Thread: Twice Pipes

Member ID
    CZCC-17195

Default Twice Pipes

What should I know about 3 to 2 header/twice pipes installation? Would I be better off taking this setup to my muffler guy, or doing this myself. I don't want to take on something that has been known to be a b*tch, and get stuck or caught up in a long drawn out exhaust overhaul.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by mikewags; 09-21-2008 at 07:59 AM.
    11/75 - 1976 280Z - #HLS30-282,503
    Metallic Blue #305

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

'Better off' is a relative term. For me, now keep in mind that this is not my car or my situation but if it were, 'better off' would mean putting everything back in the box and sending it back for a refund. I just wouldn't got through all of the hassle and expense involved to put dual pipes on a single bank engine. I could do it; I have welders, both gas and mig and tubing benders, expanders, etc. but just wouldn't have the desire. That being said, if you are set on doing this, having read what others have gone through to accomplish this installation, I'd take it to a good muffler shop.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-17195

I haven't bought anything yet, i'm actually still deciding whether or not it's worth getting into.

Headers + Twice Pipes + Exhaust work = 400 - 500$.

Stephen, I appreciate your opinion on the subject. I'm aware that you think the dual exhaust setup is a complete waste of time and money; especially for the straight 6; but I'm curious why I have had several people telling me that the performance/sound gain would be worth doing this.

Are these people full of it, or just don't know what they are talking about?

Ideally, someone here that has a dual/twice pipe setup can give me some feedback on any performance gains/general review of doing this. I'm not about doing the dual exhaust, if it's just going to make a "sweeter sound" - To me that doesn't justify removing stock components/spending the money to get this done.

Thanks!
    Metallic Blue #305

Member ID
    CZCC-1248

Default Believe, but verify

My title is a variant on the line that Ronald Reagan used about the Soviet Union; i.e., "Trust, but verify." It is probably the only thing on which RWR and I have ever agreed, but right is right, and he was right on that.

IMO, anyone who is selling some bolt-on performance part should be asked to "show me the numbers." (I guess I'm into paraphrasing today.) What I mean is that for about $200 they could get dyno runs of the car before and after the bolt-on installation and have them verified, witnessed, notarized and available for inspection. If a business isn't willing to invest that much money in a commercial product on which they expect to make many, many times that much in profits, you can pretty much write the mod off as crap.
    Bob Kroshefsky
    Marysville, OH
    CZC # 1248

Member ID
    CZCC-17788

I installed the twice pipes set-up in my driveway. It's soposed to be easier to install in the 240's though. I did notice a bump in performance which I tested on my butt dyno. As for the sound its amazing. The sound alone is worth it in my opinion. Heres a vid: Please excuse the crap sound quality

Installed MSA Twice Pipes onto the 71 240z

Member ID
    CZCC-15322

Anyone else have any info on this system or even one for sale? I am also interested in this and looking for more opinions.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I can't see any reason that twice pipes would be better for performance than a single exhaust of adequate size tubing. Remember that twice pipes were used back in the '70s as "THE" performance choice. Why dual pipes? Because the large diameter pipes that we all use routinely these days were very hard to find. Two inch pipes were the largest your local muffler shop had available. These days we have larger 2.5" pipes available, which are much easier to work with, and have vastly better tuning ability.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Express Japanese Taxi ozconnection's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-10105

Default Dual pipes are ok

Arne, I have reseached this topic myself for quite a while now.

What I have found is it's not just the diameter of the exhaust pipe that's important.

Exhaust system tuning can reap substancial power and torque dividends if done correctly. There are a number of textbooks that promote the idea of dividing the exhaust system into two separate banks for a six cylinder engine with a firing order of 1,5,3,6,2,4. Just like the intake side of things where there are dual plane, single plane, tunnel ram, individual runner etc type configurations, there should be insight given to these possibilities where the exhaust is concerned. There's lots of 'theory' on the topic. May I suggest you grab a book like "Scientific design of Exhaust and Intake Systems" by Smith and Morrison and have a litte read.

I haven't done this yet on my car, but I've already made the promise in another thread that as soon as my system needs replacement, this is the path I'll be taking.
    Last edited by ozconnection; 10-10-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: changed some stuff
    '78 280C sedan P30 Y70 L4N71B 4.11 H190 N/A A 'NEW" engine combination 131 rwhp.
    '71 240C coupe N42 NEW E88 FS5W71B 4.33 H190 Megasquirt V3.57 212 rwhp

'Nissantiques - join the club'

Member ID
    CZCC-8541

The Datsun works rally team in the 70's MUST have used dual pipes for a reason and it can't have been because they could'nt get hold of 2 1/2" tube

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

OK, I should have said, "I can't see any reason that twice pipes would be better for performance on a mostly stock street driven car than a single exhaust of adequate size tubing."

I'll concede that there are flow characteristics that may be advantageous if properly developed. I also strongly suspect that most exhaust shops do not have the knowledge to take advantage of this.

Member ID
    CZCC-18019

There was a post with pictures of an instal over in the tech section at zcar.com a couple of days ago.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/19...77#msg-1975877
    Last edited by darkstarrocker; 10-11-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Didnt want to sound like an ass on my first post

Member ID
    CZCC-10105

Default Brrrrmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    I'll concede that there are flow characteristics that may be advantageous if properly developed. I also strongly suspect that most exhaust shops do not have the knowledge to take advantage of this.
    I guess that's the value of forums like this. With our collective and shared knowledge we could probably go to the exhaust shop and tell them what we wanted on our cars.

Knowledge is power
    '78 280C sedan P30 Y70 L4N71B 4.11 H190 N/A A 'NEW" engine combination 131 rwhp.

Member ID
    CZCC-10105

Quote Originally Posted by darkstarrocker View Post
    There was a post with pictures of an instal over in the tech section at zcar.com a couple of days ago.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/19...77#msg-1975877
    There was a comment by one of the posters that all the pipes merged into one pipe and then split again into two pipes and this was a good thing. Wrong!! This is pointless and isn't a true twice pipes setup. The interaction of the exhaust pulses at this point will negate any advantage the system could have provided the engine with.

Group cylinders 1,2,3 and 4,5,6 together and keep them separate all the way through...no interconnecting pipes or any form of merging. Check out the attachment to see what I'm talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dual exhaust 240z.jpg 
Views:	1561 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	25959  

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

I have never heard of anyone doing any dyno testing to determine any appreciable power gains, one way or the other. I don't have a leg to stand on as far as proof, but I don't see how going from 2 into 1 and back into 2 would be any different than using an H or X pipe on a V8 to equalize pressure. Granted, with a V8 the pressures are equalized between banks and not just cylinders, but I can't see how it would be detrimental. It would seem to serve as a means to even out wave pulses would it not? I am planning on using a true twice pipe system also, but only for the sound I hope to produce and the nostalgic value.

Member ID
    CZCC-10105

Default Apples and Oranges

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    I have never heard of anyone doing any dyno testing to determine any appreciable power gains, one way or the other. I don't have a leg to stand on as far as proof, but I don't see how going from 2 into 1 and back into 2 would be any different than using an H or X pipe on a V8 to equalize pressure. Granted, with a V8 the pressures are equalized between banks and not just cylinders, but I can't see how it would be detrimental. It would seem to serve as a means to even out wave pulses would it not? I am planning on using a true twice pipe system also, but only for the sound I hope to produce and the nostalgic value.
    Unfortunately nor do I have any 'proof' with the L series as yet. As soon as my current single system expires, I'll be doing some dyno testing to establish differences.

V8 engines are a different kettle of fish. Different number of cylinders, different firing order and therefore work to a different 'tune' to our sixes.
    We cannot compare what works on an eight to what works with our engines however much we try.

I'm curious, why don't you throw your machine on the dyno now and after the pipe change? Give us all a taste of things to come for those who are going to do this to there cars in the future. (and post an "on the dyno" sound clip too, please!)

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by ozconnection View Post

I'm curious, why don't you throw your machine on the dyno now and after the pipe change? Give us all a taste of things to come for those who are going to do this to there cars in the future. (and post an "on the dyno" sound clip too, please!)
    Unfortunately I won't be able to do the before & after dyno, as the car is already being built from the ground up. The after will be of little help to anyone without a point of comparison, but I will one day post a sound clip of it here. There does seem to be an increased interest in twice pipes lately.

I have most of an original twice pipe system that I am using to duplicate a new one. This is the closest pre-muffler I have found so far. I plan to use only these stacked megaphones out back. The header is a Trust. Notice how crude the bends are in the factory pipes. My new mandrel bent pipes will be somewhat of an improvement.
    Last edited by geezer; 02-14-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-10105

Thumbs up

Yes please Ron, you must post the sound of your machine here once it's done....it looks superb.

I'm wondering if there is flow mixing (ie completely separated chambers or not) with that magnaflow pre-muffler you have? Do you know, can you tell?
    Last edited by ozconnection; 10-11-2008 at 11:41 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-15322

Anyone have any pictures or videos of a modified twice pipe system (True 2 pipes all the way back)? I would love to hear/see it.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

I'm wondering if there is flow mixing (ie completely separated chambers or not) with that magnaflow pre-muffler you have? Do you know, can you tell?
    The Magnaflow 11378 is the best replacement I have found so far, but I have not bought one yet, just in case something better suited is found. I doubt the chambers are totally isolated, as it isn't stated in the product description. With a straight thru design, and the limited expansion of the exhaust within the muffler I don't imagine there would be much flow mixing or pulse shaping taking place anyhow. I understand your reasoning, running two totally isolated branches all the way and am curious to know if there is a benefit doing so, but it really isn't important for my intended use. I'm going to connect my leaf blower to the OEM twice pipes to see if the pre-muffler has isolated chambers or not.

Brand: MagnaFlow
    Product Line: MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers
    Part Type: Mufflers
    Part Number: MPE-11378
    Case Shape: Oval
    Inlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
    Inlet Quantity: Dual
    Inlet Location: Center
    Outlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
    Outlet Quantity: Dual
    Outlet Location: Center
    Internal Construction: Perforated stainless tube with packing
    Muffler Material: Stainless steel
    Muffler Finish: Natural
    Case Length (in): 11.000 in.
    Overall Length (in): 17.000 in.
    Thickness (in): 4.000 in.
    Width (in): 9.000 in.
    Outlet Style: Standard, without tip
    Quantity: Sold individually.

Muffler, Dual 2.25 in. Inlet/Dual 2.25 in. Outlet, Stainless Steel, Natural

Member ID
    CZCC-10105

Ron, great idea with the blower! When do you think you'd get one of these mufflers?

A very comprehensive list of features supplied by the manufacturer. Too bad it doesn't mention what happens inside the thing!

I wouldn't mind getting one of the magnaflow mufflers myself if it is truely split. I still think that if you're going to all this trouble, you may as well do it 'properly' and get the most 'bang for your bucks!'

I will go to their website and ask them. Perhaps you could too if you wanted to. They might be more inclined to respond if there are two people asking?!

Member ID
    CZCC-18013

Here's a few of the vids of my old stockish 2.4L with the twice pipes.

The first vid only goes up to 3K Valves werent set and carbs werent sync'd.

The second one, I had done the valve adjustment, but i dont think I had sync'd the carbs yet.

I love the set up, such great sound, much better in person. If I thought i could keep the set up with a turbo, I would.
    Last edited by ZDemon; 10-13-2008 at 09:18 PM.
    '93 300ZX Convertible, Stockish
    '77 280Z, Possibly a ZZZap(still doing research to verify)
    '72 240Z, "DemonZ" Bought on 06/06/06, License Plate # ends in 666

Member ID
    CZCC-10105

Got this from Magnaflow today. They were really quick in their response too. Thanks Magnaflow!

It's the internal workings of the 11378 muffler.

Seems to me that the two pipes are not separated but allow the mixing of gasses. What do you guys think?

I like the sound of the twice pipes ZDemon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magnaflow 11378 small file 1.JPG 
Views:	320 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	26020  

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

It's the internal workings of the 11378 muffler.

Seems to me that the two pipes are not separated but allow the mixing of gasses. What do you guys think?

I expected this to be the case. Likewise, testing the OEM twice pipes with my leafblower, revealed that both thru pipes share a common expansion chamber. Without the use of magnehelic pressure gauges while under running conditions my crude test is hardly conclusive, but I would estimate there is about a 15-20% transfer rate from the pipe being supplied air to the other.

ZDemon, thanks for the videos, NICE!

Member ID
    CZCC-16640

Quote Originally Posted by mikewags View Post
    I haven't bought anything yet, i'm actually still deciding whether or not it's worth getting into.

Headers + Twice Pipes + Exhaust work = 400 - 500$.

Stephen, I appreciate your opinion on the subject. I'm aware that you think the dual exhaust setup is a complete waste of time and money; especially for the straight 6; but I'm curious why I have had several people telling me that the performance/sound gain would be worth doing this.

Are these people full of it, or just don't know what they are talking about?

Ideally, someone here that has a dual/twice pipe setup can give me some feedback on any performance gains/general review of doing this. I'm not about doing the dual exhaust, if it's just going to make a "sweeter sound" - To me that doesn't justify removing stock components/spending the money to get this done.

Thanks!
    I custom made my dual exhaust for about $200.00. Love the look and the sound.
    Jason

Member ID
    CZCC-10105

Quote Originally Posted by jtl260z View Post
    Can you post a sound clip???

Cheers

Member ID
    CZCC-16049

hey ZDemon hearing that exhaust note made my ears cum...
    its awesome...

Hey OZCONNECTION where can i get a set of the twice pipes you posted? (post # 13)

ZDemon are those the same ones you got... or do you have the MSA version that goes from 2 to 1 the 2 again?
    Last edited by ToXIc; 10-15-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-17195

Quote Originally Posted by jtl260z View Post
    How did you get the exhaust to come out on the right side? Isn't the gas tank in the way?
    Metallic Blue #305

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by ToXIc View Post
    its awesome...

Hey OZCONNECTION where can i get a set of the twice pipes you posted? (post # 13)

ZDemon are those the same ones you got... or do you have the MSA version that goes from 2 to 1 the 2 again?
    No longer made. I saw an NOS set of the exhaust itself (no matching headers) offered here in Oregon a short while back, but I know for certain that they sold to a guy who has the correct header to go with them.

Member ID
    CZCC-16049

^^^

i want one... doesn't anyone clone them?

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

^^^

i want one... doesn't anyone clone them?
    Nope. A user here (70z4fun) was trying to find a clone of that system for years. He gave up looking, and then recently bought the NOS system I was talking about.

Member ID
    CZCC-18013

its awesome...

they're the MSA, I'm probably going to eliminate the small section where it is one pipe when I put them on the '77
    '93 300ZX Convertible, Stockish
    '77 280Z, Possibly a ZZZap(still doing research to verify)
    '72 240Z, "DemonZ" Bought on 06/06/06, License Plate # ends in 666

Member ID
    CZCC-15469

ZDemon -

What did you do to fit both pipes out the rear valence? I'm getting mine installed soon, but am unsure of what to do about the fittiment at the very back. I don't think the pipes would fit vertically stacked, so I guess I'll have to have the cut-out enlarged.
    Should I just have the exhaust shop do this?
    ***PREVIOUSLY OWNED***
    1970 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-01704
    71,000 Original Miles

- Jon

Thread Information