Thread: Engine parts Identification of year/type help ...

Member ID
    CZCC-10327

Cool Engine parts Identification of year/type help ...

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of different questions all relating for the same subject.

This past weekend i picked up an complete drivetrain that I won off of Ebay for a 75' 280z (the same year as the one I have). I got a whole lot of stuff with it for a good price of 255 bucks

There are a couple parts that I can't tell what type they are and if they are any better than the ones I already have on my 280z.

First off is the header. One reason I bought this was for the muffler (which I had to replace). The new one looks to come with a 6-2-1 (I think) which is made to go with the muffler and exaust. How much better is this one than my other one on my car. (referance pictures below and sorry for the bad shot on the header in my car, it's the best I could do)

Second, I have a reciepts that came with this engine and one of them is for a short shifter. How can I tell if I have this option added to the trans? How hard is something like this to remove and add to my car?

Third is the transmisson. The one I have now is also a 5-speed, but I would like to know if this one is anything special (I am pretty much a newbie to engine stuff, but I have included two pictures below to help)

Fourth, I have tried to tell what type of alternator is on the new engine but i haven't been able to tell, the referance lable is worn and i was hopeing someone here could help identify it. I have been wanting to upgrade to a ZX alternator, so if this is one, then I saved myself an extra 60 bucks.

Thanks for all the help ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	header_on_extra_engine.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	10868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	header_in_car_now.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	10869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	is_this_a_short_shifter.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	10870   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknown_trans.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	10871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans_in_car_now.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	10872  

-Gregg Germer -

1975 280z - HLS30-210542
    My 280z's Webpage - http://www.gregggermer.com/280z.htm - a chronicle of it's transformation

Member ID
    CZCC-10327

Default the alternator phot ...

here is the alternator photo ...

Name:	unknown_alternator_type.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	10873  
    -Gregg Germer -

1975 280z - HLS30-210542
    My 280z's Webpage - http://www.gregggermer.com/280z.htm - a chronicle of it's transformation

Go Fast, Don't Crash 280~Master's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-9867

Nice find on ebay not bad price for the stuff you won.

The first pic is a set of headers that you got right? the second pic is the exhaughst manifold on your car right? If so then switch to the headers in the first pic. Only if you have the right exhaust ports (some are round some are square). You will have to find out what the head number is on the heads to find this info. If they are the same then great. the head number is located between #1 and #2 spark plugs. Something like E31(would be nice ), E88(would be nice ), N42(not bad ), N47(the worst ), P50(good ), P50A(better ) would be there. It is raised a little bit above so seeing it should not be hard.

As for the sort shifter that is not hard to change out at all. I personaly think it looks like a shifter from a ZX but I maybe wrong . Check out this page for info on changing this item out. http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...ing/index.html Just a snap ring, pull the pin and out comes the shifter. Its not that hard. I just did my on the 76. I ended up using the HELP kit # 38388 took a drill and a 11/32 bit and drilled out the shifter and grinded the bushings just enough on the bench grinder. I had an extra transmission sitting in the shop next to the grinder so it was simple. Made a great difference in the way my tranny shifts.
    The tranny is not my best area but I do know there were 3 types 5 speeds made for the Z and its BIG Brother the ZX. One was the early type that really was not very good due to the fact it has problems loosing 5 and reverse. The second one was better in quality and Nissan I guess fixed this problem. There is no way to tell these apart from what I have been told and read. The third one is a T5 borg warner. This came in the 83 ZXT I believe. It is very good and very hard to find. It is also very difficult to put in the 240 260 and 280s but worth it to me.
    Your alternator is hard to tell from this angle for me. I would have to see it from the back to tell what one it is.
    John Thomas Bertrand
    Model: HLS30 STD CPE 2DR
    Color: 305 LIGHT BLUE
    Serial: HLS30-298085
    Engine: L28-081399
    Port of Entry: 34 JACKSONVILLE
    Method of Transport: TRUCK
    Dealer to whom delivered:
    Brown Datsun INC
    213 E Liberty ST
    Lyons, GA 30436

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I can't say for certain without seeing the rear of the alternator either, but from the side it does NOT look like the ZX alternator in my car. Typically, the ZX alternators seem to have a rounded edge, as seen in the linked gallery picture (not mine). They also have an extra plug that is not used when installed on an early car, in the linked picture you can see it barely at the left edge.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...what=allfields
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-10327

Quote Originally Posted by 280~Master
    Nice find on ebay not bad price for the stuff you won.

The first pic is a set of headers that you got right? the second pic is the exhaughst manifold on your car right? If so then switch to the headers in the first pic. Only if you have the right exhaust ports (some are round some are square). You will have to find out what the head number is on the heads to find this info. If they are the same then great. the head number is located between #1 and #2 spark plugs. Something like E31(would be nice ), E88(would be nice ), N42(not bad ), N47(the worst ), P50(good ), P50A(better ) would be there. It is raised a little bit above so seeing it should not be hard.
    The header is a P90A. The first photo is of the 6-2-1 header on the engine I won and the next one of the one on my car. I think I labled the file names to help identify the photos. Next time I will add text in my photos to help.

The engine is also supposed to have a set of Performance Cams (MSN # 17033 priced at 160 bucks) and a Performance Valve Spring Set (MSA # 102011 priced at 100 bucks) in the engine. But I will wait till I have the engine and parts taken out at the mechanics for painting to verify this.

The real question is, what was taken out of this car or off the car then sold separate before the PO sold the car.

I also got a K&N air filter with this kit which I really wanted to get, but just didn't want to drop the cash, so that was an extra bonus!

I will try to get a different picture of the alternator ...
    -Gregg Germer -

1975 280z - HLS30-210542

Member ID
    CZCC-9867

Default question continued

you say the header is a P90A. Do you mean header or the head???

Yeah the header would be better than the stock exhaust manifold which you have on the car.

Good luck on the performance parts. Like you say the real question is what was taken off and sold seperate. You may never know.
    John Thomas Bertrand
    Brown Datsun INC
    213 E Liberty ST
    Lyons, GA 30436

Member ID
    CZCC-1278

Whats a P50 or a P50A?

You mean P90, right?
    www.nostalgictrio.com Skyline - Silvia - Fairlady Z
    www.ozdat.com The Australian Datsun site.
    www.cafepress.com/vintagedatsun

Member ID
    CZCC-9867

yes
    p90 sorry about that one I must have been half asleep.
    John Thomas Bertrand
    Brown Datsun INC
    213 E Liberty ST
    Lyons, GA 30436

Member ID
    CZCC-6323

Are you going to rebuild this engine, or the one currently in your car? You may consider rebuilding the one you just bought. Then it's only a matter of swapping the old one out and installing an exhaust that will fit the header. Save the original engine & transmission, that way you can always revert the car back to stock, numbers matching, etc...
    Kenny P.

'73 240Z
    '82 ZX L28
    '82 ZX 5-speed
    Round top SU's
    Tokico HP struts
    Tokico Springs
    Urethane bushings

my gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-10327

Quote Originally Posted by kenz240z
    Are you going to rebuild this engine, or the one currently in your car? You may consider rebuilding the one you just bought. Then it's only a matter of swapping the old one out and installing an exhaust that will fit the header. Save the original engine & transmission, that way you can always revert the car back to stock, numbers matching, etc...
    My original engine was just rebuilt, so I won't be rebuilding the new one. I bought it more for some parts I would need and extra parts if something was to break. I figured 255 bucks now would save more than that if I needed something down the line.
    -Gregg Germer -

1975 280z - HLS30-210542

Member ID
    CZCC-10327

I went and looked at the engine in my car, it has an N42 in it with a stock exhaust manifold.

The engine I just got has a P90A with a 6-2-1 header. Now is this an easy swap out or a bit more complicated? I would really like to use this new exhaust system as it is quite nice, but my old engine has had a fresh rebuild. I am not that mechanicly inclined when it comes to engines, so bear with me if I ask some stupid questions.
    -Gregg Germer -

1975 280z - HLS30-210542

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

N42 head in your car has the same square ports as the P90a, so the header you just got should fit your existing head.

Member ID
    CZCC-10327

Quote Originally Posted by Arne
    N42 head in your car has the same square ports as the P90a, so the header you just got should fit your existing head.
    Sweet ... that is some good news to know! Thanks for the help ...
    -Gregg Germer -

1975 280z - HLS30-210542

Member ID
    CZCC-10327

Ok, for those who have been asking for the pictures of the Alternator. The alternator is made my Hitachi and has GNG stamped on it (can be seen in one of the photos).

So is this a ZX or just a regular one? I am wanting to upgrade to an internaly regulated one.

Thanks for the help....

Name:	engine_stuff 005.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	11103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine_stuff 006.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	11104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine_stuff 007.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	11105  
    -Gregg Germer -

1975 280z - HLS30-210542

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Does not look like a ZX alternator to me - definitely not the same as the ZX unit on my car.

Member ID
    CZCC-6323

Hmm, that sure looks a lot like the one I have on my '73.
    Kenny P.

'73 240Z
    '82 ZX L28
    '82 ZX 5-speed
    Round top SU's
    Tokico HP struts
    Tokico Springs
    Urethane bushings

my gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

The ZX alternator looks like this:

Name:	Picture 1.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	11107  

Thread Information