Thread: Source for Headlight Retaining Ring

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Default Source for Headlight Retaining Ring

Mine don't look too nice, and are dinged, scratched & a little rusty. I would like to replace the chrome retaining rings, but they aren't in any of my catalogs. I believe a Z uses 7-inch round lamps? Where can you get the retaining rings for them?

thxZ
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 08-30-2007 at 02:32 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

It see,s odd that you suggest getting this part that is common to most all 7-inch headlamps, from a specialty provider?
    Drive Responsibly.

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

Quote Originally Posted by TomoHawk View Post
    It see,s odd that you suggest getting this part that is common to most all 7-inch headlamps, from a specialty provider?
    Z-Specialties isn't a specialty company, they just sell Datsun Z parts in the pnw and work on them and thought I'd post a couple links for you to compare compare prices from.

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

You ask for help in sourcing a part and when someone helps, you question them?????? Scheeeesh!

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

What is so special about the chrome headlamp retaining rings that MSA sells them?
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

OK, moonpup, you spend $100 on little chrome things for two headlights and send them to me, and I'll be extremely satisfied. I'll even send you a Christmas card.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

MSA has always been the most expensive source for Z parts, and I only buy from there if I can't find something from other sources. Also, the service guy thinks that the chrome ring should be available at more common places and for much less than $20 reach.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-7009

If you're not willing to pay the market price, you might be pleased with the work some .0000 steel wool and some Flitz or Autosol will do for them.
    Steve

HLS30-81167 restored, top to bottom.
    2001 M roadster Gehen sie Schneller!
    1987 SpecE30 Trackster...welcome home!
    Making up for owning a minivan...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/srcartermd

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I wouldn't assume that all 7" retaining rings are the same. The 7" diameter is standard, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that the spacing of the three mounting tabs is not. Do your research and pay your price. I'd far rather pay a little extra for a factory part that I know will fit.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

moonpoop, why are you surprised ? This has always been his thing. Ask a question the disagree with the answer and debate on and on and on. Pull up any of his threads that he has started from the past and you will see what I mean. Not much substance , just allot of debate. Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

So Tommy, did you even BOTHER to check the "specialty" shops you derided? One sells them for $17.92 ea. and the other for $19.95 ea..

...the service guy thinks that the chrome ring should be available at more common places and for much less than $20 reach.
    He's right, but only if you check the links you're given.

OK, moonpup, you spend $100 on little chrome things for two headlights and send them to me, and I'll be extremely satisfied. I'll even send you a Christmas card.
    Can I take you up on that offer? Heck, you don't even need to send me a card at all or ever, just pay me the $100 and I'll send you a pair for your car PDQ.

Sheeesh, we know you like to argue on and on over asking for and receiving advice, and then belittling those that help you, but even for you this is a new low in idiocy.

Got your AFDB on? (Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie)
    E

Member ID
    CZCC-1585

This is where a helmet is needed to protect one from being beaten over the head.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Unlike most of you other obvious milionaires, I do not go out and spend money hand-over-foot on the first thing people tell you to buy. Especially when somebody suggests you go buy something that isn't what you want.

And I dd look around. Z- catalogs, websites, even the local foreign auto parts boneyard.
    Drive Responsibly.

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I bought mine about three years ago at the dealer. 26023-89910 is the part number they should still be available. As I recall, the were about 15 bucks apiece. Try: http://www.nissanparts.cc/ Call them with the part number and they can tell you the status.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Unlike most of you other obvious milionaires, I do not go out and spend money hand-over-foot on the first thing people tell you to buy. Especially when somebody suggests you go buy something that isn't what you want.

And I dd look around. Z- catalogs, websites, even the local foreign auto parts boneyard.
    Okay then. What would be wrong with just reading the responses and using what you can use and disregarding what you can't?
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Stephen,

If you just ignore reponses, or not discuss anything, then people who are researching this same thing will be at a loss. No discussion is complete without opinions from both sides.

I haven't been able to inquire at the dealer yet, but I usually expect them to charge a little more. Sometimes you get lucky and you can get a good deal. the $15 you mention is a little better than MSA, but I originally expected to pay about $10 or less, each for new ones, or about $5 or less for boneyard parts.

thx
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01 View Post
    Okay then. What would be wrong with just reading the responses and using what you can use and disregarding what you can't?
    Let's see Tommy, the SUBJECT of your thread is "Source for HEADLIGHT RETAINING RING" (emphasis mine).

You were given two links to check.

The name for the part at site number one, that is Z Specialties:
    "Headlight Ring, 70-78 240Z-260Z-280Z"
    At site number two, that is MSA the name is:
    "Headlight Retaining Ring '70-78"

Seems to me that Austen did a fine job of finding you two links and quickly too. He deserves the Boy Scout award for having done a good deed.

You on the other hand, don't even bother to go and check them out. Instead you question the use of a "specialty" shop, when that's just the shop' name. Then you question why MSA is involved and decide to give them a bad plug too.

The price at BOTH of those links is under $20 as you stated your shop guy mentioned. Was it because it wasn't at a "common place" that you decided to ... once again ... poo-pooh all the help you've received?

If you can get up off your lazy behind and find them cheaper....then say and DO so. If on the other hand you expect others to find them for you, then don't belittle them when they DO help you. Otherwise, expect responses such as this.

Raise both arms, cross them over your head, grab your ears and pull up hard, maybe then you'll pull your head out of your .......

Make sure the edges of your AFDB are smoothed out though.

E

Member ID
    CZCC-1585

And I did look around. Z- catalogs, websites, even the local foreign auto parts boneyard.
    OK so you don't have any yet, by the time you drive all over with gas prices at $$$ would it have been cheaper in the long run just to spend the $$$ and buy what you know fits?

Its not a matter of being made of money, its a matter of common sense and logic.

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

...If you just ignore reponses, or not discuss anything, then people who are researching this same thing will be at a loss. No discussion is complete without opinions from both sides.
    In your case, no discussion is EVER complete. You'll change your opinion half-way through to "fully discuss" all the possible points that you can possibly hallucinate and not make sense at the beginning, middle or end of the "discussion".

You've stated it before, all you wish to do is argue the point.

E

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01 View Post
    I bought mine about three years ago at the dealer. 26023-89910 is the part number they should still be available. As I recall, the were about 15 bucks apiece. Try: http://www.nissanparts.cc/ Call them with the part number and they can tell you the status.
    You don't even have to call them; you can enter the part number on their web page and get immediate feedback regarding the status of the part:

http://www.nissanparts.cc/cart/?pn=26023-89910
    -Mike
    Add your Z to my online spreadsheet registry

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Default Nissanparts.cc

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    You don't even have to call them; you can enter the part number on their web page and get immediate feedback regarding the status of the part:

http://www.nissanparts.cc/cart/?pn=26023-89910
    The only problem is the status on the website is usually wrong. I've tried to order numerous things from them that they show as "ships in 4-10 days" that is actually no longer available.

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    I've tried to order numerous things from them that they show as "ships in 4-10 days" that is actually no longer available.
    Ah, good point. Hopefully if you call them as Stephen suggested they'll have more accurate information. I've seen too many cases where the person on the phone is just reading to you off of the same web page that you're looking at.
    -Mike
    Add your Z to my online spreadsheet registry

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

That's why I suggested calling. I have purchased from them many times over the last few years. I always check the availability first. I speak with Russell Moore, the Internet parts manager or Lisa Alexander the Internet director, no one else. They both will let you know whether a part is available or not and even how many they have in stock or have access to. And their prices are always lower than msrp. I bought things from them the some eBay seller claim are nla. All you need it part numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomohawk
    Stephen,

If you just ignore reponses, or not discuss anything, then people who are researching this same thing will be at a loss. No discussion is complete without opinions from both sides.
    We're talking about a set of headlight rings here. Not carbureators, fuel injectors, suspension components or anything of that type of nature. How much research, discussion, debate, argument, etc. should that require? If you need them, just go get them by whatever means you deem proper for you, since you don't seem to impressed with much of what has been offered here. You seem to have an idea of how much you're willing to spend on them. I offered a suggestion. That's all. I wasn't looking for a discussion. When I decided I needed a new set, I didn't come here to bounce ideas off of the members of this site in order to help me make a decision. I did my research, and I went out and got them.
    Last edited by sblake01; 08-30-2007 at 08:38 PM.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Oh, and Nissan parts.cc sells them for $13.65 ea. plus shipping. List price is $17.92 ea. so you won't find new ones for 'about $10 or less, each'. Now, I am SO done with this!
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

Quote Originally Posted by beandip View Post
    moonpoop, why are you surprised ? This has always been his thing. Ask a question the disagree with the answer and debate on and on and on. Pull up any of his threads that he has started from the past and you will see what I mean. Not much substance , just allot of debate. Gary
    I WISH TO APALIGISE , to moonpup. I misspelled his name in this posting . It was unintentional and was not meant as a flame. Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

Thanks Gary....no harm, no foul.

Member ID
    CZCC-10665

Quote Originally Posted by beandip View Post
    I WISH TO APALIGISE , to moonpup. I misspelled his name in this posting . It was unintentional and was not meant as a flame. Gary
    But it did add a little levity...to the string even though it was unintentional. I never thought you could get two pages of discussion on "Headlight Retaining Rings" as a texter would say OMG. I love this board. Happy Labor Day to all.....
    Last edited by Montezuma; 08-31-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Thread Information