Thread: Thinking of selling my Z... I have the GTV bug REALLY BAD

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285
    Blog Entries

Default Thinking of selling my Z... I have the GTV bug REALLY BAD

I have always had an insane love for alfa GTV's. I have been thinking of selling the Z and picking up an Alfa GTV 1750 or 2000. I know the all the drawbacks and tradeoffs. I know the history. I just cannot get it out of my system, and I cannot have two cars at once. I figure if I sold the Z for a fair price, I could save up for a year and then find a very good condition GTV. I know there are parts catalogs out there.

Does anybody have any experience with the mythologically beautiful cars to tall me, HELL NO, it is a mistake? I adore my Z. Love driving it. It has been and could be fun for the next 20 years. But what do you do when you cannot stop looking at Alfa's.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

You will be banded from this site and no longer have access to our wonderful sense of humour. <<< That is Canadian and British "humor".

We will no longer be able to drool over the photos of your wonderful Z.

You will blur into the Ferrari crowd.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

This is the ugly car that you would trade a Z for?

1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 Coupe for sale | Hemmings Motor News
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.

Member ID
    CZCC-16285
    Blog Entries

Being 100% serious. Not really having a Z to talk about with you guys is one of the major reasons for NOt doing this. I love this site!!!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Hey, 100% seriously, there are folks on this site who no longer have their Z's or who want to buy a Z someday and haven't yet found one. So you're certainly free to hang around!

I do have to agree with Blue, though. I see nothing particularly lovely about the GTV. I guess it's OK. Do you have a pic of what you're talking about?

In my own case, if I were to find one of these, I think my lip would tremble a bit, but I would still maintain my composure long enough to realize my Z is a more practical DD sort of antique car:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jagu...w=1084&bih=692

There's one of these next door, and I wouldn't turn it down if he offered it to me for a good price:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jagu...=isch&imgdii=_

And if I found one of these in a barn somewhere, I know I could absolutely not control myself. I'd sell my Z and one kidney to raise the funds:

... but I'd still hang around, because I have a lot of great friends here.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-16285
    Blog Entries

Okay the Etype is a no brainer. If I ever found one I could actually afford to own/drive I would put the Z out to pasture tomorrow. I know sad, but even a not running the Etype is still one of the most beautiful cars I have ever laid eyes on. It is just stunning from any and all angles. The 2000GT, well lets just say I am not millionare. And the italian with the heart of a Ford, those things have a look all their own. We all have our secret love affairs with cars. The alfa is just one of mine.

The yellow one makes me quiver!!!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

OK, I admit it's a very cute little car. It looks quite a bit like a bimmer.

Before you buy into a different car model, just be careful to size up the support, whether it be parts or fellow enthusiasts to advise you. That would be my objection to the E-Type. I mean... come one! It's drop-dead gorgeous! However, parts are more of an issue, as I understand it. Furthermore, it's not the sort of car I could feel comfortable driving to the grocery store. I'd end up looking at it a lot in the garage and finding excuses to make little roadtrips on the parkway. I sold a gorgeous 1966 Mustang that was too perfect to drive. It was not a fun car, because I was too terrified to scratch it. The Jag would be somewhat the same, unless it were in less than pristine condition, in which case it wouldn't make a good DD because of parts issues.

The Pantera? That would be a brief fling. It would be another jewel in the garage (like the Mustang) that I would soon realize is no fun to own. So I'd fix it up and sell it.

The GT2000? I'd do an all-out restoration and sell her for top dollar, and she'd be a fond memory for the rest of my life.

But frankly, after all of this, I'd return to the Z. And if/when the Z becomes too old to be a practical DD, with parts support (and people support) dwindling I think the Miata will be my car of choice. I own one now, and the little car is a real kick! However, the Z is one of those "just right" cars.

But yes, I can understand your love affair with the little Alfa! Do what sings to your heart!

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

There's a certain crowd that's attracted to Italian cars..and especially Alfa's. There's certain drawbacks to Italian classics, prepare to wrench alot to

They are fun to drive.
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 01-23-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Oh, and FAIW, I owned one of these too:

... in Dakar Yellow! Oh, what a gorgeous machine! And I sold it. The reason? Every time I wanted to remove a finish screw, it cost me $1.25 -- the price of the stupid little plastic finishing cap that snapped over the special screw head. Then I had a major safety system malfunction that could have injured me severely. I had that fixed, and then the steering angle sensor at the bottom of the steering column went out. That was $700. Tires were $1200 for the cheapo ones, and their tread warranties were only good for something like 20,000 miles. I could see the car would be like a gambling addiction! Moreover, I didn't see any way the safety systems (airbag, antilock brakes, dynamic stability control) would be sustainable into the future when the car became an antique. And then the engine was too powerful for the unibody, so that the differential mount would eventualy give way from metal fatigue. Issues, issues, issues... So I sold it for what I had into it. It was a fun car while I had it.

The best thing you can do, in sizing up this Alfa, is to join an Alfa list

Member ID
    CZCC-16285
    Blog Entries

Already have that on my to do list.

But when I get home today, I will take the Z out for a spin and I bet I will be cured of this silly fling!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Oh, and seriously, if you want a change of pace, go give a 1st gen Miata a test drive. the Miata is perhaps one of the best "Italian" cars you can buy, in a way, but with a much better engine. It's a very cheap addiction. The 1st gen models are at their trough in value, only starting to round the curve into collectable status. The best year is thought to be '94: Larger/better engine with the MAF sensor (not the earlier AFM), better body bracing, real oil pressure gauge (not the lying dummy gauge). (Mine's a '94 -- in red, of course.) You can pick one up in GREAT condition for maybe $4000. If you want a fixer-upper, you might pick up one for as cheap as $500, or even free to a good home. Get one now, before all the tooner kids molest and abuse them! (Rear wheel drive = good drifting car.)

Oh, and aside from the 9 @#$%ing coolant hoses, (one of which is commonly referred to with an expletive), and the cam angle sensor O-ring that likes to go out and drip oil into the transmission bell, it's a pretty decent engine to work on.

I find that my Z and my Miata get along very nicely together, and neither one breaks the bank.
    Last edited by FastWoman; 01-23-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-15411

The 1750 would be also on my list. I'm trying to find a different solution than yours: get some space and get te Z AND the Alfa
    Dreaming is not forbidden, it gives me a goal for the future.

Engine and chassis are awesome apparently and very fun to drive.
    Next on my list is an Alpine A110 1600s, that's when I would win the lottery! I had the chance to drive one for 25 minutes, it was incredible!
    Matt - 72' 240z

Member ID
    CZCC-6478

I've always loved the E-Type, but don't think I'd get rid of my 240Z to get one. Attached are some pics of my 240Z next to an E-Type at Katie's Cars and Coffee in Great Falls Virginia from last fall. I've only seen one or two other nice 240Z at Katie's. There are usually a half dozen E-Types...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1310515.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	69352 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1310517.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	269.3 KB 
ID:	69353 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1310518.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	69354 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1310520.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	69355 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1310514.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	69356

Member ID
    CZCC-26437

Zedyone, I understand your predicament perfectly. I have wanted one since I was kid, as you say perfect from every angle.
    The subtle curve of the belt line from front to back is irresistible. I almost bought one a few years back, there was a $1000 between what he wanted and what I could afford. I asked him if I could take it for a real drive out of the city so I could convince myself to "find" the other $1000. It was fairly stock but had uprated swaybars and a racing lap belt.
    All I can say is that I was disappointed. It may have been designed in the late 60's but the steering and suspension geometry is ancient. I felt it handled a notch above my Triumph TR6 which was terrible and no where near as good as the Z.
    I would just advise you to take one for a spin first.
    The engines are easy to work on but pricey. Not a lot of after market for them these days. Is a niche market similar to our Z's but more so.
    1970 240Z HLS30 01955 March/70

Member ID
    CZCC-1812

My first choice for a dream car would be a mid 60's Ford GT40. 289 w/302 head, 203 mph, down the strait @ Lemans. A beautiful car, however I'd keep my 240Z & Fairlady Z.
    10/69 Fairlady ZL 5-speed
    '72 240Z
    '09 Nissan Altima Coupe

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

This is the GTA I would buy - if I could buy it.
    An Insult to Shoestrings | Hemmings Motor News

Lee Midgley was the co-driver with Peter Brock at the 1973 Baja 500 - in the BRE Baja Z. Although competitors on the track Peter and Lee were friends that teamed up for the Baja.. So I have a little "Alfa" history mixed into the Baja Z..

I do agree - I would like to own a really clean, STOCK GTA - I'd take that Yellow One!! If you want one - you better grab it NOW - as they are going up in price weekly.

Carl

Member ID
    CZCC-22416

they are gorgeous cars, i wouldn''t blame you. but in the spirit of full disclosure, i also own one of these:

Name:	fiat spider.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	69357

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Quote Originally Posted by Zedyone_kenobi View Post
    I have always had an insane love for alfa GTV's. I have been thinking of selling the Z and picking up an Alfa GTV 1750 or 2000. I know the all the drawbacks and tradeoffs. I know the history. I just cannot get it out of my system, and I cannot have two cars at once. I figure if I sold the Z for a fair price, I could save up for a year and then find a very good condition GTV. I know there are parts catalogs out there.

Does anybody have any experience with the mythologically beautiful cars to tall me, HELL NO, it is a mistake? I adore my Z. Love driving it. It has been and could be fun for the next 20 years. But what do you do when you cannot stop looking at Alfa's.
    Hey looking is 80% of the fun!! It doesn't mean you HAVE to buy one. I guarantee that you will regret selling your Z. I sold my yellow '71 over threee years ago and I still regret it.

But if you insist on selling it, let me know, I just might be interested.

Enjoy the looking!

Marty

Member ID
    CZCC-16285
    Blog Entries

Its the regret that scares me. Having a piece of japanese history in my garage with the looks and pedigree to back up the performance is just a blessing to own.

I know I will miss the performance of the L28!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

There is one for sale in the classifieds at the back of this months issue of Classic Motorsports. No real price listed but he states it's 95% done with a complete restoration and he has $35K invested. Nice cars, Way back when I was fast, a GTV-6 would show up at the events once or twice a year and wax my tail. They can be driven fast. I got the owner to switch cars with me and I beat him by a second a lap. Love to be driven aggressively. Nothing subtle about them...
    Rob
    2000 BMW R1100 RT-SE (for sale)
    1999 Toyota 4Runner Supercharged
    1975 Porsche 914 stroker motor autoX car
    1973 Datsun 240Z Restoration project. New paint in original white. E31 head on 2.4 block. Nissan Motorsports header. R200 with Nissan motorsports LSD.

Member ID
    CZCC-19584

No way. Can't happen.

Just look at the smile the Z car brings to your face!!

Not denying the need for an Alfa, but not at the expense of the Z.

Mike.

Name:	DSC_0741.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	69365

Name:	DSC_0796.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	69366

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

I couldn't do it - too many years and memories for me.............but - if I did this would be in the top 10 choices.

Name:	alfa-romeo_100342273_l.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	69373
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-14126

Save the Z for Zedytwo_kenobi.......borrow the money to buy the Alpha. Gotta admit....the yellow one is beautiful!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7600346077563/

70, 71, 2 72's, and a 73 240z....
    90 300zx and a 1996 Acura NSX.....but who's counting?

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

FYI Just saw a yellow 69 in Hemmings Jan. '14 mag. for $17k

Boat Anchor Repairman Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-24608

Still can't shake the old Alfas, huh?

First generation Spider. The Giulietta Spider.
    Before the "Duetto". Before the "Graduate".

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

^^^ Nice!

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

Old Alfas are really cool and quite beautiful, but you will be swearing at the Italian engineers on a daily basis after owning a well engineered Japanese car. There are several Alfas that race in Chump and the only ones that do well are the ones owned by the grizzled old guys who have lived and breathed Italian cars for 40 years.

Like Guy hinted at, do it, but not until you can ADD one to the garage next to the Z rather than replacing your pride and joy.
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285
    '78 280 10:1 CR, Arizona Z Car header, urethane bushings, Tokico springs, Illumina struts, Panasports w/Hankook R-S2 225/50R16 tires, Maxima 105 amp alternator
    http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...00&ppuser=7975
    '74 260Z BRE look-alike crap can for Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series Racing racing
    https://www.facebook.com/Jeff.Grauer

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

You should drive one first to see if you like how they feel. Don't forget that Jon Morton kicked one's a$$ over a season with a 510. I've gotten to the point where I can admire and appreciate the architecture and art of certain cars without feeling the need to own them.
    Last edited by tlorber; 01-23-2014 at 11:07 PM.

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by Sean240Z View Post
    I've always loved the E-Type, but don't think I'd get rid of my 240Z to get one. Attached are some pics of my 240Z next to an E-Type at Katie's Cars and Coffee in Great Falls Virginia from last fall. I've only seen one or two other nice 240Z at Katie's. There are usually a half dozen E-Types...

Name:	P1310515.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	69352 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1310517.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	269.3 KB 
ID:	69353 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1310518.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	69354 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1310520.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	69355 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1310514.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	69356

From my personal opinion, I don't like the E-type design, the back end is really weird and out of proporsions, but that could be me..
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-16285
    Blog Entries

You guys are great.

I mean really great!

Thanks so much. The Z will be staying.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Just put some alfa badges on your z..... most don't know the difference.

and if you want Italian just do a 250 GTZ kit.

Name:	exeter07-omgtz.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	69411

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Quote Originally Posted by FastWoman View Post
    OK, I admit it's a very cute little car. It looks quite a bit like a bimmer.

Before you buy into a different car model, just be careful to size up the support, whether it be parts or fellow enthusiasts to advise you. That would be my objection to the E-Type. I mean... come one! It's drop-dead gorgeous! However, parts are more of an issue, as I understand it. Furthermore, it's not the sort of car I could feel comfortable driving to the grocery store. I'd end up looking at it a lot in the garage and finding excuses to make little roadtrips on the parkway. I sold a gorgeous 1966 Mustang that was too perfect to drive. It was not a fun car, because I was too terrified to scratch it. The Jag would be somewhat the same, unless it were in less than pristine condition, in which case it wouldn't make a good DD because of parts issues.

The Pantera? That would be a brief fling. It would be another jewel in the garage (like the Mustang) that I would soon realize is no fun to own. So I'd fix it up and sell it.

The GT2000? I'd do an all-out restoration and sell her for top dollar, and she'd be a fond memory for the rest of my life.

But frankly, after all of this, I'd return to the Z. And if/when the Z becomes too old to be a practical DD, with parts support (and people support) dwindling I think the Miata will be my car of choice. I own one now, and the little car is a real kick! However, the Z is one of those "just right" cars.

But yes, I can understand your love affair with the little Alfa! Do what sings to your heart!
    DeTomaso? Egads...

I worked on a Mangusta once, one of the biggest POS ever. If the Pantera shares anything with the Mangusta, I'd assume the same goes for the Pantera. Cool to look at but don't look too closely, and don't even think about working on it...
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-16285
    Blog Entries

For the price of that kit I am sure I could buy an alfa!!!
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-22534

Member ID
    CZCC-4964

My first car inherited. I had to make it run, and fix the rust. I mastered the SPICA injection, and then on a trip to Italy, I pulled DCOE Doubles and an intake in a Milan junkyard for $100,000 lire. About $60. I added some hot Ereminas cams and the car was incredible. The music!

The only thing that you need to get used to is the driving position. The Italian cars are pretty far off from everything else....mainly the pedal to steering wheel position.

Me next to it when it was new in the family.

Now I have a 240 and a 280 but REALLY have the GTV bug myself. I feel your pain.
    Dave C, Putnam, NY
    NYZCC - Membership Director

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

check the last pic in the vintage racing pic thread lol

Member ID
    CZCC-21264

Preparing to overtake

Thread Information