Thread: Datsun Scrapyard In Southern California? 1st Z needs a roof!

Member ID
    CZCC-23487

Default Datsun Scrapyard In Southern California? 1st Z needs a roof!

Hello guys,
    Im new here and i bought my first car yesterday (first ever, not first Z)
    Its a 73 Datsun 240z, paid 950$ for it and it runs extremely well and drives even better. Original everything, One owner, i think i did real good.
    The only problem is that its got a sunroof... i thought it would be cool at first... than realized that after i put a LS1/LS2 in it, Im not gonna want it.

Anyway, i need a donor roof for it... and id like to get it on the cheap. So im wondering if anyone knows of a junkyard that has a few datsuns laying around, that i could cut a roof off of.

Im near long beach, anywhere within a 75 mile radius is where im willing to go.

Thanks for the help guys.

Member ID
    CZCC-17702

Congrats on the new car! Drive it for at least 6 months before tearing into it for an engine swap. If this is your first car, a motor swap of that magnitude is a BIG deal. Do a ton of home work and be sure you have 10 grand in cash and a year of downtime ready to complete the project or you will simply just destroy the car and have nothing in the end. Right now, the sunroof is the least of your concerns, although you could begin collecting parts. (your project will take a lot of parts). You don't mention how much mechanical or body skills you might have, but if you have to have someone else do the bulk of the wor kand don't have nearly unlimited resources, you will be posting an unfinished project in the want ads. Don't mean to discourage you, just telling it like it really is.

The guys and gals on this site are a great resource and more traditional (some even purists) You might find more support (and information) for your project at hybridz.com.

Best of luck! Post a completed picture asap!

As for the roof skin, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a donor. Heck, I have two here in Idaho but freight would eat you alive.

72 240Z HLS30 49052 110 Persimmons/white stick
    72 240Z HLS30 70087 110 Persimmons/white auto 43K
    77 280Z HLS30 400336
    77 280Z Turbo HLS30 369869
    57 Volvo 444K
    57 IHS120
    85 500 SEC

Member ID
    CZCC-23487

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoKidd View Post
    Congrats on the new car! Drive it for at least 6 months before tearing into it for an engine swap. If this is your first car, a motor swap of that magnitude is a BIG deal. Do a ton of home work and be sure you have 10 grand in cash and a year of downtime ready to complete the project or you will simply just destroy the car and have nothing in the end. Right now, the sunroof is the least of your concerns, although you could begin collecting parts. (your project will take a lot of parts). You don't mention how much mechanical or body skills you might have, but if you have to have someone else do the bulk of the wor kand don't have nearly unlimited resources, you will be posting an unfinished project in the want ads. Don't mean to discourage you, just telling it like it really is.

The guys and gals on this site are a great resource and more traditional (some even purists) You might find more support (and information) for your project at hybridz.com.

Best of luck! Post a completed picture asap!

As for the roof skin, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a donor. Heck, I have two here in Idaho but freight would eat you alive.

Hey!, thanks for the response.
    I should have rephrased it, i already drive an 05 mustang as a every day driver, But i won that car in a sweepstakes so i dont count it as "Buying my first car"
    I bought this car as a project car, Its purely for my dream car dream. The fact that its running is just a plus for me, because now i can take it down the street when i want. My father has been working on cars all his life, ive been working on them for awhile as well so everything we do we will do ourselves, with the roof re-skin as an exception. Im planning on getting all the parts first before touching the car in any major way. I work full time and live at home so money isn't a problem for me. i appreciate the honestly, i know how huge this project is, im just trying to get a head start.
    Last edited by DjHoon90; 01-28-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

A re-skinned roof and a V8 swap? Isn't the roof one of the areas that flexes under power/torque? First step would (should) be to get the car in safe driving condition and then evaluate the rust (there will be rust!) and see if you have something there that could be used for a V8 swap (with the proper setup/fabrication/reinforcement).
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-23487

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01 View Post
    A re-skinned roof and a V8 swap? Isn't the roof one of the areas that flexes under power/torque? First step would (should) be to get the car in safe driving condition and then evaluate the rust (there will be rust!) and see if you have something there that could be used for a V8 swap (with the proper setup/fabrication/reinforcement).
    Well of course im not gonna throw a v8 in a datsun with no structural changes. I plan on reinforcing the sub frame as well as adding a rollcage.
    Right now the plan is as follows

Strip car, repair body, reinforce/rollcage, than put it all back together.
    Stockpile parts needed for the v8 transplant, than after i have everything i need, throw it all in.

Member ID
    CZCC-19034

Quote Originally Posted by DjHoon90 View Post
    Hello guys,
    Im new here and i bought my first car yesterday (first ever, not first Z)
    Its a 73 Datsun 240z, paid 950$ for it and it runs extremely well and drives even better. Original everything, One owner, i think i did real good.
    The only problem is that its got a sunroof... i thought it would be cool at first... than realized that after i put a LS1/LS2 in it, Im not gonna want it.

Anyway, i need a donor roof for it... and id like to get it on the cheap. So im wondering if anyone knows of a junkyard that has a few datsuns laying around, that i could cut a roof off of.

Im near long beach, anywhere within a 75 mile radius is where im willing to go.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Welcome to da club! you may want to check a couple of the pick up parts in the Inlad Empire, I live in Pomona, and have quite a few wrecking yards withing a 20 mile radius, not specialized in Z's per say, but i have been able to score a few parts for my Z, check out Pick up Part in Fontana, and Ecology auto Wrecking in Fontana as well! good luck!

Member ID
    CZCC-7312

Quote Originally Posted by DjHoon90 View Post
    Well of course im not gonna throw a v8 in a datsun with no structural changes. I plan on reinforcing the sub frame as well as adding a rollcage.
    Right now the plan is as follows

Strip car, repair body, reinforce/rollcage, than put it all back together.
    Stockpile parts needed for the v8 transplant, than after i have everything i need, throw it all in.
    I think that a Nissan V8 would be very interesting rather than an American one. A big Q Series V8 from an Infinity would be sweet, it would look amazing under the hood with all of the Nissan Branding, etc...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q45 Engine.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	40376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z with Q45 Engine.jpg 
Views:	895 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	40377  
    Last edited by ZCurves; 01-28-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Andrew (ZCurves)
    1978 Coupe - HLS30-440105
    Spring, Texas USA

pro deo et patria
    My Albumz

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Guys, it's not necessary to quote the prior message every time you choose to respond. Quote it if there's something you want to emphasize, or address specifically, but quoting to enter a reply.... try the Quick Reply at the bottom of the page, or the Post Reply button.

E

Member ID
    CZCC-11460

You can check the Pick your parts and the Ecology off PCH in North Long Beach. They sometimes have a 260 or 280 there. Once in a while a 240 will pop up
    HLS30-143697 1973 110 ORANGE
    Period correct performance restoration
    Sanyo Sport kit induction, Datsun Comp exhaust. Datsun Comp internals. "C" grind cam
    Mallory DP ignition W/ Pertronix kit. Koni struts, Koni RallySport springs. Euro rear sway bar
    Who said they don't build em like they use to.

350Z
    Member ID
    CZCC-6975

Thumbs up

If you haven't already done so, go to the HybridZ website which is devoted to doing all kinds of v8 swaps into the 240Z. Also go to the Jags That Run (JTR) website and buy the appropriate manual for the V8 swap you are doing. Read the JTR manual several times.

There are three companies that make install kits: JTR, Motor Sports Auto (MSA) and John's Cars. Each has pros and cons that have to be considered.

With a V8 you will need to consider upgrading the brakes and suspension.

There are many brake and suspension swaps available. The HybridZ website brake section has a comprehensive brake swap section that you should look at if you plan do do any modifications to the brakes. MSA and Arizona Z Cars both sell brake upgrade kits. There is a lot of good information on brake systems here on Classic Z.

Do a lot of research and planning before you take the car apart. Make a detailed parts list with cost for each part you will need. This will force you to plan the build and give a realistic cost estimate for the build. I spent four months developing a build plan and buying parts for my 240Z V8 swap. The swap took eight months and went smoothly. That was two years ago and I have fun, safe and reliable daily driver.

As you modify the car the changes will have a domino effect which can bite you later. Planning will help you build a reliable car that is fun to drive and not be a death trap.

At HybridZ be sure to read all of the rules before you post questions and use the search function.

Member ID
    CZCC-23487

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    If you haven't already done so, go to the HybridZ website which is devoted to doing all kinds of v8 swaps into the 240Z. Also go to the Jags That Run (JTR) website and buy the appropriate manual for the V8 swap you are doing. Read the JTR manual several times.

There are three companies that make install kits: JTR, Motor Sports Auto (MSA) and John's Cars. Each has pros and cons that have to be considered.

With a V8 you will need to consider upgrading the brakes and suspension.

There are many brake and suspension swaps available. The HybridZ website brake section has a comprehensive brake swap section that you should look at if you plan do do any modifications to the brakes. MSA and Arizona Z Cars both sell brake upgrade kits. There is a lot of good information on brake systems here on Classic Z.

Do a lot of research and planning before you take the car apart. Make a detailed parts list with cost for each part you will need. This will force you to plan the build and give a realistic cost estimate for the build. I spent four months developing a build plan and buying parts for my 240Z V8 swap. The swap took eight months and went smoothly. That was two years ago and I have fun, safe and reliable daily driver.

As you modify the car the changes will have a domino effect which can bite you later. Planning will help you build a reliable car that is fun to drive and not be a death trap.

At HybridZ be sure to read all of the rules before you post questions and use the search function.
    GREAT info... thanks, i really appreciate it.

Member ID
    CZCC-19498
    308 Palmetto Avenue Melbourne Florida 32901

The Infinty swap does look sweet but I'm not sure the cost would be justified. The STR8 6 can be modified for more than enough power. But that's just my humble opinion. Check Redondo Beach Z World they might have a roof for you. I bought the car in my AVATAR from them in 1994. Good Luck.
    "HAPPINESS"....isn't just around the corner......"HAPPINESS"....is the CORNER"

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

esmit208, I could be mistaken but I could have sworn that I heard someone say that shop is closed.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-22611

Quote Originally Posted by esmit208 View Post
    The STR8 6 can be modified for more than enough power.
    Yup... I know we're not here to criticize the choice of engine but I've always been against V8 swaps in Z's... I think it's just a cheap tactic (and I don't mean inexpensive, either ) to gain power the "fast and easy" way. Not only it looks and sounds inapropriate in a Z (my opinion) but it also means a lot more stress on the body.

I love the Inline 6: I think it sounds great, gives decent power, has good torque AND it's a perfectly balanced engine! It just FEELS RIGHT. If you can afford to do a V8 conversion, why not use that cash and skills to Make the most out of your L6?

Just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by Evil Turkey; 01-31-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-24475

hi there if you are still looking for a roof and you are willin to drive to chulavista theres at least 1 240z 2 260z 2 280z in ecology junk yard i pulled out the interior n motor found my self e31 motor no carbs with a 5 speed . just letting you know they still have them .

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

He hasn't been here since April.......
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Thread Information