Thread: Is this guy F**ING kidding????

Member ID
    CZCC-10851

Default Is this guy F**ING kidding????

Datsun 240Z Turn Signal Dimmer Switch 1972 1973 RARE | eBay

I thought the "free market" was supposed to keep prices reasonable...

Low Budget/High Value
    Member ID
    CZCC-20342

It's reddat. Well-known. He is karma for people who don't use internet search tools.

Funny that the ad only shows a picture of a drawing, not an actual part.

I'm pretty sure that he just buys parts from MSA, BlackDragon and the local parts stores and resells them. He may not even buy them until someone buys on eBay. Check out this $125 O'Reilly pump for $174.99. Used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-280z-...-/321254685937

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0401&ppt=C0025
    Last edited by Zed Head; 11-21-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    1976 280Z, with some minor modifications

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

I bought some parts from him and they were not even what was pictured Ihad to send pictures to eBay to get refunded. On my parts search on eBay it reads -reddat. I would not even give him the time of day

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

Turn signal switch from MSA is $499.

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

Quote Originally Posted by chaztg View Post
    Datsun 240Z Turn Signal Dimmer Switch 1972 1973 RARE | eBay

I thought the "free market" was supposed to keep prices reasonable...
    The free market will keep prices reasonable. It doesn't prevent outliers.
    Did eBay force you to buy it? I don't think so. Therefore, his pricing only captures the desperate & lazy.

Here's a tip. If someone like reddat is advertising something on eBay with a genuine Nissan box with a partly obscured part number, it's a neon sign saying you can probably buy it from a dealer. Buy the parts CD from this website, research the whole part number. Go to your local Nissan dealer with the part number or go online to http://www.nissanparts.cc, http://www.nismoparts.com or Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com. Both of those dealerships let you put in any part number. You can save a lot of money over the eBay pricing for a lot of NOS parts.
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Blue's collection of tech tips - A great place to look for answers
    XenonS30 -The cheap source for FSMs
    Georgia Z Club
    Fiddling with Z Cars - Z car tips & tricks and pictures of my car-loving life.
    Steve's CARtography - Just car pictures.

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Lol I bought a few things from him, but only small prices. That's insane.
    I see alot of Ebay sellers who ask insane prices... they must think there are people who will buy.

Lately I was looking for the rear interior strut caps ( 2 black ones ), and I found some add on Ebay ( not from reddat ), and he asked something like 120 dollars, after some more searching, I found the same for 25 dollars !
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

"NOS Rare" That thing is so rare he only has a photo of a clipping out of the datsun parts catalog
    For that price I would at least expect a photo of the real thing.

I have followed him on E-bay for some time. Some things are cheap and others not so. In the end your the buyer and its your full right to ignore it and look somewhere else.

Chas
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

Member ID
    CZCC-25394

ebay is buyer beware for sure. research or pay too much. i had a transaction with this particular seller where he claimed that a 240Z console was NOS, when what arrived was a new repro. no interest in making it right, and not even a real apology. my loss. in that case it was actual misrepresentation. this is just inflated silliness. sort of insulting... but not dishonest.
    Last edited by an_unusual_eye; 11-22-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    ~ rob.
    harrisburg, pa / raleigh, nc
    triangle z club

1974 260z (early) ~ 302 green/black (sold)
    1971 240z (late) ~ 901 silver/black (sold)
    1978 280z 2+2 ~ 611 burgundy/black (parted out)
    1971 240z (early) ~ 907 green/black (my long term mistress)

Member ID
    CZCC-24552

be very wary when you see a newer looking "nissan"
    parts box on ebay.
    i know there are ebay sellers out there that have a
    nissan box but put aftermarket parts in them.
    ive bought rubber items that don't last long and
    start falling apart very quickly.

Member ID
    CZCC-11611

I had an interesting experience with a seller on ebay this week. I found a retainer ring for a 280Z inner shift boot (doing a 5 spd conversion on one of my 240Z's) for about $32. Shipping was $14 something so I asked the question "will you be charging the $14 something for shipping or actual shipping charges?" The reply was "Thanks". The change to the listing was the price upped 14 something" with free shipping. Will I be buying it - no - so the search goes on.
    1971 240Z - HLS30-23305 2/71
    1971 240Z - HLS30-30855 5/71

Boat Anchor Repairman Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-24608

A few years ago ebay changed their charge scheme such that they take a percentage cut of the "total cost" of an item including both the sale price and the shipping charge. They instituted that change because sellers were charging exorbitant shipping charges to supplement profit on their items. Since ebay didn't take a cut of the shipping, any excess in unrealistic shipping charges went right into the sellers pocket.

But now that ebay considers shipping charges into the total selling price, it really doesn't matter anymore. You might see that $14 shipping charge on something that costs $2 to ship, and while it may turn you off a little, it's the exact same thing as what the seller did by providing free shipping and boosting the selling price by $14.

In other words, you just have to roll the shipping charge into the "total cost" and decide if the item is worth that to you or not. I think it's one of the better changes ebay made in the past few years. Of course, it's offset by bonehead changes, but at least I agree with that one.

Member ID
    CZCC-21454

He is probably trying to support his crack habit!

Member ID
    CZCC-15411
    Last edited by Lazeum; 11-23-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    Matt - 72' 240z

Member ID
    CZCC-28265

At the time this item was posted his eBay 'Seller Rating' was 98.9%. Obviously, something is out of whack!!
    Original Registration and Warranty Card

Original owner of: HLS3018859 (Jan./71) ZCOOR Member # 178

'Storms Never Last'

Member ID
    CZCC-27817

Free market means the seller is free to ask whatever he wants and the buyer is free to offer whatever he is willing to pay. If the two numbers overlap, a deal occurs. Otherwise everyone waits for someone else to come along.

Negotiation starting points may rarely overlap except for commodities where products are uniform and markets exist with many buyers and many sellers competing simultaneously.

NOS Datsun parts meet none of the above conditions.
    1971 240Z HLS30A 17574 L24-021025

Member ID
    CZCC-23509

reddatisms:
    Rare!!!
    NICE!
    a must for your restoration

HLS30 371-239 (1/77)
    Every time he touched her, she told him that places where she wanted to be more beautiful!
    Mr.Tamura said it is like an old craftsman of Buddha statue,he did not creat it, Buddha itself...
    Kats

FSM: http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html
    EFI "bible" : http://www.4moores.com/280z/files/280zfuelinjectionbook.pdf

Member ID
    CZCC-20998

I noticed he has over 21,000 sales on E-Bay. I forget who said "There's a sucker born every minute" or something like that but it's true. I look back and think of some of the stupid things I let happen to me. Live and learn and do your home work.
    1978 280z

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by bartsscooterservice View Post
    Lol I bought a few things from him, but only small prices. That's insane.
    I see alot of Ebay sellers who ask insane prices... they must think there are people who will buy.

Lately I was looking for the rear interior strut caps ( 2 black ones ), and I found some add on Ebay ( not from reddat ), and he asked something like 120 dollars, after some more searching, I found the same for 25 dollars !
    I found out those '' rare interior caps '' offer where indeed from reddat ! So now I have the same for 25 dollars lol that's a big difference. Also found out I have a few little " NOS " parts from him coming my way, arriving this week. So let's wait and see...

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I got some parts yesterday from Reddat also known as George Robbins. But have to say all the parts are genuine nissan parts. So I have no complains.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Member ID
    CZCC-21906

I just had an "experience" with this Reddat. I had heard of him but had forgotten and wanted to buy stuff off him on Ebay. I asked him to quote for shipping for certain parts, including windshield chrome moulding. He replied saying the shipping for all the other parts would be usd95 but for the chrome moulding it would be usd650… Yes, that's correct, he said six hundred and fifty american dollars for shipping the chrome mouldings. I said I will not take the moulding but will take everything else. So he told me to go through "buy it now" and he'd send me paypal request for the total. I did that and left to run some errands. Meanwhile he had sent me a message saying 2 of the parts had to be sent separately and it would be an additional 65 to send them. He did not wait for my reply, but added that 65 to the total AND he also added a part I had enquired about but HAD NOT BOUGHT, and he sent me a paypal request for all those. The total was about 200usd more than my original order that we had agreed upon. Obviously I did not pay him. The case is still open as I kindly told him I was prepared to take the parts I clicked and to pay 95 for shipping. I think I'll just drop the whole order and probably receive my first ever negative feedback on ebay..

Member ID
    CZCC-29788

Ebay changing their policy on charging fees on the shipping is not a good thing for the people that charge the actual shipping cost. I'm one of those people and now I have to include the ebay fees which in turn inflates shipping costs. At least the old way I had a choice of buying a part (or not) if the shipping cost was reasonable. Paying fees on the part is understandable since you have the choice to set the price you want to get. There is no option in price when it comes to shipping so not paying fees on that was a good thing.

Member ID
    CZCC-27817

The change in eBay fees was due to some sellers offering goods at very low prices and inflated shipping charges to reduce the fees paid.

The total fees paid to eBay with the new policy should be the same regardless of how the seller sets the out the door price. However that doesn't prevent unscrupulous seller from twisting it to their advantage. If they were screwing eBay, they are likely to try you on for size as well. Caveat emptor.
    1971 240Z HLS30A 17574 L24-021025

Thread Information