Thread: '73 Choke lever assembly

Member ID
    CZCC-24191

Default '73 Choke lever assembly

At first I thought I broke the cable or the handle, but it's probably not that bad. When I pulled out the ashtray and some greasy jute material that was in there, and looked into the metal pan under it, I saw that the screw that holds the cable and lever assembly had fallen out. It was there along with a small nut, two thick plastic washers and a thin metal washer. Using a mirror and flashlight I can see what I think is the end of the cable, maybe a loop, but can't reach it with the lever in the way.

Before I attempt to take it apart, wonder if there's a link to a drawing or photo of it. Tried the search feature but it didn't find it. Kind of difficult working under the ashtray.

Member ID
    CZCC-8626

Does this help:

XenonS30

If you search around on xenons30 you probably find the console as well, or download the '73 FSM.

Mike
    '70 240Z - (HLS30-06521) restoring stock, owned since '78
    http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...r=8626&cat=500

'13 Audi A5 S-Line
    '04 GMC Sierra SLT Quad Cab
    '88 Suzuki Samurai - SPOA, 1.6L EFI, 31" Mud Kings, 5:13's, Custom Bush Bar, CRX Seats.
    '91 Suzuki Samurai - 2" Body Lift, Smittybilt Bumper, Warn 6000, Prelude Seats. - Sold
    '80 Suzuki LJ80 project - Sold

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Her is an ebay seller with some photos that might help

Datsun 240Z 1972 73 Choke Cable Lever Mounting Bracket | eBay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqMOKi0E31R-o1GzBN-5ddIW,!~~_12.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	72677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqUOKpgE3uZ!pb-2BN-5dY1,nw~~_12.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	72678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqUOKkUE3V,GknS3BN-5d,cQ4!~~_12.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	72679  
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

Post #6 also has some photos that might help, http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/i...r-console.html
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Member ID
    CZCC-24191

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Choke lever 1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	72683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Choke lever 3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	72684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Choke lever 2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	72685
    Thank you, ISP too slow for that manual download today. Here's some shots of it.

Will I need to unhook the choke cables at the carbs to get the thing out and back in?

Looks like it's attached to the top (underside) of that cavity under the ashtray, instead of to the bottom, on the '73's (built 9/72).

Those plastic caps on the warning lights in front of the ashtray don't look stock, wonder what was done.
    Last edited by Stanley; 07-11-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-29883

I had better access to the choke lever assembly by removing the console first. A couple of the plastic screw bosses were broken. Epoxied them back in place, lubed the cables, choke lever assembly & carbs. It works fine for now but I'm sure I will have to beef up the mounting point for a permanent fix. I suspect if everything was periodically lubed there would be little problem with the inferior design.

Member ID
    CZCC-8342

The one thing I found that helps to make the cables run smoother is to use the 70-72 position for the cable through the firewall. In 73 they had a much longer cable and ran it through the firewall on the passenger side. Earlier cars had the through the firewall on the driver's side with much shorter cables. If you look real close under the throttle linkage on the firewall in the engine compartment you will find a small dimple in the firewall. This is where the old series choke cables ran. You will find an unused cut-out in the interior firewall insulation, too. I used a hole saw to open it up, moved the grommet the cables run through (got a new one from MSA because the old one was old and torn), moved the cables and shortened the outer casing, ran the cables through the choke assemblies on the carbs and shortened them. Lubed the cables and they are effortless and place almost zero stress on the lever. You could cover the old hole with a rubber plug, but I used it for one of the lines on my A/C install.

Cheers, Mike
    Darrel likes this.
    '73 240Z, 80,000 original miles, F54, N42 massaged and shaved (10.5-1 comp.), stage 2 cam, ZX ignition, Header, 2 1/2" exhaust w/ magnaflow muffler, 5 spd (Maxima), 4:11 R180 (200SX), 15" Rota RBs 205-60/15 Bridgestone Grid 109s, KYB struts, stock springs, rubber bushings, MSA sway bars and strut bars, HotRod Air hvac system, '90 300ZX seats, upgraded sound system, BRE-type spook and spoiler

Member ID
    CZCC-24191

Finally got around to messing with it again. Borrowed a '72 body manual but it didn't have anything. Figured out the bolt can only go one way. It goes in from the lever side, then there's a plastic washer (or two?), then through the mounting bracket with metal washer and the nut on the other side. The plastic caps snap open, they have a retaining ring around the screw. I took one out and loosened the other so the bracket could move a little.

The bolt and washers kept falling apart on the lever until I put a little paper clip on to hold it together while getting it lined up with the hole in the bracket. Finally got it hooked up.

But I did it wrong! I did bolt head, plastic washer, lever, plastic washer, bracket like the third photo posted by EuroDat (that setup looks way different than mine, BTW). But after trying it, looks like it should be bolt head, lever, both plastic washers, bracket. I think. Otherwise it binds. Need to redo it. Wonder if there's an exploded drawing of it somewhere.

Might not have been easier to remove the console, at least on the 73.
    Last edited by Stanley; 07-18-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post

But I did it wrong! I did bolt head, plastic washer, lever, plastic washer, bracket like the third photo posted by EuroDat (that setup looks way different than mine, BTW). But after trying it, looks like it should be bolt head, lever, both plastic washers, bracket. I think. Otherwise it binds. Need to redo it. Wonder if there's an exploded drawing of it somewhere.

Might not have been easier to remove the console, at least on the 73.
    That doesn't seem right. You would think the Bolt head - Washer - Lever - Washer would be the correct combination. That way the lever is in between the two plastic washers. No metal to metal contact and less friction/wear on the parts.

Sounds like the lever maybe bent or way out of alignment. Maybe a PO bent it to compensate for an incorrect install? I have a European 260Z manual (hard copy) but it doesn't show any detail of the choke mechanism. Im just rambling a bit, having a 280z with efi myself doesn't help much either.

Can you see were it is binding? Is the cable aligned. If the cable has to make a sharp bend, it will bind.

Chas
    Last edited by EuroDat; 07-20-2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: spelling :( should of had that second cup of coffee
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

Member ID
    CZCC-21264

Just remove console and see post 3. Great aftermarket fix.

4 or 5 screws is all that holds the console in place.

Once it is out you can effect whatever repair is necessary.
    If you could only go back

Member ID
    CZCC-24191

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Choke lever fix.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	72909

Right, the washers were in the correct order, it was binding because the bracket wasn't centered. Loosened the two screws and lined it up, now it's OK. Couldn't find the silicone so put some spray grease on it.

Member ID
    CZCC-12027

Don't want to derail the thread but where can you source the little screw that holds the plastic choke handle onto the lever mechanism?

Thread Information