Thread: Jdm exhaust muffler

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

Default Jdm exhaust muffler

Hey guys,

new here. I did a search and still no positive answers, hopefully you can help me out.

I have a stock USDM 73 Datsun 240Z and want a Fujitsubo Super EX header/ Legalis-R muffler. Problem is no one on this side or the other side of the pond can figure out if there will be fitment issues. I understand that the header might not work because of the steering rack, but will the muffler work? I have contacted Fujitsubo japan and also many other tuners and no one knows the answer.

One tuner did suggest that since it was built back in the 70's that there were no emissions and that should mean that there should be no difference in the mufflers. Thanks
    Last edited by surfer.tech; 12-05-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

If it is for the same year, I don't see why not

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

I was thinking that would be a latter muffler setup their is not much room for a large muffler what is the dimensions? About 14" body is about the max leignth that fits. Diameter varies on shape

Edit:
    What look or sound are you going for? A nice glasspack can sound very nice or something that might give you a good look for less maybe??
    Last edited by ajmcforester; 12-06-2010 at 06:15 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

surfer.tech,

I can confirm that this exhaust DOES work. My close friend, who has a gnose 71 240Z, has this exhaust and ordered it from rhdjapan.com. He had a custom mandrel bent flange mated to it so it could be fit to the MSA header. Other than that, the exhaust fits perfect and sound. Do consider however that you may not want to purchase it for an overly LOW car though, as it does tend to hang a tad low. Let me also say, this is by my opinion, the BEST sounding exhaust on a early Z car. The dual pipes release a solid, NON-DRONING, sound at low and high rpm's.

I can get a picture of the exhaust on his car for you. I'll ask him.
    Last edited by spitz17; 12-06-2010 at 09:53 AM.
    '72 Fairlady 240Z-L - HS30-10052, Imported in 1973 from Yokota Airbase
    '70 240Z - HLS30-19927, History in SCCA CP & Trans-Am, ICSCC CIP, IMSA GTU
    '77 Porsche 930 Turbo Carrera - Black on black
    '13 Subaru BRZ Limited - Daily Driver

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Quote Originally Posted by spitz17 View Post
    surfer.tech,

I can confirm that this exhaust DOES work. My close friend, who has a gnose 71 240Z, has this exhaust and ordered it from rhdjapan.com. He had a custom mandrel bent flange mated to it so it could be fit to the MSA header. Other than that, the exhaust fits perfect and sound. Do consider however that you may not want to purchase it for an overly LOW car though, as it does tend to hang a tad low. Let me also say, this is by my opinion, the BEST sounding exhaust on a early Z car. The dual pipes release a solid, NON-DRONING, sound at low and high rpm's.

If he's the guy with a sort of dark red colored Z and Wats, I know who you're talking about. That car looks and sounds fantastic!

Member ID
    CZCC-18904

Quote Originally Posted by LeonV View Post
    If he's the guy with a sort of dark red colored Z and Wats, I know who you're talking about. That car looks and sounds fantastic!
    It is, and it does sound awesome. Glenn is right though, it does hang a bit low. He is on coilovers though so his car is pretty low
    -Andy
    1973 HLS30-166105
    RB20DET swap, HKS GT2530 turbo, HKS Actuator, Hallman MBC, ebay intake manifold, ebay dump pipe, straight pipe, 14 psi boost

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

surfer.tech,

That would be awsome if you can grab some pics. We are having trouble confirming fitment but if he has them on his car then it should be all good.

I think I am going to try and fit the Fujitsubo SUPER EX headers on there as well. Has anyone tried the header?

My car is only lowered on springs, hopefully I wont bottom out with the muffler. I will update when I order it. Thanks Guys.

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

I do not know if the headers will work on the car...

I am pretty sure you will be fine... he is running pretty ridiculously "bosozoku-style" low. Pictures attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(3).JPG 
Views:	2525 
Size:	315.5 KB 
ID:	39509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(4).JPG 
Views:	1960 
Size:	376.6 KB 
ID:	39510  

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

That's the one! It definitely is sweet sounding, especially with the triples.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

spitz17, Thanks for the pics. Made up my mind. going to track down the exhuast. I will post a thread when I get it mocked. Any more other info would be great.

Member ID
    CZCC-18904

Quote Originally Posted by surfer.tech View Post
    My car is only lowered on springs, hopefully I wont bottom out with the muffler. I will update when I order it. Thanks Guys.
    It's really the middle muffler (resonator?) that hangs low. The muffler and tips look great but the middle pipe is just low

Glenn, when is he putting the bigger wats on? It's looking good
    -Andy
    1973 HLS30-166105
    RB20DET swap, HKS GT2530 turbo, HKS Actuator, Hallman MBC, ebay intake manifold, ebay dump pipe, straight pipe, 14 psi boost

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

He put the wats on already Andy It looks aweeeeesomeee....

surfertech - no problem! good luck~!!

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

I can't wait to see it on your car take pictures of the installation, I've looked at this header it is so nice (you better not scratch it). If I ever find my rear resonators for my vintage Supersprint exhaust will haft to compare exhaust tones.

By the way it was mentioned a triple carb setup are you going to run stock carbs or a different setup. You are going to be able to push more volume with that setup. If you are going stock intake don't go over 2.25" pipe the car will not scavenge properly at low RPMs and you will louse some low end power if you go larger.

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Quote Originally Posted by ajmcforester View Post
    If you are going stock intake don't go over 2.25" pipe the car will not scavenge properly at low RPMs and you will louse some low end power if you go larger.
    Not true, this is not documented to have ever happened and is just internet myth. People love repeating "backpressure" and "lose low end" but no one actually reasons why that would be true or false.

Here is one thread that discusses this: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/...metic-for-you/

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

OK their are a lot of miss under standing out their on how exhaust systems work. I even heard that tuned headers use the sound waves to aid in the flow of air.

A well laid exhaust will help in flow, diameter can have an effect on power. lets look at nothing which acts like maximum diameter you will loose power exhaust leaks do the same thing the closer to the engine you are. The ideal setup is to have the pipe expand and gets wider over its length at a set radius. This will help create a flow dynamic that aids in moving the exhaust. This is something I experienced using an exhaust manifold and 2.75" pipe it was slow off the bottom end as the car got into the higher RPM it was faster. I reduced the pipe diameter to 2.25 and the car started faster, but didn't accelerate faster at the higher RPM. Weather this is scavenging or some other affect it is the case.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

Ok to clear everything for everyone. This will be my plan. I did talk to another member who does have the fujitsubo Super EX header and it WILL fit a USDM Z. I will combine that with the Legalis-R muffler. So it will be a complete exhaust unit.
    I will be keeping my L24 unit and want to use a triple mikuni setup.

The piping will be whatever size the fujitsubo supplies.
    Last edited by surfer.tech; 12-08-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

OK their are a lot of miss under standing out their on how exhaust systems work. I even heard that tuned headers use the sound waves to aid in the flow of air.

A well laid exhaust will help in flow, diameter can have an effect on power. lets look at nothing which acts like maximum diameter you will loose power exhaust leaks do the same thing the closer to the engine you are. The ideal setup is to have the pipe expand and gets wider over its length at a set radius. This will help create a flow dynamic that aids in moving the exhaust. This is something I experienced using an exhaust manifold and 2.75" pipe it was slow off the bottom end as the car got into the higher RPM it was faster. I reduced the pipe diameter to 2.25 and the car started faster, but didn't accelerate faster at the higher RPM. Weather this is scavenging or some other affect it is the case.
    This is all anecdotal evidence from your "butt dyno." There is no concrete evidence here. I'm not sure if you read that link, but removing the exhaust pipe will gain power! Look at TonyD's dyno test results in that thread. There's no denying actual proof.

FYI, exhaust and intake tuning is done by pressure pulses, you can call them sound waves, it's really all in the thread I linked. I don't want to clutter up this thread, I just want to point out the myth and that people should not limit their exhaust diameter because of internet anecdotes. The smaller the diameter and the higher the velocity, the more frictional losses you have which equals a loss in power.

OP, post up a vid when you're done, it should sound nice!
    Last edited by LeonV; 12-08-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

Look the first thing I mentioned about sound is example of how confused people can get, not fact.

Second I stated you do get higher power on the top end, so yes you can get more. Yet he did not give from start so it is hard to comment on that part and what other mods did he have from stock. I'm sorry you think my test was out of my butt. I might not have had HP and torque numbers and I didn't mention we had set distances with stop watches. That might not be the most accurate, but it can give you a general idea if you went backwards.

The reason I went down to a 2.25" is several people that had worked on these cars since the early 70's had found that out with the 240Z and they had a higher diameter recommendation for the 280Z. This is not exact and their are things you can do to improve flow in the pipe design.

Those guys from that sight you posted explained a point I also made that a pipe that expands in diameter can help flow. That is what the horn like exhaust systems do. The exhaust does need some length, but not the length of the car. That is to aid and vector the exhaust away from the engine. A great example of needing some length is the Ford GT40, they could have dumped it straight out the side, but they made what was later called the web exhaust do to how tangled it was to cram the piping in.

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

Ok to clear everything for everyone. This will be my plan. I did talk to another member who does have the fujitsubo Super EX header and it WILL fit a USDM Z. I will combine that with the Legalis-R muffler. So it will be a complete exhaust unit.
    I will be keeping my L24 unit and want to use a triple mikuni setup.

The piping will be whatever size the fujitsubo supplies.
    What size Mikuni's are you looking at? That is an expensive and really nice setup. I wish I could ask more but the time tells me I need to leave to meet the Chinese delegates at work.

Member ID
    CZCC-8202

I though Nissan discovered the optimum exhaust size on an L24 was something like 4" back in the early 70's...one reason the BRE cars had twin pipes with trumpets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fifehHKMJ4E
    Last edited by Matt K; 12-09-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: added link

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Look the first thing I mentioned about sound is example of how confused people can get, not fact.

Second I stated you do get higher power on the top end, so yes you can get more. Yet he did not give from start so it is hard to comment on that part and what other mods did he have from stock. I'm sorry you think my test was out of my butt. I might not have had HP and torque numbers and I didn't mention we had set distances with stop watches. That might not be the most accurate, but it can give you a general idea if you went backwards.

The reason I went down to a 2.25" is several people that had worked on these cars since the early 70's had found that out with the 240Z and they had a higher diameter recommendation for the 280Z. This is not exact and their are things you can do to improve flow in the pipe design.
    Not only do you get power in the top end with a bigger pipe, you get it everywhere along the curve. ITS guys with essentially stock engines run 3 inch pipes, they don't lose anything. Look at Tony's dyno results. Properly sized exhaust pipes will not lose any power, but the proper exhaust diameter for an engine is a lot bigger than people think. From Tony's example, proper diameter for his 2L engine were twin 2.5 inch pipes. This is for a 2L engine!

Those guys from that sight you posted explained a point I also made that a pipe that expands in diameter can help flow. That is what the horn like exhaust systems do. The exhaust does need some length, but not the length of the car. That is to aid and vector the exhaust away from the engine. A great example of needing some length is the Ford GT40, they could have dumped it straight out the side, but they made what was later called the web exhaust do to how tangled it was to cram the piping in.
    Collector tuning is a completely different subject and exactly what I am getting at. Yes the exhaust does need to be a certain length, I'm not debating that point.

This tuning is dependent upon valve timing, exhaust temps, and tube length. It is done by calculating the time it takes for pressure waves to reflect at discontinuities in the piping and return before the valve closes, effectively scavenging more gases than otherwise possible. The pressure wave reflection bandwidth is increased with a megaphone placed at the right spot in the system, thus expanding the rpms in which an extra scavenging effect occurs.

Now, with a properly done collector for your system, you need to size an exhaust to go all the way to the back of the car and release the gases. This size is bigger than 2.25 inches on a 240Z as shown by many people that have actually dyno tested and compared results.

Here is a dyno sheet from zhome showing a comparison of a 2.5 inch and 3 inch exhaust on an essentially stock L24 revving to 6500rpm. Notice there is no difference between the two. This means that the pipe has been sized correctly. Especially put your attention to the fact that there are NO low end losses when going to a bigger pipe.

The Ford GT40 is totally different subject altogether and apples to oranges if you're trying to compare to a Z. The GT40 has a dual plane crankshaft, where the firing order is uneven (2 from one bank, then 2 from the other. In order to aid scavenging, it utilizes "180 degree" headers which switch the collectors into which one cylinder from each bank route to. Thus the pulses in the exhaust system were even from left to right, and the next cylinder that releases it's burned gases is scavenged properly. The L6 does not need this as it has one bank of cylinders which also fires evenly from the front three to the rear three.

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

Now I was using a stock non-emissions exhaust manifold, wasn't Tony using headers. Maybe the headers provide the proper distance and diameter needed for the engine to get proper flow. looking at the difference from 2.5-3" their is none on his graph they pulled the same. Now I would not say from two different sizes that their is no impact based on size, I'd say on 2L engine that their would be no impact from size 2.5"-3". I hope you would agree that you can't make an inferences on the differences diameters create on power with only two data points to compare. All I can confer, understanding that if we went infinitely small the car won't run so their would be some type of curve, maybe it peaks maybe not their is not enough data to confer that.

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Now I was using a stock non-emissions exhaust manifold, wasn't Tony using headers. Maybe the headers provide the proper distance and diameter needed for the engine to get proper flow.
    The manifold you use has no effect on what the rest of the system does. That's a moot point.

By the way, the results I posted are from a stock 240Z with stock exhaust manifold.

If you have a long exhaust pipe hooked up to your manifold after the collector, you will be losing torque unless the pipe is big enough. What the headers will do is increase power over the stock manifold as they generally scavenge a bit better. There are dyno results on this as well.

looking at the difference from 2.5-3" their is none on his graph they pulled the same. Now I would not say from two different sizes that their is no impact based on size, I'd say on 2L engine that their would be no impact from size 2.5"-3". I hope you would agree that you can't make an inferences on the differences diameters create on power with only two data points to compare. All I can confer, understanding that if we went infinitely small the car won't run so their would be some type of curve, maybe it peaks maybe not their is not enough data to confer that.
    Exactly! No difference going from 2.5 inch to 3 inch. That means there is no loss of low end when going with a bigger pipe. Why does it matter whether it's a 2L or a 2.4L? How else can you analyze those results? I don't understand why you can't accept the truth that dyno testing lays out, running the same car, same dyno, and only changing exhaust diameter.

As shown in many dyno tests that once you choose the proper size, you don't gain (or lose!) anything from going bigger. Well you do lose something going bigger than necessary, and that is ground clearance.

Two data points? There are two curves generated, one with 2.5 inch and the other with 3 inch pipe. Plus, other dyno results point to the same thing. This is a heck of a lot more than "two data points."

Two data points would be, say, torque at 4000rpm and 6000rpm. Yes, I agree that if we only had two points to work with then more testing needs to be done. But we have two dyno curves (large collection of data points) from the same car and dyno. I don't see why you or anybody else should still be in denial about this. I understand it is hard to accept something that is contrary to your beliefs, but this is hard evidence. If you can point me to valid dyno results that prove your point, then I will say that it may have some truth to it. But I have never seen results that show that, with everything else held constant, a smaller pipe makes more torque anywhere in the torque curve.

I've discussed many aspects of engine design with a former Formula 1 engineer and he would corroborate the points that I am making, if that makes any difference to anyone. Yes, it's not a Z engine, but it's a 4-cycle engine operating on the same exact principles.

I hate to be cluttering up this thread, but I hope that this is informative to at least one person so that I'm not just listening to myself talk (type?).

Member ID
    CZCC-18992

Quote Originally Posted by LeonV View Post
    That's the one! It definitely is sweet sounding, especially with the triples.
    I would love to hear how it sounds. Is there a youtube video anywhere on the web of the Legalis-R system or where you able to hear it in person?

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

I heard it in person, not sure if he has a video up anywhere. Maybe some of the other Bay Area guys may have more info.

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

He is parting out his car, and it is going on my Fairlady

Dando's Automotive is doing some final fitting on it for me, as when I put it on it didn't bolt up too well due to my header.

I'll be sure to update and post a youtube when it's done!

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Well there you go! Why is he parting it out?

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

He has other priorities with his '68 Mini and wants to get a DD that he can rely on to drive 80 miles a day hahaha...

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

I didn't know he had a Mini! That car seems way too nice to part out though.

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

You should see his Mini His Z is very nice, classic Japanese Retro Modding! His Mini is fully track built with a Civic Type R Custom setup... I think it does around 150-200hp, and pulls very hard on the track. He has to constantly keep that car up to maintanence... so it just makes sense for him to have a DD he can rely on to start up every day

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

Where are you in the Bay Area, Leon?

You should come out to the end of the month Starbucks meets, or ZONC meets if close enough... Assuming you don't already.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

The sale price they have right now for the Legalis-R muffler is not too bad at all. The shipping price made me say ouch but I could shake that off too. Wonder what the other charges would be at the door? Group buy possible? It should bolt right up to my Trust header, which by the way does fit beautifully on a LHD. Looking at the illustration and comparing it with my original Fairlady Z twice pipe, it looks like a direct bolt on.

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

Yea, from what I hear it is a direct bolt on to the Trust header. I was a little concerned about exhaust diameter with my stock motor, but after seeing LeonV's explanation I feel a lot better about doing this modification. I think the base price of the exhaust is around $800-900 and shipping is a whopping $300 or so!

The quality of this exhaust is uncomparable... excellent welds and awesome sounding. Fujitsubo never fails to impress!

I know several people on this forum who have had headaches getting the sizing down for a custom twin tip STACKED exhaust... Measurements of ID, OD, and distances between tips is a hassle for anyone who does not want to put the effort in. This exhaust is definitely a viable option.
    Last edited by spitz17; 12-17-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

A quick snap of the exhaust installed on my Fairlady... needs a little adjustment as stated previously. I apologise for the horrible phone camera quality.

Name:	Fujitsubo.jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	39639  
    Last edited by spitz17; 12-17-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

I know several people on this forum who have had headaches getting the sizing down for a custom twin tip STACKED exhaust... Measurements of ID, OD, and distances between tips is a hassle for anyone who does not want to put the effort in. This exhaust is definitely a viable option.
    That is why I have been hanging on to this piece, in the hopes of eventually replicating the entire system...but I don't think that is going to happen. That particular project got put on the back burner. With the availability of the Legalis-R system and the fact that it is so much better than what I could hope to replicate, I agree about it being a viable option. The original isn't stainless, doesn't have nice mandrel bends. Can you tell I'm trying to talk myself into it! My finger was hovering over the "add to cart" button until I figured I'd better give it some more thought. I'm just too darned impulsive. Thats why I've got a dedicated stock room for Z parts.
    Last edited by geezer; 02-14-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

Hahah I have had many instances where I had my mouse "hovering over the buy it now button." At least you are the first to admit you're impulsive, took me awhile before I admit that about myself. But trust me, once that nicely packaged Fujitsubo Legalis-R is sitting on your front porch... you will be smiling like NO other

The sound is absolutely beautiful too...

Were you looking to buy it off RHDJapan.com?
    Last edited by spitz17; 12-17-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Were you looking to buy it off RHDJapan.com?
    They have the best price I have seen, so far. I think the sale price expiry date is coming up fast.
    Oh the pressure is building....my forefinger is quivering uncontrolably!

Edit: I couldn't help myself, its on the way!
    Last edited by geezer; 12-17-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

^ since your in canada, I can ask my Fuji Dealer to get you a quote. He is quoting me from 1099 for the muffler and 100 shipping from Van to Calgary.

and spitz17 can you get us a video of the muffler? thanks

Member ID
    CZCC-3193

Hi,

If some one wants twin pipes but does not want to replace an original header,
    here is the option from Nissan as an OEM exhaust system.Do not know the part number.
    Of cource LHD 240Z can have it , just bolt on it.

kats

Name:	rworks1990-img600x450-1241007675fspuhy78999.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	39670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rworks1990-img600x450-1241007689kewvyw79011.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	39671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rworks1990-img600x450-1241007703wwqxba79139.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	39672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	id0084898208-img600x450-1214723620mtyevh97996.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	39673  
    Last edited by kats; 12-17-2010 at 05:34 PM.
    Katsuhiko Endo
    1970 DATSUN 240Z
    HLS30-02156 (03/70)
    L24-005562

1970 FAIRLADY Z432
    PS30-00088 (01/70)
    S20-000884

1972 DATSUN 240Z
    HLS30-60213 (12/71)
    L24-072419

JAPAN
    Welcome to my web site,
    http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Quote Originally Posted by kats View Post
    Hi,

here is the option from Nissan as an OEM exhaust system.Do not know the part number.

kats
    I would love to add that to my 280z. it would really do wonders to open the engine up a bit. Where'd you get that mate?

Jan
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

Quote Originally Posted by kats View Post
    Hi,

kats
    kats I wished to find one do you know one for sale??? pm

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

^ since your in canada, I can ask my Fuji Dealer to get you a quote. He is quoting me from 1099 for the muffler and 100 shipping from Van to Calgary.

and spitz17 can you get us a video of the muffler? thanks
    I ordered the Fujitsubo Legalis-R from RHDJapan.com. It totalled $1291.08 to me here in South Western Ontario so that's comparable, considering the extra shipping distance. It was $938.92 on sale with $352.16 shipping.

One more thing crossed off the list.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

^ well, since you ordered yours first, you BETTER post pics and vids first lol.

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

I would have put money Ron would beat you to the punch. When his finger twitched that was the end

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

HaHa! If you want a vid, I'll have to play it like the alpenhorn in the Ricola commercials, 'cause the car isn't ready for it yet.
    I'll post up some pics though, then put it on top of the pile, until needed. I've actually been considering an OEM replacement from Nissan or one of these for quite some time and this thread just helped me decide which way to go.

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

Ron,

Glad to hear you picked it up I look forward to hearing it on your car as well... I want to see how it sounds with the Trust muffler, as mine is a MSA header.

I just found out my car has a frozen valve in the head :*( It'll be awhile before I can get a video up. Ron just might beat me to it...

Member ID
    CZCC-18904

He is parting out his car, and it is going on my Fairlady

Dando's Automotive is doing some final fitting on it for me, as when I put it on it didn't bolt up too well due to my header.

I'll be sure to update and post a youtube when it's done!
    He is parting it out after all that work!!?? wow...
    -Andy
    1973 HLS30-166105

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Here's a couple of pics as promised and the link requested.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/fujitsubo-le...s30-hs30-63314

I have never seen such a high standard of production work on any exhaust system as these! I think that is a good price for what you are getting. The shipping is what hurts.
    Last edited by geezer; 02-14-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Here's a couple of pics as promised and the link requested.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/fujitsubo-le...s30-hs30-63314

I have never seen such a high standard of production work on any exhaust system as these! I think that is a good price for what you are getting. The shipping is what hurts.
    I guess to match the exhaust you will need billet rims, looks very nice

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

I guess to match the exhaust you will need billet rims, looks very nice
    Thanks, I have a set of Watanabe wheels but it would be nice to have another type to change it up once in a while.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

Thanks for the pics! now have it mounted. You should get the Work Meister to match your exhaust lol
    I am ordering mine in March. I will update as well.

How much was shipping?

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Thanks, I have a set of Watanabe wheels but it would be nice to have another type to change it up once in a while.
    I loved my Colorado Customs I had on my last Z.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Thanks for the pics! now have it mounted. You should get the Work Meister to match your exhaust lol
    I am ordering mine in March. I will update as well.

How much was shipping?
    $352.16 with another $51.00 at the door for the taxman. That's more than I've paid in the past for destination charges on a new car! I think they padded the shipping charges to make up for the sale price.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

Post pics when mounted please. According to fijuitsubo japan, this muffler will not fit our Z cars. I find it very hard pressed to believe that this is true and would love to send them pics to prove otherwise.

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

It fits :P but header -> exhaust pipes will need custom flanges unless you use a JDM trust muffler or something of the sort.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

Anywhere to get the trust headers new?

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

Here are some pics for you guys

Had a custom flange welded to the exhaust to fit onto an MSA 6-1 Header. I'll post those detailed pictures later.

Name:	Copy of IMG_6362.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	40463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6353 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	40464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6354 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	40465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6355 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	2887 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	40466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6357 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	40467  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6360 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	40468  

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Nice fit, Looks great!

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

beautiful pictures spitz. Is it me or does your bumper take away from the muffler? something seems out of place.

do you have any video of the sound?

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

Bump!

I just saw some pictures of the 432 and it seems that Fujitsubo supplied the exhaust muffler, twin tipped. Could this possibly the Legalis-R that we are looking at?

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

surfer.tech,

Sorry I did not see your message earlier. There has been no modifications to my bumper. The Fairlady did not come with the two vertical bumpers that bolt onto the bumper, seen on the USDM 240Z, since the Japanese market did not have such stringent collision protection requirements. Unfortunately, I do not have a video yet, as it has been raining the last few days and the vehicle has been in and out of the shop. I will try to post one in the coming weeks.

The Fujitsubo Legalis R is actually a copy of the 432 exhaust, except a bit wider in it's ID and OD.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

I do not know if the headers will work on the car...

I am pretty sure you will be fine... he is running pretty ridiculously "bosozoku-style" low. Pictures attached.
    It's wonderful that it sounds cool, but does it perform? How much does it cost?
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-23299

wow... I had seen that maroon g-nose on craigslist and was going to buy it a while back but the ad disappeared... so sad. And now I find that the car is here, after buying another car. Oh well....

Back on topic, I'm also in for a video clip, I've tried searching for this exhaust on youtube to no avail. I'm quite curious how it sounds.
    Please visit and join my blog!
    http://hungry4horsepower.com/

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

Default Video

Here you guys go It was kinda cold out

Click blog in signature for more
    Last edited by spitz17; 02-19-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

SICK!! Love it.

Member ID
    CZCC-18992

Spitz17, thanks for posting pics and videos. It sure does look and sound sweet. After seeing them I am now even more torn between ordering the Fujitsubo exhaust or a Kakimoto Hyper80 setup. Here's a vid of the Kakimoto system that got me hooked on how it sounds:

After looking at the fitment guide and specs on the rhdjapan link I wonder if the Fujitsubo system would still be suitable with a L stroker engine or even a modded L28?

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

I think it will take a little more than a muffler system to reproduce the sound of the above car - that engine bay is loaded with a lot of engine - carbs - headers - enlarged pistons - over bored walls - did I say a lot of air....oh yea - there was a muffler system as well. I would have to say most of the exhaust note was from the massive amount of air produced by those "triple carbs"! It did sound great though but expensive to re-produce.
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-18992

spitz17, anyway we can get a drive-by video?

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

I'll try to upload one for you guys by this weekend

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Here you guys go
    SWEEEET!!

Member ID
    CZCC-23299

wow that sounds pretty good!
    Please visit and join my blog!
    http://hungry4horsepower.com/

Member ID
    CZCC-18992

I find myself liking more and more the Fujitsubo exhaust. I might just have to take advantage of the sale on rhdjapan and order one next month.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

^ they look more period correct than the Kakimoto one. The Kakimoto looks a bit ricer to me.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

bump! Got My Kameari header in. Soon to mount it to the Fujitsubo Legalis-R. Will post pics.
    HLS30137283

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

Looking forward to seeing them!

Member ID
    CZCC-18992

I finally did order the Fujitsubo exhaust a few months back and it was a painless process ordering it from rhdjapan. Only took 3 weeks to get it. I was very impressed by the quality and it looks amazing...I will let the pics speak for themselves.

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	342.9 KB 
ID:	48336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	346.1 KB 
ID:	48337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	376.5 KB 
ID:	48338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	372.4 KB 
ID:	48339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	48340  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	48341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	331.5 KB 
ID:	48342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	48343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	348.4 KB 
ID:	48344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	390.8 KB 
ID:	48345  

Member ID
    CZCC-18992

3 more.

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	422.4 KB 
ID:	48348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	447.6 KB 
ID:	48349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	394.6 KB 
ID:	48350  
    Last edited by SSS-S30; 10-02-2011 at 01:16 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-18992

surfer.tech, I bet the Kameari header looks like a piece of art.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

Quote Originally Posted by SSS-S30 View Post
    surfer.tech, I bet the Kameari header looks like a piece of art.
    To tell the truth, the Kameari peice is very nice BUT it is not as nice the Fujitsubo unit. I got the Mild Steel header which does not look as nice as the stainless steel version, cost 3/4 of the price. The welds are real nice! If I were to do it again I would buy the stainless version, to match the Fujitsubo unit. Install is on Monday, pics will follow.
    HLS30137283

Member ID
    CZCC-18992

To tell the truth, the Kameari peice is very nice BUT it is not as nice the Fujitsubo unit. I got the Mild Steel header which does not look as nice as the stainless steel version, cost 3/4 of the price. The welds are real nice! If I were to do it again I would buy the stainless version, to match the Fujitsubo unit. Install is on Monday, pics will follow.
    Did you go with the Kameari header over the Fujitsubo unit due to performance or LHD compatibility? I saw your post from earlier where you said someone confirmed that the Fujitsubo header does fit LHD S30's. Just want to make sure the Fujitsubo unit will still fit because I planned on getting it eventually.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

Quote Originally Posted by SSS-S30 View Post
    Did you go with the Kameari header over the Fujitsubo unit due to performance or LHD compatibility? I saw your post from earlier where you said someone confirmed that the Fujitsubo header does fit LHD S30's. Just want to make sure the Fujitsubo unit will still fit because I planned on getting it eventually.
    Yes I did go with Kameari because 1. LHD 2. Maximum power gains 3. JDM mentality, (was going to order the Nissan motorsports header but they never replied back)

As the fujitusubo header, I will clear this up now. As far as I know It will NOT fit our LHD cars. A member on here told me It would but only showed on pic and no details. The picture was of a stainless steel header on a LHD car clearing the steering rack. I email that same picture to glenn and Fujitsubo to double check. Glenn who has the full Fujitsubo unit on his car RHD fairlady says they are different. Fujitsubo emailed back saying that their headers have stamps etched on the flange which the header in the picture did not.

Glenn also states that the Fujitsubo Super-ex header will most likely hit the steering column with 6th pipe. I also had a local Z guru confirm the same. I contacted Fujitsubo Japan and they stated that their header will not fit LHD cars, but the TRUST header might. Fujitsubo also did mention that their are so many generic headers in Japan for the S30 and some of them might fit LHD cars.

So that brings me to TRUST/GReddy USA. They have 2 S30s. TRUST makes headers for the L-series engines. Two for the L24. They are both different. One is for our L24 S30 and the other is for the L24 skyline. TR is the model, discontinued. Greddy could not confirm fitment so I left it at that. A member GEEZER on here has a TRUST header that clears his LHD rack. I could not find anymore information on it.

My last option was out of Japan. It would be built to order and would clear for LHD fitment. Spirit garage Japan. Beautiful, and can be mated to the twin tipped of the Fujtisubo or you can order the spirit garage matching twin tipped.

In the end I went with Kameari (but it's really expensive. Price wise their mild steel header costs more than the Fujitsubo stainless) They had a US distributor, they can garunteed fitment, and they spoke English which made things a lot easier. Service was quick and easy. I received the header within 10 days which included shipping from Japan!!!

Sorry for the long reply. That's pretty much all the info I gathered on this JDM header fitment search.
    HLS30137283

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

Oh, and to answer your question on if the Super-ex header and the legalis-r and fitment on L28/ stroked L series engine. Yes it will bolt up. Glenn has a stroked rebello engine with his Fujitsubo units.
    HLS30137283

Member ID
    CZCC-18992

I appreciate the valuable info you posted and for researching into the Fujitsubo header. It would have sucked to find out it wouldn't have fit. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Now if only somebody would post a drive-by video.

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

UPDATE: Well, as with these old cars, nothing ever goes as planned. Me and Zkars (Jim K) spent a good 5 hours today on the install. My biggest concern was the Kameari Drag header fitment. It went in painlessly. Clears the steering rack and makes a beautiful sound. BUT it does not work with SU carbs, like the US distributor said it would. Jim rigged up the SU's to work temporary, to get me home. We did test fit triple Mikuni's and the fit on like a charm but that's for another time.

Next came up the Fujitsubo Legalis-R muffler. The mid-pipe bolted up to the header with little fuss. The Mid-pipe is a VERY tight fit in the transmission tunnel. And now comes the problem. With the mid-pipe being so tight, the rear tail pipe won't bolt up to the flange. The main problem is the twin pipes hit the rear diff plate. I do not know the problem as of yet. We think it could be a result of a few things : 1. My engine mounts are pretty beat, so it could affect the angle of the engine and the way it lines up the muffler.
    2. The transmission tunnel can be "massaged" to widen it and make some room. 3. Remove/modify the rear diff plate. Most likely I will try option 1 and 3.

As of right now, I am driving with the header and the mid-pipe installed. It's LOUD but only temporary until next week until I have some spare time. Power wise, My butt dyno says I have lost some low end till 2500. From there it starts to fly, its like a completely different car. The sound at 4000-6500 is Amazing. Simply Amazing.

I have pictures of the install, but I don't know how to upload on here. More like I am lazy, if anyone needs pictures send me a PM and I will email them.
    HLS30137283

Member ID
    CZCC-12190

Its not often that I'm star stuck with automotive "flash", but this stuff is just plain purdy.... Maybe its the incredible build quality that attracts me. Just a few hours of nip here, tuck there and all will be well.

Now somehow I must surpress feelings of "must have..." Just have to remember I won't be the one polishing that SS to keep it purdy...
    Last edited by zKars; 10-11-2011 at 08:22 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Jim
    73 240Z HLS30 149331
    69 510 PL510 77603

www.zKars.com
    www.calgaryzclub.ca
    Reference materials
    www.xenonS30.com

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

Second update: Met up at the "Calgary Z car" garage. Got the full exhaust on and mounted and solved the fitment problem. The exhuast is on and she sounds great!! So smooth. I regained the low end I lost by installing that tailpipe. The engine mounts gave us the clearance to mount the tailpipe.

The fitment is VERY tight. My twin pipes are resting on the rear control arm, just barely. It does not vibrate the car or anything. One note, one of the exhaust hangers on the muffler was cut due to it hitting the car.

Also, the Kameari header coated paint has started to peel already. Been only 2 runs with the car.

Maybe Jim can post up some pictures. I'll try and post some pics in a bit.
    HLS30137283

Member ID
    CZCC-20365

quick photos for now. Sorry, they are on the Iphone and somehow upside down? lol

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	48869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	48868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(2).jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	48870  
    HLS30137283

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

If anyone else decides to get this exhaust. I have a MSA 6-1 header that was modified to fit the Fujitsubo

Member ID
    CZCC-7879

If anyone else decides to get this exhaust. I have a MSA 6-1 header that was modified to fit the Fujitsubo
    I need one. ^_^

Thread Information