Thread: Badges Help

Member ID
    CZCC-12927

Default Badges Help

Previous owner of my '71 Z removed the deck lid badges. I now have replacements, but when they painted the car, they covered the holes. From the underside, I can see that some of the barrel clips are still in position, just bondoed over to cover the hole. My fear is that if I try to re-drill these holes, the bondo and paint will chip out and make a bad place larger than the badge will cover. Even using a very small pilot drill bit could result in the patch chipping I'm afraid. If I purposely move over about 1/4 inch on all holes, would that be a terrible afront to the purist? I also can only see about three of these clips, so locating where to drill is another challenge. How would you suggest I proceed? Also, what size hole needs to be drilled to properly fit the new barrel clips? Thanks for the PM relies.

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

My preference would be to put the emblems in the proper position. If the metal is good and the Bondo is just there to fill the holes I'd definitely just get rid of the Bondo itself and not put any new holes in the metal. I'd start with a really small drill bit from the bottom and then carefully enlarge the hole from the top. Stop enlarging when you hit metal. Once you've got enough holes drilled you can figure out where the others go based on your new emblems.
    -Mike
    Add your Z to my online spreadsheet registry

Member ID
    CZCC-12927

Thanks Mike. That was my thought as well but then I had visions of paint cracking and other irreparables so I thought I would get some more ideas. Thanks again.

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Quote Originally Posted by WW2Winger View Post
    Previous owner of my '71 Z removed the deck lid badges. I now have replacements, but when they painted the car, they covered the holes. From the underside, I can see that some of the barrel clips are still in position, just bondoed over to cover the hole. My fear is that if I try to re-drill these holes, the bondo and paint will chip out and make a bad place larger than the badge will cover. Even using a very small pilot drill bit could result in the patch chipping I'm afraid. If I purposely move over about 1/4 inch on all holes, would that be a terrible afront to the purist? I also can only see about three of these clips, so locating where to drill is another challenge. How would you suggest I proceed? Also, what size hole needs to be drilled to properly fit the new barrel clips? Thanks for the PM relies.
    I had a similar issue on my car. I used a very sharp pick with a right angle on it. Removed the inner panel from the hatch and very carefully scratched a tiny hole through the paint and bondo from underneith. Once I had a pilot hole in the correct place, it was easier to enlarge the whole to the correct size from the top.

Hope this helps,

Marty

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

And when you drill from the top, use Finger Drill Bits. These are commonly used in model making when you want to drill a hole very slowly.

E

Member ID
    CZCC-5718

Default another option

double sided sticky tape or glue. you'd have to break of the studs though.
    to be or not to be- shakespeare
    do be do be do- sinatra
    vehicles owned
    72 240z
    2009 honda civic exl
    1973 triumph tr6
    wife's
    2002 vw jetta
    68 390 mustang coup

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

You can also use a low adhesive tape, such as painters tape, on the outside surface of the hatch and this would help prevent the paint from chipping as you drill.

Member ID
    CZCC-7517

Quote Originally Posted by moonpup View Post
    You can also use a low adhesive tape, such as painters tape, on the outside surface of the hatch and this would help prevent the paint from chipping as you drill.
    similar to an old woodworking tip of backing up the good piece of wood with a piece of scrap to prevent tearout of a drilled hole.
    Bart

5/71 240z, HLS30-31306, mostly stock, ZTherapy SU's, Pertronix, Eibach ProKit, KYB, Poly bushings, 60 amp alternator w/Dave's plug bypass, headlight and parking light harness upgrades.

Member ID
    CZCC-12927

Thanks everyone for their advice. I now declare victory !! The badges are on!!! Since it is impossible to drill from the underside, no room, I had to do exactly as Marty suggested. It was tedious, but I finally picked enough body puddy from the back side to break through to the outside and give me a spot to begin drilling. Worked great and is in the original holes.
    I have been reading this forum for quite a while and this is my first post. Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Thread Information