Thread: New owner of a 72 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-29252

Default New owner of a 72 240Z

Finally got my 240Z!

I posted on here a while back when I was looking at ads and now I've finally had the time and space in my garage to pick one up. The car is in great shape with no rust and the engine is solid. Bought it from a guy in WV off of eBay... the whole process actually went pretty well.

It has a couple problems that I'll be working on soon... few paint chips around the corners of the hood, parking brake doesn't work and there is a strong fuel smell in the cabin. So I'm sure I'll be on the forums here a lot asking questions.

Anyone else here from the Maryland area and are there any clubs around? Seems like a lot of people are further out west.

Also the humidity down where I am in southern Maryland is really high so I'm thinking about getting a dehumidifier for my garage to try and keep it around 50%. Good idea and is it worth it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	datsun.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	64509

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

Welcome SBK! That is a great looking 240z you got. You will find the community here is top notch with tons of info and advice. In regards to the fuel smell, check your fuel tank vent lines and the seals around your tail lights. These are common "need to replace" items if they have not already been done so. The vent lines run in to a vent tank on the passenger side behind the plastic cover in the hatch area. We look forward to seeing more of your car and hearing about your progress.
    08/1970 240z Series-1 #8011 - Silver, black int., 2.4L I-6, 5spd, 90% restored.
    06/1973 VW Karmann Ghia - Black convertible, 4spd, 1600cc air-cooled engine.
    11/2013 Scion FR-S - Silver, 6spd, a car with the soul of a Z for the modern times.
    Restoration thread of my old '72 240z -> http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/o...1972-240z.html

Member ID
    CZCC-29252

Thanks Hardway! I'll take a look at the vent tank tonight and smell around to see if I can figure out where the odor is coming from exactly.

Member ID
    CZCC-22303

Welcome - that's a really nice looking car. +1 on Hardway's comments on the fuel smell. Bad seals around the taillights can also be the source of dangerous exhaust fumes. Have fun with the new ride.

Jim Arnett
    HLS30-15320 12/1970, original owner
    L24-020208 (original)
    IZCC Original Owner Registry #53

Member ID
    CZCC-28265

Welcome and best wishes to a new owner of a '72 240Z. Looks like you picked up a beauty!
    Original Registration and Warranty Card

Original owner of: HLS3018859 (Jan./71) ZCOOR Member # 178

'Storms Never Last'

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

Found the Ebay auction for your car as I had been watching it to see what it goes for. Given the condition and amount of work that was put in to it by the previous owners I think the final bid price is very fair. Again, great looking car!

Datsun : Z-Series Z series in Datsun | eBay Motors
    11/2013 Scion FR-S - Silver, 6spd, a car with the soul of a Z for the modern times.
    Restoration thread of my old '72 240z -> http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/o...1972-240z.html

Member ID
    CZCC-21454

Nice Z! Welcome to the club.

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

Nice car. Make sure your brakes and suspension bushings are up to snuff. As stated, the toughest issue will be getting rid of the fuel smel (I assume it is raw fuel), but exhaust has a way of wafting in as well. Until you get that worked out, drive with the fan on and leave windows open when parked if possible.

Member ID
    CZCC-15588

Great looking Z , I have always liked the orange and black . Speaking of the vent lines issue , is there any vendors offering a full kit as opposed to shopping around for suitable gas rated hoses . A kit would be far easier than hoping for the right parts .
    thanxz
    Chris
    71-z , great for me , awesome for the parts store , hey I'm helping the local economy !

Member ID
    CZCC-19487

Nice car. Dehumidifier? Your better off making sure everything is undercoated and drill hole to fill inside of ur frame and crevasse with some sort of lubricant or waxy substance. Also there is no such thing as no rust lol. U just haven't found any yet. Some z cars are more than others.

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

Yeah that's a nice car, I really like orange with black interior. I have orange with white. Want to trade? I have a dehumidifier that runs 1.5 hours then off for 1 hour, it's plugged in through a timer, and I empty the gallon? bucket sometimes twice a day and it stays about 65%. A pedestal fan keeps the humid air moving towards the appliance. Welcome to your new favorite web-site.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Member ID
    CZCC-29252

Thanks everyone. Yeah I'm going to put the car up on jack stands and check everything brakes, suspension etc next weekend. The brakes feel a bit soft to me but then again I've never driven a 40 year old car before so it may just be me getting used to it. Is a rear disc conversion worth it? My parking brake doesn't work so if I do rear discs I might as well just hold off on that and do it all at once.

I smelled around last night and couldn't quite figure out where it's coming from but I only ran it for a few minutes in the garage since it was raining last night (yes I left the garage door open :P). Today if it's nice I'm going to take it outside and see if I can narrow it down better.

I love the orange and black interior! I usually don't like orange on cars but it looks so good on the z. That white looks pretty sexy too.

I checked the humidity in the garage last night with a reader and it was at about 85% so I think I'm going to pick up a dehumidifier with a drain hose attachment.

The bottom has already been undercoated but I'm not sure about the frame and lubricant, never heard of that before.

Also where is the best place to order parts around here? If I was looking for vent hoses, tail light gaskets and such.

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

You can get the tail light gaskets through Nissan. Even vendors like Motorsports Auto (MSA) send you Nissan parts. Courtesy Nissan in Richardson TX is one of the best known places to get parts and they are one of the dealerships I have ever seen that allow you to buy parts online. Check out Courtesyparts.com

Other great vendors include Classic Datsun, Banzai Motorworks, and Black Dragon Auto to name a few. There are also vendors on Ebay and you can even get some parts on Amazon. There are also part specific vendors like Z Therapy for carb work and parts.

In regards to the vent lines, check out the sites below. No one as far as I know sells them as a kit but MSA carries the individual lines when they have them in stock. Be prepared for some sticker shock as the one line that is almost impossible to replicate is over $100. One item to note on the site, the 1/2" 4ft hose, buy 6ft of it. I bought 5ft of it online thinking I would have more than enough and I needed an extra foot.

http://www.jrdemers.com/280ZX/tankvents/tankvents.html
    http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/e...hose-info.html

When I did mine I was able to get most of the hoses through my local auto parts store but had to order the larger diameter stuff on Ebay. Some people have said marine/boat shops carry the larger diameter fuel safe hose so that may be an option too. Unless you are going for a 100% factory correct look I would skip the factory style lines. It will save you 60+% on what all the lines cost.
    Last edited by Hardway; 07-12-2013 at 05:58 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-29252

Thanks! That's a big help. Banzai Motorworks is actually only an hour from where I live. I may have to give them a visit sometime.

Congratulations on your Z.

The most difficult hose I found to get at a reasonable price was the fuel filler hose. The one from the filler neck to the tank. Mine had a hole in it and was dripping gas at fill-ups.
    I think the 240 Z hoses are easier to get than the 76 280 Z.

If you have to replace one of the hoses you may want to do them all as well as rust proofing the gas tank with POR-15 or an equivalent. As much as I dreaded doing the entire gas tank/hose refurbishment, I turned out to be a fun project.

Dave Ruiz
    76 280Z

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Welcome to the home of Z lovers!

One drop of fuel can stink up a whole garage. Check all your lines.
    If its a fuel venting issue, you might try the trick I did with LIGHTLY pressurizing the vent system and then look for leaks. I have a thread on here somewhere.

Good luck and congrats
    Steve
    71 240z,bw-5sp 2.4-40 over,balanced,e-88,big valves,ported&polished, stage2,header, triple Mikuni's 40's
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-29252

So it's not a fuel smell, I'm an idiot. Sorry about that, when I first got the car and had it in the garage I thought it smelled strongly like fuel but after getting it out on the road a bit I noticed it's just the exhaust and it was running a bit rich. I've adjusted the carbs some to fix that but when I have more time I'm going to balance them properly this weekend. The tail light gaskets are rough so that's where the smell is getting in I'll just replace those next. I checked all the fuel vent hoses in the back and they look pretty good and it looks like that expansion tank and gas tank have been treated to protect from rust.

I took it out for a drive to the state park on Sunday and took a lot of pretty pictures (attached one). On the way back I filled up with some 93 octane and the car started bogging down really badly and couldn't get any power in 3rd or 4th gear. I pulled over and checked the fuel filter and it was clogged up with a ton of junk. Maryland gas is pretty high in ethanol which I think frees up a lot of those particles.. I'm going to try and find an ethanol free station but those are pretty rare around where I am. Anyways I just popped the filter off and banged it a bit to unclog it and the car ran great all the way back home. Ordered a bunch of filters which I'll keep with the car until it starts clearing up.

Great weekend, I'm so glad I bought the car it's a lot of fun

Name:	IMAG0614.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	64569
    5/1972 240Z - HLS30-83242
    2008 Harley Nightster

Member ID
    CZCC-29189

Wow that seems like a really great price for that car! Especially being numbers matching, mechanically sound, low rust... I think you got a great deal. Enjoy it!

Quick thanks to Hardway for compiling the fuel vent info (post #13), really helpful to have that in one place.
    Brian
    73 240Z HLS30-151534

Member ID
    CZCC-9429

I'd suspect the tank is loaded with rust if you're clogging filters. See how long it takes to foul another filter - that'll determine if it's a minor issue that you can get by with regular filter changes or if you'll need to drop and clean the tank.

Just the act of filling the tank creates movement that will knock sediment and rust off the bottom of the tank. I've been dealing with the same issue, which actually killed my electric fuel pump.
    Kelly R. Johnson
    1978 280Z...yes it's automatic...but I'm fat.

Member ID
    CZCC-29252

I was right the first time, I do have a fuel leak. I smelled it this morning when I went in the garage and sure enough there's a slow drip coming from the fuel filler hose where it connects to the fuel tank. I finally noticed it now that I have a full tank. Since my fuel filter is looking really nasty I think I'll just remove the gas tank completely this weekend and take it to a shop to get cleaned. So thanks again with the fuel hose info that will come in handy after all.

I have another question about my car actually... I'm not sure how I missed this earlier. I was inspecting around the air cleaner and realized that the hose that attaches to the bottom is gone, there's a hose coming from near the carb that is plugged with a screw(?!) and the hole towards the front of the car on the air cleaner has been plugged on the side towards the engine. I've attached a picture so you can see what I mean, the air cleaner cover has been removed. Red arrow points to the hose with the screw plugging it and the blue arrow points to the hole that has been capped off. I'm guessing the car has been de-smogged which is fine with me I just want to be sure there isn't something weird going on.

Name:	IMAG0632.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	64591
    2008 Harley Nightster

Sk,

If I understand your description, the red arrow hose goes to the front carb and connects to the diaphram on the distributor (the round thing sticking off the side of the distributor).

The blue arrow indicates the front carb choke wire. You should see the choke linkage and where it connects.

Do you have a Factory Service manual? (FSM). If not they can be downloaded. Just search for a member here who goes by "Blue".

Also check the ZTherapy website for illustrations and you may want to get their SU Carburetor DVD.

Good luck.

Dave
    76 280Z

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

Nice Z. She's a beauty!
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-21096

John,

Welcome to the Z club and congratulations on your new ride! As others have said, it looks like you got a fair deal for a nice car. Also, orange is my favorite color on the 240Z's!

Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

The plug in the air cleaner is probably there because the air pump has been removed. It's the air pump intake.

The wire with the screw in it should be connected to the vacuum advance module on the distributor. Right now, it seems like the vac advance is connected to manifold vacuum (wrong) although I can't see where the other end of the hose is. Regardless, it's clearly incorrect.

You'll have to re-tune your idle RPM once the hose is properly connected.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-29252

Thanks Leon. I think I'm going to fix my fuel issues then just take it up to Banzai Motorworks since they're only 45 minutes away. I'm sure they will be able to help me sort it out and can answer any other questions I have.
    2008 Harley Nightster

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

On the subject of the gasoline vapor recovery system. Personally, if I were going to drop the tank to clean it and replaced the fuel filler neck - I'd simply eliminate the entire vapor recovery system. Running gasoline vapors inside the passenger cabin was a very bad idea to begin with. There are Threads that show you how to here on the Forum.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Quote Originally Posted by LeonV View Post
    The plug in the air cleaner is probably there because the air pump has been removed. It's the air pump intake.

The wire with the screw in it should be connected to the vacuum advance module on the distributor. Right now, it seems like the vac advance is connected to manifold vacuum (wrong) although I can't see where the other end of the hose is. Regardless, it's clearly incorrect.

You'll have to re-tune your idle RPM once the hose is properly connected.
    D'oh! I meant "hose" not "wire"...
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-29252

Latest News:

I drove the car once last week, it was such a nice day I couldn't resist even though I was having some fuel filter problems. That turned out being a terrible decision. On the way back home, about 3 miles away the car shut off on me. I checked the fuel filter since this happened before when the filter clogged up but the filter looked alright... just it had a lot less fuel in there than usual. I had a filter in the back just in case so I popped it on then tried to start the car. The filter filled up a little bit and the car ran for about 30 seconds and died again. Checked again and filter was now empty and would not fill at all.

I suspect the fuel pump has completely died on me. Anyways, I had to get a tow truck to take me back the couple miles to my house.. that was quite frustrating but ah well, **** happens.

Over the weekend I removed the gas tank and most of the fuel and vent hoses. A lot of the rubber hoses are brittle and falling apart so good thing I'm replacing everything.

Carl, thanks for the suggestion about removing the vent tank but I think I'm going to keep it. I don't really feel comfortable with just plugging the holes. The vent tank is in good shape so I think with all new hoses I'll be fine and won't have any fumes coming from the back.

I'm trying to find a radiator shop to clean the gas tank for me but every place I've called won't do it. Anyone from the southern MD/NOVA area know of a good shop?

Also once I removed the gas tank I noticed that the PO had painted and coated the bottom of the tank and made it look all nice... but the top didn't get the same treatment. Not a good sign since it looks like they cut corners on the restoration years ago. Once I get it back from the shop I'll sand and re-paint it all.

I'll take apart the fuel pump and see how it looks inside, probably just end up buying another since those aren't too expensive.

Also I noticed after driving it I had some leakage from the differential. I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from but while I have it up on jacks it hasn't leaked anymore. I plan on changing the diff and tranny fluids once the redline oil I ordered comes in. I'll retorque the bolts on the diff and hopefully it won't leak anymore... otherwise I'll have to replace the seals. Or I may just get a new diff with a different ratio but that's something for a whole other post. I need to deal with my fuel problems first .
    2008 Harley Nightster

Thread Information