Thread: Speedometer still not working

Formerly known as Koalia Reverend's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-20168

Default Speedometer still not working

I installed my 5 speed tranny last spring and put the correct pinion (black, if i remember correctly) BUT my speedo has not been working since. Worked fine before the swap. First i tought it was not deep enough in the tranny, so i shoved it in. Did'nt help. I swapped the pinion mounts (i had 2 of'em) and tried. No bueno.

Used a electric drill with speedo cable, and my oh my it moved. SO, what is the matter? Pinion is not ruined or anything, looks just fine to my eye just like the blue one i had in 4 speed. Why does it not work even i have pushed it way deep in the transmission?
    -72 240Z "Goldie"

Low Budget/High Value
    Member ID
    CZCC-20342

When you installed the pinion gear did you use the complete aluminum assembly or did you remove the little pin and swap gears? The gear is actually offset to one side in the assembly and when Nissan changed the location of the hold-down screw they moved the hold-down slot to the other side. The two assemblies look the same but if you use a later assembly in an early transmission the gear will be too far away to be driven. People either cut a new slot or swap just the plastic gear.

Found a picture on the inter-web. Post #3.

Matching Speedo Gears after Rear End Swap - 620 - Ratsun Forums
    1976 280Z, with some minor modifications

Member ID
    CZCC-20168

I have 2 sets of aluminium assemblies. First i used the one that came with 5 speed, and then one from 4 speed. Neither of them worked. Both trannies have the hold down screw at the bottom of pinion...
    -72 240Z "Goldie"

Low Budget/High Value
    Member ID
    CZCC-20342

Does the gear inside the transmission turn with the wheels? You could probably see in there with a mirror. I don't think much oil will drain out of the hole. Jack the back end of the car up to be sure it's higher than the fill hole.

That's all I got.

Member ID
    CZCC-20168

Correction, both trannies have hold down screw at the above, not bottom of aluminium mount. How deep must the pinion be in the hole? I wonder if i have overpushed it too deep
    -72 240Z "Goldie"

Low Budget/High Value
    Member ID
    CZCC-20342

The gear assembly should be just deep enough that the metal lock-plate fits in to the slot. It's piece #63, in the upper right corner of this drawing. The slot should determine how deep the assembly sits.

Notice piece #65 also. It's the drive gear inside the transmission. I think that it might be plastic also and can get damaged.

Datsun 280Z Transmission Gears, Speedometer Pinion (5 Speed-FS5W71B) (From Aug.-'76)

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I pushed mine to deep once, the sound wasn't nice and it didn't work.. then I saw the slot like zed head mentions.. it worked then.
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 03-14-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-8342

I had a similar issue when I put in a 5 spd. I rotated the speedo gear housing 180 degrees in the transmission, cut a new slot with a Dremel tool. Problem solved.

Cheers, Mike
    '73 240Z, 80,000 original miles, F54, N42 massaged and shaved (10.5-1 comp.), stage 2 cam, ZX ignition, Header, 2 1/2" exhaust w/ magnaflow muffler, 5 spd (Maxima), 4:11 R180 (200SX), 15" Rota RBs 205-60/15 Bridgestone Grid 109s, KYB struts, stock springs, rubber bushings, MSA sway bars and strut bars, HotRod Air hvac system, '90 300ZX seats, upgraded sound system, BRE-type spook and spoiler

Member ID
    CZCC-20168

I gotta try that, i can always experiment on the one i have loose before doing any "final" modificationos to the one installed.
    -72 240Z "Goldie"

Member ID
    CZCC-20168

I did the modifications to the pinion ring mount and installed it upside down. No effect
    -72 240Z "Goldie"

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Seems your pinion is not hitting the driving gear in the gearbox. In other words it's not driven.
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Thread Information