Thread: Oil Pan/Sump won't come off

Member ID
    CZCC-1269

Default Oil Pan/Sump won't come off

Hi all,

I have removed all the screws, given the thing a good few hard wacks with a block of wood and a hammer and still it wont come off.. Haynes says not to use a screwdriver to prise it off, so I have run out of ideas..

Thanks...
    George
    1973 240Z -The Green Beast- L28 FI

Member ID
    CZCC-1499

If you have a stiff putty knife, tap it in around the pan to break the gasket loose, actually to cut the gasket as much as release it's grip on the pan and block. Go all the way around it and when you have gone all the way around it, take the putty knife and twist it to loosen the pan. The reason you don't want to use a screwdriver is because it puts pressure one such a small area it will bend the flange on the pan, using a putty knife will spread the force out.

Probably someone has used a sealant on the pan gasket and it is well sealed.
    "If it weren't for fools, the rest of us could not succeed." Mark Twain.

Member ID
    CZCC-791

When in doubt......WHACK IT HARDER with that piece of wood and hammer. Cutting as 2ManyZs says will help, but you may still need to WHACK IT HARD. (I did)

Member ID
    CZCC-1269

Thank you guys for the super fast response!

Off to try both your methods now..
    George

Member ID
    CZCC-1269

still wont come off
    George

Member ID
    CZCC-1499

I can't believe it won't come off with the putty knife trick George... double check you have all the bolts out?
    Just keep at it, and don't forget to go around it on the front side where it meets the front cover.
    If nothing else, use a good stiff bladed carpet knife or utility knife to cut between the pan and the gasket.

If you have all the bolts out, it's gotta come off sooner or later.....
    "If it weren't for fools, the rest of us could not succeed." Mark Twain.

Member ID
    CZCC-4

Default Re: Oil Pan/Sump won't come off

Originally posted by 24OZ
    I have removed all the screws, given the thing a good few hard wacks with a block of wood and a hammer and still it wont come off.. Haynes says not to use a screwdriver to prise it off, so I have run out of ideas..
    It should come off. Maybe someone used an epoxy to install it? hehe

Anyway, the manual is correct, you don't want to bend the edge of the pan with a screwdriver. But, be careful wacking it because you could bend the oil supply pipe inside the pan. I've always had good luck hitting it a few times, prying with a putty knife (see other posts), and then hitting again a few times. You could try to cut the gasket with a xacto blade, but, be careful not to slip and cut your wrist!

-- M
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-2419

Using a dead blow hammer worked well for me after I did the
    "2ManyZs" trick.

- Jeff
    FUEL INJECTED '72 L24

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Originally posted by JEFF
    Using a dead blow hammer worked well for me after I did the
    "2ManyZs" trick.

- Jeff
    And don't always WHACK it in the same direction. WHACK it from all sides while watching carefully for signs of movement so you don't break the Oil Pick-up tube when it finally lets loose.

Member ID
    CZCC-2047

Hey, can I piggy-back in here on the subject?....I have torn numerous L's apart and at some point Nissan began putting--for lack of a better term--'flange stiffeners' around the oil pan. Two pieces of thicker, drilled metal about a 1/2 inch wide which go under the bolts around (roughly) two halves of the pan. Anyone know exactly when this started and why? I can't imagine them being added without a problem.

steve77
    "Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." -EH
    HLS30-360728 Green Death Machine
    HLS30-137933 Team Midol
    Central Coast Z Car Club
    WestCoastZRacer

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Originally posted by Zvoiture
    Hey, can I piggy-back in here on the subject?....I have torn numerous L's apart and at some point Nissan began putting--for lack of a better term--'flange stiffeners' around the oil pan. Two pieces of thicker, drilled metal about a 1/2 inch wide which go under the bolts around (roughly) two halves of the pan. Anyone know exactly when this started and why? I can't imagine them being added without a problem.

steve77
    I believe that they started in 73. My 71 and early 72 240Z's did not have those extra brackets around the oil pan, but the 73 that I used to own did have them. Just got a set of them from "Danny's Datsuns" in Oregon to retrofit to the 72 engine I'm having rebuilt (short-blocked) for installation into Bambikiller.

BTW, the set that I got has 3 pieces, but strangely they do not go COMPLETELY around the circumfrance of the oil pan. There is a small area not covered by these brackets/plates.

Member ID
    CZCC-3241

Oxy & acetylene cutting torch will cut most of the sump off, then get your 100mm anngle grinder & grind off the excess.
    That should do it.
    "TURBO" = cubic inch substitute.
    To those that know, an explanation isn't necessary.
    To those that don't, an explanation isn't possible.

Member ID
    CZCC-1269

Thumbs up

I tried everyones method apart from the angle grinder, thankfully never had too. I finally used a big screwdriver with a flat head and gently prised it and it gave way..

I notice that the inside of the oil pan, looks painted black, but this paint is worn off in many places.. Is this normal or has someone painted mine on the inside. I'm goign to strip it bare as I dont think paint in the oil is a good thing..

One more question please. while the oil pan is off I can see the strainer, how do i go about cleaning this, i'm not sure it needs cleaning but may as well do it seeing its now accessible.

Thanks..
    George

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Originally posted by 24OZ
    One more question please. while the oil pan is off I can see the strainer, how do i go about cleaning this, i'm not sure it needs cleaning but may as well do it seeing its now accessible.

Hi George:

Good to see that you were successful in removing the oil pan. They can be very "stuck" to the block even without the addition of adhesive. Must be the heat and oil, I guess.

You can remove the strainer by un-doing the two bolts. (there is a gasket between the strainer and the block which I think you would have a hard time purchasing as a separate item, (I've only found it in full engine gasket sets) but it can be created with sheet gasket material and an exacto-knife (razor knife) and some degree of patience. I have soaked my strainer in mineral spirits and used a small stainless-steel wire brush to clean the screen.

Good Luck!

Member ID
    CZCC-1269

Thank you Carl for the info..

Yep, it was giving me a hard enough time! Its not comfortable at all working under the car, its actually one of my pet hates! Much prefer peering over the bonnet or actually driving the thing!

Thank you...

On further inspection and cleaning of the oil pan, (Im going to paint it blue on the outised), I dont think it has been painted black on the inside.... I think its just burnt oil.
    George

Thread Information