart - Just checking in on your progress today. For what it's worth, the car always ran rich when I had it as well. I would say I changed plugs every 1000 miles or so (that was like once a year) because I could never seem to set the carbs lean enough. Also had trouble with the choke not fully closing ... but I'm sure you remedied that already with the carb rebuild. Regarding the vibration over 70, I don't think it's the tires as I recall a minor shake as wel,l and that was on the prior set of tires. Good luck. Alan
    1971 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Could be incorrect carb needles.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Bart - Just checking in on your progress today. For what it's worth, the car always ran rich when I had it as well. I would say I changed plugs every 1000 miles or so (that was like once a year) because I could never seem to set the carbs lean enough. Also had trouble with the choke not fully closing ... but I'm sure you remedied that already with the carb rebuild. Regarding the vibration over 70, I don't think it's the tires as I recall a minor shake as wel,l and that was on the prior set of tires. Good luck. Alan
    Hey Alan,

Thanks for your feedback. The choke problem is solved,( the carbs needed cleaning badly ! ) but when I was working on the carbs I did notice about the needles, I think they where changed for richer ones, as I noticed alot of room around the nozzle. The basic plugs seem to hold fine now, it's just drinking some more fuel hehe.

The tires...it could be aswell something else What I notice is that around 30 mph, the whole car wobbles, like your on a bumpy road..maybe that's the best way to describe it. " a wiggle through the car " It goes through the whole car, but the steering wheel is steady, the steering wheel starts to shake above 60 mph ( which is horror on the motorway ). I checked engine mounts but they seem okay. I will try check more parts, like the driveshaft for play when I have some time.

@ Blue: yeah, it clearly running rich. What I find odd however, is that the heat range 7 plugs color nicely... and the 6 plugs turn all black and fail to ignite.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Could be incorrect carb needles.
    Could very well be.. I noticed alot of room around the nozzle when the needle was in closed position, and especially @ WOT.

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

The shaking my car had went on for some time until the problem was found.

The ny-lock (self locking) nut at the top of the strut ( holding the shock rod to the insulator) had come loose and wobbled out the 'D' in the insulator and nearly wore the shock rod in half. It was found by raising & lowering of that corner & watching everything move, removing the little black cap showed the loose nut. Replaced shock and insulator, no more shake. Just a thought.

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

The car is designed for NGK plug heat of 6. Since you are using NGK's in your tests, an NGK 5 is hotter and an NGK 7 is colder. Typically 5's will be cleaner because they will burn off more residue. What you experienced seems to be opposite where the colder 7 was cleaner.

I think that some other factor may be at play. Maybe put a few 7's in with 6's to rule this out.

If you don't have an O2 wideband then try measurements by reading plugs after 5min of idle then after 5min of cruising a 60mph (cut ignition carefully at speed then coast to a stop...don't lock the steering wheel).

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    The car is designed for NGK plug heat of 6. Since you are using NGK's in your tests, an NGK 5 is hotter and an NGK 7 is colder. Typically 5's will be cleaner because they will burn off more residue. What you experienced seems to be opposite where the colder 7 was cleaner.

I think that some other factor may be at play. Maybe put a few 7's in with 6's to rule this out.

If you don't have an O2 wideband then try measurements by reading plugs after 5min of idle then after 5min of cruising a 60mph (cut ignition carefully at speed then coast to a stop...don't lock the steering wheel).

I know about the heat range from plugs since I use it for my work also ( scooters ), and I would also think a 5 or 6 would burn cleaner, since it will get hotter. But somehow the 7's color nice, and the hotter ones fool. I do know it's running rich, since I see black fumes when flooring the pedal when car is on the driveway when engine is hot. I think the needles must have been changed somewhere along the way like you suggested for richer ones.

My main concern now is getting the vibrations out of the car

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

A little update from our '' beloved '' goverment lol.
    The tax free rule for classic cars was 25 years or older, now they upped that to 40 years. So I'm Lucky. That means anything above 73 will have to pay tax

Akkoord over wegenbelasting voor oldtimers - Binnenland | Het laatste nieuws uit Nederland leest u op Telegraaf.nl [binnenland]

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

[QUOTE=bartsscooterservice;430054]A little update from our '' beloved '' goverment lol.
    The tax free rule for classic cars was 25 years or older, now they upped that to 40 years. So I'm Lucky. That means anything above 73 will have to pay tax.---

Down here in NZ we pay around half the usual annual car license fee
    For a car over 40 years old.
    Last edited by olzed; 04-25-2013 at 04:26 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Alan you have any more information about the shaking? Maybe it can help my find the problem.. I just checked all the bolts on the underside of the car, driveline and engine, and some where loose. And I lubed all the grease points. It did help a little again with the vibration, but it's still there.

And about the carbs, any idea if the previous owner swopped needles?

Bart

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Did you try swapping front and back wheels?

How do the wheels align with the hub? Are the centre holes in the wheel "hubcentric"?

FYI my car was "snakey" at high rpms due to a failed strut insert in the back.

Thread Information