Thread: Dash Lights and Parking Lights?

Member ID
    CZCC-13882

Default Dash Lights and Parking Lights?

I replaced a bad fuse for my radio on my 1973 240z, after doing so, all lights and gauges on my dash (except speedometer and ammeter) stopped working. Also my parking lights and turn signals stopped working. The brake lights and head lights work fine. I checked all the fuses with a multimeter and I replaced all the bad ones, still nothing. I don't know where to look next. I ordered a wiring diagram, but thought I'd ask while I wait for it to be delivered. Thanks in advance.

Member ID
    CZCC-13899

Hey Albert, i went to the junk yard to day. I found a 74 260 z. I think it might be close to yours. It had a fuseable link box close to the battery. Are you sure that yours didnt have one and maybe the previous owner took it out and just by passed it?
    Owner -- 1980 280ZX -- Catch me if you Can!!!
    Previously Owned -- (2) 1979 280Z
    Owner -- 1984 Toyota Supra -- My Pride!!
    Owner -- 1983 Toyota Supra --Under Restoration

http://photos.walmart.com/thumbnails...4875_5824875/t
    _=5824875

Member ID
    CZCC-12051

3rd strike, My '73 did not have any fusible links next to the battery. The '73 is a bastard car, because all the electrical parts are different than any other year. Albert_EY, it sounds like something is wrong with our combo switch. If you dont have one, get a FSM (factory service manual) and use the wiring diagram to trace your wiring, also check your dimmer on the bottom side of the dash to the right of the steering wheel. you may have turned it down. Good luck...It took me about 3 weeks to completely go through my electrical system, but it was worth it...even my rear defrost works, now.

Member ID
    CZCC-13899

Default re bastard year

ramses,The 74 is even different? Its amazing that 2 cars can have the exact same symtoms and not even have the same parts. I guess you learn some thing new every day.
    Last edited by 3RD STRIKE; 02-25-2007 at 07:20 AM. Reason: question.want to trade cars?
    Owner -- 1980 280ZX -- Catch me if you Can!!!
    Previously Owned -- (2) 1979 280Z
    Owner -- 1984 Toyota Supra -- My Pride!!
    Owner -- 1983 Toyota Supra --Under Restoration

http://photos.walmart.com/thumbnails...4875_5824875/t
    _=5824875

Member ID
    CZCC-13882

I bought a wiring diagram off ebay, I haven't had the time to work on it... I think I have the service manual... It was in the car when I bought it. I will repost the results. Thanks everyone.
    P.S. I checked the dash dimmer, it didn't do anything... I was wondering what those knobs were for...

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

When people talk about the FSM (Factory Service Manual,) it's totally different than any regular book, like the Chilton's or Hayne's books. The FSM is about 1000 pages, give or take, and is specific to your year and/or exact model. You can get the FSM in print, or on CD.

The wiring diagrams can sometimes be found at the library. The Mitchell's books have good wiring diagrams, IMO, and they are big enough to read without a magnifying glass.

thx
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

71 240Z+
    Member ID
    CZCC-4319

I'm rewireing my car (70) with a painless wireing kit but keeping the steering conections as is. It was hard to figure out the wiring. I found the best diagram 11 by 17 and color coded. It's great and easy to read. Check out this web sight. www.slash5.com.

Member ID
    CZCC-4

Quote Originally Posted by albert_ey View Post
    I replaced a bad fuse for my radio on my 1973 240z, after doing so, all lights and gauges on my dash (except speedometer and ammeter) stopped working. Also my parking lights and turn signals stopped working. The brake lights and head lights work fine. I checked all the fuses with a multimeter and I replaced all the bad ones, still nothing.
    I'm not positive on this, but, it's either your switch or another fuse inside the dash. I discovered two additional fuses behind the radio area when I was working on the wiring a few weeks ago. I think one of the fuses is for the radio, but, I am unsure where the other fuse connects.

I had the same problem after going to the show this weekend. I'll have to dig around and find it. Let me know if you discover the problem before I am able to give an update.
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-13611

Try playing with the combo switches. Mine had the same problem and fulling with the switches fixed it.

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

Send a PM to escanlon
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-13882

I might have figured this out. I tried starting the car yesterday and it wouldn't start, I put another battery in and it started right up, I disconnect the battery and the car turns off... alternator, right? I take the alternator to the local Auto Zone to get it checked and the darn thing is ok. It turns out that a few days before the radio thing, My dad changed one of the radiator hoses and in doing so the corroded ground cable for the alternator broke apart and off. I haven't had the time to replace the wiring for that. But hopefully that is all. Do you guys think that is possible?

Member ID
    CZCC-13882

oh and I found a switch inside where the fuse box is and tried switching it "on/off" and I didn't see any difference. I'll check as soon as I get the alternator thing done. Thanks everyone!

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Alternator, voltage regulator, and the connections between...good idea to have them checked.

Switch near fuse box, could be the Antenna Switch. You don't mention if you rocked it up AND down or just on and off, i.e. 3 positions (up/center/down) versus 2 positions (on/off). It also would not be unusual for your antenna to not be working properly .... if it hasn't already been replaced with a manual antenn which wouldn't be electrically operated.

FWIW
    E

Member ID
    CZCC-13882

I checked all those connections and fixed the ground on the alternator. I started the car with a new battery, I disconnect the battery and the same thing happened. There must be a short somewhere... Where should I look.
    Oh, and the switch only has two positions. Thanks.

Member ID
    CZCC-13882

Smile YEAH I Got IT!!

I found some cables that were disconnected from the engine bay, oil pressure sensor wire, water temp sensor wire, and some others near the radio that I had no idea what they did, but I just put some electrical tape over them and voila! No more problem, I am still going to re-wire my Z just to be on the safe side. I'm going to remove that dang radio and put a new one in. There is a bunch of cables that belong to the radio and the equalizer that need to be gone, it looks like a web back there. Thank you all so much for your help.

Thread Information