Thread: Packing tape on paint

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

Default Packing tape on paint

Someone (and yes, I know who) thought it would be cute to leave me a note that said "drive me" on the door of my Z under the car cover with packing tape to attach it. Now, I have packing tape VERY adhered to the paint on my passenger door. I tried adhesive remover and that got some of it but I still have about 3 square inches that just will not come off...

How about a heat gun? I am at a loss. What do you guys think?
    Rob
    2000 BMW R1100 RT-SE (for sale)
    1999 Toyota 4Runner Supercharged
    1975 Porsche 914 stroker motor autoX car
    1973 Datsun 240Z Restoration project. New paint in original white. E31 head on 2.4 block. Nissan Motorsports header. R200 with Nissan motorsports LSD.

Member ID
    CZCC-17702

I'd go to the heat gun as a very last resort. Try something called "Goof Off". I've been impressed with it before. I've found it at the local ACE hardware, I'd guess Wally World and the like as well. Ain't it cool to have friends? That's why (at least one reason) I don't have any............

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Try a little WD40 on a rag. I've used that method to remove the left over adhesive after removing an emblem, tree sap, etc. Doesn't hurt the paint.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

OUCH!

Have you tried some Mineral Spirits? Denatured Alcohol? Goof-off? Tar and Grease remover?

All of those will probably remove any wax or protective finish, but they are better than adhesive.

DON'T use a heat gun. You may literally "burn" in the adhesive's solvent into your paint.

FWIW
    E

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

There is no wax on the paint at all... I painted it a year or so back and I have been reassembling as I get the new interior stuff. That way the paint can fully cure.

Outside, with the exception of the tape it looks like a new car. Inside, not so much... I have a new dash with new instruments, new seat covers, new carpet, new vinyl interior plastic, new everything except door panels which I will get from MSA or CDM.
    Rob
    1973 Datsun 240Z Restoration project. New paint in original white. E31 head on 2.4 block. Nissan Motorsports header. R200 with Nissan motorsports LSD.

Member ID
    CZCC-18904

I agree, try the WD40, and give it a little soak time. I use it for tree sap all the time. I take a blue shop towel off the roll, spray some on the towel, then spray a little directly on the sap. I dab a little a let it sit a minute. I start scrubbing with the blue towel. It takes some time but I have cleaned off some messy, gooey tree sap this way. (I know you're working with adhesive but I thought I'd tell you how I did it with sap)

My experience with Tar and Sap remover is that it removed more paint than sap. I still have a full bottle of it because of this problem.

Be careful with Goof off, it WILL take off paint. Goo Gone will too but to a lesser degree.
    Last edited by 70 Cam Guy; 10-08-2009 at 11:29 PM.
    -Andy
    1973 HLS30-166105
    RB20DET swap, HKS GT2530 turbo, HKS Actuator, Hallman MBC, ebay intake manifold, ebay dump pipe, straight pipe, 14 psi boost

240Z Elec. Upgrade guy Zs-ondabrain's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4921

And after you get it all off and clean, smack your "Friend"? upside the back of his/her head for all of us.

My brother thought it would be funny to use box tape to tape some bunny ears and a cotton tail on my 510 during easter. He thought it was hilarious until he had to slowly peel it all off and goo-gone everything, then buff the spot out, all while I was sitting in a lawn chair with a small baseball bat.

Younger brothers, Why mom? Why?
    Dave
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 10-09-2009 at 12:28 AM.
    Rate my Z at Car Domain.com
    My 70' 240Z, Daily Driver

My Parking Light and Headlight Upgrade Harness's at MotorSport Auto
    HLH - PLH - SCP - ZXP's at MSA *They accept PayPal!!*
    Headlight Upgrade Harness info here at ClassicZCar Club
    HLH info at CZCC Do a search for info on the other upgrades I offer.

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

Quote Originally Posted by Zs-ondabrain View Post
    Younger brothers, Why mom? Why?
    Simple. Payback...
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

Tried a little WD-40 this morning and it appeared to work. I will get after it with a vengence on Monday... My next free moment...
    Rob

Member ID
    CZCC-17507

Default Contractor's Solvent

I use Contractor's Solvent to remove sticky stuff from anything. I've even used it to remove black tar from my white leather seats! It took it right off, and didn't hurt the seats. The only place I've found it locally is at Ace Hardware. Home Depot didn't have it.

Matt

Member ID
    CZCC-14427
    Denmark - in front of my coffee, behind the laptop

Nice to know that WD40 actually is good for something.

You couls also try such a simple thing as oil, many price stickers can be removed with sun flower oil, or similar.

Chris
    -73 240Z HLS30-171039
    -66 Roadster SPL311-05204

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Quote Originally Posted by 70 Cam Guy View Post
    I agree, try the WD40, and give it a little soak time. I use it for tree sap all the time. I take a blue shop towel off the roll, spray some on the towel, then spray a little directly on the sap. I dab a little a let it sit a minute. I start scrubbing with the blue towel. It takes some time but I have cleaned off some messy, gooey tree sap this way. (I know you're working with adhesive but I thought I'd tell you how I did it with sap)

My experience with Tar and Sap remover is that it removed more paint than sap. I still have a full bottle of it because of this problem.

Be careful with Goof off, it WILL take off paint. Goo Gone will too but to a lesser degree.
    From what you post, you may have the original ALKYD ENAMEL paint which has started to chalk up.

That you are "removing paint", is more than likely oxidized paint from the top layers that is being removed by your rubbing and yes, exacerbated by the Goof Off, Goo Gone, and Tar and Sap remover. If you were to use a "restorative" wax product, you'd find the same results but you would likely at least have some shine left.

Just supposing, you might also be dealing with old oxidized Lacquer or one of the other enamel configurations.

E

Member ID
    CZCC-18904

Quote Originally Posted by EScanlon View Post
    From what you post, you may have the original ALKYD ENAMEL paint which has started to chalk up.

That you are "removing paint", is more than likely oxidized paint from the top layers that is being removed by your rubbing and yes, exacerbated by the Goof Off, Goo Gone, and Tar and Sap remover. If you were to use a "restorative" wax product, you'd find the same results but you would likely at least have some shine left.

Just supposing, you might also be dealing with old oxidized Lacquer or one of the other enamel configurations.

E
    Thanks, E for the input. I have actually never used the products I mentioned on my Z except for the wd40. The sap remover I tried on my friend's 91 Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep is white, and the blue towel soon turned white. The sap was still on the hood

My other friends were removing pinstriping from their cars and the Goof off and Goo Gone were removing the black and red paint from their cars. We found the 3M wheels for adhesive and pinstriping and made good use of those.

I'm not well versed on paint past a basic understanding of a single stage paint job and a base/clear style paint job. Here is CA, I understand everything is going water based

-Andy
    1973 HLS30-166105
    RB20DET swap, HKS GT2530 turbo, HKS Actuator, Hallman MBC, ebay intake manifold, ebay dump pipe, straight pipe, 14 psi boost

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I believe that would be water bourne not water based. No, I'm no paint expert either. I couldn't give you anything other than a 'wiki' definition of what that means.
    Last edited by sblake01; 10-10-2009 at 04:47 AM.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

I use mineral spirits for a lot of things. The stuff is great for removing goo, road tar, overspray (ever get oversprayed, through no fault of your own?), and even adhesive from urethane-based paints. I wouldn't use it on any non-polymer paint, though.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Thread Information