Thread: "Weld Thru Primer"

Member ID
    CZCC-7418

Default "Weld Thru Primer"

OK quick question, someone told me that Eastwood rust encapsulator would work well as a weld thru primer. I know you can't have 100% non-rust after welding anything, but will this work or do I have to buy the "Weld Thru" stuff? Any ideas??
    Tom Moore
    73 240Z mfg 12/72
    DGV's, ZX dist 5spd

Member ID
    CZCC-4602

Weld thru primer has a high zinc content so that it is conductive, all exposed weld thru primer should be removed after the weld before priming with your normal primer. If you buy it get the brush on kind, spray cans seem to clog easy and if they set for a while won't spray at all, at least in my experiance.

IMHO if you can get to both sides of the weld, just weld it and be sure to prep and finish both sides. If not anything is probably better than nothing...

And to answer your question, never used the Eastwood stuff so I can't say, I'd shoot them an email and ask, they've always have been real responcive to my inquires.
    Lance

73 240Z, tripple webbers, 5 speed, 4 wheel disk, Einbach springs
    98 BMW 540i/6

Member ID
    CZCC-5121

It doesn't look weld thru. The weld thru stuff is basically just zinc, so it's shiny like metal. That looks closer to a rust converting primer like a Zero Rust or a POR-15.

Member ID
    CZCC-8422

I know from experiance that you can weld thru almost anything my biggest concern would be if it was made to be welded thru, if not it might release fumes that arn't very healthy

I would stick with the stuff that was made to be welded thru. I could weld thru galvinized coating all day long if I wouldn't pass out from the fumes.
    73 240Z
    78 CB750F

Thread Information