Thread: headlights (heehee..headlights...)

Member ID
    CZCC-2270

Default headlights (heehee..headlights...)

k, on my 71 240Z, only one headlight works (left). the other doesn't. so i went to where the bad light connects to the plug that goes into the wiring harness and disconnected it, then removed the whole light from the bucket.
    i then went to the other headlight, and disconnected it. I plugged the other light in its place, and it didn't work. so i figured the light was bad. but i was bored last night, and connected a 9 volt battery to the connector on the light, and it lit up (although pretty dim). is this just the flasher filament working? also, i noticed the light had some broken glass in it, and there was a chip on the INSIDE of the lens. am i mistaken, or do i need a new headlight(s)?

P.S. the lights have little emblems on the lenses, look like C's, or maybe D's. are these the stock lights, or just something else?

Member ID
    CZCC-800

well, you can take the "bad" light to an auto parts store- they'll hook it up to 12V so you know for sure. May also have a bad or partially bad fuse (each side has its own). I spent 4 hours one day to find a fuse was partially burned out! Good luck,
    Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Axtell, R.Ph
    Nunda, NY 73- 240Z, 74 -260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-1964

Try pluging the "good" light into the "bad" socket first. When you ran the 9 volt battery you may have been checking the Hi beam filament.

Member ID
    CZCC-2270

well, i checked the fuses, both visually AND with a multimeter, they're both good. i also checked the wire going from the headlight to the fuse box, that's good as well.

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Recently I had the driver's side headlight go dim on me. The fuse was fine. I was about to start tearing into the wiring when one of our wise members suggested checking the fuse holder. I bent the wire on the fuse holder to make a tighter fit and it worked perfect! Start with the easy stuff first.

Good luck!

Marty

Thread Information