Thread: Hello from Texas - 71' 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-30579

Cool Hello from Texas - 71' 240Z

Hello from Texas. . .

I have always really liked Z's and had friends and family who had a few and was always impressed by them now have ended up with one myself.
    I built a few cars 69 z28, Firebirds more recently doing the c10 truck thing and coming to the end of a project happened upon this one, I think is a real gem.

Sooo . . . What I have is a 1971 240Z with a fairly interesting story to me anyways So here we go . . .

Was looking for parts and met up with a guy with a few cars and was told were “stored in the barn and not really touched since the 80's”. In this part of the world can be good or bad, usually bad . . . rust, So I went to check them out ended up buying a car.

Story goes: He owned a body shop and bought this car from the original owner in 1980 with about 25k miles and drove it a little bit and decided to repaint it from horrible orange to black his words and half way through ended up losing interest. Eventually sold his shop in the late 80’s and all his cars to his home shop the barn. Where the car sat under a cover until I bought it this year.

I now have a 1971’ 240 with somewhere around 34K on it which is almost unbelievable to me except that I can verify it. The PO’s were very methodical in keeping repair logs with their mileages, costs etc. filling out the owner’s maintenance book with the little tear out sheets for every 2-3k miles up to its current mileage and a cost owner ship book. It’s a really great car that has the least amount of rust of any old car I have ever worked on almost 99.999% rust free and perfectly straight.

The Bad /Challenge: The motor was pulled and the bay was painted behind the fenders etc. then mostly reassembled but left the glass removed and primed ready to spray and was abandoned for like 20 years or so but they did a really good job so it seems to have really saved it from the rust. They had drained all the fluids during the motor removal and even pulled the tank . . . good right. until you try and bring it all back from the dead. That’s where I am at now going through all the systems and putting it together to make it run and stop.
    A big Japanese jigsaw puzzle of boxes full of parts.

As soon as I can get it reliably moving and stopping under its own power it’s in the paint booth.
    Thanks for looking and yes I will Follow up with the Pictures . . . .

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

We'll consider it as helping you with the first stage of restoring . The PO did all the tearing down for you- lol
    A good body saves ton of time an money so you are ahead of the game.
    Get some pics up!!
    Welcome
    Steve
    71 240z,bw-5sp 2.4-40 over,balanced,e-88,big valves,ported&polished, stage2,header, triple Mikuni's 40's
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

"A Japanese jigsaw puzzle" that's great! Welcome aboard and yes, please put up some pictures.
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Member ID
    CZCC-30579

Let them begin !

cover removed

first view photo howitwasfound_zpsbf8b7b13.jpg
    First time outside in a looong time. Tires frozen, Had to drag it out with my truck but they loosened up.
     photo IMG_0276outsideatlast_zps6057d94b.jpg
    going for a ride
    in transit photo IMG_0289intransit_zps218b2b5a.jpg
    Tight fit - good driver
    a tight fit photo IMG_0290atightfit_zpsf2738690.jpg
    New Home
    delivered 1 photo IMG_0298delivered2_zpseb0cbb25.jpg

More to come . . .

Member ID
    CZCC-30579

delivered 2 photo IMG_0299delivered1_zps7142feb0.jpg
    A little dust . . .
    a little dust photo IMG_0296alittledust_zpse56f06d3.jpg
    cleaned up seat
    one cleaned photo IMG_0303seats_zps8436c189.jpg
    After the initial cleaning
    after first cleaning photo IMG_0312afterinitialcleaning_zpsf612292f.jpg

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Hi Hwyman456:
    Looks like a really GREAT Barn Find!! I would have grabbed that in a heart beat!! Great bodies are so hard to find today.

As these cars are just now starting to regain market values {after the financial melt down 6 years ago}. Their future as Classic's is looking ever brighter. Personally - I'd pull that engine back out - and put the engine bay and the car - back to its original Orange {or any original 71 color}. But as we say "to each his own".

It will be very helpful if you can find someone in your area - willing to come help from time to time - to put that puzzle back together. I'm sure you can do it by yourself - but a knowledgeable Z Friend could save you a lot of time..

No matter what - chances are you will love that 240Z!

Good luck,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Damn,
    Looks like that dash is crack free. Ditto on the nice find. You are way ahead of the game with a solid chassis. Don't fret, we have a lot of Z assemblers on staff here to assist.
    Steve
    71 240z,bw-5sp 2.4-40 over,balanced,e-88,big valves,ported&polished, stage2,header, triple Mikuni's 40's
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Wow that is fantastic. Keep it original and you will have a great investment too.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-18715

Wow what a great find! I see it has the vents in the rear pillars so it is a series two, what is the serial number and build date? I will watch this thread with interest as you bring her back to life! Have fun !

Member ID
    CZCC-30579

All cleaned up with a couple fresh coats of paint. I came out great now I have to figure out how to do the rest of the parts around the rear end.
     photo IMG_03671_zps05c22bd6.jpg

Member ID
    CZCC-30579

The vin # is: HLS3032348
    Manufacture date 5/71
    I assume that means this one is #32348 ?

Member ID
    CZCC-28265

Yep!!

Great find...will enjoy your progress updates

Cheers,

George
    Original Registration and Warranty Card

Original owner of: HLS3018859 (Jan./71) ZCOOR Member # 178

'Storms Never Last'

Member ID
    CZCC-30579

Default Its Alive

The z fired up very easy considering it hasn't run since 95 or so according to PO. As expected I now have multiple issues to contend with.

Pulled the plugs and soaked the cylinders and turned it over by had all seemed to move easily and let it set overnight. Changed the oil added coolant, plugs, wires, cap/rotor and fuel and it fired right up to my relief. I was able to start it up a few times with no pumping etc.

Issues . . .
    - Seemed to be running hot and not circulating. Pulled the housing off and the hose part was 1/3 corroded away and I cracked a big chuck off pulling it off. Not the highest quality aluminum or whatever . . . The thermostat was locked and froze in place. replacements ordered

- Repaired, Filled again and now the radiator leaks like crazy from some where along the bottom inner area. Off to the radiator shop. The owner didn't think he could reliably repair it and would try but offers no warranty.
    Ordered a non oem one . . . I will try to fix this one eventually, but guess Ill have a backup.

- carbs leaking through overflow, cleaned out float bowls, problem solved. Thought it would be a good idea to clean main jets and inspect he carb. While removing main dome piece I dropped the inner piece and bent the metering rod. First time to open this type of carb, Nice . . . I was able to straighten it out by turning it, it needs replacement. Oh the joys of auto restoration.

- Decided to mount my freshly refurbished tank while waiting on parts and quickly realized that the vent lines from the tank need to be replaced (hard as rocks). The vapor recovery system is . . . well of a unique design, probably more akin to aircraft but hey what can you do. I sourced lines locally, they are non oem (braided) but fuel compatible and way better than the old ones. Now it is time to repair "the octopus" as my friend now calls it.

Member ID
    CZCC-30579

Default A few observations

One - This car does not have a radio but a little tray where it would go. But in the rear I have the power antenna and 1 rotted out speaker. I inspected the dash and don't see evidence of one. hmmm

Second - The car has ac with a compressor and temp adjustment knob mounted below the dash. I do not have the condenser though but the rest of the systems is in place and had been capped off fairly well. I wonder if this system can be rebuilt?

So no radio but has A/C, seems a bit odd to me?

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

There are accounts of radio delete Z's but you would have to post up a picture of what the opening looks like. Since it has a power antenna and 1 speaker in the back it had a radio at one time.

I bet the switch below the dash sits on a little bezel and says ARA on it. If it doesn't it sounds like you have the remnants of an aftermarket A/C system which was a common dealer install. What does your compressor look like and where is it mounted? Pictures are always good!
    08/1970 240z Series-1 #8011 - Silver, black int., 2.4L I-6, 5spd, 90% restored.
    06/1973 VW Karmann Ghia - Black convertible, 4spd, 1600cc air-cooled engine.
    11/2013 Scion FR-S - Silver, 6spd, a car with the soul of a Z for the modern times.
    Restoration thread of my old '72 240z -> http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/o...1972-240z.html

Thread Information