Thread: Headers / Extractors

Member ID
    CZCC-4987

Unhappy Headers / Extractors

Hi everyone

I'm looking for a bit of guidance on headers/extractors for my L24 block with triple carbs.

Problem: once I fitted my triple 45 webers, the existing (after-market) headers did not suit. The no.1 and no.6 pipes from the headers almost TOUCH the underneath of the inlet manifold (which runs from the carbs to the engine).

Result: the fuel running through the inlet manifold is vapourising/bubbling away, so the car starts to *splutter* once the temperatures get up.

Question: To any of you out there who are successfully running triple carb set-ups, WHAT BRAND OF HEADERS ARE YOU USING?

Also, are you using any kind of heat resistant material (e.g. heat tape or high performance coatings) or heat deflectors?

I'm NOT interested in installing a secondary fan (which seems to be a solution some have gone for), because I don't want to clutter the engine bay with extras.

I really feel there must be a set of headers which suit triple carb set-ups, on top of which any heat coating would help my situation even further.

Brands? Cost? Advice? ANYONE?

Cheers
    MM

Member ID
    CZCC-3769

Can't help you with brands, but I would recommend getting your headers ceramic coated and also fabricating some form of heat shield between the headers and the intake manifold/carbs. The heat shield alone should make a huge difference.

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

I personally like the Jet-Hot coated headers. We purchased them from MSA. I would think that any kind of header wrap would retain moisture, been told to stay away from that route. Can't remember the price on the Jet Hots from MSA. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Vicky
    Last edited by Zrush; 05-10-2004 at 09:51 AM.
    Zweet

240 Z Owner/Nut Case dhoneycutt's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4557

Default Headers

I just ordered a MSA header with the aero space coating for $244.95 USD. It was the six into one
    David A. Honeycutt
    United States Air Force, Retired

1972 Datsun 240Z HLS3079961
    A Work in Progress

2004 Mazda 6s
    2009 BMW 535xi

The Only Difference Between Men & Boys... Is The Price Of Their Toys!

Member ID
    CZCC-1743

Default In Australia?

Are any Australian members following this thread? I would be interested in hearing what make of headers you have fitted to your L24 and how they perform.
    halz
    ---------------------------
    New headers and 2.25" sports system: They say "loud doesn't mean fast"... I'm just testing the theory!

Member ID
    CZCC-3604

i have a set of pacemakers with a webber manifold and its fine, they arent ceramic coated, they arent tuned lenght but do the job.
    73 240z,
    sequential Fuel injected L28 3 Litre,
    152 KW @ wheels (6800RPM)
    300zx TT Brakes, R200 LSD
    Sydney Australia

Thread Information