Thread: Can you but wiring harnesses?

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Default Can you buy wiring harnesses?

Would like to know if one can buy all the wiring harnesses for the 280Z? I'm not sure if I have a need for any particular one, but I thought it would be nice to replace the one for the section I might have apart- engine, dash, interior, rear.

Member ID
    CZCC-1499

I don't think I've ever seen complete or even sections of wiring harnesses for any Z's advertised for sale. You might try calling MSA or Classic Datsun Motorsports, they might know of someone who can help. CDM might be the best, since they were involved in the Z car store restorations done by Nissan a few years ago. They would possibly be the best place to start looking, as they may know of someone who can reman a wiring harness or they might do it themselves. You can find their link to their web-site in the web-links section here. Good luck.

Member ID
    CZCC-2533

How hard would it be to make your own? I've thought about re-wiring the complete engine harness myself. I was going to buy all the pigtails from msa and then re-wire starting from the computers connecter. I dont know how difficult or risky this is. But it may save money and improve engine performance.
    1972 240z
    L28 F/I
    Bringin her back to life.

Member ID
    CZCC-2466

check out this site

http://www.painlesswiring.com/harness1.htm

this is what i plan on doing,18 circuit harness
    i think it's 300$ but very worth it in my case.

Member ID
    CZCC-2533

That is a pretty cool site. Too bad it is all for GM cars. Do you know of a site/company that makes universal harness kits for import such as a datsun? I need a F/I harness more then anything. Also, i have a modified 240 with F/I. How can i find out if my computer is the right one for what i have. Can i go through bosch to find out. I dont know what the guy did before i bought it. It's an L28 and it is running really rich. It took less than a month and the spark plugs were toasty black. I need to know if the computer is getting all the right signals. Any body know where i can get some info for a wiring schmatic for the computer?
    1972 240z
    L28 F/I

Member ID
    CZCC-1965

See, that's what I was talking about in a previous post.
    I would also change my wiring harness if the price was right, and if a new one was available...

How many are we in this case?

I say it again lets organize us to have those parts made for us at the price we want... We have enough knowledgeable peoples around to develop the right product from the first time... and more than 1000 members, thats a lot of individual, it's called mass market.
    Finding the spec wouldn’t be too hard, and when you see at what speed the wiring get gremlined... I am ready to put a deposit for a product like that, refundable if it doesn't turn out the way we want. If we have enough founds then we could ask a few company to start their proposal. We keep the cash on a bank account then business start... Any lawyer around to put the business plan together???

So up to now, that’s :
    # 1 : wiring harness
    # 2 : mud, water splash guard
    # 3 : interior panels in a more recent material, same look better plastic
    # you say it...
    vive la Franze, vive les Z, vive ZmeFly

Member ID
    CZCC-2533

Just tell me where to sign
    1972 240z
    L28 F/I

Member ID
    CZCC-2466

the painless wireing kit is a universal harness but they tell you to get a gm one if your ignition is on the dash.

Member ID
    CZCC-2533

Is it totally unheard of to make your own? For the F/I system? Couldnt you take the old harness out of the car and duplicate it using new wires and pigtails? Or is there some danger in doing this that i dont know? Possibly wire guage specifications or something like that. Or is this just more work then it soounds. Anybody know?
    1972 240z
    L28 F/I

Member ID
    CZCC-4

So, do I assume that you can no longer purchase wiring harnesses from Nissan? That's one of my next steps in the restoration of my '71.
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I used to make custom wiring for street Rods, and I know what a PITA it is to do it. Right now, I'm real busy with a job, school, etc, so I don't want to spend all those hours duplicating something I could buy. It should solve a few things, too, like making the headlights brighter.

Member ID
    CZCC-2533

Oh...i was unaware that they made them anymore. Should i just call the nissan dealer? How much approx. do you think they would cost?
    1972 240z
    L28 F/I

Member ID
    CZCC-3005

Default running rich

I take it that you are running a nissan computer on the L28, if you are running an anilog system then you can reduce your rich run by checking that your cold start valve is closing off( the thermotime switch functions. then go to the mass air flow meter this item has a variable in it other than the bypass air you can increase the spring pressure on the airflow flap lying about the amount of air going thru, that will in turn lean out your running mixture To check for a analog system go to the airflow meter again check the imput wiring plug it should have five contact pins. to confirm go to the throttle valve switch it should have three contact pins. the most probale reason for the rich running is age of the spring on the mass airflow flap, it has gone soft.
    For the computer you have if it is nissan it will have a tag with part numbers that nissan will be able to date and tell what model it came from.
    good luck
    "inject them all"
    Steve

Member ID
    CZCC-2533

Thanks for the info sjcurtis. I dont know if it matters but the airflow meter apears to be aftermarket. It's made by vane. Would that change anything? Is it possible i have the wrong one? The computer is made by bosch and it has all the numbers for the bosch stock numbers but i dont see anything by nissan. The egr has been disconnected because of the headers. And the coolant temerature switch (not temp sensor) doesnt appear to be connected to anything...what is it's significance? Thanks again
    1972 240z
    L28 F/I

Member ID
    CZCC-3005

Default rough running

I found this by Dave Hoerl and It explains theairflow meter well.
    Airflow Meter Calibrating & Repairing
    Date: Wed, 25 Sep 96
    Subject: RE: Air Flow Meters

If you have a mechanical Air Flow Meter (with a vane and an embedded
    potentiometer), you can calibrate it. These things are factory calibrated
    to a spec, not to the car. Metric Mechanic sells for $5 a procedure to
    calibrate one. Don't know how good it is as I haven't gotten it yet (I ordered
    it in August, they cashed my check, but no procedure yet :-<).

Basically, to calibrate it, you need to first pry off the plastic cover. After
    that, you position the thing such that you can access the springs and
    adjustment screws. The O2 sensor is disconnected, and you put a voltmeter on
    it. While monitoring the voltage, you first adjust one of the screws (probably
    the arm angle offset) to get a .5Volt reading from the O2 sensor. Then, you
    increase the engine RPM to a higher setting, and adjust the big round spring
    tension adjuster so that the voltage is again .5 Volts. If the Air Flow Meter
    is good (ie, all resistors good, carbon track good), you can get it dead on,
    and it will now be "calibrated" for your car.

NOTE! I'm guessing at what the exact procedure is - so don't follow the above
    as gospel.

Generally, older engines tend to run "lean", so you need to richen them with
    less spring tension.

Good luck. And, if you are a DIYer, call Metric Mechanics.

David Hoerl
    84 633CSi

Okay now that tells you what you need to optimize the running and also to add spring pressure to reduce rich running.
    with the system now running at good mixture stabalise the air bypass or leaks to achieve a more acceptable idle 650 to 700 rpm with no cold start running.
    the bosch computer is the basis for the nissan ones, so it should have cold start capability in it.
    you will need the cold start circuit wired up for ease of cold engine start/running.
    also check that the throttle switch is not stuck at full throttle (max fuel imput).
    good luck
    Steve

Member ID
    CZCC-2533

Thanks again for all that input. Sounds like i need to do some investigating with my cold stat valve/cuircit and air flow meter. That was an interesting tech article thing you had there. The only problem is that my car doesnt have an oxygen sensor. I heard that was normal because some of the earlier F/I systems didnt have them until early 80's. Am i correct with that statement? All sensors hooked up to my computer are as followed...Coolant Temperature sensor, thermotime switch, air regulator, cold start injector, air flow meter, throttle valve switch. The only thing that doesnt appear to be hooked up is the coolant temerature switch. And im not sure where its supposed to do or go. Am i missing anything? Thanks again
    1972 240z
    L28 F/I

Member ID
    CZCC-3005

Default coolant temp bulb

I am not to sure, as I said before about the aftermarket stuff. The oxygen sensor is not nessasary It really only interests the smog fiends in Cali. or a digital fuel managment computer to control the rate at which your catalitic converter clogs up, costing you money and stalling the car. In your case the oxygen sensor might have leaned the mix a bit. I would have thought that a coolant temp switch would have picked off on the pin next to the thermotime switch to cut the start injector in and out. Maybe this model computer direct reads the resistance from the coolant temp and controls start injector internally.

wish I could see what it looks like, I am sure we could have your engine screaming in no time flat.

Good Luck
    Steve

Member ID
    CZCC-2533

I have a digital camera...I'll take a few pics of my setup and post them up for you to see. Thanks alot...i appreciate the help
    1972 240z
    L28 F/I

Thread Information