Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R-T diff mount Group Buy

240Z Elec. Upgrade guy Zs-ondabrain's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Default R/T diff mount Group Buy

This Group Buy is for the Over the diff mount currently known as the "R/T Mount" That is typically sold on HybridZ.org by a great member named RoostMonkey. I've chosen to make and sell the Mount, not for a profit of any real amount, but as a secondary option to those who cannot find him, or wait for him to build them and ship them.

I asked him about patents and such and got this for an answer....

"No, I dont have a patent. Actually I used Ron Tyler's basic design ( hence the name " RT mount" ) with his permission and added my own little details to make what I feel is a slightly cleaner product. Theres nothing to stop someone from doing the same. If your thinking of making these, do us all a favor and make them better ( if possible ).Dont just copy this design. I only do this to help you guys out and to put a little cash in the Z fund."

So In Honor of Ron Tyler and his original design, I will keep the R/T Mount name on the product, to make sure the originator gets his due respect and recognition. So here we go.........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This Group Buy is for the R/T Mount for the S30 Zcars.

Here's a link to some great info on the R/T Mount.. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35995

The mount is a 3/16" mild steel mount that bolts to the body of the S30, using the 4 bolt holes that the "Diff Strap" normally uses.

Normally, the stock or upgraded diff of the S30 (R180, R200 & LSD) is mounted to the car using the stock crossmember and a rubber/steel mount. The Nissan mount has been well known for failing under heavy stress, age or Horsepower, by means of the rubber seperating from the steel of the OEM mount. When this happens, the Diff typically makes a Loud and very apparent "THUD" against the driveline tunnel, scaring or irritating the driver and leaving only the Mustache bar to hold the diff in place. Not very safe at all.

The R/T mount will allow the use of a GM Transmission Poly Urethane Mount and also lower the front of the diff by about 1" which is typically better for those who use the Tranny's bolted to an LS1, SR20DET, RB25, 26 and 30 DET and DETT's as well the Borg/Warner T5 and T56 trannies.

The R/T mount, sold by me, will be $60 and shipping inside the Continental US is included in the $60 price.

The Mount sold at HybridZ is $55 or $62 w/ PayPal. I don't work for a Metal Fab business so I don't get the opportunity of an in-house price. I will make barely anything on this project as I will be paying much more for the same mount and covering the price of shipping, fuel and packaging/stuffing, using the $60 payment.

So as per RoostMonkey's suggestion and my own personal experience, I will be IMPROVING the mount. The fuel lines have to be raised on almost all S30's by about 1/2". The NEW Design will include a modification to the mount to account for this small issue. 2 more bends will be added to the design, giving the mount a 3/4"w X 1"deep indent on the upper right hand side of the mount, to allow the fuel lines to remain in their stock location, without alteration or modification of their original position.

YOU WILL NEED TO ORDER A GM TRANS MOUNT FROM JEGS FOR $21+S/H and drill out the mounting holes a little bit to allow the large diff bolts to pass thru it **Pics Below** It is a "Fail Safe Mount" so even if the Urethane rips or seperates, the mount will NOT fail.

It has also been pointed out by a few members that a bump stop can used instead of the GM mount. This will allow the use of the stock mount and a bump stop mounted on the R/T mount, to essentially "Sandwich" the diff. This will eliminate both up and down movement of the diff.

Now the down side...... I do NOT have a PayPal Account I can only accept Cash, USPS Postal Money Orders or WalMart Money Orders Made out to David W. Irwin. Send your Payment with your order stating.........

Your Name
    Return Address (clearly printed or typed)
    Quantity

Mail your order to me at........

David W. Irwin
    6421 105th St. NE
    Marysville, WA. 98270

You can PM or Email me your request but money and an order in my hand, is what will get you your mount.

Todays date is Nov 10, 2009. I'm told that I will possibly be able to start shipping orders by next Wednesday, the 18th. Or maybe even sooner if possible. I'm ordering a batch of 50 in hopes of taking care of everyone at the general moment. I'll be on a net 30 so if you said you WANT one, and change your mind, it'll come out of my pocket. So please be kind to this somewhat broke individual and don't tell me you want one, then say, maybe? or next month. At a measily price of $60, you'll get a quality product that will bolt into your S30, improve the mounting of your stock diff, allow you to "up" your HP without worry of a torn mount.

I think I've covered everything. So feel free to start sending me your orders and payment and I will start shipping them out hopefully as soon as the 18th.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RT mount  on the diff..jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	32730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0725.JPG 
Views:	480 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	32732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0729.JPG 
Views:	521 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	32733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0809.JPG 
Views:	408 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	32734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0810.JPG 
Views:	347 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	32735  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RT mount w indent.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	32736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RT clearance on early 260Z.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	32737  
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-14-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: rewrite in proper form
    Rate my Z at Car Domain.com
    My 70' 240Z, Daily Driver

My Parking Light and Headlight Upgrade Harness's at MotorSport Auto
    HLH - PLH - SCP - ZXP's at MSA *They accept PayPal!!*
    Headlight Upgrade Harness info here at ClassicZCar Club
    HLH info at CZCC Do a search for info on the other upgrades I offer.

Member ID
    CZCC-14126

I'll take 3......Guy
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7600346077563/

70, 71, 2 72's, and a 73 240z....
    90 300zx and a 1996 Acura NSX.....but who's counting?

Member ID
    CZCC-19125

I'm looking for one for my 71Z...Haven't heard a response from him in over a week on the Hybrid thread.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by Diseazd View Post
    I'll take 3......Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTORMAN7 View Post
    I'm looking for one for my 71Z...Haven't heard a response from him in over a week on the Hybrid thread.
    Well, that's a start. The more orders I get, the cheaper I can sell them for.
    At 20, I can sell them for $60 w/ 2-3 day shipping in the US.
    At 30, I can sell them for $55 w/ 2-3 day shipping in the US. Not 5 to 7 days like Roostmonkey does.

Anyone else? I know I need a second one for my own Z. (My 240Z)
    Should I start a thread?

Dave
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-09-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by Zs-ondabrain View Post
    Well, that's a start. The more orders I get, the cheaper I can sell them for.
    At 20, I can sell them for $60 w/ 2-3 day shipping in the US.
    At 30, I can sell them for $55 w/ 2-3 day shipping in the US. Not 5 to 7 days like Roostmonkey does.

Anyone else? I know I need a second one for my own Z. (My 240Z)
    Should I start a thread?
    Yeah, should probably move this into the Group Buy forum.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-4376

Dave,
    I'm in for 1, I'd sooner buy from a known source.
    9/70 HLS30-10734

Member ID
    CZCC-17507

I made the mistake of paypalling Roostmonkey. He added a comment to his Paypall thread saying to stop sending money. I've heard nothing else from him, so I am interested, Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-18081

Assuming it will fit my early 260, I'll take one also!

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

So by my count,

I want........... (1)
    ConchZ.......... (1)
    vercingetorix... (1)
    Motorman7..... (1)
    Diseazd.......... (3)
    SteveE.......... (1)
    Zedyone_kenobi (1)
    Z_Tyler_Z.......(1)

That's 10. 20 more and ya'll save $5. Or 10 more and we're good for an order of 20. Half way there in less than 6 hours. I figure another day or 2 and we'll have enough.

ARNE,
    I don't wanna make it "Official" unless it's a sure thing. So if all of a sudden, orders start coming in via posts on this thread, then YES, move it to the group buy area. But lets see where this goes.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by 260zCaliCar View Post
    Assuming it will fit my early 260, I'll take one also!
    It will but you'll have to remove that exhaust hanger that is spot welded to the body, just above the drivers side, strap bolt holes. You'll also have to push your fuel lines upward, about an inch or so, after you remove the floating line clamp that sits above the passenger side, strap bolt holes.

Dave

Views:	278 
ID:	32706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RT clearance on early 260Z.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	32707  

Member ID
    CZCC-17507

Seems like you could get these made up in a 40 batch, package it up with the appropriate GM mount and maybe offer a frame snubber option, and sell them through MSA like your wiring packages.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I've thought about it. And the GM mount actually needs to have it's mounting holes widened a little to clear the girth of the large diff mount bolts. The GM mount is only $22 at Jegs.

If I do a 40 order with the GM mounts, I'd be into it for about $2000. so I would need some definate orders before considering a large order like that.

If I charge $30 for the GM Poly mount, I would also enlarge the holes before shipping everything out. I figure the easier it is, the better it sells, kinda like the upgrades for the 240Z's. Plus it takes an aproval committee for MSA to commit to buying anything other than a test run quantity.

Plus, so as to not infringe on a name-sake. I'm thinking "ZS Mount" or Z/S30 Diff Mount"
    Dave
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-09-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

Dave, count me in as well. I am stalled on my rear end rebuild. I want to replace the mount while I am back there. I havent heard from the Hybrid thread in over a month and would like to get the mount asap.
    1977 280Z
    I'm great at taking my Z apart, putting it back together has been a whole different story.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

OK, I'll call my metal guy tomorrow and see what the time frame would look like. Damn, all I was looking for was interest. Now I might have to actually go thru with it. why do I do this to myself? why why why?

ya'll know I love you guys

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

OK, I'll call my metal guy tomorrow and see what the time frame would look like. Damn, all I was looking for was interest. Now I might have to actually go thru with it. why do I do this to myself? why why why?

ya'll know I love you guys

Dave
    I'm LMAO here! I think I said this same stuff after I started getting in deep in the Bolder Tint deal. Which is finally moving along nicely, BTW, but way more headache than I thought it'd be.

I might be interested in one too, Dave. You know my car and how I do my mods, how reversible is the RT mount? Could I go back to stock later without traces?

Member ID
    CZCC-9965

Dave, am assuming this will work on a 70 Z with an 83 R200 diff and 5 speed tranny? I ask because the original holding strap does not work as everything is shifted forwards with the newer drivetrain. Am using a makeshift L-bracket to hold the diff/tranny down in its place, crude but effective for now. Your thoughts?
    January 1970 240Z
    HLS3001399

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by duffman View Post
    Dave, am assuming this will work on a 70 Z with an 83 R200 diff and 5 speed tranny? I ask because the original holding strap does not work as everything is shifted forwards with the newer drivetrain. Am using a makeshift L-bracket to hold the diff/tranny down in its place, crude but effective for now. Your thoughts?
    Good question! My diff is still in the stock '71 (more forward) location. So I'm thinking the RT mount would still fit fine as long as I don't move the diff rearward. Sound right?

Member ID
    CZCC-20310

I want one now also. I'm not sure how long the other guy on HybridZ is going to take, but I didn't get a response from him in the thread.

I need a mount for my 1977 280z, and hope it's all plug and play, because I don't want to have to cut/re-weld, or drill new holes or something.
    1977 280z
    HLS30 384688

Member ID
    CZCC-5121

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Good question! My diff is still in the stock '71 (more forward) location. So I'm thinking the RT mount would still fit fine as long as I don't move the diff rearward. Sound right?
    It has 3 holes in it so it fits regardless of what position the diff is in. At least the one I got from roostmonkey fits in my 70...
    Jon

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

The Mount is typically used more by guys with the R200, LSD or quaife LSD. So I know it works well for them. I also know that I have a stock R180 in my 260Z and the mount works great there as well. I just read 15 or more pages at HybridZ and it looks like NO ONE has had issues with all the different diff combinations.. R180's R200's SX and Infinity diffs.

I've also found that the flexibility (front and back movement) of the Mustache bar, allows for the fine adjustment of different types of diffs and mounts. Roostmonkey has it in his 70 ZXT and I've also read of it in all other years of S30's. Minor mods may be needed (like me having to remove the exhaust hanger bracket and moving the fuel lines up) but as said, they are minor mods and nothing seems to be permant or unreversable.

I know from doing mine that I could easily remove it and bolt the strap back in, if need be. My suggestion, when installing the mount, is to loosely instal the poly mount to the diff (just turn the nuts on) and then the top bolt that goes thru the rt mount can be screwed to the mount at a slight angle because of the width of the hole in the top of the RT. Basically, loosely mount everything and it'll bolt right up, then tighten it all down from there. I did it and it worked well for me.

and on the plus side, If someone orders it from me, and they find it won't work with their particular application, 1) it will still ne a "New" product and easily resold to the next guy or 2) return it to me for a full refund and I'll just resell it to the next person who want one. Pretty easy solution. OR 3) sell it to someone else and help them instal it for a small fee, see there, now ya made money and a new friend... lol

Dave.

So by my count,

I want........... (1)
    ConchZ.......... (1)
    vercingetorix... (1)
    Motorman7..... (1)
    Diseazd.......... (3)
    SteveE.......... (1)
    Zedyone_kenobi (1)
    Z_Tyler_Z.......(1)
    260ZCaliCar.....(1)
    MEZZZ...........(1)
    ARNE.............(1)
    Duffman.........(1) ??? Maybe
    RT Hunter.......(1)

That's 15 as of 8pm on Monday. I'll keep updating and call the metal guy tomorrow (tuesday) and try and get an aproximate finish time on the first 30? or so. This is weird yet exciting all at the same time.

Dave
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-09-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20310

You should PM those guys in the other thread at Hybridz.org that doesn't know already about this one. I saw some post of there that are interested.
    1977 280z
    HLS30 384688

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by RT Hunter View Post
    You should PM those guys in the other thread at Hybridz.org that doesn't know already about this one. I saw some post of there that are interested.
    Ya, I lot of them are the same one that have already posted here, wanting one. That's one of the reasons I figured I'd see what the demand was here at ZCZZ. Truthfully, I'd like to see how far we get here before spreading too much word over there. If the orders pile up here, there should be a few straglers over there to take up the slack.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I think I'd want to do mine with the stock lower mount and a top snubber, if for no other reason than it would be less noticeable that way. I'm kinda funny that way...

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    I think I'd want to do mine with the stock lower mount and a top snubber, if for no other reason than it would be less noticeable that way. I'm kinda funny that way...
    It's a great idea, kinda snug but definately would look stock to the untrained eye.
    Actually, you'll hear of a lot of guys doing it that way.

Dave
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-09-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-9965

Dave, you can add me to the list, just please confirm what we are buying. I have seen different pics of brackets, etc, but want to see what it is you will manufacture and sell to us. Will the diff and tranny have to be removed to install, or is there an easy way to do this? Again, you can take the question marks away and add me to the list!
    January 1970 240Z
    HLS3001399

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Easy enough. You'll be getting the metal ZS30 diff mount. You'll need to buy the Poly GM trans mount from www.jegs.com (P/N 3-1108 ) And also Paint the Mount yourself, to keep it from rusting as it is 3/16" mild steel. The ZS30 Mount can be mounted without removing the tranny or diff.

1) Remove the 4 bolts that hold the Diff Strap to the body of the Z
    2) Remove the nut & washers that hold the OEM diff mount to the crossmember.
    3) support the diff with a floor jack then remove the 4 bolts that hold the crossmember up.
    4) The mustache bar and axles will easily support the diff in the hanging position after you lower the front of the diff. So lower the diff and use 2) 17mm ? wrenches and remove the 2 bolts that hold the OEM diff mount to the diff.
    5) Being as how the new diff mount is in the shape of a square "U", you can slip it over the driveline or diff and slide it up into place. You may need to push the fuel lines up a little to clear the new mount. You may also have a rubber clamp on those brake and fuel lines that may need to be removed or moved forward to clear the new Mount. Slide it up and bolt it into place, making sure that the cross plate is facing the rear of the car and the poly mount hole is facing forward. **PICS**
    6) When you go to instal the GM Poly Urethane Transmission Mount (P/N 3-1108 in Red or Black) You'll find that the mounting holes need to be widened enough to fit the larger bolts of the diff. And when you do this, keep thes as close to the poly as you can. The holes in the diff are closer together than the holes of the poly mount, so when you drill them larger, push your drill bit towards the poly to narrow the distance between the bolt holes.

7) Place the poly mount on top of the diff, slide the long bolts up thru the diff, place one washer on each bolt as a spacer to raise the poly mount off the diff a bit. Then slide the poly mount onto the bolts, then 1 more washer per bolt and put the nuts on loosely.

8) Place 1 of the 2 supplied poly mount bolts (with a washer and lock washer) thru the hole at the top of the ZS30 Mount, with the head of the bolt facing the top of the tunnel.

9) Raise the diff slowly, while aligning that top bolt with the center hole of the poly mounts 3 top holes. Raise it till you can thread the bolt in. Then continue to tighten the top bolt while raising the diff into place. You can also alternate and continue to tighten the 2 large bolts and nuts of the diff.

When that's all done, go back and double check that all nuts and bolts are tightened. You're done. It's almost simpler than it sounds. Toss the strap, bolt up the new mount, drill the poly mount, mount it to the diff, raise the diff and bolt it all back up.

Hope that's visual enough for most of you. It's pretty fresh in the memory so there ya go.

Dave

Name:	RT mount  on the diff..jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	32719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0603.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	32720   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	160 
ID:	32721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0729.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	32722  
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-10-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8541

Dave: Any chance of 1 with the GM mount to the UK?

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Hey Stranger, long time no see. I'm sure shipping a hunk of metal to the other side of the pond is possible. How those upgrades working for ya?

Keep your eye on this thread, I'll post when and if they become available for human consumption. haha.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-8541

Upgrades working a treat Dave so I know if your'e using the R/T mount it's going to be AOK. I'll watch the thread.

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Hi Dave,

So is this a definite "go" on this project? I sent Roostmonkey some money, but I get no response from him. If I can get my money back, I would but one from you.

It will be the exact same design, right?

Marty

Member ID
    CZCC-3352

count me in, i need one for my '73
    ______http://www.cardomain.com/id/nahurry1971____________ 3/73- HLS30-151414

Member ID
    CZCC-8342

Default Diff. mount

Hi Dave, Count me in for one also. I know, use and trust your work.
    Cheers, Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4044

Keep in mind, roostmonkey only makes them when he has a call for them, then he will make more than enough to satisfy demand at the time and then some. He can't afford to keep a large stock on hand.

I can attest to the quality of his work and it works perfectly when I used a generic bump stop. I didn't have to spend the money on a gm mount or the bolts to mount it. It keeps the driveline in perfect alignment with stock drivetrain just like stock.

There are other ways to contact roostmonkey. Not everybody uses the forwarded reply in their posts. You should pm or email directly.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread...62#post1089962

If I were to make a rt mount, I would make it 1/2" shorter to easily clear the fuel and brake lines in the tranny tunnel. Then I would have to cut the bump stop just a bit shorter.
    Last edited by Darrel; 11-10-2009 at 08:56 AM.
    things will only bother you if you let them.

82 280zxt 4 spd auto
    73 240z--lsd, cv axles
    short throw info

Member ID
    CZCC-19125

So my question is, Is this R/T mount Patented?
    Dave
    I doubt that it is and most likely it is not for a number of reasons.

First off, a patent application will run you anywhere from $5K - $10K and typically takes more than a year to receive. In addition, there is a patent "annual maintenance fee" of $500 to $1000. Financially, I don't think it would make sense for him. It would also have to be proven unique and different from exisitng designs (which it is, or may be, but again, this has to be technically proven and agreed to by the patent office). It is not an easy process. And if it is challenged, and I beleive it would be, then it gets more costly.

Second, now that the mount has been "produced and advertised", it is not patentable as it qualifies as "existing art".

I did a quick patent search (http://www.patentstorm.us) and did not find this mount defined. I did notice that some of the patents on differential mounts were filed by the big boys (Mercedes Benz, Hyundai). That's a different league and not sure many are capable of competing/challenging them.

I am doubting that the earlier mounts had any patent pending info or paperwork on them which would also be required.

Just my thoughts.

Rich

Member ID
    CZCC-9965

Thanks, Dave, for the instructions!
    January 1970 240Z
    HLS3001399

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I split this off from the technical discussion and into a new thread in the Group Buy forum. It's gone way past a feeler...

Member ID
    CZCC-12190

Splendid idea!

Put me down for one as well please Dave!

(BTW just out of pure courtesy, I might ask RoostMonkey if he minds if you do this. All legality aside, if it were me, I'de appreciate being asked. We are one big happy family after all!)

Jim
    Last edited by zKars; 11-10-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

zKars,
    RoostMonkey wrote this "--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I dont have a patent. Actually I used Ron Tyler's basic design ( hence the name " RT mount" ) with his permission and added my own little details to make what I feel is a slightly cleaner product. Theres nothing to stop someone from doing the same. If your thinking of making these, do us all a favor and make them better ( if possible ).Dont just copy this design. I only do this to help you guys out and to put a little cash in the Z fund. "

Which basically says "Have at it" but at the same time "Make it better" I'm trying to keep it at the same price so as to not stray away from or show any real compitition, just expanding the availability.

I called my Metal guy and he's making one up in Aluminum (easier, bendable, etc) so I can bring it home, do a test fit and mesurement and report back to him. If it checks out, I'll have him start producing them.

I want to keep it Simple in it's design. It's been suggested to make it 1/2" shorter, but in doing that, it will also drop the diff another 1/2" and we don't want that. I was also thinking of weight reducing holes on the sides but I don't wanna mess with the integrity or strength of the mount. I'll know more when he delivers the prototype/mock up.

As for a money making venture, not here. To be honest, I'll pay about $35 each, plus $10 for shipping each one in the US. Price of boxes, fuel to pick up, deliver, and return home. I might make $5 each, so it's not in my best interest to do this, but more of a back-up for when RoostMonkey is too busy. So it's basically all out of the love of the car and it's people, that I do this. On top of everything else I'm trying to do.

So by my count,

I want 1.......... (1)
    ConchZ........... (1)
    vercingetorix.... (1)
    Motorman7...... (1)
    Diseazd........... (3)
    SteveE............ (1)
    Zedyone_kenobi (1)
    Z_Tyler_Z.........(1)
    260ZCaliCar......(1)
    MEZZZ.............(1)
    ARNE...............(1)
    Duffman...........(1)
    RT Hunter.........(1)
    Nigel1943.........(1)
    Marty Rogan.....(1)
    nahurry............(1)
    Pop's Z............(1)
    zKars...............(1)
    GreenZZZ.........(1)

That's 21. I'll shoot a message to the metal guy and tell him we're on for the first 30 and tell him to kick A$$ on them. He said he's low on man power around the shop but he'll try and make it a priority. I think I can get this on a Net 30 which will allow me to start selling before all the money is in. We'll see.

Thanks for the Retitle and swap over Arne. I appreciate it.

Dave
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-10-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-14083

+1, add me please.

Thanks for doing this Dave!

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

Quote Originally Posted by GreenZZZ View Post
    +1, add me please.

Thanks for doing this Dave!
    I agree, THANKS for doing this!! Let us know how/when and where to pay, i will be one of the first to send you the $$.
    1977 280Z
    I'm great at taking my Z apart, putting it back together has been a whole different story.

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

Dave,

Count me in for one as well! When do you want the check?
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-19125

Can we use Paypal?

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Dave, if the demand get's too big, put me to the end of the list. I'm not in any hurry for one.

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

My diff doesn't clunk but since it is a Z, it will... Count me in
    Rob
    2000 BMW R1100 RT-SE (for sale)
    1999 Toyota 4Runner Supercharged
    1975 Porsche 914 stroker motor autoX car
    1973 Datsun 240Z Restoration project. New paint in original white. E31 head on 2.4 block. Nissan Motorsports header. R200 with Nissan motorsports LSD.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Everyone who is still interested, Please Read the First Page (POST #1) It has all the info on ordering the R/T Mount

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

I just ordered a check sent direct from my bank which should arrive at your door the 23rd. Thanks for this effort.
    Rob
    2000 BMW R1100 RT-SE (for sale)
    1999 Toyota 4Runner Supercharged
    1975 Porsche 914 stroker motor autoX car
    1973 Datsun 240Z Restoration project. New paint in original white. E31 head on 2.4 block. Nissan Motorsports header. R200 with Nissan motorsports LSD.

Member ID
    CZCC-4044

I would like to point out that you do NOT have to use a gm mount with the rt mount. You can use a bump stop along with the stock mount. Less money using bump stops you can get at any auto parts store. This will also keep the diffy at the stock alignment.

I just wanted to point out there are other alternatives when you go with a rt mount.

82 280zxt 4 spd auto
    73 240z--lsd, cv axles
    short throw info

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by conedodger View Post
    I just ordered a check sent direct from my bank which should arrive at your door the 23rd. Thanks for this effort.
    Thanks for getting the ordering started, I really appreciate it.

MEZZZ,
    Sorry, you missed out, Conedodger beat ya. hahaha.

Everyone else, Please follow the payment info on the first post. I don't have a paypal account and using my local check cashing place will cost me about $5 to cash your bank check (casheirs checks, personal checks) So please try and keep it to Cash, USPS Postal Money Orders and WalMart Money Orders.

Thanks again guys, this is all for and because of you. I can't do it without you.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-4376

Dave,
    I'll get the MO off tomorrow. Also any info on using a bump stop would be much appreciated part numbers,step by step fully illustrated 9x12 glossy pics with little circles and arrows and stuff etc.... anybody?
    Thanks for doing this for us Dave,now I can get my diff. off the bench and into the car.
    Best,
    H Houghton
    9/70 HLS30-10734

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by vercingetorix View Post
    Dave,
    I'll get the MO off tomorrow. Also any info on using a bump stop would be much appreciated part numbers,step by step fully illustrated 9x12 glossy pics with little circles and arrows and stuff etc.... anybody?
    Thanks for doing this for us Dave,now I can get my diff. off the bench and into the car.
    Best,
    H Houghton
    It's my Pleasure Mr Houghton. PM Darrel about the Bump stop specifics. Maybe we can get him to do a thread on using the bump stop with the R/T mount. Might bump sales and get the needed info out there for people looking for options.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-4044

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...Shock-Eyes.asp

bumpstops used was 99101 energy suspension in black.

Any generic auto parts store will carry them.

82 280zxt 4 spd auto
    73 240z--lsd, cv axles
    short throw info

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...Shock-Eyes.asp

bumpstops used was 99101 energy suspension in black.

Any generic auto parts store will carry them.
    Awesome, Thanks Darrel. Here's a picture of the 99101 in red.

Part Number: 99101
    •All purpose bump stop for control arms, traction bars & leaf springs.
    •Designed to be easily trimmed.
    •2 1/8" tall, 2" dia.
    •Includes 2 per set

Member ID
    CZCC-8151

Talking AS nearly always---

Me too--

Two that is---

I'll take 2 Dave---Wal-Mart Money Order will be in the mail today.

You're the bbzzzzz kneeeezzzz!!

Jim D.
    Zup

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I want 1.......... (1)
    ConchZ........... (1)
    vercingetorix.... (1)
    Motorman7...... (1)
    Diseazd........... (3)
    SteveE............ (1)
    Zedyone_kenobi (1)
    Z_Tyler_Z.........(1)
    260ZCaliCar......(1)
    MEZZZ.............(1)
    ARNE...............(1)
    Duffman...........(1)
    RT Hunter.........(1)
    Nigel1943.........(1)
    Marty Rogan.....(1)
    nahurry............(1)
    Pop's Z............(1)
    zKars...............(1)
    GreenZZZ.........(1)
    Oiluj................(1)
    conedodger......(1)
    Zup.................(2)

There's the 25 we need. I just got back from the metal shop and aproved the new design. The new 3/4" X 3/4" Notch in the upper right hand corner will completely clear the fuel lines. We've also added 1/2" to the vertical plate to keep the reinforcement of the Mount, after the notch has been made.

Should be able to start shipping by next wednesday.

Dave.
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-12-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I'll try and get a digital rendering of the new design with the brake line notch, on this thread tomorrow.

So please let me know if you're sending your payment, I need to be able to tell the accountant when these things can start being paid for. I'm just the middle guy, you guys are the the only way this will work for everyone, so help me help you by letting me know what's coming in the mailbox.

Thanks again guys,
    Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Money sent = MS................ Haven't heard from yet = Not Yet

I want 1.......... (1) - MS
    ConchZ........... (1) - Not Yet
    vercingetorix.... (1) - MS
    Motorman7...... (1) - MS
    Diseazd........... (1) - MS
    SteveE............ (1) - MS
    Zedyone_kenobi (1) - Not confirmed yet
    Z_Tyler_Z.........(1) - MS
    260ZCaliCar......(1) - MS
    MEZZZ.............(1) - MS
    ARNE...............(1) - MS
    Duffman...........(1) - MS
    RT Hunter.........(1) - MS
    Nigel1943.........(1) - MS
    Marty Rogan.....(1) - not Yet
    nahurry............(1) - Not Yet
    Pop's Z............(1) - Not Yet
    zKars...............(1) - MS
    GreenZZZ.........(1) - MS
    Oiluj................(1) - Not yet
    conedodger......(1) - MS
    Zup.................(2) - MS
    Gully Foyle........(1) - Not yet

Moving right alone at a steady pace. If you have sent money and it's in the mail, PM me so I know and can mark you off the list. first come first serve. you know the drill.

A BIG thanks to all who have confirmed there order and a Small Reminder to those I haven't heard from yet.

Dave
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-13-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Add one more to the list........ Gully Foyle for 1.
    Anyone else?

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-20310

Payment sent!
    1977 280z
    HLS30 384688

Member ID
    CZCC-20310

BTW, when you use the bumpstops, to sandwich, can you use the wornout stock mount, or do you have to buy new stock mount?

Because if new stock mount is required, I might as well just buy the GM mount.
    1977 280z
    HLS30 384688

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

As long as the stock mount is still in working order, you can use it and the bump stop. Even if the stock mount fails, the bump stop will "Stop" the diff from raising.

Thanks for your payment.
    Anyone else?
    Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-5121

I think a broken bottom mount would work fine if the bumper on top stopped the upward movement of the diff. The only thing the stock diff mount would do is keep the diff from hitting the crossmember, and unless the rubber comes entirely out I don't think that's likely to be a problem.
    Jon

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I totally hear ya. I'm just trying to suggest people use unbroken parts. The bump stop will stop the diff from moving up, when used on the R/T mount and the broken or even new one, will keep the diff from smacking the crossmember.

Member ID
    CZCC-4376

Is it possible to use the GM mount AND the stock mount or is there not enought clearance?
    9/70 HLS30-10734

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

It is possible, but you'll have to......
    Mount the R/T mount to the Z without the GM mount attached.
    Loosely mount the GM poly mount to the top of the diff and the Stock mount to the bottom.
    Mount the Poly to the R/T mount and tighten it all up, including the 2 large bolts so everything is tight.
    Then mount the crossmember to the stock mount with the nut and washer.
    Then you'll have to use a floorjack to compress the crossmember up to the car to bolt it in place with the 4 bolts.

This will literally compress both mounts and ain't Nothing Moving after that.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I'll use this post (#65) to post updated info on orders (requests, payments sent and payments received)

I want 1.......... (1) - Order and Payment Received
    vercingetorix.... (1) - Order and Payment Received
    Motorman7...... (1) - Order and Payment Received
    Diseazd........... (1) - Order and Payment Received
    SteveE........... (1) - Order and Payment Received
    260ZCaliCar......(1) - Order and Payment Received
    Duffman...........(1) - Order and Payment Received
    RT Hunter.........(1) - Order and Payment Received
    GreenZZZ.........(1) - Order and Payment Received
    Zup.................(2) - Order and Payment Received
    SSuspect.........(1) - Order and Payment Received
    MEZZZ.............(1) - Order and Payment Received
    pbarcher..........(1) - Order and Payment Received
    Marty Rogan.....(1) - Order and Payment Received
    Pop's Z............(1) - Order and Payment Received
    Oiluj................(1) - Order and Payment Received
    Gully Foyle........(1) - Order and Payment Received
    =Enigma= ........(1) - Order and Payment Received
    Zedyone_kenobi (1) - Order and Payment Received
    Z_Tyler_Z.........(1) - Order and Payment Received
    ZKars...............(1) - Order and Payment Received
    conedodger......(1) - Order and Payment Received
    bajcsi..............(1) - Order and Payment Received
    ol'red70...........(1) - Order and Payment Received
    ARNE...............(1) - MS
    Nigel1943.........(1) - MS
    ConchZ........... (1) - MS
    Phred..............(1) - MS
    70 Cam Guy......(1) - MS
    Tarmac............(1) - MS
    nahurry............(1) - Not Yet
    JohnnyRock.......(1) - MS

I know I say it almost every time, but Thanks guys.
    Dave
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-21-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-18199

will this fit a 78 280?

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by scotts pearl View Post
    will this fit a 78 280?
    Yes..

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

will this fit a 78 280?
    As Arne said, Yes. It will fit the tunnel of all S30's But will NOT fit the ZX (S130)

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

Very cool Dave. I haven't been on in a while so I'm coming in late to this thread but please count me in for one. I'll get the USPS MO out to you Monday or Tuesday.
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

My name is Adam and I'm a Zeeoholic!

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

You're now on the list. About half so far are spoken for. I'm almost sure that the other half will fly once you guys get yours and comment on them.

Thanks Adam,
    Dave

This car is 40 years old?
    Member ID
    CZCC-16464

Thumbs up Yup - I'm in on this...

Hi Dave,

Count me in! I will get the MO in the next couple of days and send it over. I'll send you the info. I will install everything in the next few weeks when I swap the 4:11 R180 setup into the car.

For everybody else as an FYI... I also had Dave rebuild my turn signal and headlight combo switches and I installed his HLH and PLH harnesses in my 2/71 240. This car is not yet on the road, but I am VERY close. The quality of Dave's work as well as his customer service and ease of installation is OUTSTANDING!

I will put together a full post of my build (over the last year) in a few weeks. I can't wait to get this car rolling! I will get my door seals this week (needed to complete the interior install). I will bolt my seats in next weekend and take it around the block for the first time since I bought it... WooHoo!!!

Thanks for putting this together Dave!!!

Tim
    Last edited by SSuspect; 11-15-2009 at 08:12 PM.
    Tim Reinhardt - Colorado Springs, CO.

71' 240Z.
    Build date = 2/71
    VIN# = HLS30-21505
    Rebuilding from the bottom up. Very cool project!

96' Impala SS - Full custom build from top to bottom. This is my weekend toy!

Member ID
    CZCC-13361

I would like one also. Please put me on the list. I'll send out the money in the next day or two with your confirmation. Thanks!

Bajcsi

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

As always, Thanks for the Rave Reviews. If you guys keep doing that, The fall from my pedastool will be a long one. Thanks guys.

On to business.....
    If all the people that said they mailed an order last week truly did so, My mail carrier is gonna have quite the bundle for me tomorrow. I'll update with each peice of mail with an "Order and Payment Received" next to your name.

I'll also keep updating names and status on post # 114 on page 12.

bajcsi, SSuspect and =Enigma=, you're on. Thanks again guys,

Dave
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-22-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-16464

As always, Thanks for the Rave Reviews. If you guys keep doing that, The fall from my pedastool will be a long one. Thanks guys.

Dave
    FYI Dave - Got everything buttoned up in the column tonight (still need to clean up wire under dash). You can see your combo-switch handy work here. Thanks for your help! (sorry for side-tracking the thread)...

Tim

Last edited by SSuspect; 11-15-2009 at 08:38 PM.

71' 240Z.
    Build date = 2/71
    VIN# = HLS30-21505

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Looks good but make sure you tuck those wires before you're done. Or is that an Obvious thing? If you want, repost this in the Review section or on the Combo turn signal service thread. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24304

Keep us updated.

Dave
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-16-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-18713

I'll take one for my stock 73

Peter Barcher

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Just an FYI, I ordered 50 to be made. So if you don't see 50 names on post #65, then they are still available. Peter, you're on the list.

Thanks guys.
    Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Just got back from the shop and measured up the new Mount. Brought it home and did a quick instal and everything is great.

The pictures below if of the prototype but the production unit will have the oblong holes like the original. Also, back plate will be inset 1/4" like the original. It cleared the brake likes easily but as stated before, the fuel line bracket might need to be moved a few inches forward. But this will also allow you to retain the clamp and not have to remove it, just slide it forward.

All new names were added and a few were updated.
    Here ya go.
    Dave

Name:	DSCN0814.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	32838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0815.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	32839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0816.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	32840  

Member ID
    CZCC-20310

Will that bend try to straighten out gradually if the diff keeps thrusting up?
    1977 280z
    HLS30 384688

Member ID
    CZCC-16464

Looks good but make sure you tuck those wires before you're done. Or is that an Obvious thing? If you want, repost this in the Review section or on the Combo turn signal service thread. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24304

Keep us updated.

Dave
    I will re-post in the review section. Will post pics of the HLH install too.

I have plenty of "wire management" to finish up under the dash...

Back to this thread... payment sent for the R/T mount!

Thanks again!
    Tim

71' 240Z.
    Build date = 2/71
    VIN# = HLS30-21505

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by RT Hunter View Post
    Will that bend try to straighten out gradually if the diff keeps thrusting up?
    Absolutely Not. This is 3/16" steel. I can't imagine any 400HP or less motor bending this at all. The back plate is also welded on the sides and top. And if by some weird chance it did bend, I'd like to know what the hell is under the hood. I think you'd snap an axle, U-joint or something else before that would happen.

Good question though,
    Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Just checked the mail. Got 5 more orders in and updated the names and status on Post #65. Thanks again guys. The New pictures of the Prototype are on Post #78

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Hey Phred, Sorry bout that, you're on the list now. Had a brain-fart

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-18904

You can count me in, this looks great.

Your fab guy looks like he does great work. Deburred edges, clean bends, clean TIG welds. This coming from someone that was a QE at my last job, inspector before at the same company, and worked for a machine shop during school.

Being a QC inspector can ruin the fun sometimes because after a while, you just notice everything. My friend showed me a ring her bf gave her and I asked her about a flaw that I figured she'd noticed. She hadn't even seen it... I felt like such a jack a**
    -Andy
    1973 HLS30-166105
    RB20DET swap, HKS GT2530 turbo, HKS Actuator, Hallman MBC, ebay intake manifold, ebay dump pipe, straight pipe, 14 psi boost

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

wow, and that's just the Prototype. He said the actual peices will have bigger and longer welds, ovaled holes for a less tolerant S30 (they're not all exactly the same) and a few other details. If you like that one, you'll love the final product.

I'll put ya down for one Andy.
    Thanks man,
    Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-17443

Hi Dave

Money Order sent in the afternoon mail. You should have it Fri / Mon.

Thanks again.

Member ID
    CZCC-18199

can this be added and still use lower mount as well... i guess what i am trying to say is can i use both.. just wanting to get away from strap...thanks

Member ID
    CZCC-4044

read through this thread and all your questions will be answered.

Personally I use the stock mount and a bump stop bolted to the rt mount instead of the gm mount. The bump stop can be cut or ground down as far as needed to keep the diffy from moving.

82 280zxt 4 spd auto
    73 240z--lsd, cv axles
    short throw info

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

can this be added and still use lower mount as well... i guess what i am trying to say is can i use both.. just wanting to get away from strap...thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    read through this thread and all your questions will be answered.

Personally I use the stock mount and a bump stop bolted to the rt mount instead of the gm mount. The bump stop can be cut or ground down as far as needed to keep the diffy from moving.
    That's my plan too. And considering that the strap lists for $68 from Nissan, even after adding the cost of the bump stop in this looks quite reasonable in price.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

SteveE and GreenZZZ, I got your order in today and updated post #65. Thanks guys.

Scotts Pearl... Like the guys said, Yes. And the bump stop is on post #52 and here's the Jegs page on it... Click this.. P/N 9-9101R or B Bump Stop and they're only $9 +S/H

ol'red70, Thank you.

Dave
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-17-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-16976

add me to the list, i'll pick up a money order on the way home and get it out to you ASAP.

Thanks!

Member ID
    CZCC-13361

Dave,
    Sorry for the delayed response. Your money order is going our tomorrow.

Bajcsi

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

OK, I've updated and added your names to the list.

Haven't heard back from nahurry, Phred or pbarcher yet. Just need to know if money is on the way or not, that's all.

This is going great so far. I just spoke with The Metal guy and he said the Final design is set in stone and being made as we speak. He also said I should be able to pick up at least half the order by Monday or Tuesday.
    Here's what he sent me.

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

To save everyone from having to download the PDF a gazillion times, here it is in normal graphic format.

Name:	Screen shot 2009-11-18 at 2.53.01 PM.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	32854  

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Thanks Arne, My computer was doing 20 updates today and I couldn't get anything to work quickly. Was anyone else having trouble getting anything done on CZCC today?

Also, DiseaZd and SSuspect, Got your orders and payments today. I also updated your Status on post #65

Thanks again Arne,Guy and Tim,
    Dve

Member ID
    CZCC-14126

Dave.....The mounts look outstanding. Everything you do is to perfection! Thanks Guy
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7600346077563/

70, 71, 2 72's, and a 73 240z....
    90 300zx and a 1996 Acura NSX.....but who's counting?

Member ID
    CZCC-18713

Dave,

I mailed the money order on Tuesday 11/17.

Peter

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Thanks Peter, just updated everything on post #65.

Thanks Guy, I hope they meet your high standards. And if so, You got a couple more Z's that might love this bracket. But lets get one in your Z first to see how ya like it.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Well, Just got back from the metal shop and paid a portion on the Mounts. But now I'm in the hole because Even though I specified CASH, USPS POSTAL Money Orders, or Wal-Mart Money Orders. Some insisted on Western Union, Personal and other forms, to pay me. It cost me $5 to cash anything other than what I requested as payment. Yes, It's my own fault because I haven't cleared up things with my last bank, and the check cashing place charges me for my own stupidity. It just cost me $20 to cash 4 checks and money orders.

So when I said I might make a few dollars on each one, that's now been changed to "I will not make barely anything on this venture" so it's all about you guys at this point. So if that doesn't show my love for you guys, nothin will.

Everythings been updated to this point and I will update again later today, when the postman shows up.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-15469

I'll try to get CASH out to you tomorrow Dave. Might not happen till Monday tho.
    ***PREVIOUSLY OWNED***
    1970 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-01704
    71,000 Original Miles

- Jon

Thread Information