Thread: Hello Z Folks

Member ID
    CZCC-30359

Default Hello Z Folks

Hello from Georgia! I've been lurking on here a little while and finally joined. I'm impressed with the knowledge and the willingness to share by all of the members here and hope I can contribute in some small way as I have started an adventure with a 77' 280. I previously owned a 71' 240 in the late 70's and never really got over it, So I'm back in the saddle again and loving it. Started work on the 77 in May and it's coming along nicely with the engine running well and the suspension feeling more solid. Working on Rust issues now and hopefully resolved soon with new floor pans, Rails, and spare tire well. Glad to be here.
    GW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLW6337.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	261.6 KB 
ID:	73593  

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Welcome to the club GW.
    Your car looks nice and clean in the photo. Like you said, members here are friendly and willing to help. I have a 77 as well that is pretty much stock and Im slowly restoring between other projects.
    Enjoy
    Chas
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

Torch Wielding Villager gogriz91's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-2233

Bring it to ZNationals in Carrolton on October 11th. There will probably be 10-15 first gen cars that show up.
    '73 HLS30 129806 ; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, 3.90 R200 LSD

Heavily medicated for your protection

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

Glad you're here. Really cool color combination.
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

I'm thinking the number will be on the higher side of the 10 to 15 estimate for ZNationals, provided the weather is good. I can name at least 10 people in the Atlanta area that I expect to show up. I'm also going to hang out at track day since it's in my neck of the woods.

Anyway, Greg, I think there's an active club in the Chattanooga area. Scenic City Z Club

Besides ZNationals, the next ZCON will be in Memphis.
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Blue's collection of tech tips - A great place to look for answers
    XenonS30 -The cheap source for FSMs
    Georgia Z Club
    Fiddling with Z Cars - Z car tips & tricks and pictures of my car-loving life.
    Steve's CARtography - Just car pictures.

Member ID
    CZCC-30359

Thanks for the greetings and salutations all. I don't think it will be ready for ZNationals this year. Everything on this Z in original as far as I can tell, so I keep finding things that need attention and as you probably know, one thing touches another. If I didn't have A.D.D. before, I probably will after this is done. Thanks for the tip SteveJ, I'm just south of Chatt and I will check them out. Just finished Painting the interior panels and I'm doing a little POR 15 this weekend. Next on the list is installing rear sway bar urethanes and an RT mount.

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

Nice looking car. Good luck with the rebuild. I thought that it would take a year or so to get mine running again, but everytime that I took one broken part off to replace it I found 3 more... It took me 5 years to get it running and two more to get it running well.

But yours looks to be in much better shape.
    '71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

Member ID
    CZCC-30359

Thanks Walter. The main reason I picked this one was because it was running and I wouldn't have to drag it home! This is how it looked the day I got it, after a wash of course. I drove it from Griffin GA through ATL rush hour to NW GA. It had fuel problems (sputtered) and the steering wobbled. I was just a little nervous. But a good tune with a new fuel filter and a tire balance cured most of the immediate woes. Lucky me! The previous previous owner had some love for this car. The last one, not so much.

I'm hoping to have a good solid runner this spring…… . Up close it is definitely a 38yr old Z and paint is somewhere on the horizon

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

A.D.D, O.C.D and the BCDD. You've got them all now.

Working on mine have been the cause of alot of worrying and doing things I normally wouldn't do, going overboard is a good term. The 1st year was the worst, the last 2 have been the best. After I completely rebuilt my '77 I stayed around this forum reading and learning more, I think I know more about the cars from what I've read than I actually do the cars. After reading so much about 240s I had to have one, now I have two!

These cars and the folks on here have changed my life. I've always had good figuring out sense but Zs have taken it to another level. I've learned patience, and that's something I've never had. The guy I work for always tells me to "do like you do those cars" when I'm up against a challenge at work. My parents have noticed a calmer person too.

Anxiety gets things done. Keep doing what you're doing.

Best help for a '77, Tech Tips

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

A non-running Z isn't running isn't enough of a reason to skip ZNationals.

Cliff - You're planning on going to ZNationals, aren't you?
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Georgia Z Club

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

I didn't even know it was going to be in Mumphis this year, so heck yeah! I'm gonna make a vacation out of it if I can swing it with my job. I've always wanted to do that "Blues Highway" trip through Mississippi anyway and Zcon would be the icing on the cake.

We'll get together for sure.

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

ZNationals will be in Carrollton this year. ZCON will be in Memphis in 2015. You are expected at both.

And your claims of ignorance have been formally dismissed since you posted in the thread on the 2015 convention. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/o...tml#post462865
    The kangaroo court finds you guilty.
    Last edited by SteveJ; 08-29-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Georgia Z Club

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

Ha! Actually I first read about it here,http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/o...hello-all.html, then went to the 2015 ZCON thread. I didn't pay attention to it at first because it's always somewhere way away from me but when I did read it I about fell in the floor laughing at YOUR post.

Me and gwri8 should have plenty of time to get our cars ready. I'm hoping it's not in August though, it's still hotter than 3 feet up a goats arse down here. 95 today!

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

Meh. I drove the 74 to the convention in Savannah in 2011. Just get up early in the morning to get to the hotel at check-in time. Then shower off the sweat.
    In the interests of full disclosure, She Who Must Be Obeyed drove her car separately to enjoy the benefits of air conditioning.
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Georgia Z Club

Member ID
    CZCC-30359

If I can find someone local to weld in some floor pans, spare tire well and the rear slam panel soon I could possibly make it. She won't be pretty though :-). By the way, my name is Greg. Sorry I did not post it before. My habit of signing emails is my initials.

Member ID
    CZCC-30359

Also, If anyone needs parts there is a fella in Alabama I've been buying from. He has 4 77's, one whole, one bare, and the other two in pieces. I found him on CL and I think he's starting to sell on ebay now. If anyone is interested let me know an I'll give you his #. He has quite a few hard to find parts.

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

Quote Originally Posted by gwri8 View Post
    Also, If anyone needs parts there is a fella in Alabama I've been buying from. He has 4 77's, one whole, one bare, and the other two in pieces. I found him on CL and I think he's starting to sell on ebay now. If anyone is interested let me know an I'll give you his #. He has quite a few hard to find parts.
    Hey that's great, I might need a part or 4. I've been seeing a lot of stuff on Huntsville's CL.

Thread Information