Member ID
    CZCC-8151

Lightbulb Let there be light-----!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3984.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	266.8 KB 
ID:	74279

In preparation for re-assembly of "Buttercup"---1970 (7/70 build date) HLS30-07032 919 Yellow 240Z.
    Fully restored side markers.
    NOS headlight assemblies with original Koito bulbs, NOS turn signal assemblies, NOS license plate lamp, NOS Dome lamp, NOS Inspection lamp.
    Years of searching and collecting for this----had to share a photo of them-----I'm excited!

Jim D.
    'Zup"

Member ID
    CZCC-12190

Incredible!

The pictures do not do them justice. I can imagine the sparkle of the facets in the sunlight.

Power them up and bask in their radiance for 15 min. Get that last bit of tanning in before winter sets in.
    -----------------------------------------
    Jim
    73 240Z HLS30 149331
    69 510 PL510 77603

www.zKars.com
    www.calgaryzclub.ca
    Reference materials
    www.xenonS30.com

Member ID
    CZCC-22303

You really need to calm down before you have a stroke!

Looks super great - going for that stock class win at ZCON '15 up the road in Memphis???

Jim Arnett
    HLS30-15320 12/1970, original owner
    L24-020208 (original)
    IZCC Original Owner Registry #53

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

I've bought 2 of those dome lights from my Nissan dealership, 26410-E4101. Can't wait to quit using flashlights to find my belongings after a twisty road run.
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Member ID
    CZCC-24576

That is some nice stuff, I agree pictures do not do them true justice.

Steve

Member ID
    CZCC-8151

Ha!

Jim K.---
    You are so right on all counts----
    Photos don't do them justice---what you can't see in the headlamps is the huge area of yellow zinc/cadmium plate metal that forms the buckets---like gold--complete with Japanese characters (Kanji-???)--the largest expanse of this type of material and finish on these cars.
    I did hold the turn signals up to the sunlight and basked in the sparkle from the facets before I took the photo. It was damn near intoxicating!
    You should be an authority on this coming Winter thing----(uuggghh already!)

Jim A.----
    Thanks Jim!
    I take 2 baby aspirin a day as prophylaxis already!
    I'll be there at ZCON '15 to meet you in person and shake your hand. Hope to personally meet and greet as many from this forum as possible while there----another blessing of opportunity for this Z nut.
    Buttercup has a long way to go to be ready for ZCON Memphis----it is possible but not likely. I have almost everything I need but truly correct fasteners and a ton of time and money.
    Jim K. (ZKars) is helping me with that in a future pleasant surprise sort of way that I will let him announce when he is ready. Believe me--his project is something to anticipate!
    I certainly don't know about a stock class win---there are some absolutely gorgeous cars out there that have been impeccably gone through by persons much more knowledgeable than me. Buttercup will feature some very rare parts, and will be as accurate as I know to do with information gleaned from members of this forum, but she came to me in parts-- completely disassembled. Quite a disadvantage from cars that we purchased by original owners and faithfully kept.

Zup's Zilver (Silver '73--6/73 build date HLS30-167424) will make the journey for sure if Buttercup doesn't. If Branson Z Fest knew anything about stock class Zilver will be presentable--- with the exception of the round tops and removed smog pump paraphernalia. I'm planning on the entire show from day one to the end as it may be my last.
    I didn't get into these cars for show-- it has just sort of happened because I was fortunate to find really nice examples that were advertised for sale from right here in the classifieds that deserved restoration/preservation.
    I've always loved the lines of the Z and when it came to a project car I wasn't going to do another Corvette or Camaro or Cuda or Mustang--all of my friends have them and they are wonderful, beautiful, powerful cars from my childhood--they are just not for me. I remembered the Z from my early college days and it filled the bill completely. Classic lines and surprisingly strong performance from such a simple no frills package. I contend that they are still the most inexpensive (not cheap) true sports car of all time to restore and I love 'em enough to take on 2 and try to do justice to their heritage.

siteunseen---
    I'd still keep the flashlights around if I were you. These dome lights are bright enough to attract moths and millers but that's about it---not exactly high intensity if you know what I mean---

O.K.---end of ramble---

Jim D.
    "Zup"

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

The dome light is greatly improved with a 9 or 12 LED festoon bulb.
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Blue's collection of tech tips - A great place to look for answers
    XenonS30 -The cheap source for FSMs
    Georgia Z Club
    Fiddling with Z Cars - Z car tips & tricks and pictures of my car-loving life.
    Steve's CARtography - Just car pictures.

Member ID
    CZCC-8151

Hey Steve--
    I have wondered if there was real light output to be gained from the LED bulbs---I have always thought of them in terms of longevity not output.
    Is the festoon bulb available from MSA or is it an E-Bay item??

Jim D.
    "Zup"

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

I bought a couple from SuperbrightLEDs and some from eBay.
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Georgia Z Club

Boat Anchor Repairman Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-24608

I bought from superbright as well. My first try was one of these in cool white. Fit easy, but it was harsh and could stand to be brighter:

Second (and final) try was one of these in warm white. Didn't fit that easy though. I had to grind a little off the connector clip fingers in the lamp housing to get it to fit between the fingers, but it's a once and done job, I've very happy with the outcome. Brighter and not harsh:

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Awesome find Steve and Captain!
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

I can't remember how many LEDs are in the last batch I bought. I've been so bad lately about buying parts and burying them someplace in the house. Who knew that I had squirrel genes? At least I'm not hopping out in front of cars.
    Last edited by SteveJ; 09-29-2014 at 07:13 AM.
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Georgia Z Club

Boat Anchor Repairman Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-24608

Haha! I'm with you on that. I sometimes buy stuff when the situation is convenient and then pack it away in a box... "Good, got the part, Now I'll get to installing it when I get a chance." And then open the box a year later and it's like a birthday present because I didn't even remember I had it! Squirrels!

On edit - Took some pics of my festoon (does that sound clownishly dirty?). If you look closely, you can see what I had to do to the bulb clips to get the larger festoon to fit. I used a carbide burr on a dremel. Don't get tiny brass slivers stuck in your fingers (or eyes):

And even though you can't tell much because there's nothing else to compare it to, here's the obligatory "ON" pic:
    Last edited by Captain Obvious; 09-29-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Thread Information