Thread: How Would You Hand This '73 240z Over To It's Next Enthusiast?

Member ID
    CZCC-25856

Default How Would You Hand This '73 240z Over To It's Next Enthusiast?

Basically, I found this 1973 240z through word of mouth. It was not listed for sale anywhere. The story is it was an older gentleman's old time hot rod. He had a heart attack. I bought it from the guy's sister. My only intention is to get it in the hands of a Z fan, and not cut up or in the scrap yard.

When I bought it, the car was on jack stands. There is the typical rust. The guy clearly loved the car at one point. I bought it with clear New Mexico title, soon to be in my name in a Georgia title. It has Montana and West Virginia stickers on the rear bumper.

Here's what I've found out so far:
    -PO refinished wheels, brake drums (I had to put the wheels on car at purchase)
    -rear brakes rebuilt at some point
    -all brake hoses replaced
    -replaced alternator
    -pertronix ignition
    -rebuilt distributor
    -re-cored radiator by NM shop
    -aftermarket cam (ccw core) looks great
    -non-factory oil spray bar (this sucker is stout, no flex or anything, functional)
    -full cartech 4bbl holley setup with plenum (never seen plenum for sale)
    -rust in rockers, floors, lower door skins, dog legs, battery tray.
    -the seat supports and floor are semi-stable--I can sit in the car without sinking
    -interior is ratty
    -hatch area above taillights looks great, except has dime sized hole. tool boxes, spare wheel area completely solid
    -I can't find any bondo on the car whatsoever
    -looks to have been repainted at some point
    -windshield has been replaced, newer gasket, no pits/nicks in glass
    -at least driver's side window replaced
    -it has maintenance stickers all over it, looks like jiffy lube serviced it at 145,000 miles in 2001, it's now at 145 and change
    -no clutch pressure, but master cylinder is full of fluid. I'll sort that out this weekend

I rigged up a gas IV of sorts to the carb, and she started immediately with fresh gas. The idle was so smooth I couldn't believe it. The aftermarket fuel pump (purolator proformance) was dead, bought a Mr. Gasket 5-7psi to hook up this weekend.

Note: photos were taken with flat passenger's side tires...they have been filled and hold air.

Basically my question is, do I sell it as-is (running, rust, cheaper), or put some time into it, getting it on the road, sorting out clutch, brakes, rust. My theory is, as-is, those with Datsun experience knows the rust is not out of the ordinary, and will fix the rust the right way or turn it into a race car. I have a lot of friends that love Datsuns, but are unfamiliar with them, and some have a sort of mindset that if it has rust/bondo they can't enjoy driving it. If a beginner takes on the rust, the project could never be on the road again, but if I put a little work into it, then sell it, it is more likely to be on the road longer/be enjoyed more.

I have a garage full of spare/performance parts (car was built 3 months before my own) as well as a full 4 screw SU setup. I'm thinking about taking the cartech setup to put on the shelf.

I have a fellow Subaru owner friend that wants the car pretty bad, but isn't experienced in diagnosing problems in an older vehicle. We have to learn somehow I suppose.

My goal/plan is $1500-3000 depending on how much time/money I put into her. The Z population is thin on eBay, especially in this condition, and craigslist in the southeast is sparse as well. Most cars are 280z/280zx.

So let me hear your thoughts.
    http://www.hookit.com/members/triingsoldier/

Member ID
    CZCC-21075

Ship it to haZmatt in Colorado, the rust repair would be a mornings work for him - like Ed on wheeler dealers.
    He is waiting on his Rebello motor anyway.

Just make sure when you sell it, it goes too a true Z enthusiast so that the car is saved & returns to the road.
    1977 280z 06/77

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

I know someone in the Atlanta who might be interested. PM me.
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Blue's collection of tech tips - A great place to look for answers
    XenonS30 -The cheap source for FSMs
    Georgia Z Club
    Fiddling with Z Cars - Z car tips & tricks and pictures of my car-loving life.
    Steve's CARtography - Just car pictures.

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

Engine bay looks like paint #110 but the body looks like #918. What's the sticker on the radiator support say? Just curious.
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Member ID
    CZCC-25856

I agree it doesn't look like original color. Paint code isn't visible on the sticker. Underneath looks red as well where undercoating has flaked off. Door jams are orange if I remember correctly. It has has the metal splash pan, which I was surprised to see.
    Last edited by 73str86; 09-12-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

That is definitely a project car but it has a lot of good things going for it. Kudos to you for rescuing it. The fact that it runs is a huge plus. Given everything that has been done to it and everything it still needs I would say it’s worth right at $3K, maybe a little more. The rust is what really brings the value down. The carb and manifold is a non-issue. If you like the Car-Tech 4bbl setup and want to swap the dual carbs on, go for it. At the very least I would say get it running on fuel out of the tank if you can. I know that means dropping the tank, cleaning, etc. but it will be worth it. Just getting that taken care of alone would bring the value up several hundred dollars. Given the amount of rust the car has its going to require someone with the skills to fix it or the money to farm it out. If your Subaru buddy really wants it and will pony up what its really worth then sell it to him. The bottom line, the car needs quite a bit to be safe and roadworthy. An old Z is probably one of the best old cars to learn how to work on a vintage vehicle. If your buddy does not want it post it up on the Datsun Classifieds and various Datsun FB pages. There should be no shortage of buyers looking for a running Z project for around $3,500 and those outlets will help ensure it goes to a Z enthusiast.
    Last edited by Hardway; 09-12-2014 at 01:45 PM.
    08/1970 240z Series-1 #8011 - Silver, black int., 2.4L I-6, 5spd, 90% restored.
    06/1973 VW Karmann Ghia - Black convertible, 4spd, 1600cc air-cooled engine.
    11/2013 Scion FR-S - Silver, 6spd, a car with the soul of a Z for the modern times.
    Restoration thread of my old '72 240z -> http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/o...1972-240z.html

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

The good news is you are on the east coast. On the west coast many would scrap that car. East coast guys seem to accept rust a little more than others. Especially northeast. Not bad overall but will be quite a bit of work to get the body up to snuff. Typical looking east coast Z. Your price doesn't seem out of line to me at all. The one i started with a few years ago was i believe $1200 for the car. Everything was there it was just rusty. It was in a little better shape but had rust in all the same areas except the doors were in good shape. I do like how you've specifically sought out a buyer with intentions to drive it. Good luck with the sale.

Member ID
    CZCC-29861

Quote Originally Posted by S30Driver View Post
    Ship it to haZmatt in Colorado, the rust repair would be a mornings work for him - like Ed on wheeler dealers.
    He is waiting on his Rebello motor anyway.

Just make sure when you sell it, it goes too a true Z enthusiast so that the car is saved & returns to the road.
    Haha, if I only had a bigger garage.......

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Personally, I'd sell it to the Subaru friend. He might not know much about these older cars, but he can learn. They're not really all that complicated. Half of the fun is in the learning and discovery, anyway. Since it's a running car, he can enjoy it now and make improvements as he learns and makes time.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

It appears that the exhaust fume problem was cured or reduced by installing that JDM 'bozosoku' (sp) style tail pipe.

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-25856

Pm sent Steve J.

Member ID
    CZCC-25856

New Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump installed, bought new clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder to be installed.

Also listed her on eBay; friend was taking too long to decide and I've realized I don't have much free time to put into the car.

Here's the link, bidding starts at $1.00. I would much rather sell it outside of eBay. Much more photos in the listing description.

Datsun Z Series 240Z | eBay

Member ID
    CZCC-25856

Looks like an eBayer in Bulgaria has met my reserve. The problem is I sent him/her a message 32 hours ago and haven't gotten a reply yet. Advice? I want to delete the bids but am unsure how long I should wait before doing so.

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

I am assuming the bidder from Bulgaria backed out or you canceled their bid. None the less, to really make your auction more attractive you need a lot more pictures and detailed info. As they say in the car biz, "words tell, pictures sell" Several years ago I was selling a good running running but very rusted '77 280z. It was on CL and the Datsun Classifieds. I had a very detailed description and 29 pictures for viewing on my Photobucket. I did not want any perspective buyers to have any illusions of what they were getting or not getting. In the end I got my full asking price of $3,200 and the buyer from out of state had it shipped. I am proud to report he was very happy with it upon its arrival and dove in to fixing the rust.

BTW - What happen to your friend that was interested in buying it?
    Last edited by Hardway; 10-05-2014 at 02:30 PM.
    11/2013 Scion FR-S - Silver, 6spd, a car with the soul of a Z for the modern times.
    Restoration thread of my old '72 240z -> http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/o...1972-240z.html

Member ID
    CZCC-25856

The friend chose a VW camper with no engine for $450.

I had 20+ photos in the description; the auction ended at $910 but did not meet reserve. Next step is a few hours of elbow grease on the interior and engine bay, then leave it on craigslist.

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

My apologies. I did not see the 20+ pictures for whatever reason.

I agree, any cleaning or sprucing up that can be done will go a long away in helping it sale. Good luck with it!

Member ID
    CZCC-25856

Update: Money and elbow grease is finished on my end. Needs complete floor pan patched/replaced, rocker skin/patch, dogleg skin/patch, hole in battery box. No bondo, fiberglass, or sprayfoam in car whatsoever. I spray painted some bare metal/rust orange/black, respectively.

Here's the classiczcar and craigslist ad, many lookers, a couple lowballers (gotta try), two people say they are getting funds together. Another local guy looking this afternoon.

1973 Datsun 240z

I was told in person yesterday "I can get one pretty easily in good condition for $3000."

Datsun Classifieds Ad
    Last edited by 73str86; 10-21-2014 at 02:36 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

Dang! I wish I had room, I'd buy that and part it out. The bumpers and tail light assembly are worth a grand, easily.
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Member ID
    CZCC-25856

Car is pending sale for asking price. A gentleman pulled up in a '65 Datsun pickup his father bought new to look at the Z.

Showed me photos of his nice 2 door 510 and project 411 wagon. I guess he took a loan on his 401k to pick up this project car to complete the family.
    siteunseen likes this.

Member ID
    CZCC-25856

Final update: Yesterday he showed up in another Datsun, this time his daily driver 510. He bought the Z for $1750 and after waiting 3 hours for a flatbed, took her home.

I like to give details in relation to the 240z market. I originally listed it for sale just under a month ago. As I got the clutch operating, new thermostat, cleaned it up without hiding/repairing rust, offers came in. Many, many trade offers. Cash offers of $1,000, $1,200, $1,400 were refused.

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Congrats, and well done! It looks like you really did find a great home for that Z!
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Thread Information