Thread: Chalking bumper rubbers

Member ID
    CZCC-2082

Default Chalking bumper rubbers

I'm sure this is a common problem but what do you do about old bumper rubber, short of replacing it, that is breaking down and chalking. I hate getting that black stripe on me when ever I brush against them.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Member ID
    CZCC-3533

That is about the only choice that you have, either live with the chalk, replace them, or remove them. I have 2 in my garage and I get it from BOTH sides whernever I exit the house from the garage, but at least I match.
    Second place is the first loser.

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

I've tried dozens of products over the years to use on old black bumper rubber.

The ONLY product that I found that would stop that chalking, was Clear Guard by Turtle Wax. Unfortunately, they no longer manufacture it. Sadly, this was also the best vinyl dash protectant. The problem with it, was that it did NOT require you to put a coat on EVERY week. My dash on my Acura has been 4-5 months since I applied it and it still looks good. No doubt they took it off the market due to it's long durability.

The only other method I've found, is to get a heavy duty scrub brush and scrub the heck out of them, then apply the best vinyl and rubber protectant you can find. You'll have to try various before you discover the one that won't make them shine and will also slow down the decomposition of the rubber.

The cause of this is that rubber tends to decompose after time, and even more so when exposed to the sun. Add to that that the rubber isn't being flexed, and that accelerates it even more.

HTH
    Enrique

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Default Rubber restoration 101

I have been doing a little research on this subject and buy a bunch of stuff from http://www.carcareonline.com/

EScanlon makes a good point about the rubber flexing. Rubber needs to flex or it will "dry rot". The chaulk you are talking about, Mark, is dry rot.

Turns out, silicon oil and formaldyhide are the two worst things you can put on rubber, or vinyl for that matter. Petrolium products will turn rubber to thick jelly. Most nationally advertised / marketed products contain at least silicon oil. Vinyl materials develop white spots because of silicon oil and rubber dries unevenly because of the stuff.

Go to this website - Car Care Specialties, Inc. - and read what this guy has to say. Do some web searches for "rubber restoration" and "vinyl restoration" and you will find similar discussions. A product called "Black Again" is very controversial and may be worth a try. Evidently, it is not the same formula as everyone loved years ago, but try 3M products, One Grand products, and Mequiar's products.

Take the rubber off. Clean it up real well with soap and water and soak it with something like "One Grand Exterior Rubber and Vinyl". While it is still dripping wet, put it in a ziplock bag and spray some more in the bag for good measure. Seal the bag up and let it sit for a week.

Let me know what you think.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-3832

Im gonna try some try rubber rejuventor from my shop, it swells the rubber and restores it with an oily finish, ill let ya know hwo it goes

Member ID
    CZCC-3312

Does anyone have firsthand experience with that 303 stuff?

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant
    -Andrew

03/72 240Z HLS30-70xxx - R.I.P. 2011/01/04

Member ID
    CZCC-2082

I've used 303 on my kayaks but not on rubber. I think I'll give it a try and see if it makes a difference.
    Thanks for all the great ideas!
    Mark

Member ID
    CZCC-4287

I never use those silicone products like Armour All they are not good for vinyl and rubber, plus they leave everything to shiny, slippery and greasy.
    I have used a product called Formula 2 made by PPC it will make your vinyl and rubber look BRAND NEW, and clean and condition it like nothing else I have seen. It's not greasy and it lasts a long time.
    First Z car - 72 240Z 52,850 miles

Member ID
    CZCC-4287

Forgot to say that I'll try it on my chaulked up bumper rubber one night this week.

Member ID
    CZCC-2082

Maybe Ill give it a try if I can find it around here!
    Thanks,
    Mark

Member ID
    CZCC-1580

Default Bumper Rubber

Speaking of bumper rubbers.

Does anyone know where to get new ones for a 73 240Z.

I tried removing them from the metal side pieces and broke off
    a couple of the little embedded bolts. Not to mention that they
    are pretty well scratched and scuffed.

How do you smooth out the scuffs?

Also, has anyone tried to replace the embedded bolts. Or any suggestions as to how to remount the rubber pieces without a few of the bolts.

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

I got mine from MSA. The new strips come with the bolts already embedded. The nuts that secure them are sold separately.
    -Mike
    Add your Z to my online spreadsheet registry

Member ID
    CZCC-4287

Well GOOD news, I sprayed on that Formula 2 a few times and let it soak in and then dry and I now have to rub hard to get even a tiny bit of black on me wheras before all I had to do was just barely touch it and it was on me all day! Get it if you can.

Never tried it before because I didn't have bumpers until a couple months ago and I won't put them on till I get my paint touched up.

Member ID
    CZCC-3622

Another option:

If you have rubber pieces that have mild surface dry rotting, you can actually use sandpaper to "restore" them. The sandpaper removes the "dead" rubber. I'd recommend starting with 240 grit, and then go to finer grades until you have the texture you want. I usually finish by rubbing with a rag soaked in acetone or lacquer thinner-- then 303 or other protectorant. Can be a lot of work, so keep that in mind vs. the option of new ones.

Also, I don't know if these are the ones you need, but I just put a pair on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2433006582

Of course, any rubber part you need is not available any longer, this may be a good option.

Garrett
    Garrett

Member ID
    CZCC-3832

I work at a graphics shop and found that Varn super rubber rejuvenator works very well. Its an oily solvent we use to remove crap from press blankets. Its oaks in,.leave it a while and when ya wipe ot off the rot and glaze come off as well.

Should be able to get it at any print supply house

Thread Information