Thread: Hesitation/Misfire

Member ID
    CZCC-17476

Default Hesitation/Misfire

Hey guys, I've recently started having some trouble with my 260z. I just moved to Orlando from Panama City Beach for college (6-7 hr drive), and the Z did great up until I filled up with BP 87 octane. I always use either Shell or Citgo gas, but this time it was my only choice. Immediately after leaving the gas station and getting back onto the interstate, it had a hesitation under acceleration. It was pretty much undetectable while cruising.

I made it to Orlando, filled up with Shell 89 octane and the problem to go away. However, today RIGHT after picking up my friends from being rear-ended, my car lost all mechanical power and crawled to a halt. I figured I had ran out of gas maybe since my gauge is highly inaccurate. I put two gallons in it, and cranked it to death. After about 20 minutes we finally got it started. But, now again it is wanting to hesitate especially in 1-3 gears. I noticed if I applied the choke it would help considerably.

What might I have broken?

Member ID
    CZCC-1821

Sounds like bad (contaminated) gas from BP. Try checking fuel system filters for cheapest fix then escalate to pump/fuel pressure.

Member ID
    CZCC-2139

I have seen instances where water would get by everything and form little beads of water in the bottom of the float bowl essentially blocking the flow of fuel out through the nipple to the nozzle. Why the vacuum wouldn't pull the water droplets through, I have no clue, but "Thar She Lay".....

Just saying, look there also.....
    Bruce Palmer
    Salem Or
    Sales@ztherapy.com
    www.ztherapy.com
    503-587-9800

Member ID
    CZCC-17476

Hmm, good idea. I figured I'd order that clear fuel filter off of MSA and put that in.

From what I've seen on other forums, it looks like it could have been because the gas was E10. Apparently this atomizes poorly and also attracts water. I'm going to try and find some non E10 gas and top it off with 93 and hope for the best.

i can see the E10 being a problem especially since my car was tuned on non-E10 in a pseudo more northern climate(N.FL vs Central FL...7hrs apart). Also given that yesterday was balls out humid/steaming hot.

Member ID
    CZCC-15080

yeah, I think E10 could cause that. iirc you have to adjust it to run a bit "richer" for it to work right, and even then, E10 is a bit corrosive.
    Owner of:
    1978 280z HLS30-465974
    Current Progress:Tweaking, tuning, planning, waiting

Member ID
    CZCC-17476

Yea, when I eased out the choke(making it richer) it would run much smoother.

I'm going to try and go get it topped off with 93 this evening when not so hot/humid.

Thread Information