Thread: fuel gauge/sending unit

Member ID
    CZCC-7592

Default fuel gauge/sending unit

I dropped my gas tank for cleaning. The fuel gauge hasn't worked in a while. Checking the sending unit I'm getting ohm readings close to spec plus fluctuation from full to empty. Back at the tank area upon doing the gauge check by grounding the yellow (live), the gauge is supposed to bury the needle, nothing happens. Connecting the hot and ground to the meter I'm getting continuity reading. From those indications it appears I need a new gauge. Rebuilt are $200 which I will get if what I'm doing I is correct. Are there any other tests available?
    Late 260Z; 2005 Daytona Blue paint; Triple Webers 40DCOE; competition springs w/Tokico HP shocks; Koenig 17x7 Crosshairs w/ Yokohama AVS 215/45 WR 17; Original owner; Show car w/ many awards

Member ID
    CZCC-7592

Dropped the fuel/amp gauge off at Z Car Source (they are available via the web) in Phoenix. They recommended doing a rebuild to assure compatibility with the wiring versus buying a used unit. They shipped the completed gauge back to me within a day. I installed the now cleaned tank and gauge, filled the tank and hurray!... the gauge now works. It actually reads full for the first time in years! The cost of the rebuild after many frustrating years was worth it.
    Late 260Z; 2005 Daytona Blue paint; Triple Webers 40DCOE; competition springs w/Tokico HP shocks; Koenig 17x7 Crosshairs w/ Yokohama AVS 215/45 WR 17; Original owner; Show car w/ many awards

Thread Information