Thread: 901 Silver Metallic - How to Match this Color?

Default 901 Silver Metallic - How to Match this Color?

I searched the forum and learned two things:

1. The interior metal components (e.g. tool lid cover) with the factory silver is NOT the same as what was originally sprayed on my '73 exterior (which shows 901 paint code on the engine bay sticker). My car has been resprayed sometime during it's life a metallic silver, but it wasn't a quality paint job.

2. No posts shared how fellow ZED owners matched up their 901 silver when they purchased their paint.

My car is currently in the body shop to get straightened / painted - I am sticking with the factory 901 color. What I am hopeful for is someone can help me with some type of paint code that the paint supplier will be able to use to get the Datsun Silver Metallic 901 color right the first time. I've looked all over the Internet (thank you Google) but that one piece of information has thus far been elusive.

I believe my body shop craftsman purchases his paint from the local Albuquerque NAPA store... don't know if that helps.

I thank you in advance for reading through this post and taking the time to reply

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Blue posted this thread http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/t...69-1983-a.html on colour codes. The Ditzler p/n might help.
    Chas
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

Greetings - thank you for the quick reply. Could you provide a correct link to that thread - the one you have above doesn't go anywhere

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Not sure what went wrong there, but its in the "Tech tips & How to" section of the forum. You can find it on the second page under the title "Datsun Paint Codes 1969 - 1983.
    Maybe your body shop can cross reference the codes?

Here is the link again. Maybe it works this time.
    http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/t...69-1983-a.html

Chas
    Last edited by EuroDat; 01-13-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

Found it!
    http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/b...grey-poly.html

Thank you EuroDat for your posts!

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Wonder if anyone has actually purchased paint mixed to the above PPG Formula - and if so how did it turn out?
    Carl B.

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285
    Blog Entries

May be getting my 901 silver painted within a year as well. This intrigues me.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

My car is nearly ready for primer; will be sprayed next week. I have some pics of 901 silver colored 240's downloaded to determine how close the formula matches. I will let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Zedyone_kenobi View Post
    May be getting my 901 silver painted within a year as well. This intrigues me.

Member ID
    CZCC-11611

I had mine painted last year. It came out a bit lighter than the original 901. I don't know if the color of the primer would make a difference, but the factory primer was a "rust reddish" color. Grey primer was used for the new paint. Oh, I'd have to check to see what brand of paint was used as I don't recall now, but I am fairly certain it was not the PPG. Wish I had researched for that prior to the paint job. Oh well.... Look forward to possibly seeing your car after the paint job. It looks realy good as is.
    1971 240Z - HLS30-23305 2/71
    1971 240Z - HLS30-30855 5/71

Member ID
    CZCC-21264

When we painted this a few years ago we based the paint on the original code. Base coat clear coat will never look like the original paint that was used.The colour is looks deeper due to the clear coat and the fact that we dropped a little extra coarse metallic in the paint for depth.
    Still it is close and is a great colour on a 240z.

Casey

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fall 2013 071.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	294.1 KB 
ID:	69265

Your ZED is exactly the look I am going for.. it's my understanding the paint used a few decades back can't even be purchased any more (due to EPA regulations) - not to mention that Datsun back in the 1970's probably didn't put a whole lot of effort into paint to increase profits . Matching paint seems to be a science - I've had a WRX STi and a Dodge Challenger 392 repainted in the past couple of years - the STi was jacked up (they didn't match the silver perfectly - and the body/paint shop was a Big Three car dealer) and the 392 they sweated matching the paint for a week straight, as the computer's formula produced paint that wasn't a perfect match - they had to eventually produce small batches and then eyeball the color to match the rest of the car. Your car is stunning, and hopefully the effort being put into mine by a very meticulous professional that I stumbled onto here in town will make me proud !

Quote Originally Posted by Casey_z View Post
    When we painted this a few years ago we based the paint on the original code. Base coat clear coat will never look like the original paint that was used.The colour is looks deeper due to the clear coat and the fact that we dropped a little extra coarse metallic in the paint for depth.
    Still it is close and is a great colour on a 240z.

Casey

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fall 2013 071.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	294.1 KB 
ID:	69265

Member ID
    CZCC-15138

As well, when my painter asked for the paint code, he was happy with 901. I offered the PPG formula to him but he said that the Datsun 901 was enough. I do not have a factory painted car to compare it to, so I hope it is correct.
    Dan

The paint was bought from NAPA this afternoon - according to their computer, the 901 Datsun is identical to what BMW used from 1973-1984. Paint will hopefully be sprayed Monday (providing the weather is warm enough here in Albuquerque). Will post pics after the paint is applied - I've never seen a true factory 901 painted Datsun so I'm mentally picturing the toolbox lids behind my seats (perfect shape - assume factory painted - minus the metal flake) to be a true indicator..

Member ID
    CZCC-24552

paint codes can be off by a few shades. If it were mine and I wanted an exact match to the old paint
    i would find a piece of original paint somewhere on
    the car and hit it with polishing compound. Then
    take it to a place that has one of those laser color
    matchers. Then i'de spray a little test panel and put the 2 side by side. If by any chance its off i'de
    get a tint package and tweak it until it matched.

Member ID
    CZCC-4680

When we repainted the color was matched to the original found on the underside of the tool box lids, and another spot where the paint had not weathered. The color to match for 1971 was Nissan 901 Monte Carlo Silver Metallic. We used Sherwin-Williams 3Q SW 45366. It seems to be a very close match.

Thread Information