Thread: '72 240z Muffler recommendations?

Registered User dntpunchgrandpa's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-19288

Default '72 240z Muffler recommendations?

Hey guys. I was was wondering what is recommended. I currently have tuned ceramic tuned MSA headers running into 2 1/2 inch pipe that reduces down to 2 inch at a dynomax 1 in 1 out muffler. The engine is just the stock 2.4L engine with the head milled once.
    I Used to have a cherry bomb glass pack and loved the sound but it didnt generate enough back pressure and my low end power suffered. My chief complaint with the current muffler is that it does not mount flush under the body, a bit of it hangs down and its just an eye sore to me. Its not a mounting issue as it is mounted as high as can be but due to its length, as the body lines on the rear low quarter panel curve upward toward the bumper it protrudes 6 inches or so. I DO NOT want the rice rocket boom toobs.

what I'm looking for is increased performance, loud but with good tone, flush mounting and good backpressure

I was looking at Flowmaster's Hushpower HP-2 series. Any thoughts?

this is the site.

http://www.hushpower.com

Thanks!

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

You can eliminate the low hanging effect by installing the MSA muffler backwards. The actual documentation on that muffler states that it can be installed either way with no detrimental effects on performance.

I left mine installed in the original orientation just because...
    '71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

Member ID
    CZCC-19288

I think maybe I was unclear, I have MSA HEADERS that are tuned, the current muffler is a Dynomax.

but thanks for the response walter!

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

ANSA all the way ! I've sold these things litarally world wide with no complaints. Hawaii, New Zealand, Tailand. Aus. Member Zedyone_Kenobi can vouch for them. He say they sound like Fararri's from the old La Mans days, (you know, 50 's 60's Gran Prix 's.) . He runs a similar set up not far off from where you can be with a sound clip if you search for it. He can tell you where the power band lies at as well in the Low range mid range or high range. Not to sound like a plug but I have a kit version in the classifieds good for 2 or upto 4 inches inlet diameter. But do your research and ask around as these are Vintage and Not junky ricer parts.
    Last edited by WingZr0; 12-27-2009 at 03:08 AM.
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

ウイングゼロ 競争 GangLoadOParts.com

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

I see the HP 1 for trucks and diesels, is there a link for the HP 2?
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-19288

THANKS! any idea where I could find ANSA mufflers? and yea you can find the HP-2's if you click on "products by type" from the home page and then click on "mufflers" and you should see the different types of the HP-2 mufflers.

Member ID
    CZCC-4325

I used to have ANSA on my Z they are great, I did not know they still made the set up for the 240. I had the a turbo cherry bomb and ANSA tips and sounded great. Now that I am much older I like a quite but deep sound. The Dynomax is a very good muffler has a very good flow how does it sound? If you take it off I may just get it from you

Member ID
    CZCC-19288

Maytin, its starting to sound like ANSA might be the way to go. How was the back pressure and low end on the set up you had with the cherry bomb and ansa tips? thats my only concern with going with a glass pack since I had one before and the low end of my power band was almost non existent due to a lack of back pressure.

And the dynomax that I have had on there now has been there a little over a year now. Its blown out a bit of the fiberglass inside so its a just a tad bit louder. At idle and cruising speeds it has a good low deep growl to it which I do like but should you decide to grab a gear and stand on it, it gets louder and you do get that great inline six 240 sound. My only complaint with it is that like i said, it protrudes just a a bit from under the body, Its not nice and flush like the smaller stock mufflers. I can post a pic if you like.

'72 240Z(G) 3.2L
    Member ID
    CZCC-7328

Again, I would suggest what Dave Rebello uses on his engine dyno (and what's on my 3.2L NA motor) - a Sebring Tuning muffler. As Dave says -"if I have to listen to it all day it better sound good".

Simple, clean, and not expensive.
    if a little knowledge can make you dangerous, I'm a little dangerous

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Quote Originally Posted by gnosez View Post
    . . . As Dave says -"if I have to listen to it all day it better sound good" . . .
    My new favorite quote ! That Sebring Tunning sounds interesting. Thing about Ansa's though is they don't make Z stuff no more. I'm good at tracking them down but the best place to find them is Ebay most ofthen.
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-20605

Gnose (or anyone else), would you please expand on the "Sebring Tuning muffler"? I have a 260Z which has no cat, but still has an old header on that I hope to repair - rest of the exhaust system is not so good. If you could point me in a direction on the web or elsewhere, I would appreciate it!

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Quote Originally Posted by oldhemi View Post
    Gnose (or anyone else), would you please expand on the "Sebring Tuning muffler"?

If you could point me in a direction on the web or elsewhere, I would appreciate it!
    http://www.sebringtuning.com/

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-20605

Thanks Mike! Doh, I think that I might have been there earlier and was just confused. Now that I been there again, I guess that I would like to see or know which tip/muffler to get/ponder! The Web site has a dizzying array of stuff including a pic of a ruined SEMA modified early Corvette!
    Another point that I need to learn is what size of exhaust is rotting away on my 260Z.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Terrible website, I didn't see anything for the 240Z.
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

'72 240Z(G) 3.2L
    Member ID
    CZCC-7328

I believe you need to see things "outside the box" and do your own thinking without having someone or some site hand feed you all the info....

It took me less than a minute to click through the website from main page to mufflers (05) to price list ($129.). It's 18-inches long and 6-inches in diameter.

Does it list this muffler as one for 240? Nope. Do I know how big a space there is to put a muffler in an S30? Yes. What style and size do I want for my Z? A round one and not one that looks like a mail box, so hence the 05 style in 2.5-inch inlet/outlet diameter with a GT3.5 tip.

They also list a contact number to call and since this company is part of the Jim Cook Racing family, they could walk you through the process of selecting the right one for a Z.

It sure must make driving difficult if someone has to hold your hand.....
    Last edited by gnosez; 12-27-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I've recently been considering a dual outlet Magnaflow to try to replicate the looks of the old Italian systems for 240Z. I've heard good things about the sound of the Magnaflow.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-20605

Gnose, you talking to me? If so, thanks for holding my hand! Come on down and help me with my driving, too. I had respect for your apparent knowledge of zcars whereas there was no internet since the last time I drove my Z. I figured if someone who I perceive as a very knowledgeable person( yeah, I have done a lot of searching lately and you do show up on the net) went with a particular part, then at the very least I should look into it. I also figured that person would be able to point out where to get this item after posting about said item without an attitude.

Was it real hard for you to point out what exact part was available on that site that you had on your car without trying to ridicule me? You dont know me. But, now I have a good idea about you! Is this how you treat your customers when they have a specific question?
    Do I still respect your knowledge after the insults you threw at me? Yes.
    Do I respect you as a person - not so much now.
    Would I like to meet you in person - you betcha.

You are a real piece of work. WTF, go get laid or something. Maybe then, I can come up to Boston the next time I visit my my family in Connecticut and we can hoist some beers.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys, I am not here to be an a-hole. I have NEVER been attacked on any other site like this. I try to share what I know on 69-78 Honda 750 Sandcast's and Honda SOHC choppers having extensive experience with them for over 35 years. I help guys even when I am holding their hands for the umpteeth time - I just dont make fun of their computer skills or writing/spelling skills even if I have to work at getting them squared away. I cant ride or wrench much on my bikes anymore due to being disabled and old, but that dont stop me from trying. This longevity does not make me "the" expert, I am always leaning something new from a young kid or another old-timer. I think that I can contribute to this forum in some way and earn some modicum of respect from all of you regulars. Be it checking out or picking up a part/car for someone here in Texas to walking out to my garage and looking at my 74 Z to check for originality for someone - I am the original owner. I have picked up and stored bikes and or parts and also helped with shipping them out of my garage for some folks.

Thanks ARNE for supplying more info. I appreciate it and look forward to other members posting on this thread.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Ummm.... I'm pretty sure that gnose was replying to bpilati's post, not yours. You might want to take a deep breath and re-read what everyone wrote here.

Member ID
    CZCC-4325

Grassrootsmotorsports.com has tested several mufflers and several cat backs also Popular hotrod. If you can find the tests you will who did best. Pipe size is important to understabd so you can get out what you want. I used 2 1/4 with a turbo cherry bomb style muffler with a 280z ANSA tips it sounded good and it run good at low mid and top end. I am not into racing but I like to gain economy and power. Now I have an old style MONSA muffler from pace setter this was made back in the late 70's it sounds great but is to loud I can not listen to the Rolling Stones because is to loud, when I was young yea, now that I am old I want quite.

Member ID
    CZCC-19288

easy gentleman, we're all here to help each other out, thats why we joined. Let's get back to the topic at hand, mufflers.

on that note I was poking around the web and now I'm thinking I'd like to get back to that stacked dual outlet look. Any suggestions?

p.s. thanks for all the input guys, I've got a running list of options that I'm going to have to research deeper and narrow down. I'll post what I find in terms of price, performance and where to find it. Good stuff. keep it comin!
    Last edited by dntpunchgrandpa; 12-27-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-19288

Maytin,

in response to your post I agree with you on the matters of economy and power, and since this car is my primary means of transportation, I'm concerned primarily with those two factors. In terms of how loud it is, I'm a young guy who learned stick in his dad's dodge viper which we frequently track and I have been going NHRA drag races since age 5. soooo.. that being said I dont mind loud too much so long as it sounds GOOD and isnt obnoxious to the point every cop can get out their pen and pad before I round the turn

p.s. you've got good taste in music

'72 240Z(G) 3.2L
    Member ID
    CZCC-7328

Old Hemi - no offense intended as my comments where not directed at you but I do stand by them. The same way I stand by my recommendation for a muffler and all the parts I sell.

If you come up to CT let me know as I drive through there several times a month and know any number of places to hoist a few. As to driving assistance, if you time it right maybe I'll be your instructor at one of the race course tracks in New England (Lime Rock in Ct, Loudon, in NH, The Glen in NY or NJMS in NJ).
    Last edited by gnosez; 12-28-2009 at 06:09 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20605

Gnosez - OK, cool. Sorry on my attack on you. I can understand your frustration. I have been to all of the tracks that you mention plus most of the stock car tracks and Laconia. I am hoping that you come up with some more stuff because i have not found one person knockig your stuff. Your floor rails are mighty tempting. Hey I'll buy the beers! But I wont drink that Sam Adams stuff.........

Mayitin - I want something that is at the same noise level as my old system. I cant remember what the stuff was. But, I did put a Monza on my MGB at 19 years old and it WAS loud. Thanks for reminding me! I hope to hook up with some Houston area Zhedz and review their exhaust systems and see whats what.

'72 240Z(G) 3.2L
    Member ID
    CZCC-7328

Hemi - Race tracks in NE? As a driver? MGs?

Go to www.baddogparts.com, click on "about us" then scroll down on the right side until you get to "video2".

You can get a partial sense of the sound of the Sebring Tuning muffler. You could also call Rebello and ask them to hold the phone near the engine dyno.
    Last edited by gnosez; 12-28-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20605

Gnose - never a driver - spectator or an adhoc crewman at the stockers when I was young and strong. Plainville, Riverside, Stafford, Thompson, Norwood MA, Danbury, New London. Lebanon Valley(Best Food) and Middletown in NY when I wanted to watch some dirt tracking. After observing the cost, commitment of time, education(breaking stuff) to become an owner/driver, I decided that was not for me.
    I had several MGB's, MGA's, a '67 XKE and a '65 AH 3000 in the late 60's and early 70's as DD's before I bought the Z new in '74. I was tired of windscreens, leaky ragtops and useless heaters. The Z's "creature comforts" appealed to me. Of all those British cars, I still regret selling the MGA coupe
    I'll check out the video!

'72 240Z(G) 3.2L
    Member ID
    CZCC-7328

Hemi - it amazing we didn't cross paths at any of those tracks back in the day (my dad and uncles were race fans - the figure 8 at Black Rock, Ct was a favorite). I had Healeys, MGs, Spitfires and finally in '74 stopped by Sharp's and bought a 260. The first sports car that I could actually drive in the rain, at night and across country without breaking down.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Back to the original muffler topic - I've looked into the Sebring and they'd be pretty high on my list if I was looking for a single outlet muffler.

But in my quest to keep my car as period-looking as possible, I've been looking around trying to find a good way to replicate one of the old systems with dual vertical tips, but using modern parts. Would like to end up with something similar to the Abarth in the attached pic.

I recently found a likely candidate in the Magnaflow 11148. Natural finish stainless, small 3.5x7 oval, case length of 14", single 2.25" inlet and dual 2" outlets. Just got an email back from Magnaflow Tech with the last needed dimension - the center to center spacing of the outlets is 2.75". That should be just about perfect for a pair of 2.5" OD tips. I think I've finally picked out my muffler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2009-12-28 at 4.14.57 PM.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	33527  

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

I think you made a good choice with that magnaflow Arne. I just bought the #11378 dual in/dual out for my twice pipe system at a pretty good price from Hottexhaust.com. Free delivery too. I did look up the #11148 on their site and found it listed incorrectly. I think they have the wrong illustration but the rest of the info is correct, but not sure if it is constructed of aluminized steel or matt finish stainless. It would be worthwhile comparing their price. If you could get a few others interested, they will even entertain price offers.

http://www.hottexhaust.com/
    Last edited by geezer; 02-14-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Yeah, I think it'll be a good choice. I also looked at the 12148 (same thing in 5 x 8 oval), but the center to center spacing on the outlets was a full 4". Too much for what I'm trying to replicate.

'72 240Z(G) 3.2L
    Member ID
    CZCC-7328

Arne - did you happen to look at the Sebring 09-RL, the 09B-RL, and 67, and the 08A?

All dual exhausts and some with dual inlets.

Member ID
    CZCC-19288

Arne, Thats exactly what I had in mind, I 'm going to go have a look at the Magnaflow website, and gnosez I looked at some of the dual exhausts like that 08A my only concern is that I dont want the outlet tips to be spaced out too far and awkward looking like what Arne mentioned.

with the sebring 67 its a hefty 22 inches long
    but I am intrigued by 09B

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by gnosez View Post
    Arne - did you happen to look at the Sebring 09-RL, the 09B-RL, and 67, and the 08A?

All dual exhausts and some with dual inlets.
    Sure did. None are period-looking as is, and none would work as needed to mount vertically as the period look requires. Outlet spacing is too wide on the 08A. The 2.5" pipe size is also excessive for a stock L24. Nice looking pieces, though.

Member ID
    CZCC-19498
    308 Palmetto Avenue Melbourne Florida 32901

DNTPUNCHGRANDPA
    I installed a HOOKER 1 in 2 out muffler on my 1970. The sound is deep and throaty and nothing even close to that spurned rice rocket sound. Any good muffler shop can install it without the unsightly under hang. No need to bother the heat shield either. I was able to create an agressive DTM look from behind with 45 degree exhaust tips. A 2 1/2" exhaust fits nicely into it. It sounds really nice at speed as well, not deafening at all.
    CICLISMO

Member ID
    CZCC-19288

Esmit208, thanks for the recommendation! do you have a part number for that hooker muffler you are referring to?

and also, where did you have your muffler mounted?
    Last edited by dntpunchgrandpa; 01-04-2010 at 03:46 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-19288

did some looking and research on mufflers and the correlation with gaining power and whether back-pressure plays an important part in low end power and that not having any back-pressure is actually a detriment. And according to the flowbench the best muffler is no muffler. just food for thought.

heres the link:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

Member ID
    CZCC-18839

Arne, I also have been looking at available parts to build the stacked tip exhaust, but was missing the dual out separation spec on the Magnaflow 11148, thanks for sharing.

I believe the last company to offer this bolt on arrangement for a Z was Monza (Pacesetter) which no longer makes it, they do however still sell the slash cut resonator tips (see link) in various sizes, that as far as I can see in the pics, can be cut to length and welded on the Magnaflow 11148.

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/tips.htm
    '73 - 90%done 90%to go

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285

http://user.streetfire.net/video/197...age_205421.htm

As mentioned, this is my ANSA setup.. hope this link works
    Last edited by Zedyone_kenobi; 01-05-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by giorgio61 View Post
    Arne, I also have been looking at available parts to build the stacked tip exhaust, but was missing the dual out separation spec on the Magnaflow 11148, thanks for sharing.

I believe the last company to offer this bolt on arrangement for a Z was Monza (Pacesetter) which no longer makes it, they do however still sell the slash cut resonator tips (see link) in various sizes, that as far as I can see in the pics, can be cut to length and welded on the Magnaflow 11148.

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/tips.htm
    Lots of sources for resonated tips. Since I don't want yellow on my red car, I've been looking at either Hooker or Hedman tips instead.

We talked about the lack of period exhausts a while back - http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34920

Member ID
    CZCC-20110

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Lots of sources for resonated tips. Since I don't want yellow on my red car, I've been looking at either Hooker or Hedman tips instead.

We talked about the lack of period exhausts a while back - http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34920
    Arne,

I appreciate your research on this subject. In lieu of finding a correct period exhaust, I also thought think it should be entirely possible to cobble together at least a period-looking (and sounding hopefully...) muffler by using a dual-outlet unit and slash-cut resonated tips. I'm particularly interested in what you end up with because I'd also like to use a Magnaflow muffler and use non-yellow tips for my non-yellow car...

Thanks again!

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I'll be getting back to the exhaust as soon as I get the long-running Bolder Tint deal off my plate. Next month, maybe?

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Just to clarify, here's my current plan. I will either re-use my current (modified) stock downpipe, or possibly buy one of the MSA replacements as shipped with their flanged system. Either way I'll start from there with a flange joint to a 2 1/4" pipe with an 18" glass-packed resonator in the transmission tunnel. Another flange joint near the rear crossmember, and into the 'S' pipe which will connect to the dual outlet Magnaflow (#11148). Will probably drive it for a week or two with temporary tips until the glass settles a bit, then decide on either resonated or plain angle-cut tips, depending on the sound and noise level. Pipe will probably be aluminized and with normal (not mandrel) bends.

Member ID
    CZCC-16823

Arne, awesome idea. I'm going to follow your lead and try this out. Most likely i'm going to run with my stock 77 280z piping (which is in great shape) and simply have a shop weld on the magnaflow 11148.

Member ID
    CZCC-4325

That is how I had mine exept that I used a turbo builet muffler and at the end I used the pace setter pipes, but the 280z pipes, I wish they would make just the pipes for the 240Z.

Thread Information